• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
idk, Comey was basically in a position where no action could result in him not being scorned. Either he didn't say anything, it leaks, and he looks like a partisan hack covering things up for "crooked Hillary" (and the election maybe goes even MORE south since it plays even more perfectly into the narrative), or he goes against policy, says something, it leaks, and he looks like a partisan hack trying to rig things for Trump.

Comey valued the public opinion of the FBI more than he valued out democratic process. The man was caught in a prison of his own vanity.

Huh? Why?

It could be tactical. So far the Intel Committee has refused to issue subpoenas. If Rice forces their hands, then Burr will have to also relent to subpoena others as well.

studyguy

Comey valued the public opinion of the FBI more than he valued out democratic process. The man was caught in a prison of his own vanity.

Absolutely, he'd done this same exact thing of trying to get ahead of the story and control the narrative NUMEROUS times before if you follow that NYT story.

This time it just blew up on him.

My friend lives in GA-6 and said younger folks are going crazy about Ossof. I thought that was weird. Usually young liberals dont care about midterms let alone off year elections. But also that Handel has a huge presence. It could be a nailbiter imo.

The pointless article about Obama almost marrying a white woman and how that would've affected his presidential politics are a first look at how Kamala's gonna be treated on a national stage for having a white husband. At the very least, they're gonna have to try to hit the ground running on framing him as a woke white dude.

Blader

"Thinks?"
Haha, right. All anyone has been saying about Senate Republicans is that they're going to water it down.

The mostly pointless article about Obama almost marrying a white woman and how that would've affected his presidential politics are a first look at how Kamala's gonna be treated on a national stage for having a white husband. At the very least, they're gonna have to try to hit the ground running on framing him as a woke white dude.
I feel like sexism will win out in keeping Kamala's husband's race from being a liability or much of a talking point.

pigeon

Banned
The pointless article about Obama almost marrying a white woman and how that would've affected his presidential politics are a first look at how Kamala's gonna be treated on a national stage for having a white husband. At the very least, they're gonna have to try to hit the ground running on framing him as a woke white dude.

Black woman white man is a totally different dynamic than white woman black man in terms of Fanonesque race-sex politics, though.

Black woman white man is a totally different dynamic than white woman black man in terms of Fanonesque race-sex politics, though.
It definitely is. which is why it'll likely be more of an issue among black people than white people. Serena's engagement being a recent example.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Many Heavy Rain fans in that room.

tumblr_inline_nxqlpr0QBg1r1tnjm_540.jpg

pigeon

Banned
It definitely is. which is why it'll likely be more of an issue among black people than white people. Serena's engagement being a recent example.

I buy that, but do you really think they would refuse to vote for her just based on that? Maybe so! It seems surprising to me though.

I buy that, but do you really think they would refuse to vote for her just based on that? Maybe so! It seems surprising to me though.
I think Kamala definitely has to just make herself a clear champion of everything and all things black early on. A lot of the (sometimes misguided) concern black people have with people in interracial relationships is trust. Trust that they're not "sell outs". Especially since she'll be competing up against preacher-voiced Booker.

studyguy

http://www.newsweek.com/illegal-immigration-pac-rescinds-trump-endorsement-594059

Trump Loses Anti-Illegal Immigration Group Endorsement
When the Americans for Legal Immigration Political Action Committee endorsed Donald Trump in February 2016, the decision angered PAC members who supported the candidacy of Ted Cruz or believed Trump was untrustworthy.

This week, ALIPAC President William Gheen announced those doubting members were correct, saying that Trump had “betrayed” their vision of stricter immigration laws and that the PAC would rescind its endorsement of the president.

“It’s clear that we’ve been betrayed on the issues that gave him his greatest power to defeat his primary opponents and Hillary Clinton, which are the promises to end DACA amnesty and dangerous refugee resettlement programs,” Gheen tells Newsweek, referring to the Deferred Action Childhood Arrivals program. Gheen dismissed claims by Trump supporters that the president’s attempts to do just that have been stymied by Democrats or the courts.

SAD!

Thinking it will probably pass, makes it that much more delicious that the Senate will have to deal with this shit.

For all the handwringing that people won't notice because the effects won't happen until 2020, that makes little sense when Obamacare killed dozens of careers before even a single provision was implemented. If the public is against a bill and you vote for it, expect to be blasted on it.

I said it in the hearing thread and I'll say it here:

Stop trying to think of Comey as "Good Guy" or "Bad Guy". Comey is neither. He's Varys from ASoIaF and he cares about protecting his Intel.

They invented the concept of the 1%, I think they did okay

Which led to the concept of the 53% from the conservative side, which led to Romney's 47% comment.

So I guess I can give credit to Occupy for stopping Mitt Romney.

The reason I'm worried about the healthcare vote rn is because there isn't nearly as much of a "everyone is running around with their hair on fire calling their house reps", atmosphere like there was last time.

Or that Paul Ryan told them that because this isn't filibuster proof, to just pass it so they can at least look competent enough to say they "tried", and blame dems in the senate for stopping it.

PBY

Banned
Thinking it will probably pass, makes it that much more delicious that the Senate will have to deal with this shit.

For all the handwringing that people won't notice because the effects won't happen until 2020, that makes little sense when Obamacare killed dozens of careers before even a single provision was implemented. If the public is against a bill and you vote for it, expect to be blasted on it.
Lol at "delicious"

Come on dude.

This could be a major L.

PBY

Banned
The reason I'm worried about the healthcare vote rn is because there isn't nearly as much of a "everyone is running around with their hair on fire calling their house reps", atmosphere like there was last time.

Or that Paul Ryan told them that because this isn't filibuster proof, to just pass it so they can at least look competent enough to say they "tried", and blame dems in the senate for stopping it.
I blame the Dems. They need to step the fuck up and be waaaaaaaay more visible on this.

kirblar

I blame the Dems. They need to step the fuck up and be waaaaaaaay more visible on this.
Vote hinges entirely on GOP infighting keeping them at a standstill.

You blame the Dems, who are completely irrelevant to this matter.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
And the tea party invented tax and spend liberals.

No they didn't.

Occupy certainly made the 1% enter the public lexicon, or at least make it way, way more popular of a term than before.

Stop trying to rewrite history.

Visible on what? On a bill the public already hates? This process also was done in the span of a week. If this even gets serious consideration in the Senate, you will see the mobilization of every group that fought it before.

I'm sure before the budget negotiation you thought dems were doing nothing as well.

Last time they were 20 odd votes short. Now they're fiveish votes short, so there likely isn't as much chaos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom