• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slacker

Jake Tapper‏ @jaketapper

GOP consultant: "House majority is in greater jeopardy if we DONT pass this than if we do... the bottom falls out if we don't get something"
Let's just do it and be legends man!

Slizeezyc

Senators in the GOP won't vote on this the way it is. Then the House won't vote in what comes out of the Senate.

Yeah tons lose insurance AND premiums go up in the short term, there's no tangible wins to take back except to say "repeal and replace" happened. And saying "the DEFICIT goes down not many billions" isn't going to cure all that. I mean I guess it could pass because, you know, Republicans at this point. But I mean it seems pretty cray-cray if it does.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is why the bill is going to pass. Republicans are more afraid of their base revolting than losing moderates.

This is ludicrous. Worse health care is going to turn people against them.

The raging hard on the GOP gets from screwing poor people and the sick will never cease to amaze me.

Alexandra Jaffe‏Verified account
@ajjaffe

Cases upon cases of beer just rolled into the Capitol on a cart covered in a sheet. Spotted Bud Light peeking out from the sheet

PBY

Banned
@ajjaffe

Cases upon cases of beer just rolled into the Capitol on a cart covered in a sheet. Spotted Bud Light peeking out from the sheet

GET.

FUCKED.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why? People were fine with these GOP people when they were just straight out repealing Obamacare.

Because they're actually going to feel it in their pocketbook.

@ajjaffe

GET.

FUCKED.

Them drinking beer and celebrating this bill is going to make for some amazing commercials in 2018.

This is ludicrous. Worse health care is going to turn people against them.
And they are thinking "turn them to who".

They have the gerrymandering in their favor. The senate map for Dems is brutal. And the Democratic Party has yet to show in any way they can contest and win rural voters in numbers that should make them sweat

I see no reason to not just go through with it. They are damned if they do damned if they don't. So might as well do it.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
@ajjaffe

GET.

FUCKED.

C_ADT2fWsAAUOn1.jpg

pic.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Playing the rocky theme in chambers ahead of the vote? Only the GOP would take an underdog movie anthem and use it to hype themselves up to take away healthcare from 24 million people. gg GOP

Edit: and the beer too?
get fucked you cunts

The reason "optics" doesn't hurt the GOP is because nobody in th GOP gives a fuck about "optics." The reason our guys get hurt by "optics" is because we do.

So they can get away with this shit forever but God forbid anyone left of Hitler does anything that even looks like it might be bad.

Slizeezyc

Playing the rocky theme in chambers ahead of the vote? Only the GOP would take an underdog movie anthem and use it to hype themselves up to take away healthcare from 24 million people. good game

Haha, you have a majority in all branches! You're fucking Apollo not Rocky -- Apollo is pretty dope though, so this is still a bad analogy by me. Drago and Clubber are cool, too, so maybe they're Thunderlips.

Plinko

The reason "optics" doesn't hurt the GOP is because nobody in th GOP gives a fuck about "optics." The reason our guys get hurt by "optics" is because we do.

So they can get away with this shit forever but God forbid anyone left of Hitler does anything that even looks like it might be bad.

Optics will hurt with the Obama turned Trump voter.

broz0rs

Let's not get so comfortable with the "this won't pass the Senate" rhetoric. To me, this is like saying don't worry about Trump winning the GOP nod, he'll never beat Clinton.

I'm still just mindfucked how moderate GOP can fall in line with a bill that is probably worse than the previous one considering it's taking away essential health benefits, and adding a pittance amount ($8 billion over 5 years) towards pre-existing conditions can sway so many of them.

Slacker

Donnie and the Republicans are like that ping pong player that wins a point, does the excessive victory dance, then the camera pans over to show he's losing like 20 to 1.

Edit: This guy

What is the GOP mindset behind taking away medicaid? why is that money so important to them? what would they use it for instead?

Want a serious answer not riddled with "lol bc fuck the poor".

Like, in their view, how is this a moral right to them?

tbm24

Let's not get so comfortable with the "this won't pass the Senate" rhetoric. To me, this is like saying don't worry about Trump winning the GOP nod, he'll never beat Clinton.

I'm still just mindfucked how moderate GOP can fall in line with a bill that is probably worse than the previous one considering it's taking away essential health benefits, and adding a pittance amount ($8 billion over 5 years) towards pre-existing conditions can sway so many of them.
Senators represent an entire state while a Congress represents only a district. The consequences are far larger for Senators if they knowingly vote for something as toxic for their state than a congressman.

Because they aren't voting on a bill that is going to get past the senate, they're kicking the can down the road because they don't want to be the ones who couldn't even try to pass any legislation when they control all three branches of the government. This isn't over yet, and their premature keg party is gonna look really fucking dumb when the CBO scores come out and people actually see what's in this bill.

What is the GOP mindset behind taking away medicaid? why is that money so important to them? what would they use it for instead?

Serious answer: lol BC fuck tha poor.

That's IT. That's all there is. They have no higher ambitions than robbing poor people of services to further enrich the wealthy, except MAYBE turning women into breeding stock and putting all non-whites into camps.

Slizeezyc

I think there's a difference between getting comfortable and jumping to "game over man" is all. There's some nuance there in terms of you can't ever give up being rational on some level as an outsider looking at this rather than just jumping to straight panic, otherwise you're just falling into traps those on the other side could as well etc. Be vigilant, know your reps, contact people, do the work, but don't just give up or say what's the point or it's all over.

Hindl

Paul Ryan literally hates poor people. He thinks they're leeches holding down the wealthy and successful. And the HFC basically wants no government at all. That's the answer

i dunno, the message sent by literally throwing a party and celebrating after voting to take away health insurance from millions of people is pretty clear

Senators represent an entire state while a Congress represents only a district. The consequences are far larger for Senators if they knowingly vote for something as toxic for their state than a congressman.
And what states despite this are going to flip dem in the near future if they push this through

Are Dems seriously going to manage winning a senate race in Texas? I doubt it

Republicans are still far better at winning in "blue" areas than Democrats are at winning in "red" ones

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
And what states despite this are going to flip dem in the near future if they push this through

Republicans are still far better at winning in "blue" areas than Democrats are at winning in "red" ones

This is something you'd say if the only elections you're aware of are the last handful, in which a Democrat was president.

If you look at the larger context of history you will understand it is the case in the vast majority of instances that midterms swing against the sitting president to some extent, contingent on how popular/unpopular he was.

in 2008, obama won wisconsin by more than trump won texas in 2016

ask russ feingold how things worked out for him

By having the WH party and press conference, GOP already ensuring that media coverage today will be on their terms.

No idea what if anything have Dems got lined up.

Fox318

"They should get a job"

"They are probably all on heroin anyway"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom