• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's more of a local paper and it gets crowded out in the city's media market to be honest. They like covering local businessmen and titans, that sort of thing. I also recall it has some ownership ties to Jared Kushner but don't hold me to that. It isn't "fake news" but it's not the same as the Times, to be sure.

Kushner owns it, actually; it's currently run by his brother-in-law.

Teggy

It's more of a local paper and it gets crowded out in the city's media market to be honest. They like covering local businessmen and titans, that sort of thing. I also recall it has some ownership ties to Jared Kushner but don't hold me to that. It isn't "fake news" but it's not the same as the Times, to be sure.

Kushner ran it until after the election. Wouldn't surprise me if the people running it now want to put as much daylight between them and Kushner as possible right now.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
That's still treason! Intentionally subverting the US Military by colluding with another government is treason.

I think calling that treason is a bit extreme, but anyways, I didn't say it was good cover. But the general response to the piece I'm seeing on twitter is that it's Jared-friendly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The nyt magazine article about queen is devastating. People don't realize the pervasive sexism in basically every facet of our world. It's...weird to be unable to recognize it myself.

Edit: omg other me

I thought the fact she went to psychologists, sociologists, and the like to find out what she should expect and how things have changed in the last eight years before running again is pretty telling as to where we are in regards to sexism. I'd really like to know the details of what she was told, but then again I could probably guess without much effort.

EDIT: I kinda wish the interviews had taken place after the Comey/Russian memo stuff came out though, the reaction to that would probably be golden.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The nyt magazine article about queen is devastating. People don't realize the pervasive sexism in basically every facet of our world. It's...weird to be unable to recognize it myself.

I mean, I'd personally prefer Elizabeth Warren for matching the type of anger that Sanders and Trump has, and don't see her as "shrill" at all, but I guess maybe the electorate would disagree. Hard to tell.

Harris and Gillibrand seemed to solved the populist while female equation too, at least from my viewpoint.

It's possible they screwed themselves by worrying too much about sexism, and it's also possible that Clinton just built up too much baggage while sexism was a bigger thing than it is today, and people can't parse that.

broz0rs

So this was a meeting with Kushner, Flynn and maybe some other folks. I want to know who gave this info up to the government then. (And who leaked it...)

The reporters stated that they got the lead in the middle of December from an anonymous letter and they've been digging on this ever since.

NeoXChaos

man I have not heard that in proper usage since pre-election. Recently it's been used to mock poligaf with Yaas Queen insults. Oh such happier moments. I kinda miss that time period.

I think calling that treason is a bit extreme, but anyways, I didn't say it was good cover. But the general response to the piece I'm seeing on twitter is that it's Jared-friendly.

Kushner was a private citizen who was trying to create a hidden line of communication with a enemy nation. The purpose of that communication was to affect US Military operations. How is that not Treason?

Ernest

Banned
Nothing's gonna come of this... sorry, you can't see or hear me, but I couldn't even finish typing that before literally laughing out loud.

Now THAT probably was Barron.

Article on the differences between the Wapo and NYT stories:
https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2017/5/26/15703668/kushner-secret-russia-communication

I don't hold this against the NYT, because they are just relying on their usual sources, which are clearly different from WaPo's sources.

NYT's Sources: White House Leakers mostly

WaPo Sources: IC and FBI leakers mostly with some White House leakers as well.

What I'm interested to know is what BuzzFeed's sources have been. Their ability to get the Steele Dossier still amazes me.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I don't hold this against the NYT, because they are just relying on their usual sources, which are clearly different from WaPo's sources.

NYT's Sources: White House Leakers mostly

WaPo Sources: IC and FBI leakers mostly with some White House leakers as well.

What I'm interested to know is what BuzzFeed's sources have been. Their ability to get the Steele Dossier still amazes me.
Hard to agree with the NYT that White House sources should be considered at all credible at this point.

Shrill, unhinged Elizabeth Warren.

Also the comments have been relatively benign but NB It's still not okay to make fun of the kid. He didn't get to choose his terrible parents.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Everyone had the Dossier, Buzzfeed just decided to publish it.
This, everyone had it.

A dossier making explosive — but unverified — allegations that the Russian government has been “cultivating, supporting and assisting” President-elect Donald Trump for years and gained compromising information about him has been circulating among elected officials, intelligence agents, and journalists for weeks.

The documents have circulated for months and acquired a kind of legendary status among journalists, lawmakers, and intelligence officials who have seen them. Mother Jones writer David Corn referred to the documents in a late October column.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/kenbensing...ties-to-russia?utm_term=.uwZMYR8mZ#.xkKyN6Mex

The further that is uncovered about Trump's administration being connected with the Russians, make me wonder how much deeper this goes. I have to think a number of senators and representatives in the GOP is in cahoots with the Russians. I also have to imagine there are a fair number of them that were aware of the situation but took a blind eye.

mAcOdIn

That's still treason! Intentionally subverting the US Military by colluding with another government is treason.
I get the Trump hate but I think we do need to step back a little here.

First off, I don't think Russia is an outright official "enemy" of the United States yet so saying people are colluding with the enemy's a bit over the top. They're definitely antagonistic, I wouldn't say they're friends, they have the capacity to be our enemy in the future but I don't think it's right to call them the enemy today.

Second, I do think treason's may be a strong word, depending on what was actually discussed. When I think of treason I think of an act that is meant to harm your country and benefit another and I think intent is actually important here. Like did Snowden commit treason or did he do a patriotic thing and expose a program the people had a right to know about? I don't know what's in his heart, I don't know if he thought he was sticking it to the US to weaken our position globally or if instead he truly felt there was a injustice occurring and attempted to set it right. In regards to Syria I have no fucking idea what Kushner and Flynn's ideas were regarding that clusterfuck. Depending on who you talk to every single action we could take is both shit or the best of a bunch of bad options. Keeping Assad in power or whatever seemingly more Russian friendly Syrian strategy these guys may prefer may indeed help Russia a little more than us but is it treason? Is there any hand at all we could play that would turn out better for us than someone else? There's quite a few Americans that would also rather leave Syria to Assad and let him try to reign the chaos in with an iron fist and hopefully bring some stability again as opposed to funding a myriad of groups that are not exactly great either or forming some weird killing triangle us, the Kurds and Turkey.

And I might add that our government does coordinate militarily with foreign powers all the damn time, we were somewhat coordinating with Russia before the election too so as to not bomb each other and shit. And, yes, sometimes politics takes a front seat to what the military would rather the policy to be.

Further, that is what Trump wanted to do, work with Russia on Syria, he campaigned on it, it wasn't some secret betrayal or anything of the sort.

What I find more amusing about the whole thing is that why not just wait until they were in office? Officially call up Russia and sit down with them and discuss Syria, maybe people'd agree with our change of stance, maybe they wouldn't, but what would have been nefarious about it? Politics are dirty. Look at Bahrain right now, we gave them the go ahead and Saudi Arabia moves in, some people are upset but what legally is going on to get the US to put pressure on SA again? Are the FBI investigating?

'Course I still hate Trump. I'm not a lawyer but I've heard that discussing policies like these before you're in office can be a crime. If so I'd love for them to go down. If they were repaying a service already rendered by Russia I'd love for them to go down. If they colluded with a foreign power to influence the election I'd love for them to go down. I hope they hit them with any charge they can make stick. But even then, if Kushner and Trump think working with Russia is a better solution for the United States and won the election without colluding with Russia and just wanted a head start on their publicly stated agenda then they broke procedural laws, in my opinion, but weren't being outright treasonous and working with a declared enemy nation.

There's a lot of things that stinks here though, I'm all for seeing what comes out, I just disagree with some of the rhetoric.

I think trying to influence the democratic process and overthrow the Western liberal order, as well as sabre rattling and outright invading Eastern European nations, pretty much makes Russia an enemy, an adversary, hostile. It's kind of semantics.

If this was Civ VI America denounces Russia.

First Russia is definitely an adversary with Putin in control. They have attacked allies, funded and assist enemies of the US, stand against US interests and US allies interests. No real gray area to suggest otherwise.

Second, while at face value Kushner's actions seem more like espionage, I think Flynn is a more likely case of treason. Also we do coordinate with Russia in Syria to prevent air collisions and escalation in the conflict. US and Russia support different goals and back different forces. Russia is supporting Assad exclusively and their campaign against ISIS is largely window dressing that only happens when it supports Assad. US is backing the Kurds who really have been (along with the Iraqi forces) the most effective ground force against ISIS. There is also the trepidation with coordination with Russia that they will use the opportunity to spy and relay information to enemies of the US like the Taliban. Having a secret back channel in no way passes the sniff test as having any sort of good intentions. Plus the admins explanation of Russia briefing Flynn is pretty insane given Flynn was not in a position to deliver strategy and policy to the military that proper channels couldn't produce. There is also the issue of Russia providing bad info and means to hurt American interests, which is why we need all eyes and fact checking when it comes to communication with Russia. Another point is that Russia offers very little as a potential ally in the fight against global terror. Their tactics and brutality is more likely to fuel militant groups and radical ideologies.

Edit: As far Assad is concerned there will never be peace in Syria with Assad in power. He is more likely to ally with ISIS than to try to defeat it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I think trying to influence the democratic process and overthrow the Western liberal order, as well as sabre rattling and outright invading Eastern European nations, pretty much makes Russia an enemy, an adversary, hostile. It's kind of semantics.

It'a just a prank, bro.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 1h1 hour ago

Many NATO countries have agreed to step up payments considerably, as they should. Money is beginning to pour in- NATO will be much stronger.
Like pee pee Donald?

Nordicus

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

Many NATO countries have agreed to step up payments considerably, as they should. Money is beginning to pour in- NATO will be much stronger.
HE STILL DOESN'T GET IT?!

Oh my fucking god...

if this was me playing Civ, I move all troops to their border for an invasion and if asked, I just claim they're passing through the area.

Get your bingo card ready:

DA1ay9FXcAAvife.jpg

Mark Knoller‏Verified account
@markknoller

No trip ending news conference by Pres Trump. Two senior WH officials briefing reporters instead. Off-camera.

Unbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom