• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

Okay, but total cost is $400B, $200B in additional taxes. With the population of California at around 40M, you are talking $40,000 for a family of 4. Unless I'm missing something, doesn't seem like a such a great deal.

Your calculation is wrong, so you are missing something.

This is what I look like when I'm dragged to church. lol

8jmdxcefd2zy.gif

"One Mississippi. Two Mississippi. Three Mississippi..."

https://twitter.com/Nazaire73/status/866854846313484288

broz0rs

I've got a better idea: Don't do either.

Seriously, though, as GOP Sen. Roberts said earlier, Senate isn't going to approve cuts to these. It won't happen. I'm hoping we can make a big enough stink to convince them to save PSLF, too.

It boggles the mind how the GOP can be fairly reasonable when it comes to the budget, but when it comes to health care they could give two shits about 24 mil American losing their plan.

It boggles the mind how the GOP can be fairly reasonable when it comes to the budget, but when it comes to health care they could give two shits about 24 mil American losing their plan.
tbh this is kind of why I expect AHCA not to pass, at least in its current form.

McConnell doesn't want to pass anything that would blow up the economy. Ryan is an ideologue and an idiot, but there's a reason his stupid fantasy budgets have never been given serious consideration and he's usually persuaded to pass whatever does the least harm.

tbh this is kind of why I expect AHCA not to pass, at least in its current form.

McConnell doesn't want to pass anything that would blow up the economy. Ryan is an ideologue and an idiot, but there's a reason his stupid fantasy budgets have never been given serious consideration and he's usually persuaded to pass whatever does the least harm.
And if they want to pass AHCA via reconciliation, the window closes at the end of May and doesn't reopen until October, right?

Zolo

So what's the current plan with Flynn? At this point, he basically seems screwed until he gets a pardon from Trump.

So what's the current plan with Flynn? At this point, he basically seems screwed until he gets a pardon from Trump.

I'm not quite sure, to be honest. Last month I would've said that they plan to use Flynn as the fall guy for everything, but that was before Trump started showing this weird devotion to the guy. I guess the appearance of supporting a traitor is less damaging than whatever Flynn could reveal.

sazzy

I'm not quite sure, to be honest. Last month I would've said that they plan to use Flynn as the fall guy for everything, but that was before Trump started showing this weird devotion to the guy. I guess the appearance of supporting a traitor is less damaging than whatever Flynn could reveal.

I refuse to believe that Donald Trump is capable of showing loyalty.

He probably regrets firing Flynn because he 'lost' that battle, and likely thinks his string of 'losses' with regard to Russia started when he gave in to demands that Flynn resign.

Zolo

I seriously have to wonder where the Republican party sees themselves in 5-10 years if they really plan on being the party that protects the most corrupt and incompetent president in history.

I seriously have to wonder where the Republican party sees themselves in 5-10 years if they really plan on being the party that protects the most corrupt and incompetent president in history.

They did just that in the early 2000s and ended up recovering fine with 5 years!

Pixieking

Banned
They did just that in the early 2000s and ended up recovering fine with 5 years!

You say that...

I would say W was (is?) dumb, and he got played very well by people who were very smart. W didn't make a big thing of his ignorance, he just kind of... sat there and did nothing? An untutored mess.

Trump, by contrast, is many things - he's below average intelligence (I think we can all agree on this?); he's egotistical; he's hypocritical; he's sexist and racist (neither of which W particularly struck me as); he's consistently out for himself in a way that W wasn't (or if he was, he was more subtle about it). And he wallows in his ignorance, like a pig in shit. He can't help but push his ignorance to the front in everything he does - even something as simple as the thumbs-up gesture on this foreign tour. And that's without his obvious corruption/pay-to-play/etc.

On the plus side, Trump's administration are as ignorant and stupid as Trump is. I'd worry if there were a Rumsfeld or Cheney near the top, but whilst Bannon's idealogy is worse than either of them, he's as thick as a short plank. Sessions and Price are the most intelligent people in the actual administration, and... well, they ain't all that smart. They're just smart enough.

While I never loved George W. Bush, he still always struck me as a man that just wanted to do the right thing and actually did want to help people. Yea, his policy was all over the place and he was a bit of an idiot, but he still seemed like he cared on a human level. He had a family that he got along with and was kind of a lovable idiot at times. I remember watching the inauguration and cracking up when he was in the background fighting with his poncho. He did a lot of terrible things (Tax Reform, NCLB, War, Patriot Act, Katrina), but he also had some legitimate accomplishments and moments where he really shined (Medicare Part D, Fighting AIDS, Capturing Saddam Hussein, Handling of 9/11, in a lot of ways TARP was a success). He gave a few inspiring speeches and often times seemed Presidential.

Donald Trump has never made me think that. He's an idiot he is insecure with himself on every level, and has spent his whole life trying to lift himself to higher status while shitting on people with differing opinions. On top of all that, he refuses to listen to reason just about every step of the way and insists he is correct in the face of overwhelming evidence he is very wrong. GWB was an idiot, but I never worried about the fate of the country when he was President. Donald Trump I cannot say the same for. Between his Twitter rants, his constant belittling of the Free Press, his constant attack on civil liberties, and his clear disdain for those in this country that are suffering the most, he has to be on pace for the Cruelest President in American History.

barber

I want to remind people that yeah Bush wasn't that bad of a person and got played hard in some things, but he was the one that wanted to go to war with Irak.

I am actually afraid that even if Trump is impeached with low 20s approval ratings that some of them will see him as the last ray of white power (as USA is poised to become more minority majority soonish) and increase the hardrights in america. Nothing can be a failure, it can all be attributed to the republican stablishment not wanting to support him and the liberal conspiracies. I fear the only way foe the lie to break would be with something caused by him directly (the AHCA can be attributed to the "establishment") or him calling idiots to his voters.

The American public wanted to go to war with Iraq, it was a war that, when declared, had something like a 70% approval rating with the American Public.

Pixieking

Banned
I fear the only way foe the lie to break would be with something caused by him directly

His budget proposal may be the straw that breaks the camel's back, here...

Trump's budget proposal slashes spending by $3.6 trillion over 10 years

The White House's $4.094 trillion budget request for fiscal 2018 calls for cuts that hit Medicaid, food assistance and other anti-poverty programs. It would cut funding for the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), which provides benefits to the poor, by roughly 20 percent next year.

Trump to poor Americans: Get to work or lose your benefits

Suspending employment waivers would hit hard in areas with high unemployment such as southern and central California, where the unemployment rate can spike as high as 19 percent, as well as cities such as Detroit and Scranton, Pa., where joblessness remains rampant. The change would also hit hard in large portions of New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, Idaho and Michigan.

Crocodile

Bad News about Trump Budget: Like holy shit its just evil incarnate!

Good News about Trump's Budget: No way it passes Congress in its current form (honestly I imagine the budget that gets voted on later this year looks like the current budget that just got passed) and it makes for terrible headlines - especially for Trump voters.If even a few lose faith in Trump from reading the headlines it will make a dent in his armor. Might help Quist too?

As an aside, this article - Donald Trump and the rise of tribal epistemology- is probably worth a read

The American public wanted to go to war with Iraq, it was a war that, when declared, had something like a 70% approval rating with the American Public.

After it was sold to the people on lies of the administration, with a healthy dose of association with 9/11.

He wanted war with Iraq well before the public did.

Here is a fact that will surprise few, Jared Kushner is a fucking slum lord. NYT: Jared Kushner’s Other Real Estate Empire

NYT said:
Warren was raising three children alone while taking classes for a bachelor’s degree in health care administration, and she disregarded the summons at first. But JK2 Westminster’s lawyers persisted; two more summonses followed. In April 2014, she appeared without a lawyer at a district-court hearing. She told the judge about the approval for her move, but she did not have a copy of the form the manager had signed. The judge ruled against Warren, awarding JK2 Westminster the full sum it was seeking, plus court costs, attorney’s fees and interest that brought the judgment to nearly $5,000. There was no way Warren, who was working as a home health aide, was going to be able to pay such a sum. “I was so desperate,” she said.

If the case was confounding to Warren, it was not unique. Hundreds like it have been filed over the last five years by JK2 Westminster and affiliated businesses in the state of Maryland alone, where the company owns some 8,000 apartments and townhouses. Nor was JK2 Westminster quite as anonymous as its opaque name suggested. It was a subsidiary of a large New York real estate firm called Kushner Companies, which was led by a young man whose initials happened to be J.K.: Jared Kushner.

The whole article is worth the read.

Wilsongt

There have always been those people, but apparently it's much worse now than it ever was.

When you live in this chamber that Christians are being murdered on a nigh hourly basis and that these people want us dead, it's not surprising they are becoming Crusade levels of zealots.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Haley Byrd @byrdinator

Overheard two members on the way to GOP conference meeting complaining Trump's budget doesn't specify restrictions on buying soda w/ SNAP

The modern day GOP, ladies and gentlemen.

It's times like these that the Trump presidency really fucking hurts in that the Manchester attack begs for a strong leader to show compassion, to reach out to people suffering.

Not Trump the Sociopath though, he's probably fucking giddy right now thinking about how to leverage peoples' deaths into political capital.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Igor Bobic‏Verified account @igorbobic

Coats re: reports Trump asked him to shoot down Russia probe: "not appropriate for me to comment on any of that"

From his testimony going on right now.

Stale bread and gruel with lead-laced water only for poors.
I wish there were a way to make food stamps more effectively encourage healthy eating. Not that that they should be punitive by any means, but you read stories about how in places like eastern Kentucky, snap benefits get immediately converted into soda to participate in a barter system, it just doesn't seem like an efficient use of resources.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Using-taxpayers-money-for-profit-246412561.html

Given food deserts I get that it's a bigger problem than SNAP can address on its own, though.

Pixieking

Banned
The Washington Post may be going a bit stupid soon...

I got invited to a survey, about a new thing they may be rolling out, called Opposing Views. Basically, it's "Both Sides", the official Opinion section. I ought to have copied the spiel, but basically it was "If you're reading a piece about how Trump firing Comey was over-reach, then it'll recommend a piece about how Trump was entirely justified firing Comey."

Considering the recent NYTimes Bret Stephens piece on Climate Change, I don't think this can go well.

Plinko

So I'm not watching this one (didn't even realize there was a hearing today) but are Republicans STILL only asking about leakers and Hillary's emails?

McCain asked about leaks, so yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom