• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Strongly, strongly disagree

Let me (slightly) amend that statement. Nobody changed their vote because they thought he would start a nuclear war.

1964 was two years removed from the Cuban missile crisis. The idea of a nuclear apocalypse in this day an age is an abstraction of an abstraction at this point. I genuinely believe nobody cares.

Anyways, the real issue is that these ads were all aimed at winning over a very narrow subset of Republican voters that barely even exists any more anyways. (And, plus, wouldn't they have been the die-hard Goldwater fans anyways? The whole thing is nonsensical. Again: aiming for cheap points with the press/cable news)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People keep saying dementia, but think about it--for years all this man has done is watch hours and hours of television each day. No reading. No brain stimulation. Dementia is a possibility, but it wouldn't surprise me if his daily habits have just caught up to him.

Lo-Volt

As much as I want it, I don't have much hope for the do-over at the end of the year. That said, I'll be happy if dems just stay fired up for the next elections regardless of when.

Also i'm out of the loop on the UK situation, why have the conservatives faltered in the polls? Thought this election was supposed to be a sure thing for them.

Specifically, the Conservative platform had some policy change on care for the old, implying that more older patients would need to use more of their personal assets for chronic care, potentially destroying inheritance for future generations or bankrupting patients for things like dementia. Hence the "dementia tax."

There was a swift backlash on the campaign, so Theresa May backtracked pretty splendidly. By splendidly, I mean she shrieked "nothing's changed, nothing's changed!" when the press pushed her on the policy. She kind of sounded like the circuits were short in her CPU and she's awfully rigid on the stump.

Labour probably can't pull off a win or a minority government (they'd need to recover seats in a Scotland and it won't likely happen), and Jeremy Corbyn polls badly. But they're acquitting themselves a little better than people thought.

Zolo

People keep saying dementia, but think about it--for years all this man has done is watch hours and hours of television each day. No reading. No brain stimulation. Dementia is a possibility, but it wouldn't surprise me if his daily habits have just caught up to him.

I saw one interesting comment about the effects of being put in such a different environment from what one's used to along with the stress of the media, investigation, etc.

ivajz

It's that time again!
Russian ambassador told Moscow that Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.a5b2cb01b540

Jared Kushner and Russia's ambassador to Washington discussed the possibility of setting up a secret and secure communications channel between Trump's transition team and the Kremlin, using Russian diplomatic facilities in an apparent move to shield their pre-inauguration discussions from monitoring, according to U.S. officials briefed on intelligence reports.

Ambassador Sergei Kislyak reported to his superiors in Moscow that Kushner, then President-elect Trump's son-in-law and confidant, made the proposal during a meeting on Dec. 1 or 2 at Trump Tower, according to intercepts of Russian communications that were reviewed by U.S. officials. Kislyak said Kushner suggested using Russian diplomatic facilities in the United States for the communications.

The meeting also was attended by Michael Flynn, Trump's first national security adviser.

The White House disclosed the fact of the meeting only in March, playing down its significance. But people familiar with the matter say the FBI now considers the encounter, as well as another meeting Kushner had with a Russian banker, to be of investigative interest.

Zolo

Literally the only thing that went through my brain while watching the 'Confessions of a Republican' rehash was: Holy shit, Kent Wallace!?!

I very distinctly remember my thoughts as I watched that one. "I love politics. I love history. I love LBJ's ads. If I don't like this video, who does?"

Vimes

Pretty quiet oppo week.

It's that time again!
Russian ambassador told Moscow that Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...0a14b4-422d-11e7-9869-bac8b446820a_story.html

tumblr_nzklzm3XVn1tb7a4bo1_500.gif

Another bit of news.

Senate Intelligence Committee requests Trump campaign documents
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-committee-requests-trump-campaign-documents/

This feels like a Supreme Court case waiting to happen.

Multiple attempts at setting up a backchannel. Once it got too hot around Kushball they tried with Prince.

A couple red flags this raises:

1. Saying this signals Kushner knows the lines are being listened to. How did he find that out?

2. Eagerness to have this done makes me believe there was a significant return for the actions.

3. This plan didn't go through so there has to be a means of communication they settled on.

ivajz

Here's another!

Russian Once Tied to Trump Aide Seeks Immunity to Testify Before Congress

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/26/us/politics/oleg-deripaska-paul-manafort.html

Oleg V. Deripaska, a Russian oligarch once close to President Trump's former campaign manager, has offered to cooperate with congressional committees investigating Russian meddling in the 2016 election, but lawmakers are unwilling to accept his conditions, according to congressional officials.

Mr. Deripaska's offer comes amid increased attention to his ties to Paul Manafort, who is one of several Trump associates under F.B.I. scrutiny for possible collusion with Russia during the presidential campaign. The two men did business together in the mid-2000s, when Mr. Manafort, a Republican operative, was also providing campaign advice to Kremlin-backed politicians in Ukraine. Their relationship subsequently soured and devolved into a lawsuit.

Mr. Deripaska, an aluminum magnate who is a member of the inner circle of the Russian president, Vladimir V. Putin, recently offered to cooperate with congressional intelligence committees in exchange for a grant of full immunity, according to three congressional officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the issue publicly. But the Senate and House panels turned him down because of concerns that immunity agreements create complications for federal criminal investigators, the officials said.

I can't find the thread, but if I remember correctly, somebody here ended up finding out a ton of link/info on this guy a while back.

Is the fact that Trump asked for heads of IC to drop investigations going to be wrapped into the Mueller investigation? Seems like cut and dry obstruction, so I guess I don't get what the hold up is with that. Need them to testify behind closed doors?

False flag from your commie rag.

It's emerging that Jared is really just as dumb as the rest of his cabal. I guess it was overlooked because he's kinda pretty, like how Ivanka is really as horrible as her brothers when you dig.

Ole Miss, right? My girlfriend went to school there at the Croft Institute and was super disappointed she missed it. People she knew got to meet Hillary.

Yep. I'm a math instructor here and one of my (now retired) colleagues was Bill Staton, who's wife Carolyn was Hillary's friend.

Wow, population change in every town from 2015 to 2016.

https://cinyc.carto.com/viz/f83928f7-f42c-4ba7-a659-4c4502f5d84b/public_map

Rural America... jesus.

Also, the West is booming, as are big parts of the south.

As a college town, Oxford grew obviously but for some local flair for PoliGAF, that upswing south of Oxford in Taylor and Water Valley is because of Oxford hipsters. Water Valley features a local brewery that serves crawfish and Taylor is famous for its old grocery store turned restaurant that county law allows to drink in the parking lot as long as the booze is in an unmarked cup.

Edit: and my home county of Itawamba is bleeding residents, saw that coming

Edit 2: Jesus I waited 20 minutes! Post more you bums

And Reuters with one:

Exclusive: Trump son-in-law had undisclosed contacts with Russian envoy - sources

U.S. President Donald Trump's son-in-law and close adviser, Jared Kushner, had at least three previously undisclosed contacts with the Russian ambassador to the United States during and after the 2016 presidential campaign, seven current and former U.S. officials told Reuters.

Those contacts included two phone calls between April and November last year, two of the sources said. By early this year, Kushner had become a focus of the FBI investigation into whether there was any collusion between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin, said two other sources - one current and one former law enforcement official.

Joeytj

Banned
Wow, population change in every town from 2015 to 2016.

https://cinyc.carto.com/viz/f83928f7-f42c-4ba7-a659-4c4502f5d84b/public_map

Rural America... jesus.

Also, the West is booming, as are big parts of the south.

Damn, I can see why a large part of the Dem establishment is still very reticent to make a big shift towards Bernie-populism.

They still believe demographics will again get them the presidency next time, because the Rust Belt and rural America are really emptying out and the best bet is to continue winning the West (minorities, urban areas), the urban and suburban South and East Coast metros.

Of course, I believe there's room for both strategies, of keeping the Obama coalition intact while regaining large parts of the Midwest, but still, that's a tough map.

kirblar

Damn, I can see why a large part of the Dem establishment is still very reticent to make a big shift towards Bernie-populism.

They still believe demographics will again get them the presidency next time, because the Rust Belt and rural America are really emptying out and the best bet is to continue winning the West (minorities, urban areas), the urban and suburban South and East Coast metros.

Of course, I believe there's room for both strategies, of keeping the Obama coalition intact while regaining large parts of the Midwest, but still, that's a tough map.
I don't think anyone thinks we're just going to cakewalk to the presidency on demographics! If we do cakewalk it's going to be because our D+15 wave from '18 continued to '20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom