• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

It's just amazing to me that labor reforms last year were a death knell for Hollande but this year are the créme de le créme for Macron. Unless I'm woefully misunderstanding and the labor reforms last year were wildly popular.
I think it may be because Macron is

a) new and charismatic (this one's important)
b) actually proposing a lot of spending increases (that aren't going to the wealthy)
c) appears to be chipping on the edges w/ labor reforms relative to other areas where they're taking on much bigger battles

I've never understood the whole "offer to resign" and the whole "declining to accept" resignations. Anytime I've resigned from a position, I haven't ever given my bosses a choice about whether to accept it or not. Is this only a thing in politics?
You serve at the pleasure of the President.

I think they have a two-round system?
yeah I guess I just looked it up. Looks like PS is mostly getting killed the same way it did in the presidential election then and too many seats will be split between them and Melenchon's party.

And I thought our system was undemocratic jeez

Blader

Why are people shocked that AHCA complies with reconciliation rules? I thought that was already determined like a week or two ago.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Another source hinted that the President may have misunderstood the exact meaning of Comey's words, especially regarding the FBI's ongoing counterintelligence investigation.
I mean, this always seemed obvious. He probably does believe he was told this, because that's what he wanted to hear and his comprehension skills are piss poor. This is a man who allegedly asked to negotiate a trade deal with Germany ten times before finally Merkel got it into his head that he can only negotiate with the EU.

I've never understood the whole "offer to resign" and the whole "declining to accept" resignations. Anytime I've resigned from a position, I haven't ever given my bosses a choice about whether to accept it or not. Is this only a thing in politics?
Offers to resign from political positions are about taking the fall for your administration. The resignations you're talking about are dissatisfaction with your position.

kirblar

I always thought that in only went the other direction, like, if the president wants you gone, you're gone, not if you want to go, but the president wants you to stay, you're stuck
No, it's about the Pres being able to dismiss you at any time. If you want to quit, you can quit. Only McMaster is stuck cause he's active Mil.

Sessions offered it in a "Do you want me to go?" way. Not a "I want to quit but will stay if you want" way. (the latter is far more common, usually when they need help to stall and find a replacement.)

Gruco

Banned
Why are people shocked that AHCA complies with reconciliation rules? I thought that was already determined like a week or two ago.
It hadn't been ruled on and also because it doesn't?

More to the point, it creates a different standard between construction and repeal for arbitrary reasons.

Also regulations like the young/old price ratios and minimum benefits relate to regulation of industry rather than the federal budget.

Gruco

Banned
The worst thing about Qatar is that it makes us sellouts to all of our allies.

Regardless of what happens domestically, presidents have so much power in foreign relations, and the damage Trump is doing to the word and reputation of this country will last for decades.

The bill is not AHCA, so it will have to go to the House and then back to the Senate again?

I remember from a Politico article that the GOP Senators is pretty much going to vote on it regardless if it dies or not because they want to move on to taxes. I think they might expect it fail at some level.

Their meeting today basically suggests they pass it by July or go off a cliff politically. They were given a PowerPoint presentation that showed the consequences of not doing anything and it apparently made a big impression on them.
And days before the vote, the story plastered everywhere will be 20+ million kicked off their insurance.

I have more faith in that than a power point presentation.

Diablos

And days before the vote, the story plastered everywhere will be 20+ million kicked off their insurance.

They don't care. It's like they KNOW there's a dwindling amount of Americans who can actually understand what the fuck they're actually doing and also know the rest are too dumb or ignorant to see what happening right in front of them.

2016 was one for the ages, I'm telling you. The GOP and especially Trump and his surrogates took falsehoods to a whole other level. This country is never going to fully recover

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Boom?

Comey Told Sessions: Don’t Leave Me Alone With Trump

http://nyti.ms/2sdHNVU

WASHINGTON — The day after President Trump asked James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director, to end an investigation into his former national security adviser, Mr. Comey confronted Attorney General Jeff Sessions and said he did not want to be left alone again with the president, according to current and former law enforcement officials.

Mr. Comey believed Mr. Sessions should protect the F.B.I. from White House influence, the officials said, and pulled him aside after a meeting in February to tell him that private interactions between the F.B.I. director and the president were inappropriate. But Mr. Sessions could not guarantee that the president would not try to talk to Mr. Comey alone again, the officials said.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Sessions wants off the sinking ship.

Trump/Sessions rift is real. I'm told Sessions even offered to resign. Asked about that, his spokesperson declined to comment

https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/872217811120160769

How do you think that KKKeebler elf feels about having it come to this? To think, having to abandon what was most likely the job he's dreamed of since he burned his first cross as a wee lad.

Kevinroc

That faith is misplaced. Republicans will look at Anthem pulling out of the Ohio exchanges and tell themselves "Obamacare is falling apart." (Completely ignoring this is because the White House has been sabotaging the exchanges.)

royalan

They don't care. It's like they KNOW there's a dwindling amount of Americans who can actually understand what the fuck they're actually doing and also know the rest are too dumb or ignorant to see what happening right in front of them.

2016 was one for the ages, I'm telling you. The GOP and especially Trump and his surrogates took falsehoods to a whole other level. This country is never going to fully recover

The country can recover, but not without consequences.

If the Democrats ever regain power, this can't be treated like another recession where the people who nearly drove this country off a cliff were let off scot-free.

People need to go to jail for this. To truly respect our democracy is to guard it fiercely. We have thoroughly failed at that. At SOME point, an example needs to be made, or else what's the point? What's the point of rules, or customs, if there are absolutely no consequences for shitting all over them?

Diablos

That faith is misplaced. Republicans will look at Anthem pulling out of the Ohio exchanges and tell themselves "Obamacare is falling apart." (Completely ignoring this is because the White House has been sabotaging the exchanges.)
Exactly. Trump is almost forcing them to act because he's deliberately using his power to tear it apart. It's disgusting.

The only reason it passed the House the second time was because they did it before there was even an estimate. The bill had no time to breathe and no time for anyone to clear their heads and actually consider. They basically voted on it blind and came out regretting they ever did

Time isn't their friend with this, and they're forced to let it stew for a few weeks while the CBO does their thing.

It's killed the bill once and I don't doubt it can do it again. Especially if the bill does nothing at all what they say it will.

~Kinggi~

Banned

giphy.gif

royalan

I can't think of anything the Dems need more right now than for Ossoff to win.

There's still anger. Money's still (somewhat) pouring in. But that organized sense of purpose among the base around the time of the women's march is dissipating, as someone I know put it. The grassroots are in desperate need of something to collectively grab on to. An Ossoff victory would go a long way toward injecting more juice into an already energized base, not to mention scaring the shit out of Republicans.

No pressure...

Sessions offered to resign? Interesting.
He's playing chicken with Trump.

He wants to maintain some of his power because he doesn't want to just do Trump's bidding at this point. But Trump knows he almost can't get rid of him because his replacement would almost certainly be worse for him than Sessions. It will be nearly impossible for him to appoint a Surrogate to AG or someone who would be at least even somewhat loyal to him like Sessions has been at points

So basically he's saying "I'm going to do what I want at this point. Don't like it, I'll resign. If I don't resign, fire me."

Which honestly is a good play from Sessions. Don't think Trump has a counter.

Kevinroc

The only reason it passed the House the second time was because they did it before there was even an estimate. The bill had no time to breathe and no time for anyone to clear their heads and actually consider. They basically voted on it blind and came out regretting they ever did

Time isn't their friend with this, and they're forced to let it stew for a few weeks while the CBO does their thing.

It's killed the bill once and I don't doubt it can do it again. Especially if the bill does nothing at all what they say it will.

I agree that time isn't their friend. But they want to get this bill done before their next recess. And it's important to note that the old rules of politics no longer apply. This isn't about self-preservation (because the GOP will be punished for what they are doing). This is about doing whatever they can to fulfill their agenda of lowering taxes on the rich while they still can.

The country can recover, but not without consequences.

If the Democrats ever regain power, this can't be treated like another recession where the people who nearly drove this country off a cliff were let off scot-free.

People need to go to jail for this. To truly respect our democracy is to guard it fiercely. We have thoroughly failed at that. At SOME point, an example needs to be made, or else what's the point? What's the point of rules, or customs, if there are absolutely no consequences for shitting all over them?
100% agreed.

I understand the decision to let things go before with the financial meltdown, the Iraq war. Even the Nixon pardon. Because the fallout and distraction from chasing those likely would not have been worth the end result, set some bad precedents or wasted political capitol that could have been better used elsewhere

This shit cannot slide. Not a chance. Existential crisis here. There cannot be zero consequences for attempted what has gone down.

Gruco

Banned
I can't think of anything the Dems need more right now than for Ossoff to win.

There's still anger. Money's still (somewhat) pouring in. But that organized sense of purpose among the base around the time of the women's march is dissipating, as someone I know put it. The grassroots are in desperate need of something to collectively grab on to. An Ossoff victory would go a long way toward injecting more juice into an already energized base, not to mention scaring the shit out of Republicans.

No pressure...

Stakes in that election are high. It genuinely is the best chance to flash the Republicans with the downsides of their "cover for Trump at all costs" strategy. Until the costs are real, they will keep playing games, dodging the camera, and making excuses.

I mean, they will keep doing those things afterwards as well, but ultimately what the Resistance needs is a chance to prove itself as scary to republicans as the Trumpists already are.

One thing that gets me is Mueller isn't playing the obstruction stuff close to his chest. If that was the end of the story I don't think he'd let Comey et al testify publicly.

Gruco

Banned
Paging the office of Eric Schneiderman

Forbes said:
And while donors to the Eric Trump Foundation were told their money was going to help sick kids, more than $500,000 was re-donated to other charities, many of which were connected to Trump family members or interests, including at least four groups that subsequently paid to hold golf tournaments at Trump courses.

All of this seems to defy federal tax rules and state laws that ban self-dealing and misleading donors. It also raises larger questions about the Trump family dynamics and whether Eric and his brother, Don Jr., can be truly independent of their father.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Other than two republican senators suddenly being more open to the AHCA, what evidence is there that it will pass the Senate?

Rumors of a meeting between GOP leadership and senators where they were shown what they believed to be "evidence" of what would happen to their party if they didn't pass healthcare legislation.

Most likely party propaganda to try and force them into a vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom