• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Trump doesn't really crap himself then it is a win. He did some stupid things during the trip, but that is to expected. If it wasn't a complete PR disaster than that is good enough for the GOP.

Ac30

Bob Corker, Senate Foreign Relations Committee chair:

DA63UnCWsAAKW-9.jpg:large

This is why I'm convinced he'll serve his full 4 years. He could expose himself to Merkel during a speech and the Republican ballwashers in the senate would applaud it or show "mild concern".

Oklahoma's economy has been devastated by republicans, and the only terrorist attack we've had was from a white christian, they're incapable of taking responsibility for themselves or blaming the republicans for anything.

They'll continue to blame all of their problems on the democrats, brown people, LGBT, and non christians.
tbf didn't Oklahoma elect a Dem governor in 06?

Not that that's like a magic bullet or anything, it doesn't excuse being asshats for the last 10+ years in every other way. I believe OK is also the only state where McCain won every county.

Owzers

This is why I'm convinced he'll serve his full 4 years. He could expose himself to Merkel during a speech and the Republican ballwashers in the senate would applaud it or show "mild concern".
People wanted an unconventional president etc etc.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Maxing out individual contributions from two people isn't even enough to cover my alcoholism, let alone influence a SENATOR of the United States
To be fair, they hosted fundraisers for him, so they facilitated much greater amounts of contributions than their individual ones.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he's trying to present himself as a moderate democrat, dispelling the notion that all democrats want to go after Trumps administration for partisan reasons.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he's trying to present himself as a moderate democrat, dispelling the notion that all democrats want to go after Trumps administration for partisan reasons.

If he wants to waffle his way down the Trump apologist path he can try, but I don't think he's going to have much luck with that.

Murphy, Paul, and Franken are trying to block the Saudi arms sales, which is very cool but is probably doomed like it was last year. They did get Heller, Lee, and Kirk on right now, so there's theoretically enough willing Republican votes to block it but about half the Democrats voted for it and I can't imagine it'll happen.

I don't think Murphy would be a strong candidate for electability purposes but he might actually edge out Brown in terms of who I'd like the most.

Trying to parse a common denominator between who voted to block is kind of impossible. Most of the left side of the caucus voted against it, but Brown, Merkley, and Whitehouse voted for it, but then some of the Dems that joined with them in voting against it include Tester and Klobuchar.

This is why I always hate the idea of running a nominee from New Jersey.

Yeah, and this would be a concern from an electability standpoint as well. Of course, Illinois is also notorious for how shady its politics get and Obama managed to stay squeaky clean. That having been said, I've heard a lot about Booker being more typical of NJ in terms of corruption and whatnot compared to Obama and IL. I guess my thoughts are that in an election that Booker can win, there's probably a more reliably left candidate who can also win.

kirblar

Honestly, I was already opposed to a Booker nomination.
Any reasonable person who had paid attention to him for the past year or two should have been already.
Yeah, and this would be a concern from an electability standpoint as well. Of course, Illinois is also notorious for how shady its politics get and Obama managed to stay squeaky clean. That having been said, I've heard a lot about Booker being more typical of NJ in terms of corruption and whatnot compared to Obama and IL. I guess my thoughts are that in an election that Booker can win, there's probably a more reliably left candidate who can also win.
Obama springboarded up and out quickly enough to not get touched.

I don't...think I've ever been enthusiastic about Booker
Seemed like before the election people were holding him up until the election to me. I seem to remember talk about how the 2024 primary would end up as Booker vs Kaine, unless I'm just imagining it. Hillary losing seems to have taken most of the wind out of his sails though.

Seemed like before the election people were holding him up until the election to me. I seem to remember talk about how the 2024 primary would end up as Booker vs Kaine, unless I'm just imagining it. Hillary losing seems to have taken most of the wind out of his sails though.

Yeah, Booker's speech at the DNC Convention last year sparked a brief moment where there was a lot of talk for a little while about the idea of him running for President after Hillary.

Definitely a bit worried about what sort of a wrench Booker might end up throwing in the 2020 Democratic Primary if he chooses to run.

adg1034

Booker is gonna get the minority support that other candidates will struggle to take from him. beyond that, i'm not sure.

A thought experiment I'm reluctantly having: Booker sweeps the black vote in the primaries, gets enough traction to be taken seriously as a potential nominee, then eventually loses to someone who's, well, white. Could Booker's loss in this scenario depress the nationwide black vote in November the same way Bernie's loss disillusioned some voters in 2016?

kirblar

A thought experiment I'm reluctantly having: Booker sweeps the black vote in the primaries, gets enough traction to be taken seriously as a potential nominee, then eventually loses to someone who's, well, white. Could Booker's loss in this scenario depress the nationwide black vote in November the same way Bernie's loss disillusioned some voters in 2016?
Why are people assuming the "black vote" is a monolith when

a) we will have at least 2 high-profile black candidates
b) Cory Booker is not Barack Obama

We are going to have a lot of candidates running and assuming that any of them will have a demographic lock is really silly. In '08 Hillary/Obama were splitting minority votes pretty hard. In '16 Hillary got them because Bernie never learned how to reach out to them!

adg1034

We are going to have a lot of candidates running and assuming that any of them will have a demographic lock is really silly.

I'm trying not to. And I fully expect Kamala Harris to be right up there with him. But given that in the 2016 election, "black Americans showed the sharpest decline in voter turnout– 7.1 percent since 2012," I don't think Democrats can afford for black turnout to drop any further.

Regardless, I know it's way too early for this sort of thing.

Booker is gonna get the minority support that other candidates will struggle to take from him. beyond that, i'm not sure.

Not necessarily. The people who are gonna get the minority support are the people who actually address their issues during the primaries. Hillary failed to do so in 2008 Primaries but was great at doing so in the 2016 primaries. If Booker just ASSUMES he has minority support, someone like Gillibrand could easily flank him by giving speeches that actually address people's concerns.

Plus, Booker will get hit hard for his Newark failures, which can EASILY be framed as him failing the minority community.

Harris, meanwhile can run on the Police Reform message Hillary ran on in the 2016, but the difference is that Hillary was the wrong person to run on that because of her past support of tough on crime laws, whereas Harris's History as San Fran's DA and Cali's AG actually help her as a messenger for such a platform.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Had Hillary chosen Booker as VP, would she have gotten enough minority votes to be president right now? I'd have to think he'd have drawn in a lot more than Tim Kaine.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Not necessarily. The people who are gonna get the minority support are the people who actually address their issues during the primaries. Hillary failed to do so in 2008 Primaries but was great at doing so in the 2016 primaries. If Booker just ASSUMES he has minority support, someone like Gillibrand could easily flank him by giving speeches that actually address people's concerns.

Plus, Booker will get hit hard for his Newark failures, which can EASILY be framed as him failing the minority community.

Harris, meanwhile can run on the Police Reform message Hillary ran on in the 2016, but the difference is that Hillary was the wrong person to run on that because of her past support of tough on crime laws, whereas Harris's History as San Fran's DA and Cali's AG actually help her as a messenger for such a platform.

The one thing Booker is great at is criminal justice. He's the only really pushing that issue and has clearly given it a lot of thought.

That probably will resonate with minorities a lot more than everyone else.

NeoXChaos

tbf didn't Oklahoma elect a Dem governor in 06?

Not that that's like a magic bullet or anything, it doesn't excuse being asshats for the last 10+ years in every other way. I believe OK is also the only state where McCain won every county.

Brad Henry won a plurality in 02. Reelected in 06. Benefited greatly from this in 02: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_gubernatorial_election,_2002
Henry's narrow win has been attributed to Richardson and Largent's split of the conservative vote[1] and the inclusion of a cockfighting ban on the ballot, an issue which brought cockfighting supporters from Southeastern Oklahoma, a traditional Democratic stronghold that strongly supported Henry, out to vote.

He had a D legislature for his first year although I assume it was significantly conservative like the rest of the South's D's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_strength_in_Oklahoma

I suspect like in KS if D's win the governorship in 18' they will have to fight tooth and nail with an R legislature to raise taxes to fix their mess. KS moderates seem tired of Brownback so they might help a D out but OK I'm not sure if there are moderates in the OK legislature(if any) with the stomach to raise taxes.

Booker isn't gonna just hop in without pushing on black issues hard. It's inevitable and which is why I say either he or Harris will shore up minority votes without much difficulty. Unless they're just shrouded with scandals.

Black voters aren't a monolith but it's definitely gonna depress turnout when white male politician ends up winning in the end (on the backs of white voters) unless they have their shit together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom