• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

Apparently FEMA funding has a deductible?

FEMA won't give my city funding because we don't meet the minimum damage cost. So now my city it out of 11 million to repair damages from a massive windstorm last month.

So I guess if you're a small area you're out of luck if disaster strikes? My area isn't even particularly small.

Think about it this way: if FEMA funding was "whatever is in excess of your annual disaster budget" then a bunch of cities would set their disaster budget at $1 and rake in the FEMA money.

No doubt it should be scaled to municipality size, though. Town of 5,000 shouldn't have to spend more than $100k before federal money starts kicking in, while New York could drop 100 million without breaking a sweat.

Blader

Yes. Pelosi is a genius.

I'm talking about the party as in messaging. It's awful.

I never understand what some people are talking about when they drop in "messaging" as a complaint without any kind of context or reference points around it. All I know is, this is the same party that mobilized historic levels of opposition to cabinet nominees, toed the line on blocking Gorsuch, just won a spending debate that gave them all their wins and this administration nothing, and successfully mobilized voters and activists into stopping the House's first healthcare attempt. There's really only so much a minority party can do, but given that just a few months ago many of us were already dreading what we thought would be the fast-moving erasure of Barack Obama's entire legacy, the Democratic firewall seems pretty strong (or about as strong as it's going to get in this Congress) and has held steady for the last 100+ days.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I never understand what some people are talking about when they drop in "messaging" as a complaint without any kind of context or reference points around it. All I know is, this is the same party that mobilized historic levels of opposition to cabinet nominees, toed the line on blocking Gorsuch, just won a spending debate that gave them all their wins and this administration nothing, and successfully mobilized voters and activists into stopping the House's first healthcare attempt. There's really only so much a minority party can do, but given that just a few months ago many of us were already dreading what we thought would be the fast-moving erasure of Barack Obama's entire legacy, the Democratic firewall seems pretty strong (or about as strong as it's going to get in this Congress) and has held steady for the last 100+ days.

For the last 100+ days, messaging from democrats has been quite good. It's going to take time to overcome the disaster of the previous years of GOP branding, though.

@AlexNBCNews

Rep Amodei (R-NV) still a no on healthcare even w/ Upton amdnt but working toward yes. Says Trump called him ystdy,meets w/ VP & Spkr today

This is basically speak for, I will be a Yes by the time we vote.

I just hope Dems are ready to go on the offensive. Overall, their messaging is terrible, so who knows.

studyguy

You gotta get off Twitter before you have a stroke. Just let it play out and get occasional updates every few hours on major developments.

It's like watching a series of car crashes though where everyone driving actively knows they're going to crash but don't care and would prefer they speed up before impact.

Slayven

Are we at the point that a man having a relationship before he meets the woman he will marry is seen as a bad thing?

Wilsongt

He made a reference to Trump "being Putin's cock holster".

Apparently that means he hates gay people?

That's not being homophobic
That's being honest.

And I am sorry, saying Trump is Putin's personal cock goblin is no where near on the same level as saying gays cause hurricanes, deserve to burn for eternity, are ripping America apart, and gave your child a cold.

Owzers

Spicer: We want everyone to be able to get the care they need

CBO: 24 million losing health insurance in 10 years or whatever.

Yeah those two things sound like they can coexist.

This is so fucked up

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/03/us/code-pink-sessions-laughter-trial.html
A jury on Wednesday convicted three Code Pink protesters on charges that they disrupted the confirmation hearing of Jeff Sessions for attorney general — including a Virginia woman who said all she did was break out in laughter. Each could face up to 12 months in prison.

The Virginia woman, Desiree A. Fairooz, was found guilty of the two charges she faced: disorderly conduct and parading or demonstrating on Capitol grounds.

The jury also convicted two other activists in the group she was with, Tighe Barry and Lenny Bianchi, who were dressed as Ku Klux Klan members with white hoods and robes and stood up before the Jan. 10 hearing started.

They were acquitted on a count of disorderly conduct but were convicted on two separate charges of parading or demonstrating, Mr. Barry said.

Jim Renacci has come out in support of AHCA. He wasn't listed as no or undecided before or anything like that. He's also planning on running for Ohio Governor in 2018 so.... good luck with that!

Owzers

I'm pretty sure spicer just blushed when talking about trump bringing peace to the Middle East. What's different this time: "the man."

Literally Roman Reigns hype levels.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm pretty sure spicer just blushed when talking about trump bringing peace to the Middle East. What's different this time: "the man."

Literally Roman Reigns hype levels.

The only upside to this is Trump is such a fucking moron he probably actually thinks he could sit down with the leaders of ISIS and talk it out. Such a dealmaker!

I say we let him give it a shot.

The only upside to this is Trump is such a fucking moron he probably actually thinks he could sit down with the leaders of ISIS and talk it out. Such a dealmaker!

I say we let him give it a shot.
Well Trump does parrot whatever the last guy he met says. Since he's meeting with Abbas he might favor two state solution again.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Well Trump does parrot whatever the last guy he met says. Since he's meeting with Abbas he might favor two state solution again.

Somehow Trump gets out of that meeting alive and comes back a devout Muslim. Goes on TV and says "What you think we're so innocent? You think we haven't beheaded people?" Immigration from Christian-majority nations is restricted.

Republican party favorables on Muslims and ISIS leap from -40 to +50.

That's good, my concerns are basically resolved (although earmarking the speaking fee would be nice). He should've said so in the first place!

Since when does he or anyone else have to keep you (or anyone else) abreast of his charitable donations, in relation to money he receives for services/speeches/etc?

I'm not a fan of Wall St speeches, Obama won't be giving as many as Clinton, but still. Jeez

pigeon

Banned
Obama is grown fucking man, the need to police him is fucking sickening

He's the leader of the Democratic Party. Nobody made him decide to become that! He knew what the job entailed.

Since when does he or anyone else have to keep you (or anyone else) abreast of his charitable donations, in relation to money he receives for services/speeches/etc?

Since he became President of the United States of America and took control of the Democratic Party?

I mean, if people want to reopen this argument in response to me saying I'm glad Obama did this, I guess I'm fine with that, but my position still hasn't changed. I said then that if Obama donated the money to charity I would be fine with it, so now I'm fine with it, but he could make it even more explicit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom