• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

I mean Thatcher underwent voice coaching to be taken seriously. She had to balance being acceptably "ladylike" but not so much of a lady that the concept of her being powerful was at odds. She was also reviled but that's presumably as much policy as personality.
One of the articles about upcoming contenders in the winter wrote about Harris doing this as well- apparently to change where her airflow was coming from when speaking.
Just for that district, that already had a lot of republican voters that didn't like trump on election day. It's why this is more of a must win than the historical relative party strength would suggest.
Well educated suburban districts are THE big pickup opportunity in '18.

Just for that district, that already had a lot of republican voters that didn't like trump on election day. It's why this is more of a must win than the historical relative party strength would suggest.

It's still an R+8 district that (barely) voted for Trump last election. Those numbers are bad news for Trump and Handel.

Agreed that it's a must win as well. Districts like GA-06 are likely going to be future of the Democratic Party.

Barzul

Just got an alert from Reuters that the Trump administration is reopening closed Obama era deportation decisions for folks who got granted reprieve. Why? Just unusual and cruel.

Cooper called a special session to handle legislative redistricting and NC Republicans turned him down. The legislature has until 6/22 to draw new lines or else the courts will do it.

Basically he wants to get new lines drawn so they'll be ready for a hypothetical 2017 election. Get it done quick enough and they could schedule them to coincide with the municipal elections this November.

I can't tell you all how much I would love for Democrats to swing the NC legislature (in addition to NJ gov and VA House - also there's a special State Senate election in WA to watch out for) this November, especially given the shit they pulled on Cooper right before he was sworn in.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Just got an alert from Reuters that the Trump administration is reopening closed Obama era deportation decisions for folks who got granted reprieve. Why? Just unusual and cruel.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Exclusive: Trump targets illegal immigrants who were given reprieves from deportation by Obama

The Trump administration has moved to reopen the cases of hundreds of illegal immigrants who, like Velasquez, had been given a reprieve from deportation, according to government data and court documents reviewed by Reuters and interviews with immigration lawyers.

Trump signaled in January that he planned to dramatically widen the net of illegal immigrants targeted for deportation, but his administration has not publicized its efforts to reopen immigration cases.

It represents one of the first concrete examples of the crackdown promised by Trump and is likely to stir fears among tens of thousands of illegal immigrants who thought they were safe from deportation.

While cases were reopened during the Obama administration as well, it was generally only if an immigrant had committed a serious crime, immigration attorneys say. The Trump administration has sharply increased the number of cases it is asking the courts to reopen, and its targets appear to include at least some people who have not committed any crimes since their cases were closed.

Between March 1 and May 31, prosecutors moved to reopen 1,329 cases, according to a Reuters' analysis of data from the Executive Office of Immigration Review, or EOIR. The Obama administration filed 430 similar motions during the same period in 2016. (For a graphic: tmsnrt.rs/2s8csUZ)

Trump's campaign promises roughly fit into categories: Promises to make his supporters' lives better and promises to make his supporters' enemies lives worse. As one of those things become more and more impossible for him to deliver on, he's going to increasingly focus on the other.

It's going to get even uglier before this is all over.

Zereta

Everyone is easily zeroing in on ideology and political spectrum, but I can very easily see another obvious difference between
Trump, Corbyn, Macron
and
Hillary, May, LePen

But in a space filled with dudes, the first response to that argument is always, "This has nothing to do with gender."

Ascribing one answer to elections is probably a bad idea.

Time to move on guys, healthcare fight this month. Again.

How come this always happens on gaf

I'm gonna push back on the gender thing just a little.

I'm not particularly familiar with Corbyn, I know he's been around for a while. But the element that's missing here is that Trump and Macron were both outsider candidates, #change candidates. They weren't part of the establishment politics (the fact that the main parties in France were also diminished is also an indicator of this)

Corbyn, I don't know. But it's easy to see how Corbyn's, I guess, popular with the youth policy proposals, May's mistakes and a reaction, at some level, to Brexit and Trump shook the UK elections the way they did.

Hilary was "establishment."

Le Pen was also an outsider which didn't matter. Macron was also a change candidate so it didn't have to be an anti-establishment vote, it was a Nazi or no-Nazi vote. The not Nazi won.

The trend here, to me, is that people are voting for change of some sort. They don't trust their government and want to shake it up, where possible. Brexit and Trump might have also played some role in convincing European vote to go for a "safer," more reliably pro-global/EU leader.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
DB5TGFaUAAAUfZz.jpg

Please proceed, GOP.

Which party do we trust to do a better job, the NC legislature or the courts?
Courts are D majority and would likely draw a fair map

NC legislature would probably draw a GOP gerrymander that complies with the racial lines which wouldn't be much better, so we want the courts here

Fox318

DB5TGFaUAAAUfZz.jpg

Please proceed, GOP.

Shame about it is they could fix parts of the plan.

Like forcing under 26 year olds who have a job that provides a plan to buy in instead of staying on their parents plan. It would help subsidies the costs of older workers.

Teggy

I guess if the Republicans are going to get kicked out of office regardless, they prefer a pyrrhic victory instead of a total loss.

Blader

DB5TGFaUAAAUfZz.jpg

Please proceed, GOP.

But look that margin of error. Its approvals could actually be 20 percent!

I guess if the Republicans are going to get kicked out of office regardless, they prefer a phyrric victory instead of a total loss.

This is something I've brought up before, but it's worth remembering that there were many Dems, particularly in the House, who took a tough vote in 2010 to pass the ACA when they knew it would likely cost them their seats (and did) but forged ahead because they believed it was the right thing to do. There are many Republicans, in both the House and Senate, who are true believers and many very well be fine with that pyrrhic victory because they believe they're doing the right thing.

dramatis

The trend here, to me, is that people are voting for change of some sort. They don't trust their government and want to shake it up, where possible. Brexit and Trump might have also played some role in convincing European vote to go for a "safer," more reliably pro-global/EU leader.
You're missing the point.

Or perhaps you indirectly proved my point: people are fixing whatever narrative they prefer on elections worldwide. Then prescribing what characteristics they want on a future candidate, years down the road, from their own country.

It has to do with discussion that occurred in the thread last night.

In essence what you're doing isn't all that different. "These candidates won because they were X. These candidates lost because they were Y. So we should run Y candidates in the future, everywhere." The X/Y can be outsiders/establishment, the X/Y can be male/female, the X/Y can be hard left/moderate, and so on.

I'm just of the opinion that it is more complicated than only reason X. And that's why I used gender as an example, because I knew it would immediately be disagreed with (lol!).

Fox318

It's even worse than it was when it was in the House!

That would cut my sister's paycheck by like 200 dollars. So let's not do that.

That was a major impact on hurting business switching over to the ACA. Suddenly their workforce average age jumped up and it made it harder on companies to shop and many employees wound up paying more.

Its already happening now in some states where if your spouse is working he can't claim being a dependent. He has to order health care from his job.

Depending on her paycheck she may be better off going through the exchange anyway if she has a job.

That was a major impact on hurting business switching over to the ACA. Suddenly their workforce average age jumped up and it made it harder on companies to shop and many employees wound up paying more.

Its already happening now in some states where if your spouse is working he can't claim being a dependent. He has to order health care from his job.

Depending on her paycheck she may be better off going through the exchange anyway if she has a job.

I'm not really a huge fan of pushing costs onto a generation that has already disproportionately taken the brunt force of having the pay for past generations.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
There's supposed to be some big oppo droppo on Paul Ryan today - any idea as to what?

I've seen nothing on this yet want it desperately. Please tell me it isn't Mensch.

Plinko

It is. Can safely ignore.

Louise Mensch @LouiseMensch

Got a big story coming on Paul Ryan. Confirmed major stuff in DC on #ComeyDay
11:13 AM · Jun 9, 2017

I mean, with the way Ryan acts about Trump, I wouldn't be at all shocked if he's been complicit in illegal stuff, but I won't trust Mensch at all.

benjipwns

Banned
I've seen nothing on this yet want it desperately. Please tell me it isn't Mensch.

It is. Can safely ignore.

Louise Mensch @LouiseMensch

Got a big story coming on Paul Ryan. Confirmed major stuff in DC on #ComeyDay
11:13 AM · Jun 9, 2017
Two more Kremlin stooges identified on GAF. As I've pointed out many times in my many detailed posts outlining these infiltrators, they're who you least expect.

DB5TGFaUAAAUfZz.jpg

Please proceed, GOP.

I really don't want 23 million people to lose their health insurance, so I hope these polls/public pressure (call your GOP Senators) scares them off. That said, I'm pessimistic that anything will change their minds at this point. They seem awfully determined to ram it through.

Pocketbook issues need to be a major focus of our 2018 message (and no, we don't have to and shouldn't let up on social justice to do so). Make the message clear that the GOP is screwing over average Americans to pay for tax cuts for the rich and that Democrats will fight hard for universal healthcare, etc. This is an area where the Clinton campaign was terrible (her policies weren't bad, but her messaging and focus was just awful) and where there's a major opening for us because we can point to what the Republicans are actually doing.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Two more Kremlin stooges identified on GAF. As I've pointed out many times in my many detailed posts outlining these infiltrators, they're who you least expect.

I wouldn't trust you to point out any Russian operatives, comrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom