• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the thing Axios was teasing:

Trump pitched Republican leaders on a solar-paneled border wall

In the meeting at the White House today with Republican Congressional leaders, President Trump spent some time talking up his latest idea for the border wall. According to 3 people with direct knowledge of the meeting, Trump floated the idea that the wall could be covered in solar panels and the electricity generated used to pay for the cost.

Lmao

omg she goes and makes sure her statement comports with policy! we should be happy she's doing this instead of spewing bullshit like spicer

the horror. what a stupid thing to bitch about.

i've seen actual foreign policy experts happy she did that bit partisan hacks like willis have to pretend they know what the fuck they're talking about for the RTs
You've gone off the deep end.

Kusagari

Trump finding a way to combine saving us from global warming AND saving us from illegal immigrants?

No wonder this man became president!

You've gone off the deep end.

Nothing in that video is particularly out of character with how State Department briefings go. There is gennerally a bunch of flipping through the big book, because they want to be very careful and precise with their answers.

That video is kinda garbo. It doesn't actually have the question asked or the answer given. It's honestly they type of calorie-free attack I would expect from Hannity.

barber

Lmao

Two main problems:
1.- I guess he wants to put solar panels on top of a wall so that means that the thickness has to be increased to at least 2 m (as the repairs / cable stuff has to be put in there). And that is just putting a line of one single panel.
2.- The costs of repairs and sending the electricity will be horrible as the number of solar panel / km will be laughable. Plus the problem of all of them being in line which means that the panels would have only be able to work efficiently when they aren't in conflict with each other.
So it would both make the construction more expensive (as the wall will be thicker and need additional electric support structures) plus probably make the maintainance even worse. PERFECT PLAN

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
YES!

Jesus. I've been banging this drum for months, people keep shouting me down, and this healthcare bill keeps rolling.

The AHCA hasn't rolled anywhere except into the fucking dumpster.

Their legislative agenda has accomplished jack shit. Multiple prominent GOP senators have gone on record saying healthcare isn't getting done this year or even before the midterms.

I wouldn't stake my word on saying nothing ever passes, but your characterization of it as some sort of unstoppable force is so goddamn inaccurate it's painful.

Two main problems:
1.- I guess he wants to put solar panels on top of a wall so that means that the thickness has to be increased to at least 2 m (as the repairs / cable stuff has to be put in there). And that is just putting a line of one single panel.
2.- The costs of repairs and sending the electricity will be horrible as the number of solar panel / km will be laughable. Plus the problem of all of them being in line which means that the panels would have only be able to work efficiently when they aren't in conflict with each other.
So it would both make the construction more expensive (as the wall will be thicker and need additional electric support structures) plus probably make the maintainance even worse. PERFECT PLAN

And there is the fact that if the Wall did get built, it would become a magnet for vandalism. Putting delicate equipment on it seems like a terribad idea.

Crocodile

I'm not going to guess the status of the AHCA in the Senate right now but I still think its a good idea to call/contact your Republican Senators and chew their ears out. It might not be much but any pressure is better than no pressure.

Lmao

Bo5oqSYCYAAWPds.jpg

barber

And there is the fact that if the Wall did get built, it would become a magnet for vandalism. Putting delicate equipment on it seems like a terribad idea.
Was gonna add the steal plus damage from people jumping from Mexico but just wanted to put the operational problems as Trump is such a great builder
/s

ivajz

On CNN
FIRST ON CNN: US Suspects Russian Hackers Planted Fake News Behind Qatar Crisis
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/06/politics/russian-hackers-planted-fake-news-qatar-crisis/index.html

Washington (CNN)US investigators believe Russian hackers breached Qatar's state news agency and planted a fake news report that contributed to a crisis among the US' closest Gulf allies, according to US officials briefed on the investigation.

The FBI recently sent a team of investigators to Doha to help the Qatari government investigate the alleged hacking incident, Qatari and US government officials say.
Intelligence gathered by the US security agencies indicates that Russian hackers were behind the intrusion first reported by the Qatari government two weeks ago, US officials say. Qatar hosts one of the largest US military bases in the region.
The alleged involvement of Russian hackers intensifies concerns by US intelligence and law enforcement agencies that Russia continues to try some of the same cyber-hacking measures on US allies that intelligence agencies believe it used to meddle in the 2016 elections.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They would not have constructed it as is if it didn't.

That's why there's no state lines provision in there. Because it can't be. If none of the bill would comply with it they may as well have included it

There's a difference between the GOP saying it and the Senate Parliamentarian saying it. If it's the former then it doesn't matter as they could easily be lying, if it's the latter then it's a huge deal.

Ogodei

That's an interesting claim that the waiver provisions are relevant. The bulk of it i could see, it's a tax cut/spending cut bill in the main that does lower government outlays, but how do the waivers factor in?

Gruco

Banned
If that's the ruling from the parliamentarian, people should riot. Genuinely the most offensive single thing to happen since Trump took office.

It would be nice if it just killed the 60 vote threshold in practice (everything is budget now). But if this is coming from the parliamentarian, we just created seperate legal regimes for the development and for the destruction of programs.

Why wouldn't it comply?

Doesn't mean it'll pass.
Changing the relative pricing ratios and removing guaranteed benefits are at best incidental budget responses to non-budgetary regulation of industry, which is explicitly disallowed by the Byrd rule.

Basically, she refuses to commit to saying LGBTQ students would be protected from discrimination, and she refuses to say that they'll be any protections ensuring that for-profit/private school funding goes toward educating students instead of lining corporate pockets.

Her target here is protecting religious private schools that want to discriminate. Half the point of the private school push is to give social conservatives an alternative from secularist, liberal education.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Yep. This thing is passing at some point.

Here's the thing about republicans: greed and racism (undoing what Obama did) are going to overpower any revolt they get from their constituents.

Ogodei

If that's the ruling from the parliamentarian, people should riot. Genuinely the most offensive single thing to happen since Trump took office.

It would be nice if it just killed the 60 vote threshold in practice (everything is budget now). But if this is coming from the parliamentarian, we just created seperate legal regimes for the development and for the destruction of programs.

Changing the relative pricing ratios and removing guaranteed benefits are at best incidental budget responses to non-budgetary regulation of industry, which is explicitly disallowed by the Byrd rule.

It's always been easier to destroy than to create, makes sense that this should apply to laws as well.

Granted, they're trying to hawk this as a replacement.

Ac30

The AHCA hasn't rolled anywhere except into the fucking dumpster.

Their legislative agenda has accomplished jack shit. Multiple prominent GOP senators have gone on record saying healthcare isn't getting done this year or even before the midterms.

I wouldn't stake my word on saying nothing ever passes, but your characterization of it as some sort of unstoppable force is so goddamn inaccurate it's painful.

What the fuck Emerson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom