• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
OKay, but like, to stop the AHCA, what could they be doing to stop it?
Every single congressperson should be on TV right now ringing alarm bells.

They need to break through the media, I haven't seen shit today. A twitter or Facebook message isn't enough.

jtb

Banned
what's the GOP house strategy on the AHCA? send the bill to die in the senate and hope everyone looks the other way in 2018?

I don't understand where the political will for this is coming from; I kinda just assumed they were all craven enough to do nothing rather than go down in flames doing something they "believe" in

PBY

Banned
what's the GOP house strategy on the AHCA? send the bill to die in the senate and hope everyone looks the other way in 2018?

I don't understand where the political will for this is coming from; I kinda just assumed they were all craven enough to do nothing rather than go down in flames doing something they "believe" in
Why are we assuming it will die in the senate?

kirblar

They need to break through the media, I haven't seen shit today. A twitter or Facebook message isn't enough.
No, they shouldn't. Because at this point, people are aware of the issue. The GOP is giving itself a gigantic case of blueballs w/ the vote scheduling and cancelling happening over and over and over again, and at this point freaking out over it is a massive case of chicken-littleing.

The people to target for lobbying are limited and located in the GOP districts with members in flux. That isn't most people. I'm in Comstock's and would have called by now, except she's already a hard no, so I don't need to.

Also, to echo pigeon's point, you may watch too much TV, or none at all.
Why are we assuming it will die in the senate?
Because killing the fillibuster to ram this through would be insanity.

numble

OKay, but like, to stop the AHCA, what could they be doing to stop it?
Last week, they did threaten to not vote for the CR if they had a AHCA vote, but that ship has sailed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...-gop-votes-obamacare-repeal-article-1.3107939

"If Republicans announce their intention to bring their harmful TrumpCare bill to the House Floor tomorrow or Saturday, I will oppose a one-week Continuing Resolution and will advise House Democrats to oppose it as well," House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said in a Thursday statement. “If Republicans pursue this partisan path of forcing Americans to pay more for less and destabilizing our county's health care system —without even knowing how much their bill will cost — Republicans should be prepared to pass a one-week Continuing Resolution on their own."

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) relayed the same message to House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) Thursday morning.

Klobuchar said on Pod Save America that she doesn't think there is any will to nuke the legislative filibuster, she could be wrong of course but that would be the first major hurdle to this passing the senate.

I'm referencing the financial crisis when I say the world changed in 2008 fwiw.

10000000 billion dollars. He just fucking signed a 60 million dollar book deal. I don't give a fuck about the money.

I care about the party winning. The party's most popular, visible figure giving speeches to Wall Street doesn't help with the party's perception that they are out of touch elites.

Saying they're out of touch is misleading...they clearly don't care about their own. They care more and prioritize white men who are big shots on Wall St. Look at how well these predominantly white men did vs. their base. Not even close. Their die hard supporters lost their jobs, homes, and self-esteem. Some of them flipped towards Trump or stayed home. It's not a perception that just suddenly popped out of the ether lol. No need to dance around the truth.

PBY

Banned
No, they shouldn't. Because at this point, people are aware of the issue. The GOP is giving itself a gigantic case of blueballs w/ the vote scheduling and cancelling happening over and over and over again, and at this point freaking out over it is a massive case of chicken-littleing.

The people to target for lobbying are limited and located in the GOP districts with members in flux. That isn't most people. I'm in Comstock's and would have called by now, except she's already a hard no, so I don't need to.

Also, to echo pigeon's point, you may watch too much TV, or none at all.

Because killing the fillibuster to ram this through would be insanity.

Flake's a no on nuking it.

Klobuchar said on Pod Save America that she doesn't think there is any will to nuke the legislative filibuster, she could be wrong of course but that would be the first major hurdle to this passing the senate.

My understanding was that they could still pass this through reconciliation. Is that not the case?

My understanding was that they could still pass this through reconciliation. Is that not the case?

The only way they could pass stuff like the pre-existing conditions waiver is to overrule the Parliamentarian, which would in effect be nuking the filibuster. So no.

pigeon

Banned
I'm hesitant to assume anything. People should be stressed out.

This is still the same extremely unpopular bill from a month ago, except with additional unpopularity, just to be clear. It will still put more people out of insurance than just repealing Obamacare.

Even with reconciliation there's no way they get 50 votes. Too many Senators like Cotton in states with high ACA enrollment. Reps aren't as visible and the job mostly sucks. Senators have cushy gigs and aren't going to fuck themselves out of those jobs for this shitheap of a bill.

jtb

Banned
I realize I'm a few days late on this, but what would you shut the government down over?

Mexico wall funding? ACA repeal?

numble

The only way they could pass stuff like the pre-existing conditions waiver is to overrule the Parliamentarian, which would in effect be nuking the filibuster. So no.
The Parliamentarian could agree that those are terms of provisions that affect the budget, or those provisions could be structured to have some budget effect (such as affecting the payments that states or insurers in that state receive based on what the states waive). We also do not know how the Parlimentarian would rule to know that they would need to overrule her.

Maybe I should call Labrador's office and tell him I don't want Obamacare Lite. That actually might be more effective than telling him not to try and repeal it lol

Though even if this doesn't pass the Senate it can still be damaging, like the cap-and-trade bill that passed the House but never got to the Senate.

Boke1879

Seriously. Let the House pass this. All the shitty details will come out. The Senate Bill if they even take it on will be so watered down. The House won't have any of it.

I'm sure most of this is just to pass something in the House and claim some sort of victory.

RoKKeR

So confused by this, what the hell are the GOP doing? As far as I'm aware this is the same bill but with the potential for those with pre-existing conditions to be screwed over by the states? Isn't the AMA and AARP still against this thing?

So confused by this, what the hell are the GOP doing? As far as I'm aware this is the same bill but with the potential for those with pre-existing conditions to be screwed over by the states? Isn't the AMA and AARP still against this thing?

As are like 70% of the country

I've never quite seen a party so aggressively set on losing midterms as the GOP right now.

The Parliamentarian could agree that those are terms of provisions that affect the budget, or those provisions could be structured to have some budget effect (such as affecting the payments that states or insurers in that state receive based on what the states waive). We also do not know how the Parlimentarian would rule to know that they would need to overrule her.

Literally the whole point of the reconciliation process is that it only applies to matters that EXCLUSIVELY deal with the budget. Everything Congress does effects the budget if you add enough degrees of separation to it; the new "mandate" put the bill on thin ice as it was. No way does an Essential Health Benefits/Pre-Existing Conditions waiver pass muster.

Diablos

Literally the whole point of the reconciliation process is that it only applies to matters that EXCLUSIVELY deal with the budget. Everything Congress does effects the budget if you add enough degrees of separation to it; the new "mandate" put the bill on thin ice as it was. No way does an Essential Health Benefits/Pre-Existing Conditions waiver pass muster.
Can the parliamentarian be fired?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm quite content with this passing the House.

This is a "Please proceed, governor" moment for democrats running for the House in 2018.

I can't tell you how fucking angry it makes me when people try to give Trump a pass on his words that they'll desperately resort to "...b..but Colbert said ..."

What the fuck is wrong with people.

It is INSANE to me that people think like this and are jumping on a bandwagon to paint Colbert to be something he's not.

I'm quite content with this passing the House.

This is a "Please proceed, governor" moment for democrats running for the House in 2018.

I'm not so sure.

We already have enough to go off of them breaking promises and not being able to put together a bill. I don't think it's worth the additional stress worrying if this passes the house even if it eventually does fail in the senate.

I'd just prefer for it to be dead.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/03/obamacare-repeal-democrats-237882?lo=ap_d1

House Democrats think they've finally found their path back to power: Republicans voting to repeal Obamacare.

Yes, the best thing to happen to House Democrats since they pushed through the sprawling health care law — and lost the majority as a result — could be the Republican drive to dismantle it.

”I think the Republicans are playing Russian roulette with this vote," said Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.). ”There's no question in competitive districts where you've got a potentially vulnerable Republican incumbent, this could make or break you."

Democrats don't actually want the law repealed. Under their dream scenario, House GOP leaders would muscle through their controversial health care bill only to watch it die a long, painful death in the Senate, where it has already received a lukewarm reception from Republicans. Obamacare would stay intact while the House Republicans who voted to gut the law have a big shiny target on their back heading into the 2018 midterms

The attack ads write themselves, Democrats argue. And they are betting the House on it.

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee has already hit Republicans who voted for an earlier version of the health bill in committee. And just last week, before many Republicans had even weighed in on the latest proposal, the DCCC launched digital ads in 30 districts held by vulnerable Republicans.

That drumbeat will be even more relentless if Republicans actually bring the bill to the floor.

”I think we feel increasingly that public opinion has swung to our point of view. And that accountability is going to be a big factor in next year's election because of this vote," Connolly said. ”There's a cadre of 35 to 40 Republicans who are staring death in the face if they give their vote."

I said in the other thread that voting and failing is one of the worst options. If they aren't confidant secretly, than they will pull the vote. Either way voting for this bill is suicide for the chances for some Republicans. It is like putting a gun to their head and voting for a bill that can have high chance of costing them their seats. I think some of them might get cold feet at the last second.

No they didn't.

Occupy certainly made the 1% enter the public lexicon, or at least make it way, way more popular of a term than before.

Stop trying to rewrite history.
Yes, it replaced "generic wealthy people" with a number and a % sign. It also created human megaphones and idiotic hand signals. And then it fizzled out, since they weren't the 99%. They were a bunch of weirdos that most people couldn't relate to.

And ultimately still achieved little if anything in the way of the tangible. Because no one even remembers what the goal was, if there even was one.

The Tea Party at least managed to get some horrible people elected.

Yes, it replaced "generic wealthy people" with a number and a % sign. It also created human megaphones and idiotic hand signals. And then it fizzled out, since they weren't the 99%. They were a bunch of weirdos that most people couldn't relate to.

And ultimately still achieved little if anything in the way of the tangible. Because no one even remembers what the goal was, if there even was one.

The Tea Party at least managed to get some horrible people elected.

Rolling jamboree was a result.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/03/obamacare-repeal-democrats-237882?lo=ap_d1

I said in the other thread that voting and failing is one of the worst options. If they aren't confidant secretly, than they will pull the vote. Either way voting for this bill is suicide for the chances for some Republicans. It is like putting a gun to their head and voting for a bill that can have high chance of costing them their seats. I think some of them might get cold feet at the last second.
I think they're right that "passes the House, fails the Senate" is probably the best outcome, but I still don't really want to gamble on it. I have no faith in "moderate" Senate Rs like McCain, Collins etc. who've backed every single thing Trump's done while half-heartedly poo-pooing it.

I feel like tomorrow is going to be a very long day, between the health care vote and the LGBT stuff. Giving me genuine anxiety. Even if the ACLU sues its an absolute tragedy to even put people through that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yea, but seeing Ryan and Trump suffer another embarrassing loss would be nice as well.

Agreed.

I'm not so sure.

We already have enough to go off of them breaking promises and not being able to put together a bill. I don't think it's worth the additional stress worrying if this passes the house even if it eventually does fail in the senate.

I'd just prefer for it to be dead.

They need 60 in the Senate, and no democrats will vote for this.

sangreal

There is no way they vote for it without being sure it will pass unless Trump forces them to, like he almost did last time

I'm kind of wondering what this magic McConnell bill that passes reconciliation and makes everyone happy does?

Like it can't cover pre-existing conditions or you lose the Freedom Caucus, so I'm not really sure what the plan here is?

Blader

I do think they should be shouting about Medicare for all and about how much better that would be instead of just thinking the Republicans will allow this to fail
Medicare for all is not the bill being put on the floor.

The alarm bells have been rung. The bill is already widely unpopular. If it passes, it'll be in spite of many of these congressmen's constituents.

Diablos

I'm kind of wondering what this magic McConnell bill that passes reconciliation and makes everyone happy does?

Like it can't cover pre-existing conditions or you lose the Freedom Caucus, so I'm not really sure what the plan here is?
MacArthur amendment lets them kick that can down the road.

House doesn't really care. They just want to pass on responsibility to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom