• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The CIA kills people for a living and has fucking abominable tricks in their bag we will never conceive of. They aren't being outsmarted or outmaneuvered by Donald "The Loose Fecal Sample" Trump.

Holmes

So I want Trump to go down in an epic and painful fashion but these reports of the IC going rogue and trying to take him down are pretty scary, especially if true, and I worry about future implications, especially if they are successful.

So I want Trump to go down in an epic and painful fashion but these reports of the IC going rogue and trying to take him down are pretty scary, especially if true, and I worry about future implications, especially if they are successful.

Yeah, I don't want to rely on the deep state to take him down. Let's take him down in 4 years. Legally.

The CIA kills people for a living and has fucking abominable tricks in their bag we will never conceive of. They aren't being outsmarted or outmaneuvered by Donald "The Loose Fecal Sample" Trump.
Cerberus sounds fucking scary though and an extremely formidable threat

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I would be alarmed if the CIA assassinated Trump. If the intel community leads to his downfall by leaking truthful info about his treason to the press, that's fine by me. As someone here said recently, this is an immune response. It's what our country needs. We can't afford four years of this administration.

Tall4Life

I mean, it's kind of their job. They aren't supposed to be stooges for the current administration, they're supposed to act as a third party to maintain order and investigate shit, beyond party influence. Yes they do have a lot of unchecked power but that's pretty much the point.

It's not. It's about intent and why you're making a gaffe. I can forgive honest screwups made in error. (Pretty sure there was a GOP one this cycle I had to pour cold water on.) I can't forgive ones that betray information about you.

This one hits on two fronts. One is the "where the F is your basic level of decorum on this subject." And this is getting amplified by the "all politics is local" thing, because having grown up in NOVA and experienced 9/11 through that lens, seeing someone who wants to run for VA office making that comment really rubs me the wrong way. And so the boring ex-military default option seems pretty ok to me.

I didn't have much of an opinion on the race before this and was going to look into it later. This flipped me off of him immediately.

First, it's a big gaffe and he apologized.

Second, "this subject" doesn't mean much here. We use a lot of terms that refer to terrible incidents. I get that it's personal to you, and no one has to justify why they feel something about a particular subject, but you've got to understand why other people don't really care about it.

This isn't really an issue if you run a real administration where you actually manage things. Trump can't be arsed to fill half the positions below Cabinet-level because he doesn't even know what positions need to be filled and what they do. This is how you get holdovers from past admins, and how you get employees to openly disrespect you.

I mean, it's not even like the IC is breaking into stuff to steal class info to leak; they're just not giving the usual "no comment" when asked about shit going on. That's textbook loyalty issues for the boss, and it's his fault it's happening.

Chichikov

The CIA really can only kill people with toys the military give them. Sometime they pay some shady goons to kill some people, but that usually doesn't work too well. Really, outside drones the only way they got to consistently manage to murder people that they wanted is to pay a ton of money to some corrupt general to do it for them.

Fuck Trump and all of that, but if there's an agency that he can outsmart, it's the good people of the CIA.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The CIA really can only kill people with toys the military give them. Sometime they pay some shady goons to kill some people, but that usually doesn't work too well. Really, outside drones the only way they got to consistently manage to murder people that they wanted is to pay a ton of money to some corrupt general to do it for them.

Fuck Trump and all of that, but if there's an agency that he can outsmart, it's the good people of the CIA.

I dunno, I'd argue the CIA has probably done many successful international operations that we will never know about and their most successful and most nefarious are likely to be the ones we'd never hear.

Hard to win a debate on that point since it's entirely hypothetical, but I do believe it.

Eh, Nazis literally rely on you saying this though. It's how ideas live and spread; they're repeated. If you remove the platform, then you halt the spread. The internet alone massively helped these people out, and the wrong response is to then give them coverage in the places they were wanting it for decades but couldn't get it.

For this specific example, Milo does not give a single shit what Maher says, at all (and let's be honest, they'll bond over "PC run amok!" shit). Milo is going to use his time just like Tim Kaine did in the VP debate; he'll just ignore the person sitting there and use the time on air to spout his shit.

I'm really starting to think we actually lost WW2. Lord knows we didn't defeat the Nazis.

The post you replied to wasn't talking about milo. Either way, I'm not afraid of ideas. And to quote Justice Brandeis - sunlight is the best disinfectant.

I'm not afraid of Nazis as well, plus Milo is Jewish...

UberTag

Outsmarted or outmaneuvered? Not a chance.

However, throwing Stephen Feinberg at the problem might make none of that necessary - because he commands financial resources, influence and the intelligence connections to compromise just about anyone if they value money, power and their jobs more than they do their principles or democracy.

sazzy

Can American companies be prevented from doing business with the Trump Org?

For example, can the AGs of CA and NY say, if you do business with the Trump Org, we will investigate you for possible bribery to the President?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can American companies be prevented from doing business with the Trump Org?

For example, can the AGs of CA and NY say, if you do business with the Trump Org, we will investigate you for possible bribery to the President?

You might be able to swing that in NY due to the strong anti-corruption laws, but even then it'd take a certain amount of evidence. If the Mar-a-lago situation was happening in NY it'd be game on, for example.

It's not that hard to throw Trump off though.

"Did you leak info to the media?"
"Why would I leak info about our awesome new President to the fake news people? We're going to make the CIA great again!"
*Trump walks off thinking his people are so loyal to him*

The post you replied to wasn't talking about milo. Either way, I'm not afraid of ideas. And to quote Justice Brandeis - sunlight is the best disinfectant.

I'm not afraid of Nazis as well, plus Milo is Jewish...

Brandeis was wrong. Shame is the best disinfectant.

And Milo is also gay, but that doesn't stop him from associating with groups that would have him chemically castrated if they could.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If LePen wins in France, the EU is finished : the Eurovoir referendum will be on the horizon, while Grexit amplifies again, while the US is obviously run by traitors who want nothing to do with a strong Europe, the UK is out, and the Germans will realize they would be the last ones holding the bag so they'll eject Merkel and co. Everyone will just want out at that point.

For this to be avoided, Trump would have to be impeached, his cronies arrested, a recommitment of the US as leader of the free world, and maybe some arrests in France and Germany of people suspected or known to be subserving the states, all of this before the French election. Highly unlikely.

The first step out of this mess is for Pence and the GOP leadership to impeach Trump. Without that, the catastrophe will get worst and the US will be irreversibly set back, along with Europe.

Chichikov

I dunno, I'd argue the CIA has probably done many successful international operations that we will never know about and their most successful and most nefarious are likely to be the ones we'd never hear.

Hard to win a debate on that point since it's entirely hypothetical, but I do believe it.
The CIA has an official historian, they write their own history and it's subject to FOIA. Some of that shit is still kept secret, but most of this stuff is public record.
Now yeah, you can claim that they kept all of their successes super secret, but if you look at history, pretty much everything the CIA fought really hard to keep a secret were their failures, in fact, they usually parade every success that they have all over the news (think about how many times you read stories about the Al Qaeda number 2 getting killed).

Also, public records from other countries/agencies don't seem to support that super secret CIA victories theory.

The CIA is however really good at cultivating relationship with US media and with Hollywood, which is in large part how they built this image of this amazing super-spy agency, even though they're such a complete failure in achieving the goal for which it was created that no one really even seriously task them with that job.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Brandeis was wrong. Shame is the best disinfectant.

And Milo is also gay, but that doesn't stop him from associating with groups that would have him chemically castrated if they could.

I should point out that quote is in reference to corruption, the Mobius is using in a context it was never meant to be used in.

The right is spinning this as the real scandal being that the Obama administration intercepted and recorded Flynn's (and the Trump administration's) phone calls

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The right is spinning this as the real scandal being that the Obama administration intercepted and recorded Flynn's (and the Trump administration's) phone calls

And it's not going to work. Everyone seems to understand how insane what's going on is, only the most diehard conservatives will buy that line.

You want new scandal? Joshua Kushner has been negotiating to buy the Marlins, now Loira (current owner) just got named to France as ambassador.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
And it's not going to work. Everyone seems to understand how insane what's going on is, only the most diehard conservatives will buy that line.

To be fair: do we have evidence that "everyone" is catching on now? Who's left who either wasn't already opposed to Trump or inside the right wing echo chamber and where are they vocalizing that they know how big of a deal this is?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
You want new scandal? Joshua Kushner has been negotiating to buy the Marlins, now Loira (current owner) just got named to France as ambassador.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Between this and Trump magically obtaining the trademark for his name in China right when he decides to recommit to the One China policy... so much blatant corruption.

sangreal

But he's the good Kushner. :eek:

You don't need to sell a sports team to become an ambassador. It's not like these owners actually manage these teams.

The rumored buyer is the elder Kushner, the felon. It won't be easy to get a sale to him approved so sweetening the pot would make sense

Wild speculation at this point though

Outsmarted or outmaneuvered? Not a chance.

However, throwing Stephen Feinberg at the problem might make none of that necessary - because he commands financial resources, influence and the intelligence connections to compromise just about anyone if they value money, power and their jobs more than they do their principles or democracy.
Come on, just when I was feeling hopeful...

Teggy

The rumored buyer is the elder Kushner, the felon. It won't be easy to get a sale to him approved so sweetening the pot would make sense

Wild speculation at this point though

The Kushners officially backed out of the bidding because they knew it looked bad.

studyguy

Perez and Ellison found having dinner together over DNC chair and how to move if either of them win. It's almost like both men realize the party is bigger than a single position.

Perez and Ellison found having dinner together over DNC chair and how to move if either of them win. It's almost like both men realize the party is bigger than a single position.

and here's erasure isaac otherworld with a two-post treatise on why this proves the party is colluding to elect hillary in 2020, leading directly to yet another thread lock

UberTag

If LePen wins in France, the EU is finished : the Eurovoir referendum will be on the horizon, while Grexit amplifies again, while the US is obviously run by traitors who want nothing to do with a strong Europe, the UK is out, and the Germans will realize they would be the last ones holding the bag so they'll eject Merkel and co. Everyone will just want out at that point.

For this to be avoided, Trump would have to be impeached, his cronies arrested, a recommitment of the US as leader of the free world, and maybe some arrests in France and Germany of people suspected or known to be subserving the states, all of this before the French election. Highly unlikely.

The first step out of this mess is for Pence and the GOP leadership to impeach Trump. Without that, the catastrophe will get worst and the US will be irreversibly set back, along with Europe.
What are the odds that the electoral process in France can be compromised to give LePen an undeserved win via an assist from Russian/US foreign influence? I mean, we're potentially talking about the death of the EU in 2-3 months time. With so much potentially riding on the outcome, I don't trust that election to simply be decided by the will of the French people.

What are the odds that the electoral process in France can be compromised to give LePen an undeserved win via an assist from Russian/US foreign influence? I mean, we're potentially talking about the death of the EU in 2-3 months time. With so much potentially riding on the outcome, I don't trust that election to simply be decided by the will of the French people.

Don't be dramatic. Any process to change things will take YEARS, and if EU really is as economically beneficial as we say then the economical hit will be seen way before too many states leave of EU.

If leaving EU actually benefits the economies of countries in question.. well then. Perhaps the nature of EU and Euro should be questioned. But if something is broken, I prefer fixing it instead of just discarding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom