• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who feels that it's way too early for Hillary to pull ads out of CO and VA? I can get why they're confident all things considered. I feel when things start to tighten up a little (and they will eventually), panic will start settling in and they will go back to spending there. Just keep a steady flow going even if it's minimal. It's not like raising money is a problem.
First debate?

Yep. Rombot completely zapped Obama in the first debate. I remember being so depressed.

Am I the only one who feels that it's way too early for Hillary to pull ads out of CO and VA? I can get why they're confident all things considered. I feel when things start to tighten up a little (and they will eventually), panic will start settling in and they will go back to spending there. Just keep a steady flow going even if it's minimal. It's not like raising money is a problem.

Yep. Rombot completely zapped Obama in the first debate. I remember being so depressed.

It was the lack of oxygen!

Home field advantage!

FUCK THE BRONCOS

They can pivot if need be. There's little point in spending money in safe states with no Senate races to worry about. Campaigns don't have infinite money, spending in Colorado and Virginia isn't worthwhile at the moment, and probably never will be. Remember that Trump isn't spending there either and has seemingly given up.

ampere

This is so good. I love watching Obama talk behind the scenes, man. I'm so happy he served us as president

And holy shit at the roaring audience when Hillary goes on stage. Damn

1)That would mean you live in the same state as Eagles fans.. That what you want Ciao?

NFC doesn't bother me that much unless it's Giants fans. Atlanta is too damn hot lately

Iolo

Supposedly Priorities is planning on going back on the air at the end of the month, they are just taking a break.

I think you guys are right.

Lawrence O'Donnel is clearly trolling Trump. :lol :lol :lol

Tonight he's discussing Melania's immigration status. The other night he Lawrence was talking about Trump's mental status. He knows Trump watches MSNBC, so he's clearly trying to get under his skin. :lol

ampere

I mean, whatever they are doing is based on their Obama inspired analytics team and experienced political managers. I think they know what they're doing :p

Holmes

Palin announcement + RNC were a success for the McCain campaign. And then a week or so later.... the Couric interview and Obama started to recover. Lehman Brothers collapse only accelerated it, and the debates solidified his numbers. Not to mention he was outspending McCain and had a better GOTV operation (which doesn't really show itself in public polling).

User1608

Banned
In other news HuffPollster is now showing trump averaging around 39.7% in the polls.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-trump-vs-clinton
tumblr_mftdgyxaRx1rcb0d2o1_500.gif

No way... Wow that's low. Umm, keep up the horrid work Trump!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Palin announcement + RNC were a success for the McCain campaign. And then a week or so later.... the Couric interview and Obama started to recover. Lehman Brothers collapse only accelerated it, and the debates solidified his numbers. Not to mention he was outspending McCain and had a better GOTV operation (which doesn't really show itself in public polling).

Palin was at worst a net neutral effect on his campaign. It was Bush+the recession that doomed Republicans that year. Honestly I think she helped more than she hurt; she gave a voice to some real shitheads in that party that would go on to form the core of the tea party.

Palin was at worst a net neutral effect on his campaign. It was Bush+the recession that doomed Republicans that year. Honestly I think she helped more than she hurt; she gave a voice to some real shitheads in that party that would go on to form the core of the tea party.

It's been a long time, but I believe some actual analysis shows she cost 2-3 points to McCain. She was a disastrous pick.

But her rollout plus RNC did help the GOP for a very brief time.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Can't you say shit on cable? They say asshole on a lot of shows and I know South Park has done shit before.
Cable isn't regulated, so yes, CNN could let it's anchors say whatever they wanted, but they have to balance it with audience expectations and what advertisers are comfortable with. Considering CNN gets played in lots of public places, I imagine that limits how much CNN would like to copy other basic cable channels that have recently opened the floodgates on language.

lol Don Lemon just said Bullshit on air

whoops!
Yanked from FCC website:
Title 18 of the United States Code, Section 1464, prohibits the utterance of any obscene, indecent or profane language by means of radio communication. Consistent with a subsequent statute and court case, the Commission's rules prohibit the broadcast of indecent material during the period of 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. FCC decisions also prohibit the broadcast of profane material between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.

This applies to all broadcast media!
In the past, the FCC has enforced the indecency and profanity prohibitions only against conventional broadcast services, not against subscription programming services such as cable and satellite. However, the prohibition against obscene programming applies to subscription programming services at all times.
Worth a mention that in CNN's original programming they don't censor s-words at all. There's a bit of an "educational purposes/documentary/news" exception. Usually media go out of their way to be overcautious on it. Better safe than sorry.
https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/guides/obscenity-indecency-profanity-faq

Also also, the infraction depends on what maturity rating your show is run at! Any "normal" cable is typically TV-PG or TV-14 (like a Daily Show, etc). You can get away with more under TV-MA (like a South Park, etc). This is where more of the "it's on cable" is in play because they're often conservative in their ratings to bring in more advertisers and claim wider demographics for their shows.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Trump will definitely get a big in-booth bounce, and you could argue that the % of people who will decide to vote for Trump in the booth itself is going to get bigger the lower he goes in the polls (but low poll numbers can also discourage his own supporters and the opposition's). People will throw a protest vote his way, even more if they think they won't win, just like with Brexit.

We are still far away, but there is probably a bottom close to where he is now for Trump's numbers. He has a chance to do serious damage to Hillary in a debate, if he keeps relating everything to trade and Hillary being a warhawk. The thing is Trump has shown no ability in defending his own policies as well as some of his spokespersons. Someone could really run with the idea of putting tariffs on China, say Europe does it, say the WTO sucks, etc. It'd be easy to score points on that. But Trump is so incredibly bad at this.

I think it's very likely that Pence will do that kind of damage against Kaine in their debate if there is one. Hillary's camp will have to push Kaine as the pro-workers and pro-social-safety-net guy to counter that.

Grief.exe

Trump will definitely get a big in-booth bounce, and you could argue that the % of people who will decide to vote for Trump in the booth itself is going to get bigger the lower he goes in the polls (but low poll numbers can also discourage his own supporters and the opposition's). People will throw a protest vote his way, even more if they think they won't win, just like with Brexit.

People thought that in the primaries too, but he didn't outperform his polling enough to prove the point.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BTW, how stupid of Trump to not use Pence more. He should have him talk a lot more, but clearly Trump is an egomaniac. I never thought he would run that bad of a campaign. It feels like he is trying to crash it.

People thought that in the primaries too, but he didn't outperform his polling enough to prove the point.

He was doing well in the polls, so that's the opposite of what I'm talking about.

Iolo

You subscribe to the Bradley effect (shy Trump effect). So does Trump.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/donald-trump-polls-bias-224903

Is there a pool of voters who are too embarrassed to admit to pollsters they’re voting for Donald Trump?

As Trump consistently lags Hillary Clinton in general-election polls, his campaign is counting on it.

The notion of the “shy Trump voter” refers to the theory that there’s a group of voters who won’t admit their support for Trump in phone surveys, but will actually choose the controversial, presumptive GOP presidential nominee this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom