• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

@dramatis: Sexism is bad and it clearly hurt Clinton a lot but is there really any need for you to stan for May or LePen? Especially Le Pen? Like am I supposed to feel bad sexism might have kept a Nazi from being president of France? I feel super bad about what it did to Clinton but you can make the argument that "sexism is real and its bad" without propping up women most of us wouldn't want to hold office for legit, non-sexist reasons.

Acknowledging the role sexism plays in our politics is not "propping up" bad women.

gaugebozo

Trump broke his Twitter silence

@realDonaldTrump:
Despite so many false statements and lies, total and complete vindication...and WOW, Comey is a leaker!
Well, I guess we're going to have to have the president come to Congress and testify under oath to solve this riddle.

Wilsongt

Ha, everything was a lie except for when he was totally vindicated. It's going to be amusing watching Trump go around thinking he has nothing to worry about.

I'm sure he'll go about seeing how right he was about firing Comey because he was a L👏 E 👏 A 👏 K👏 E 👏 R

I await the IC going "bitch,'please" and going ham again.

I'm sure he'll go about seeing how right he was about firing Comey because he was a L👏 E 👏 A 👏 K👏 E 👏 R

I await the IC going "bitch,'please" and going ham again.

I fully expect big oppo today. Most likely that Trump is now being personally investigated.

Oh my God, Ossoff's ahead by 7!!!

An Atlanta Journal-Constitution poll released Friday shows Democrat Jon Ossoff has a 7-point edge over Republican Karen Handel in the nationally-watched race to represent Georgia’s 6th District.

The poll of likely voters has Ossoff leading Handel by a 51-44 margin ahead of the June 20 runoff. About 5 percent of voters are undecided. The margin of error is 4 percentage points.

It’s one of a several recent polls that show Ossoff with an advantage in the contest, although most other surveys show a tighter race.

The findings show Ossoff has an enormous lead over Handel among women, leading 60-34. The Republican is beating Ossoff among male voters by a 52-41 margin. He has a solid advantage over Handel among younger voters, while she has a slim majority of voters who are over 65.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/06/09/ajc-poll-ossoff-opens-lead-over-handel-in-georgias-6th/

Crocodile

Acknowledging the role sexism plays in our politics is not "propping up" bad women.

Why even mention Le Pen? The point can be made without her.

May is nowhere close to Le Pen but after a terror attack she basically said "fuck human rights!". Am I supposed to be sad her election plans backfired on her? I don't doubt some of the language that is being used against her is inappropriately sexually/gender charged and that is straight up bad and should be called out. But again I'm not going to feel bad for her because she's like legit bad in many ways.

It's not about whether they are good or bad, it is acknowledging that good or bad, women in politics have an extra weight to carry.

I want to be happy about a revitalized left. Then I look at the folks who rep it in the US.

Jacobin and Intercept, Adam Johnson, TYT, Nina Turner, Cornel West, etc, nevermind Bernie.

And I just think, "I want a better left". One that can actually engage the base.

Maledict

Everyone is easily zeroing in on ideology and political spectrum, but I can very easily see another obvious difference between
Trump, Corbyn, Macron
and
Hillary, May, LePen

But in a space filled with dudes, the first response to that argument is always, "This has nothing to do with gender."

Ascribing one answer to elections is probably a bad idea.

Time to move on guys, healthcare fight this month. Again.

How come this always happens on gaf

I'm perplexed by how the country that had a woman as its longest serving prime minister, who six weeks ago had a female leader as its highest rated party leader *ever*, who still voted in large numbers to elect female leaders in northern ireland, scotland and wales, somehow has an underlying sexism issue.

Maybe it was her terrible polices, awful record, cowardice and inability to actually sell a vision for the country that hurt her?

I also think lumping May in with LePen in an attempt to argue a point about sexism is frankly disgraceful. I don't like Theresa May, but she isn't a fucking Nazi and you belittle the entire (valuable!) conversation about the difficulties women face in politics by pretending that is a factor.

Diablos

Everyone is easily zeroing in on ideology and political spectrum, but I can very easily see another obvious difference between
Trump, Corbyn, Macron
and
Hillary, May, LePen

But in a space filled with dudes, the first response to that argument is always, "This has nothing to do with gender."

Ascribing one answer to elections is probably a bad idea.

Time to move on guys, healthcare fight this month. Again.

I think the response to May and Le Pen has more to do with rejecting much of their ideology especially in a Brexit and Trump world. Hillary on the other hand, sure, she suffered a lot from sexist males who cringe at the thought of a woman in charge of anything. But she also had like 3 decades of manufactured scandals and a tone deaf campaign doing her a great disservice too. Oh and an FBI investigation which reared its ugly head in the final days of the campaign.

That they're all women is a coincidence honestly. Hillary is certainly not the same kind of person personally or ideologically speaking.

As for the AHCA I think it's going to pass. When Heller, Cassidy and Capito are all of the sudden receptive to changes it's all but over.

Nice to wake up to some sanity returning to the world. I was getting worried about the UK, for awhile there they seemed to be on an even faster track to chaos than we are

From what I'm hearing about DUP this might be a lateral move. If not a turn for the worse.

Looks to me like an ineffective government that doesn't do anything until the next election when Labour finally hits the killing blow and fully takes over.

But I don't really know much about UK politics, just seemed to be the feeling in the election thread.

It's not about whether they are good or bad, it is acknowledging that good or bad, women in politics have an extra weight to carry.

I want to be happy about a revitalized left. Then I look at the folks who rep it in the US.

Jacobin and Intercept, Adam Johnson, TYT, Nina Turner, Cornel West, etc, nevermind Bernie.

And I just think, "I want a better left". One that can actually engage the base.
I highly doubt we will get a "better left" in the US.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Looks to me like an ineffective government that doesn't do anything until the next election when Labour finally hits the killing blow and fully takes over.

But I don't really know much about UK politics, just seemed to be the feeling in the election thread.

The DUP have stopped the NI assembly from functioning since the election in March. This agreement won't last the year.

It's still an interesting discussion with regard to May. Her pitch was "strong and stable" both having gender association with regard to leadership. The way in which May acts to try and present these are probably more punished as a woman.

But also she was just a bit shit.

Also lol Nina Turner.

Maledict

It's still an interesting discussion with regard to May. Her pitch was "strong and stable" both having gender association with regard to leadership. The way in which May acts to try and present these are probably more punished as a woman.

But also she was just a bit shit.

Also lol Nina Turner.

The strongest leader in living memory was a woman. Even labour supporters would agree on that - Maggie utterly dominated politics for her period as PM in a way not even Blair managed.

dramatis

@dramatis: Sexism is bad and it clearly hurt Clinton a lot but is there really any need for you to stan for May or LePen? Especially Le Pen? Like am I supposed to feel bad sexism might have kept a Nazi from being president of France? I feel super bad about what it did to Clinton but you can make the argument that "sexism is real and its bad" without propping up women most of us wouldn't want to hold office for legit, non-sexist reasons.
I don't think it's a case of stanning for May or LePen. I'm pointing out that they're all women, and in modern society, women have disadvantages, regardless of their ideology or not.

Suppose a woman did what Jeremy Corbyn did within the Labour Party and clung to power regardless of criticism. He was attacked for incompetence and ineptitude, but a woman in his place would be vilified for being a power-hungry bitch. She wouldn't be recognized for her policies or positions, but for her audacity to be ambitious.

I'm not asking you to feel bad that sexism might have kept a Nazi from being president of France. In the context of my suggestion, people have already jumped to conclusions about what the UK election should apparently mean for US elections, and what kind of strategy we should have going forward, when obviously there are a myriad of other possible reasons for why voters realigned in UK (not only to Labour but also the weird movements to Tory), as well as the tacit understanding that the US and the UK do differ in many areas.

I threw out the sexism argument because most men tend to dismiss the gender argument almost instantly. But obviously, sexism is always present when a female is present amidst a bunch of males. My suggestion is, if people are going to be the first in line to dismiss gender, then they might also have to reconsider their other assumptions.

But I don't expect they will, so I suppose this whole argument is moot.

With sexism, my observation on GAF is that guys tend to downplay gender dynamics. A lot. GAF is male-dominated, and men have different priorities. If we did a hypothetical election where the choice is between a female Nazi and a rapist male, I expect that GAF would lean towards the male, because GAF can be male and minority but not female. There would be excuses of all sorts for the male, while the female would be demonized. The female doesn't even have to be a Nazi for guys to prefer the rapist male; I remember ryotaromama (?) being very enamored of Clinton but hating Hillary's guts for his projecting of her thinking "it's her turn".

And sexism is bad regardless of whether or not the woman is good or bad. Making that exemption is kind of justifying the position that white people have about black people: only willing to help "the good ones".

I mean Thatcher underwent voice coaching to be taken seriously. She had to balance being acceptably "ladylike" but not so much of a lady that the concept of her being powerful was at odds. She was also reviled but that's presumably as much policy as personality.

Maledict

I mean Thatcher underwent voice coaching to be taken seriously. She had to balance being acceptably "ladylike" but not so much of a lady that the concept of her being powerful was at odds. She was also reviled but that's presumably as much policy as personality.

Thatcher was reviled by the left, absolutely. She was adored by the centre and right, and that's how she won all those elections. Large elements of the country still love her today. It's an unfortunate side effect of the internet that people get a mistaken impression on how she's currently regarded - the Daily Mail were worshipping her only a few weeks ago.

Re. voice coaching - so did the former King of Britain and Ed Miliband. She had a bad voice.

Pixieking

Banned
I don't think it's a case of stanning for May or LePen. I'm pointing out that they're all women, and in modern society, women have disadvantages, regardless of their ideology or not.

Suppose a woman did what Jeremy Corbyn did within the Labour Party and clung to power regardless of criticism. He was attacked for incompetence and ineptitude, but a woman in his place would be vilified for being a power-hungry bitch. She wouldn't be recognized for her policies or positions, but for her audacity to be ambitious.

This is hard to say for sure. I get where you're coming from, but I don't think you can draw inferences that the amount of sexism in the US, UK and France is equal. It may be in your example she would be called a power-hungry bitch, but considering even Theresa May wasn't particularly attacked for being power hungry and a woman even with the call to crack down on internet freedoms, I'm not sure I can buy your argument.

I threw out the sexism argument because most men tend to dismiss the gender argument almost instantly. But obviously, sexism is always present when a female is present amidst a bunch of males. My suggestion is, if people are going to be the first in line to dismiss gender, then they might also have to reconsider their other assumptions.

I think generalising here (specifically, PoliGAF) and the wider world is unwise. Whilst sexism is continually downplayed with regards to Hillary's loss and treatment in the media, it's also consistently called out in this thread.

With sexism, my observation on GAF is that guys tend to downplay gender dynamics. A lot. GAF is male-dominated, and men have different priorities. If we did a hypothetical election where the choice is between a female Nazi and a rapist male, I expect that GAF would lean towards the male, because GAF can be male and minority but not female.

Whilst the sexist dicks on Gaf are obvious, the US essentially had your example election - Trump raped his first wife, and sexually assaulted others. Hillary, meanwhile, was called many things by the Right - and it seems most of Gaf came out against Trump, even if they didn't like Hillary.

There would be excuses of all sorts for the male, while the female would be demonized. The female doesn't even have to be a Nazi for guys to prefer the rapist male; I remember ryotaromama (?) being very enamored of Clinton but hating Hillary's guts for his projecting of her thinking "it's her turn".

I always took people's problems with Hillary and "her turn" to be an attack entirely on the political establishment, and not in any way something to do with gender. You could argue Bernie's skill was in making people think he wasn't power-mad and establishment, even though he had been involved in politics longer than Hillary.

And sexism is bad regardless of whether or not the woman is good or bad. Making that exemption is kind of justifying the position that white people have about black people: only willing to help "the good ones".

Sexism and ideology are hard to unravel when you get into the more right-wing politics, I think. For instance, Le Pen seemed to have less attacks against her femininity than Hillary - that is, Hillary is softer and more left wing, but seemed to have more shit flung at her regarding her "cold and calculating" demeanor. But then, as has been pointed out before, using Hillary in any example is debatable, because of the narrative written against her for the past 25 years by the GOP. And, unfortunately, comparing May and Le Pen doesn't really help, since they're both right-wing career politicians, with a somewhat-shared ideology - there's no contrast there.

Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting the "downplay social issues", "talk less about minorities", etc narrative some people have crafted. I think that is bullshit. And I've denounced it on here countless times that we can't do that.

But Hillary did not hit the marks. She fell off several percentage points with black voters and Latinos. Virtually every minority demographic there is she did worse with except Asian voters if I remember correctly split more towards her than Obama.

I don't mean to imply you're downplaying social issues.

The second paragraph here is accurate but those targets were the goal. No one is touching Obama on his numbers with people of color and the Clinton campaign knew that and planned for it. They planned on smaller turnout there. Their issue was assuming turnout in other demographics that wasn't there.

So a Democrat can absolutely do much worse with black people, Hispanic people, or LGBT people.

chadskin

"Hey Jim, this is Barry."
"H-hello Mr. President."
"Look, I want to talk about Hillary Clinton. She's been through a lot. I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Hillary go. She is a good person. I hope you can let this go."
"She ... is a good person."

Three months later, President Obama fires FBI director Comey.

"What prompted you to fire the FBI director? In this letter it says you accepted the recommendation of the deputy attorney general ..."
"True, Lester, he had made a recommendation. But regardless of recommendation, I was going to fire Comey knowing there was no good time to do it. And in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself -- I said, you know, this email thing with Hillary and her server is a made-up story. It's an excuse for the Republicans to slander her."

“I just fired the head of the FBI. He was crazy, a real nut job, Debbie. We faced great pressure because of the email server. That's taken off.”

Ryan denies GOP would try to impeach Dem accused of same actions as Trump

Kevinroc

Can't at the moment. What's up?

McCaskill asks if the Republicans are planning to hold a hearing on AHCA. Hatch blathers on before an aide whispers into his ear and he starts to lie. McCaskill then chews him out for that crap.

It must be seen.

(If someone wants to make a thread, go right ahead.)

Crocodile

I'm not asking you to feel bad that sexism might have kept a Nazi from being president of France. In the context of my suggestion, people have already jumped to conclusions about what the UK election should apparently mean for US elections, and what kind of strategy we should have going forward, when obviously there are a myriad of other possible reasons for why voters realigned in UK (not only to Labour but also the weird movements to Tory), as well as the tacit understanding that the US and the UK do differ in many areas.

With sexism, my observation on GAF is that guys tend to downplay gender dynamics. A lot. GAF is male-dominated, and men have different priorities. If we did a hypothetical election where the choice is between a female Nazi and a rapist male, I expect that GAF would lean towards the male, because GAF can be male and minority but not female. There would be excuses of all sorts for the male, while the female would be demonized. The female doesn't even have to be a Nazi for guys to prefer the rapist male; I remember ryotaromama (?) being very enamored of Clinton but hating Hillary's guts for his projecting of her thinking "it's her turn".

I mean your argument might have been better made in the UK Election thread because nobody right now in here (though obviously this was/is an issue when Clinton herself is a subject here) is dismissing the role of gender in politics. Your post seems out of the blue otherwise and isn't telling anyone right now anything they don't already know? Like I sympathize with you. You've been beating this drum for months and its a good drum to beat because you are totally correct. It's just hard for me to care too much that sexism might have hurt May and Le Pen (especially the later, its still weird they are both in this conversation at the same time) because they are actually awful people. I don't care that it would likely be tough for Ben Carson to ever win the Republican nomination due to racism because he is also a terrible person. I would care if a non-terrible (as if with the current GOP LOL) woman/minority was denied a nomination in that party solely due to their race/gender though.

kess

The leaders of the Scottish Conservatives, Scottish Labour, Scottish National Party, Democratic Unionist Party, Plaid Cymru, and NI Sinn Fein are currently lead by women, so it's not like the UK is devoid of popular leadership on that front. Of course, England is the exception, but female participation increased in this parliament.

So are these people like our Tea Party, or are they actually like proper nazis?

They're like hard right religious Republicans. No gay marriage, no abortion even in case of rape or incest, wink at climate change denialism, etc. Oh and they only allow very limited business hours on Sunday since its the Lord's day.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Muller getting more people together.

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/i...obe?cmp=share_twitter&slreturn=20170509102445

Mueller Enlists Top Criminal Law Expert for Russia Probe

Deputy solicitor general Michael Dreeben, who has argued more than 100 cases before the U.S. Supreme Court and oversees the Justice Department’s criminal appellate docket, will be assisting Mueller on a part-time basis, according to sources familiar with the arrangement.
While helping Mueller, Dreeben will continue in his role in the solicitor general’s office, with other lawyers in the office pitching in to help him with upcoming criminal cases.

The move signals that Mueller is seeking advice on the complexities that have arisen already in the investigations, including what constitutes obstruction of justice.
"Michael Dreeben is to criminal law what Robert Mueller is to investigations,” former acting Solicitor General Neal Katyal said Thursday night. “Literally the very best. Yet another sign of how serious Mueller is about this matter." Now a partner at Hogan Lovells, Katyal has been a key figure in challenging President Donald Trump’s travel ban.

Muller getting more people together.

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/i...obe?cmp=share_twitter&slreturn=20170509102445

Mueller Enlists Top Criminal Law Expert for Russia Probe

Deputy solicitor general Michael Dreeben, who has argued more than 100 cases before the U.S. Supreme Court and oversees the Justice Department’s criminal appellate docket, will be assisting Mueller on a part-time basis, according to sources familiar with the arrangement.
While helping Mueller, Dreeben will continue in his role in the solicitor general’s office, with other lawyers in the office pitching in to help him with upcoming criminal cases.

The move signals that Mueller is seeking advice on the complexities that have arisen already in the investigations, including what constitutes obstruction of justice.
"Michael Dreeben is to criminal law what Robert Mueller is to investigations,” former acting Solicitor General Neal Katyal said Thursday night. “Literally the very best. Yet another sign of how serious Mueller is about this matter." Now a partner at Hogan Lovells, Katyal has been a key figure in challenging President Donald Trump’s travel ban.
God I hope Mueller presents his final results in October 2018.

Holmes

If he's still getting people together now, there's no way he's ready to announce any findings for a good while. Doing it in the Fall of 2018 would be fuckery that I'd live for.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You have to have a solid, error-free case if you're going to start charging people with high crimes. Let these guys do their work.

Teggy

Stay losing, Grover

DB4hc8rXoAA18Z3

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I think we got at least a year or two more left.

Let me have some hope. It will be like waiting for Terry Gilliams Don Quixote. Just gonna get pushed back year after year. I know in the back of mind it is not coming for a long time but I will keep thinking it comes out each new season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom