• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Brennan just confirmed there were enough contacts between campaign and Russians that they were worried and gave info to FBI.

This testimony is actually providing more news than I thought it would.

This intel hearing with Brennan is actually pretty lit. Gowdy keeps trying to pull him away and trap him into saying non-incriminating things about Russian interference, but Brennan is having none of it and it just laying out broad (and troubling!) statements.

Ooh, Brennan "saw interaction." Ohhohohoho indeed. "Sufficient evidence" to warrant probe. Says he "doesn't know" if collusion happened as it's been forwarded on to law enforcement, though. (I don't have a stream link, sorry. Try CSPAN?)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gowdy is the worst. Brennan isn't falling into his trap.

Blader

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), a former Judiciary Committee chairman, said it would be a ”waste of time" to haul Flynn before the Intelligence Committee simply to see him repeatedly stonewall inquisitors.

”They may have to do that just to let him know there's some consequences to this. But I don't fully understand why he would invoke constitutional privileges, because he's a good guy," Hatch said. ”I think he's worried about getting mistreated by the law."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/22/burr-flynn-contempt-senate-238694

I think Orrin Hatch may be crossing over into actual senility. Every Trump story where he's quoted involves some variation of "I don't understand why this would be the case."

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

I think Orrin Hatch may be crossing over into actual senility. Every Trump story where he's quoted involves some variation of "I don't understand why this would be the case."

Hatch playing that 4D chess because he doesn't want to be President.

Brennan: "I was aware of intel that revealed contacts & interactions between Russian officials and US persons involved in Trump campaign."

https://twitter.com/Isikoff/status/867026193589121026

Slacker

What do you think the odds are this conversation will happen in about a week?

Reporter: So what happened with those three leakers?
Spicer (or whoever): What leakers?
Reporter: The three leakers you were going to fire after the trip?
Spicer: What trip?

RDreamer

The biggest sin in Trump's letter is the intermingling of upper and lower case. Who the fuck writes "HeRe" instead of "here"? This man is a national embarrassment.

I actually do that crap all the time. I can't handwrite for shit. After decades of typing my handwriting is probably worse than a 1st grader.

There's a distinctive change in GOP tone here versus the hearings of the past few weeks. They're all subdued and not showing much defiance. They're asking reasonable questions and look depressed when they hear the answers. Not really trying to change the subject, and even when they do try to shift to Clinton the answers are pretty alarming.

How red is Montana compared to states like Kansas and Georgia?
Montana is pretty red at a presidential level, it might be possible to win it in a big wave (Clinton won it in 92, Obama came pretty close in 08) but by the time any Democrat has won it they're already president by a million EC votes.

On a state level it's sort of weird. The current governor is a Democrat who was just reelected for the fourth straight term where the position has been held by a Democrat and he just beat the current GOP candidate for the special election. Their senate seats are also split between a Democrat and Republican, and until 2014 they were both held by Democrats. MT is a few thousand people short of having a second congressional district so the election is at-large like statewide offices, so the people there clearly don't recoil at the idea of electing a Democrat even though it broadly has an R-tilt.

Kansas is incredibly red at the state level (though it had a pretty liberal Democratic governor before the current governor, and Hillary won KS-3, the seat in Kansas City, during the presidential election and the state slightly shifted towards Democrats by one point from 2012 to 2016. If you're asking about the special election, it was in the second most conservative district in the state.

Georgia is bluer on the presidential level than Montana but less likely to elect Democrats to major statewide offices. For the specific district having the special election, it's a historically very Republican district that has turned much less white and went for Trump by only about 1.5 points, and Jon Ossoff, the Democrat running for the seat, is probably the slight favorite to win it in a tossup.

Zolo

There's a distinctive change in GOP tone here versus the hearings of the past few weeks. They're all subdued and not showing much defiance. They're asking reasonable questions and look depressed when they hear the answers. Not really trying to change the subject, and even when they do try to shift to Clinton the answers are pretty alarming.

I just have the audio on, but as far as I've heard, questions have generally been reasonable unlike constant 'leaks' question.

sangreal

I'm all for nuking the filibuster, but man is it infuriating to listen to GOP senators whining about needing 60 votes to do anything after they obstructed everything for 8 straight years

Owzers

It's embarrassing how stupid the GOP behave in this hearing. What about this obama flexibility thing? It has all the words.

I'm all for nuking the filibuster, but man is it infuriating to listen to GOP senators whining about needing 60 votes to do anything after they obstructed everything for 8 straight years

The Filibuster didn't really matter much in the long run. Once the House went to the GOP in 2010, nothing meaningful was going to be passed, filibuster or not.

Is it just me or the terrorist attack in Manchester seems to be getting less coverage than usual? Is it because of Trump Russia multi-lane car crash or the media in general tired of terrorism?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Is it just me or the terrorist attack in Manchester seems to be getting less coverage than usual? Is it because of Trump Russia multi-lane car crash or the media in general tired of terrorism?

It got coverage last night now they are probably waiting for more solid information.

Guys...90% of public statements politicians make are calculated bullshit. It is a game. He understands the issue, the stakes, etc...he's not going to give us his actual opinion. He might even know Trump is fucked but he's still a republican and will continue to insinuate nothing is going on until the other shoe drops.

I'd think this since it's going to be more relevant to the average US citizen than the Manchester attack was, as horrible as that sounds.

Bush was at times malicious, whereas Trump is motivated out of a deep seated malevolence.

Then, as now, the Republican party is motivated by simple belligerence.
The end result is what matters.

This whitewashing of Bush's Presidency in light of Trump is pretty aggravating considering Trump for all his sins hasn't caused a fraction of the damage to this country or the world that GWB did. Maybe Trump will eclipse Bush one day, but he has a long way to go and all this "but Bush was a nice guy and maybe he wasn't so bad" stuff is way overboard.

Zolo

Oh. This guy's trying to be deceitful trying to go for a 'Wouldn't Russia want Trump in weak condition!?'

Talking about how Russia would want 'fake' news stories, etc.

sangreal

The Filibuster didn't really matter much in the long run. Once the House went to the GOP in 2010, nothing meaningful was going to be passed, filibuster or not.

I disagree, but even if you just limit it to those 2 years the ramifications of the filibuster are massive. The public option, efca, dream act, etc. etc. Still, after that you had their outright refusal to seat Obama's nominees until the nuclear option was invoked in 2013. A number of bipartisan bills coming out of the house were also filibustered.

dakini

Has this been posted yet?

Maine Supreme Judicial Court rules ranked-choice voting unconstitutional

Maine’s high court said Tuesday that the state’s first-in-the-nation ranked-choice voting system is unconstitutional, throwing the voter-approved law into jeopardy ahead of the 2018 campaign when it was supposed to be implemented.

In a unanimous, 44-page opinion issued Tuesday, the Maine Supreme Judicial Court’s seven justices agreed with Attorney General Janet Mills, Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap and Republican legislators that the system violates a provision of the Maine Constitution that allows elections to be won by pluralities — and not necessarily majorities — of votes.

https://bangordailynews.com/2017/05...-rules-ranked-choice-voting-unconstitutional/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom