• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Right, but are there Arby's towns the way there are coal mining towns? If a coal mine closes, it affects a whole town, not just the workers.
No, but there aren't enough mines to prop up many towns anymore in the first place. They're asking us to turn back time. (Hence, the resource curse issue, they literally don't know how to actually function in a normal economy.)

Right, but the jobs are clustered, generating mining towns. If a coal mine closes, it affects a whole town, not just the coal mine workers.

Entire towns depend on the Skiing industry, but we never hear about protecting that.

The fact of the matter is, mining gets outsized attention because it is an overwhelmingly white, male industry.

ascii42

a town can't stay mono-industrial;

that is ghost town in waiting

No, but there aren't enough mines to prop up many towns anymore in the first place. They're asking us to turn back time. (Hence, the resource curse issue, they literally don't know how to actually function in a normal economy.)

I agree. Just saying it's understandable that those people would be, well, anxious.

The future liberals want

But the center space is a free handout. Universal basic square.

@Chris__Richards
An amazing detail in this @OConnellPostbiz x @Fahrenthold piece about Trump's Virginia golf course
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...f-702am:homepage/story&utm_term=.6daa6207105b …
DA1sPA7XUAAcDWr.jpg

Of course.

@costareports
scoop: Trump family members met with GOP leaders on Thursday for 2 hours to discuss strategy

But, they aren't involved in government because they run the business! I'm shocked.

Pixieking

Banned
Seems like a good way to instill a life lesson to me. Nothing wrong with encouraging a little humility. Solid parenting.

Mmmm... I suppose. I am assuming the daughter feels crappy enough as it is, without the mom making her feel worse. I do like Hillary's response, too - not kicking the daughter when she's down.

cool, Sarah Jones is getting death threats for a couple of moderately critical tweets about the Hillary interview :(

Seems like a good way to instill a life lesson to me. Nothing wrong with encouraging a little humility. Solid parenting.
what no, voting doesn't matter at all and certainly isn't worth humiliating your daughter for

Mmmm... I suppose. I am assuming the daughter feels crappy enough as it is, without the mom making her feel worse. I do like Hillary's response, too - not kicking the daughter when she's down.

I'm going to also have to admit I'm assuming that the daughter is like the only millennial woman I know who didn't vote for Clinton in the general because she's just one step away from Jill Stein supporting idiocy so that colors my mental picture of the event.

kirblar

cool, Sarah Jones is getting death threats for a couple of moderately critical tweets about the Hillary interview :(

what no, voting doesn't matter at all and certainly isn't worth humiliating your daughter for
Voting absolutely mattes, and drilling that lesson into your kids to make sure they vote instead of sitting things out and passively letting the GOP take control is a good thing! (This may be overboard though.)

There was an article on the toxic "participation doesn't matter" attitude among lefty academics this past election cycle that ripped into that shit, but I don't have it on hand.

Pixieking

Banned

Mankind was a mistake. Can't we nuke ourselves from orbit and let phytoplankton takeover the Earth?

I mean, the humiliation is bad, but at the same time, yeah, voting matters a fuckton. And it could be argued that women voting matters way more than men voting, not only due to suffrage, but because so many political decisions involve women in one way or another more than men (paid maternity leave, abortion, equal pay, healthcare during pregnancy).

Plus, not voting when it's against Trump? Urgh. :/

Dave Levinthal‏Verified account
@davelevinthal
Montana Congressman-elect Greg Gianforte, despite his assault arrest this week, is fundraising this morn for @NRCC and @karenhandel in #GA06

If they're smart, the Ossoff campaign will use this to attack Handel. Somehow I can't imagine the body slamming going over well in an educated suburban district. She already has Trump as an anchor; tie Gianforte to her, too.

tbm24

Voting absolutely mattes, and drilling that lesson into your kids to make sure they vote instead of sitting things out and passively letting the GOP take control is a good thing! (This may be overboard though.)

There was an article on the toxic "participation doesn't matter" attitude among lefty academics this past election cycle that ripped into that shit, but I don't have it on hand.

I don't see anything particularly overboard about what the mother did. To me not voting is the same as not giving a shit about any of this. It's time younger generations start to. My daughter is going to know the value of voting.

kirblar

I don't see anything particularly overboard about what the mother did. To me not voting is the same as not giving a shit about any of this. It's time younger generations start to. My daughter is going to know the value of voting.
This is going to be an eternal cyclical problem for us. Happened in '00, happened in '16, will happen in '28 or '32 as well.

This is going to be an eternal cyclical problem for us. Happened in '00, happened in '16, will happen in '28 or '32 as well.
2028:

"Malia Obama or Ivanka Trump? I'm tired of voting for the lesser of the two evils*. I'm writing in Bernietron 3000"

*has never actually voted

Yup. I would also add that embarrassing the hell out of your kids is a core part of good parenting.

Like did Snowden commit treason or did he do a patriotic thing and expose a program the people had a right to know about?
It strikes me that the people who would make an argument that what Kushner et al are doing isn't technically treason are the same people shouting that Snowden was a traitor and should be executed.

HE STILL DOESN'T GET IT?!

Oh my fucking god...
Just to make sure I get it, there's no "NATO fund," right? It's simply countries increasing the amount of funding they give their own military? They don't pay the US anything.
Entire towns depend on the Skiing industry, but we never hear about protecting that.

The fact of the matter is, mining gets outsized attention because it is an overwhelmingly white, male industry.
Uh, Skiing is a pretty overwhelmingly white industry.
Dragging your daughter by the wrist to Hillary Clinton to make her admit to and implicitly apologize for not voting for her is psychotic behavior.
Just to be clear, you're not casting any shade towards Clinton about this, right?

Armaros

It strikes me that the people who would make an argument that what Kushner et al are doing isn't technically treason are the same people shouting that Snowden was a traitor and should be executed.

Just to make sure I get it, there's no "NATO fund," right? It's simply countries increasing the amount of funding they give their own military? They don't pay the US anything.

Uh, Skiing is a pretty overwhelmingly white industry.

Just to be clear, you're not casting any shade towards Clinton about this, right?

Yes the whole point is to get more countries to spent more of their own money on their own defense budgets.

Our 'contribution to NATO' is completely for our own purposes.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Negative reaction to a Clinton article that makes a big point about how everything she does is interpreted in an unexpectedly negative way seems perfect.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Negative reaction to a Clinton article that makes a big point about how everything she does is interpreted in an unexpectedly negative way seems perfect.

Thirty years from now there's going to be a book written about this election and sexism, and that dynamic is going to be it's own damn chapter.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Thirty years from now there's going to be a book written about this election and sexism, and that dynamic is going to be it's own damn chapter.

I think it may have been a mistake to not push the sexism angle more, in part, to explain Clinton's loss. In a way it's like admitting there is a not a problem. Sexism, even more than racism, has become more subtle and more subconscious (Yes, the age of Trump has made people more forthright, but the problem remains).

Sexism is why something that was mundane like the email "scandal" had so much pull and time devoted towards it in the news. It's why Clinton was afraid to be herself. It's why, no mater how squeaky clean she could have been, something, no mater how innocuous, would have rose to the forefront of the media narrative. (I wonder how much of CDS was sexism...)

royalan

Sarah Jones is the worst kind of Clinton critic. The "that bitch eating those crackers" kind.

I mean,

1A7FSkG.png

When you have reached this point, you really ought to have the self-awareness to step back, realize that you're being irrational and literally nothing this person does will be acceptable to you, and move on.

Armaros

Sarah Jones is the worst kind of Clinton critic. The "that bitch eating those crackers" kind.

I mean,

1A7FSkG.png

When you have reached this point, you really ought to have the self-awareness to step back, realize that you're being irrational and literally nothing this person does will be acceptable to you, and move on.

Also as an aside, its basically the worst kept secret that Hillary is a pretty hardcore drinker, and drank interns under the table in DC.

All of this reminds me of the Hot Sauce thing as well, and that was also a well known fact.

Hillary Clinton is apparently not allowed to do or say anything publicly

Like seriously, she does the commencement speech at her alma mater and people like Sarah Jones are just like "GOSH WHY CANT SHE JUST GO AWAY????"

Also as an aside, its basically the worst kept secret that Hillary is a pretty hardcore drinker, and drank interns under the table in DC.

All of this reminds me of the Hot Sauce thing as well, and that was also a well known fact.
It's interesting how well known it is, yet nobody has tried to pen her as an alcoholic

I mean,

1A7FSkG.png

It's a phenomenon that almost certainly stems from sexism but has warped into its own thing in her case. Some people are so totally convinced that Clinton is inauthentic that they'll call out literally any behavior she demonstrates as an example.

It actually kind of makes me wonder what they think she really does do with her time. Just power down like a robot?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I would pay good money to pick Clinton's brain over a bottle of brown liquor

In the recent article she revealed how she went around to various academics and asked what she should expect this go around in regard to sexism (basically how it had changed in the last five years). I'd love to know the details of those conversations.

It's interesting how well known it is, yet nobody has tried to pen her as an alcoholic

DC in general is pretty hard drinking. There's probably an unspoken agreement not to use it against anyone as a result. If you know anyone who worked in politics down there they'd be able to tell you stories or rumors about how hard certain reps and senators drink.

Ogodei

Yea, this seems like a really dumb move for Handel

It's just base rallying, i think. We tried to bring Gianforte down and he won, GOP are winners, vote GOP, that sort of thing.

It's definitely dragging things into a very different context (where Handel needs every single GOP vote if she wants to win, and hope not too many new registrants enter the pool).

Slayven

In the recent article she revealed how she went around to various academics and asked what she should expect this go around in regard to sexism (basically how it had changed in the last five years). I'd love to know the details of those conversations.

DC in general is pretty hard drinking. There's probably an unspoken agreement not to use it against anyone as a result.

I am not shocked at that, Clinton seems like the type to actually play 5d chess

Armaros

It would be rude to shut down drinking in DC because that is one of the few Vices left to Congress to deal with the stress of DC and campaigning.

And that also means ruining their own ability to partake in the drink :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I am not shocked at that, Clinton seems like the type to actually play 5d chess

It's definitely one series of conversations I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for.

It would be rude to shut down drinking in DC because that is one of the few Vices left to Congress to deal with the stress of DC and campaigning.

And that also means ruining their own ability to partake in the drink :p

Yup. No one's insane enough to ruin it for themselves and everyone else. Plus whoever comes out with that is going to have that same shit in their closet.

Hence why no one ever brings it up. They'd piss literally everyone on both sides off. Even Cruz isn't that crazy.

I mean,

1A7FSkG.png

wait so because you don't like her she should get rape and death threats? cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom