• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
When's the actual vote take place? Got the WaPo live congress video muted in the background, but no point if they're not gonna vote for hours.

As a non-MD person, I actually think MD's state flag is pretty cool.

I also think Texas's is great, simple, Iconic. I don't care about the state one bit, though.

And yeah, Chicago's city flag is great too.

Most state flags look like the work of high school students.

My state flag is of course the worst:

Mississippi-State-Flag.jpg

Ogodei

Definitely passing, given that you have to watch the pre-vote momentum. The waverers fall to no if the prospect is bad, but fall to yes if they think it'll go.

How to win friends and influence countries:

For 1st time, North Korea directly threatens vital ally China

The commentary released Wednesday by the state-run Korean Central News Agency said that "a string of absurd and reckless remarks are now heard from China every day only to render the present bad situation tenser."
"China should no longer try to test the limits of the DPRK's patience," the North Korean commentary said, using the acronym for its official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. "China had better ponder over the grave consequences to be entailed by its reckless act of chopping down the pillar of the DPRK-China relations."

The article was not attributed to any government agency or official; the writer was identified only as Kim Chol. Still, it's unusual for the North to directly criticize China. Previously it has couched such criticism by referring to China only as "a neighboring country."

Definitely passing, given that you have to watch the pre-vote momentum. The waverers fall to no if the prospect is bad, but fall to yes if they think it'll go.
The only hope at this point is that there's a deliberate power play at this point to crush Paul Ryan by jerking the rug out from under him by lying on the whip count, but that's basically fanfiction

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Well, I watched the GOP trot out a bunch of talking heads this morning. Every one of them was asked, "Does this negatively effect consumers and does it protect for existing conditions?

And every one of them Gish Galloped though an incoherent lie, starting with 'Yes, absolutely...' followed by a bunch of nonsense, unsubstantiated theories about what states may and may not do and this repeated explanation that "don't worry, if you didn't drop your insurance you're fully insured" and then every single journalist let them get away with that tactic.

I think this is going to go down VERY badly and senators are going to be scared shitless. Or at least that's my hope.

The only thing I know for certain is that this bill is politically toxic and if the Democrats can't capitalize on it in '18 and '20, we might as well just burn the whole party down and start over.

Wilsongt

Republicans Scrap Rule For Small-Business Retirement Plans

I highlighted the reason why they did this, because otherwise, it makes no goddamn sense. Just like the ACA, who cares if it works, fuck Obama and everything he's done to help, right?
Instead of improving things, they just want to destroy everything, regardless of if it works or not.
They don't care about helping, they just want to nullify everything good that the fist black president has done.

So even more ways that the generation of "middle class workers" after Boomers are never going to be able to retire and have to work until they die.

So even more ways that the generation of "middle class workers" after Boomers are never going to be able to retire and have to work until they die.

More like the generation after that.

The Boomers are retired, and the post-boomers, if they haven't already been saving, are already pretty fucked.

This is, in fact, worst of all for millennials. Especially in the era of decreasing employer benefits. Maybe more of them will vote.

Ogodei

I don't think it will happen, i'm just saying "unprecedented" is wrong

98 and 02 are the only two (barring a wash in 1962), and the only reason 98 happened is because the GOP overplayed their hand on Lewinsky. The Democrats aren't in any position to tank their credibility because they're not in any position to do anything nationally. Even in the few cases where they are, the GOP would simply take away their power to oppose before they could do anything electorally damaging with it.

Holmes

Amodei is voting yes. What a spineless hypocrite. He's definitely retiring next year. I hope Angle is nominated so we have the best chance of picking up his seat, even if it would still be uphill.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Racist regimes design pretty good flags, tbf. Both the Confederate flag and the Nazi flag were incredibly visually evocative designs. A real shame they couldn't have been invented by someone with even a soupcon of humanity.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Reichert is the one who switched from yes to no.

I'm wondering if this is more of a "We know we have the votes and know constituents will hate it, so we'll allow a few GOP Reps in iffy districts to vote no."

That seems really risky. I was under the impression they wanted a bit less than 21 nos before calling a vote, as a bit of padding. I don't think they'd rely on 100% exact specific count, that's really dangerous.

Hindl

Racist regimes design pretty good flags, tbf. Both the Confederate flag and the Nazi flag were incredibly visually evocative designs. A real shame they couldn't have been invented by someone with even a soupcon of humanity.

Yeah the Nazis may be the ultimate embodiment of modern evil, but they knew their aesthetics and there was a coherent design there. All of the hard angles between the flags, the art designs, and the architecture were very evocative

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
They started debates last time before it was pulled. We're basically at the same stage now we were last time, other than there are less definite nos than before.

Yeah. Last time they literally stopped right at the time the vote was supposed to start, after debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom