• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecotic

Assuming Trump loses in November (which is becoming a safer and safer bet to make), what kind of legacy will he have among the GOP?

I wonder if they're gonna see him as some kind of shyster who tricked the base into nominating him, but he might be their Savanarola, a fanatic who they regretfully agreed to follow in desperate times.

I can only see the Republican base becoming more and more isolated as they turn to a.m. radio, Fox News, and their fringe websites for answers.

I could see 2020's primary being a re-run of 2012's primaries except with the opposite result. Someone like Michelle Bachmann or Rick Santorum wins instead of the electable choice like Romney.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Man, I told everyone if Trump comes back to seattle I will join the protests. I assumed he wouldn't dare.

Now I am obligated to go protest!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Someone came up with actual statistics to show his hands are in the 15th percentile of all men before accounting for his above-normal height of 6'2". So really in the 5th-10th percentile. Science has proven them to be comically tiny. No photo will ever not look absurd to me. I don't question it.
There's also no way in hell Trump is 6'2. Maybe in his youth if we assume he's lost 3-4" due to old age, but otherwise, that's surely a silly exaggeration on someone's part. Just look at debate photos. If Trump is 6'2, Jeb would be like 6'5 or 6'6. So stupid.

I live in Portland as well. The one thing that could flip this state red is if enough former Bernie bros decided to not vote for Hillary. We have a remarkable echo-chamber around here pushing political ignorance on the far-left. It's in the state's culture to be 'different'.

I doubt that'll happen though. Drumpf scares people here all the same.

Yeah I have a bunch of friends from high school that mostly stayed around Portland that are serious Busters. They bought into Bernie hard from the looks of it and were posting videos of how sad his "concession" speech was at the DNC.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Isn't the big story here that he's admitting trump isn't going to win?

I fully expect them to throw donald under the bus and the party line in to be "vote for us downticket so we can be a check on Hillary Clinton" within the next few weeks.

the fun part of getting people to vote down the ticket is they need them to come out and vote

so the best case scenario is to come out huge against trump... not just "we're unable to support trump"

they need to feed the narrative that he's dangerous and people need to vote against him to help push voters to still vote and as a result help secure them their other seats.

But the GOP isn't that smart lol they'll cling to the desire for the supreme court seats and in the end lose everything

Teggy

Something I was thinking about (because I'm always worrying about the next possible disaster). In 2012 there was a big tightening in the polls after the first debate because Romney came out competent and Obama was a bit flat. I don't think we will get that kind of tightening this time, even if Trump takes it down a notch, because everyone is already well aware of who he is. Clinton would have to take a dump onstage.

At least, that's what I hope will be the case.

SexyFish

Banned
the fun part of getting people to vote down the ticket is they need them to come out and vote

so the best case scenario is to come out huge against trump... not just "we're unable to support trump"

they need to feed the narrative that he's dangerous and people need to vote against him to help push voters to still vote and as a result help secure them their other seats.

But the GOP isn't that smart lol they'll cling to the desire for the supreme court seats and in the end lose everything

Trump has been hammering those seats the last two rallies.

Donald Trump said:
"Even if people don’t like me, they have to vote for me. They have no choice,” Mr. Trump said. “Even if you can’t stand Donald Trump, you think Donald Trump is the worst, you’re going to vote for me. You know why? Justices of the Supreme Court. If they pick judges, we’re going to end up with another Venezuela, just a bigger version.”

Diablos

Taniel
Taniel‏ @Taniel

If CO & VA off, main Trump paths:
1—lose PA but sweep NV/IA/NH/OH/NC/FL (throws it to GOP House)
2—win PA & "only" need OH/FL/NC among above

So basically, if polling is stable for Hillary we'll be able to wait for PA to be called an then go to bed.
I won't let you down PoliGAF. Allegheny represent.

Iolo

Something I was thinking about (because I'm always worrying about the next possible disaster). In 2012 there was a big tightening in the polls after the first debate because Romney came out competent and Obama was a bit flat. I don't think we will get that kind of tightening this time, even if Trump takes it down a notch, because everyone is already well aware of who he is. Clinton would have to take a dump onstage.

Remember though, the narrative the media likes best is the comeback story.

Drakeon

I thought a large reason Obama wasn't prepared for the first debate was because he hadn't just spent months and months debating like in 08 and like Romney did in 2012. Given Clinton did spend a few months debating, I'm not really concerned with this happening. Especially since Trump can't hold a candle to Romney.

Retro

Hahaha, Maddow comparing Wisconsin Republicans fleeing Trump to the ghosts running away from Pac-Man when he eats a power pellet, sound effects and all.

Teggy

This right here is huge - this could make the Republicans a joke for the next generation and beyond.

Judd Legum
Judd Legum‏ @JuddLegum

Wow, Trump running a DISTANT fourth among voters under 30 in new poll

Hillary 41
Johnson 23
Stein 16
Trump 9

(link: http://goo.gl/nXUTCv) goo.gl/nXUTCv

TyrantII

I thought a large reason Obama wasn't prepared for the first debate was because he hadn't just spent months and months debating like in 08 and like Romney did in 2012. Given Clinton did spend a few months debating, I'm not really concerned with this happening. Especially since Trump can't hold a candle to Romney.

Eh. Romney pivoted on a dime from his primary rehtoric to the far right, to gee willakers centrist. Obama was caught off guard, and the media just let it slide cause they're more interested in the horse race, not holding candidates to their own words.

He should have been prepared, buy it's not surprising he was coached on the wrong tools to debate primary Romney.

He wiped the floor with him the following debates when they were ready.

This is amazing.

imrs.php

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Taniel
Taniel‏ @Taniel

If CO & VA off, main Trump paths:
1—lose PA but sweep NV/IA/NH/OH/NC/FL (throws it to GOP House)
2—win PA & "only" need OH/FL/NC among above

So basically, if polling is stable for Hillary we'll be able to wait for PA to be called an then go to bed.

Incumbent GOP Congressman in CO, and in a toss-up district put out an ad kind-of going against Trump.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mike-coffman-ad-donald-trump_us_57a34e10e4b04414d1f3b54e

has this one been posted?

http://billypenn.com/2016/08/04/latest-poll-hillary-clinton-is-up-40-points-in-the-philly-suburbs/

I'm hoping this year will be the last of the "PA is a swing state!" nonsense...but I know it won't be.

I'm sure Dave Wasserman will single-handedly keep that narrative going.

There's such a tendency to pretend that white working class voters are the only ones who matter. And in the case of Pennsylvania, you can amend that to rural white working class voters.

royalan

mo60

This is the first I've heard of this letter, but Governor Nixon is a Democrat.

Welp. So it's a democratic governor doing shady stuff like this.I hope this don't affect the governor race there since the democrat nominee for that race is currently beating his opponent pretty easily according to polls.

Conventional wisdom is that the incumbent president struggles in the first debate for this and other reasons. The extent to which that is true is difficult to determine, especially since there are so few data points (presidential debates have only been a regular thing since 1976).

Why would a crowd of people cheer when hearing their taxes are going to be raised.

How is anyone actually believing she said "are" instead of "aren't"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom