• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Trump soon: who knew peace in the Middle East was so complicated? He looks like he got lost in a department store.

Diablos

The MacArthur Amendment already does that. The availability of a state waiver for essential benefits only starts after 2020. And states can allow insurers to charge higher premiums for pre-existing conditions starting in 2019, I believe.
Fucking bullshit.

They're going to do this.

Fucking bullshit.

They're going to do this.

They have to convince every single undecided to vote yes. They have to convince half a dozen nos to vote yes. They have to do this while also making sure no yeses change to no. This is assuming the estimates on yes/nos is accurate and there aren't some stragglers who are voting no, but aren't making it public (those voting yes but not making it public don't matter, we're counting nos, not yeses at this point)

Then it has to hit the senate. In the senate, they have to make sure they can pass it via reconciliation (they likely can't in its current state). If they can't, it's DOA. If they can, they have a margin of 3 senators that can vote no. That's a razor tight margin for a bill that's incredibly unpopular.

Then any changes the senate makes need to pass the House again. By this point, the House has had a recess to be yelled at and protested by their constitutes. So they're not going to be in the best spirits. But at this point they need to, again, muster up the same votes as the first bill, while also balancing the new Senate additions to the bill. Maybe the Senate added back in the pre-existing conditions stuff? RIP Tea Party votes.

Meanwhile a new CBO report will come out as well for the re-structured senate bill, and that'll be a fun time when it shows tens of millions will be left without insurance and costs will sky rocket. The public will continue to move more and more away from the bill. Protests will spring up. Ossoff will take his seat as a new congressman (thanks to this bill!). AARP will summon its swarm of elderly bees to poke at the GOP via endless letters and phone calls.

You gotta relax and breath and look at what's going on outside the lens of "everything that is bad will always happen because a couple bad things happened."

Pixieking

Banned
I got a Reuters alert saying Palestinians recognize the state of Israel. Is this as huge as it sounds?

Yes and no...

Barak Ravid‏Verified account @BarakRavid 21m21 minutes ago

Abbas to Trump: we want Israel to recognize the Palestinian state like we recognize the state of Israel

Bibi recognising Palestine ain't gonna happen anytime soon, so it's mostly for show.

Pixieking

Banned
Bibi will react by announcing more illegal settlements.

Most likely... Abbas loses nothing whilst seeming to give ground. *shrugs*

Unrelated

Review
Before Michelle, Barack Obama asked another woman to marry him. Then politics got in the way.

A massive new biography sheds light on the relationships, sacrifices and calculations that enabled the Obama presidency.

Of the books that journalists and historians have written on the life of Barack Obama, three stand out so far. In “Barack Obama: The Story,” David Maraniss shows us who Obama is. In “Reading Obama,” James T. Kloppenberg explains how Obama thinks. In “The Bridge,” David Remnick tells us what Obama means.

Now, in a probing new biography, “Rising Star,” David J. Garrow attempts to do all that, but also something more: He tells us how Obama lived, and explores the calculations he made in the decades leading up to his winning the presidency. Garrow portrays Obama as a man who ruthlessly compartmentalized his existence; who believed early on that he was fated for greatness; and who made emotional sacrifices in the pursuit of a goal that must have seemed unlikely to everyone but him. Every step — whether his foray into community organizing, Harvard Law School, even the choice of whom to love — was not just about living a life but about fulfilling a destiny.

Barzul

Most likely... Abbas loses nothing whilst seeming to give ground. *shrugs*

Unrelated

Review
Before Michelle, Barack Obama asked another woman to marry him. Then politics got in the way.

I read this and in my opinion the biographers conclusions are bullshit. It's almost expecting Obama to be perfect in the way he projected himself and lived his life. We all put out the best versions of ourselves to the public and Bams did no different. I got pissed off reading how Obama didn't really care for his ex because he though he would need to be married to an African American to hit the political heights he wanted. So? He still asked her to marry him twice and she said no both times. He also chose not to run with "Barry" as his name even though it polled better than Barack, hows that for authentic. It's like some people expect this mythical Christ-like image of perfection from Obama. He was just like a lot of us are driven, fallible but a great and unforgettable President. Anyways yeah I did not come away reading that having a good opinion of the biographer. The content was definitely interesting though and worth reading for that alone.

dakini

So I called my congressman to see if he's made a decision on the healthcare bill and the lady that picked up the phone said that he hasn't made his mind up and that he doesn't tell people how he's going to vote and will only release a statement after the vote has been made.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So I called my congressman to see if he's made a decision on the healthcare bill and the lady that picked up the phone said that he hasn't made his mind up and that he doesn't tell people how he's going to vote and will only release a statement after the vote has been made.

Really serving the constituency well

who was this? mine is pulling the same stunt, except his staff havent explicitly said theyre waiting until the vote

Probably waiting to see how the vote looks before making a call.

Pixieking

Banned

Government by the people for the people, for sure.

Apparently FEMA funding has a deductible?

FEMA won't give my city funding because we don't meet the minimum damage cost. So now my city it out of 11 million to repair damages from a massive windstorm last month.

So I guess if you're a small area you're out of luck if disaster strikes? My area isn't even particularly small.

Maxim726X

They have to convince every single undecided to vote yes. They have to convince half a dozen nos to vote yes. They have to do this while also making sure no yeses change to no. This is assuming the estimates on yes/nos is accurate and there aren't some stragglers who are voting no, but aren't making it public (those voting yes but not making it public don't matter, we're counting nos, not yeses at this point)

Then it has to hit the senate. In the senate, they have to make sure they can pass it via reconciliation (they likely can't in its current state). If they can't, it's DOA. If they can, they have a margin of 3 senators that can vote no. That's a razor tight margin for a bill that's incredibly unpopular.

Then any changes the senate makes need to pass the House again. By this point, the House has had a recess to be yelled at and protested by their constitutes. So they're not going to be in the best spirits. But at this point they need to, again, muster up the same votes as the first bill, while also balancing the new Senate additions to the bill. Maybe the Senate added back in the pre-existing conditions stuff? RIP Tea Party votes.

Meanwhile a new CBO report will come out as well for the re-structured senate bill, and that'll be a fun time when it shows tens of millions will be left without insurance and costs will sky rocket. The public will continue to move more and more away from the bill. Protests will spring up. Ossoff will take his seat as a new congressman (thanks to this bill!). AARP will summon its swarm of elderly bees to poke at the GOP via endless letters and phone calls.

You gotta relax and breath and look at what's going on outside the lens of "everything that is bad will always happen because a couple bad things happened."

None of what you say is false, but now what looked like a certainty a few days ago is a lot murkier... Freedom Caucus stands by its support of the bill as long as the MacArthur amendment is in place. That's the hurdle they had to overcome.

It will still probably die once it goes back to the House a second time, but I wanted this to be a complete and utter embarrassment to the party... It would be a lot less embarrassing were this to actually get past the House the first time.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I read this and in my opinion the biographers conclusions are bullshit. It's almost expecting Obama to be perfect in the way he projected himself and lived his life. We all put out the best versions of ourselves to the public and Bams did no different. I got pissed off reading how Obama didn't really care for his ex because he though he would need to be married to an African American to hit the political heights he wanted. So? He still asked her to marry him twice and she said no both times. He also chose not to run with "Barry" as his name even though it polled better than Barack, hows that for authentic. It's like some people expect this mythical Christ-like image of perfection from Obama. He was just like a lot of us are driven, fallible but a great and unforgettable President. Anyways yeah I did not come away reading that having a good opinion of the biographer. The content was definitely interesting though and worth reading for that alone.

It's the same for all minorities and women.
They are held to another standard, separate from straight white males.

It's why the media, consciously or not, failed so miserably covering Clinton "scandals".
Why the emails got so much coverage, when Trump was caught deleting evidence in court cases, and Pence used personal email while he was in office and that barely got any coverage.

None of what you say is false, but now what looked like a certainty a few days ago is a lot murkier... Freedom Caucus stands by its support of the bill as long as the MacArthur amendment is in place. That's the hurdle they had to overcome.

It will still probably die once it goes back to the House a second time, but I wanted this to be a complete and utter embarrassment to the party... It would be a lot less embarrassing were this to actually get past the House the first time.

Having votes in both chambers is probably the ideal scenario, but it's the riskier scenario.

Diablos

So the MacArthur amendment is all the FC wanted, and they got it. Senate probably won't care if this delays the worst parts until 2020

PBY

Banned
So the MacArthur amendment is all the FC wanted, and they got it. Senate probably won't care if this delays the worst parts until 2020

Yup.

I think its the closest we've been to this actually happening.

edit: I wish there was more activity on the Dem side right now, feel like they could be doing more (totally could also be that they are doing things that aren't being covered).

Diablos

I understand but the dynamic changes when Republicans don't even need to worry about how it impacts people until 2020. Americans have short memories. The Senate won't care as much

Yup.

I think its the closest we've been to this actually happening.

edit: I wish there was more activity on the Dem side right now, feel like they could be doing more (totally could also be that they are doing things that aren't being covered).
Dems are a mess. I still can't stop smh at the Perez and Sanders reunion bullshit or whatever that was. They haven't sucked this bad since Dukakis

Worst case scenario and it clears both chambers there's still the silver lining that any governors who opt out of pre-existing conditions will probably nuke their party's control at state-level.

I still don't think it's going to make it to Trump's desk tho.

Diablos

Worst case scenario and it clears both chambers there's still the silver lining that any governors who opt out of pre-existing conditions will probably nuke their party's control at state-level.

I still don't think Trump will win the nomination

Dems are a mess. I still can't stop smh at the Perez and Sanders reunion bullshit or whatever that was. They haven't sucked this bad since Dukakis

What's wrong with that tour? It's getting people who thought Perez was a neoliberal shill back on board.

Dem pols aren't really in a position to do anything about this except vote no, but y'all can make some calls or something if you're worried about this. Organizers are doing exactly that right now.

sangreal

the opt-outs are delayed so that the GOP won't take any immediate heat for it, naturally

but I also think medicaid expansion has shown that people won't take their local government to task for letting them down

PBY

Banned
Dem pols aren't really in a position to do anything about this except vote no, but y'all can make some calls or something if you're worried about this. Organizers are doing exactly that right now.

Dems have to be fucking creative, there are many things they could be doing. Not a lot seems to be breaking through.

Vixdean

I'm still not sure on how all these proposed changes make it into a reconciliation bill. Did the Senate parliamentarian ever decide that on the original bill?

sangreal

But if they can lapse protections in 2020 they'll probably have to state their intent before 2020, I'd think. Even then I was talking down the road not immediately.

Sure, but it won't do us much good if the GOP controls most states through the 2020 census and redistricting again

Dems have to be fucking creative, there are many things they could be doing. Not a lot seems to be breaking through.

I'm getting emails about this every day from the major voices in the party, they're posting about it on social media. What more can they do besides telling people to call their MOCs? They are in no position to stop this bill on their own, the pressure needs to come from constituents.

Blader

Didn't Dems just secure a funding bill that gave them everything they wanted and rejected everything Trump wanted?

Except that they are related, in that, the GOP just says fuckit and puts party first.

If the GOP will just say fuck it and put party first on everything, then there's no reason for any of us to do anything but suffer for the next two years, because no amount of activism or pushback will do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom