• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who keeps pushing the Castros as the Dems "young bench"? Good lord. If one of them wants to be Vice President, they should at least win, I don't know, a Senate seat or something.

Like is this actually coming from the party, or do they just have really good press offices?
because the Dem latino bench is sadly really empty.

This conversation really does show that it's way too early to discuss this question. Literally every possible candidate is being mentioned.
True, and I am hopeful that it'll come down to a question that'll be easy to answer by then: which of them is best at attacking Trump, and is she/he likeable?

Blader

The closeness of the AHCA vote really emphasizes how important every House race is. If Ossoff had clinched 50 percent last month and Thompson had won his race, the bill would've lost by one vote instead of passing by two.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Any other reasons why I would or wouldn't like to see Sanders run in 2020 are ultimately dwarfed by the fact that, I'm sorry, he's too old. He's going to be what, 78 in 2020?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The closeness of the AHCA vote really emphasizes how important every House race is. If Ossoff had clinched 50 percent last month and Thompson had won his race, the bill would've lost by one vote instead of passing by two.

Maybe, maybe not. I think even the GOP who voted against it could have been whipped into a for vote if they needed it, they "got" to be the ones who opposed it for their records.

EDIT: This is not in any way to discount the importance of those races

Some of these votes might be announcing their retirement if they see the writing on the wall. That leaves them free to vote however is needed with a promise of a WH job or lobbying gig.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Any other reasons why I would or wouldn't like to see Sanders run in 2020 are ultimately dwarfed by the fact that, I'm sorry, he's too old. He's going to be what, 78 in 2020?

Yeah he has no shot. I like Sanders but I honestly think a young man/women will do a lot better for the party.

I'm kind of interested why the GOP isn't pushing on repealing Social Security.

I think a Social Security repeal bill would have the same approval ratings and electoral impact as the AHCA.

And the savings to the rich would obviously be much larger.

numble

It passed by 4, so it would've won by 1 if those races were won by Democrats.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

I think a Social Security repeal bill would have the same approval ratings and electoral impact as the AHCA.

lol

If the AHCA was regular political suicide, touching social security is throwing yourself into a meat grinder.

studyguy

People have a strong grasp of Social Security and its benefits. I'd wager it's easier to run a war against ACA/Obamacare's more obscure benefits than an attack against a clear cut benefit of social security.

If them losing big time in 2018 is a foregone conclusion, they don't really have anything to lose by going after SS.

People have a strong grasp of Social Security and its benefits. I'd wager it's easier to run a war against ACA/Obamacare's more obscure benefits than an attack against a clear cut benefit of social security.

The AHCA has a 17% approval rating and caused the biggest donation day to House Dems ever.

I don't think a Social Security repeal bill would have a lower approval rating or more extreme reaction than that.

The AHCA is less popular than TARP (TARP was good, but that's not the point), it's basically the least popular bill you can write.

You would've just had a couple GOP no's switch to yes in that case.

Or maybe they'd be too scared to even try. Either way, the vote was clearly planned to give cover to some moderate Rs (even though this strategy doesn't really work, see: ACA)

I've kind of lost all hope for Michigan at the state level. White Resentment has swallowed that state whole.

Oddly, this past election has turned my religious Western MI-dwelling sister suddenly political and leftward. Man, does she seem to hate Trump.

Her biggest issue prior was probably being anti-abortion, and Western MI is very red.

I don't know what switched in her, but I am glad for it!

I mean, I assume Corker and Fischer like being in the Senate. It can get much much worse for them.

We're breaking new ground here, where politicians have lost all sense of self preservation after getting a cranky phone call from Trump.

you can't change SS in reconciliation

I like how it's specifically written that way too. Social Security is singled out as being untouchable using reconciliation.

The AHCA has a 17% approval rating and caused the biggest donation day to House Dems ever.

I don't think a Social Security repeal bill would have a lower approval rating or more extreme reaction than that.

The AHCA is less popular than TARP (TARP was good, but that's not the point), it's basically the least popular bill you can write.

I think the difference is they think people would remember Social Security reform, whereas people will forget about AHCA once the Senate writes a new bill that goes nowhere and they can blame Dems for obstructing.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/332025-senate-gop-vows-big-changes-for-obamacare-bill

Senate Republicans plan to dramatically overhaul the House ObamaCare replacement bill that passed Thursday and are warning the process could take weeks.

The House bill, the American Health Care Act, has raised an array of concerns among Senate Republicans, chiefly among lawmakers from swing states who are opposed to the cap on ObamaCare's Medicaid expansion that would take effect in 2020.

GOP senators are also troubled by analyses that the legislation would significantly cut federal subsidies for people between the ages of 50 and 65, especially in rural areas such as Maine, Montana, Nebraska and North Carolina.

Senate Republican Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas) announced Thursday that there would no ”arbitrary deadlines" for the healthcare legislation, setting up an open-ended process.

”We're going through the issues methodically," he said. ”The House passing the bill gives us a little bit more of a sense of urgency, but it's going to take a while."

Senate Republicans say the bill in its current form cannot pass, and some of them privately question whether it will ever get a floor vote. There's also skepticism in the conference that they will be able to cobble together 51 votes behind any plan.

McConnell initially hoped to pass the House healthcare reform bill through the Senate quickly.

He first eyed the last week of March for the job, but the political calculations changed after Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) failed to muster enough votes for the legislation on March 24 and pulled it from the floor.

As it's become increasingly clear how much opposition there is within the Senate to the bill, McConnell has opted for a less ambitious timeline.

It seems like the job for the Senate has gotten much harder. They are waiting for the CBO report and I think waiting to see if the bill satisfy the rules. I think those will settle the fact if they start over. However, I believe if the CBO report is much, much worse they will scrape the bill altogether because otherwise they would have to do a lot more work to change it.

Trump's insistence to pass the bill might have complicated matters a little more. If the bill does not satisfy the Senate it might be a long while before it even get to his desk or the House version dies. The bill would have actually achieved nothing of value long term and painted the backs of his fellow Republicans for a short term PR victory.

woodland

WSJ article about Senate Committee asking for documents and interviews with 4 Trump associates RE: Russia. Page is just completely stupid.

Is this old? Said updated but wasn't sure if I've seen it.

Cook has started reevaluating House races in the wake of the AHCA (even if the Rep voted against it)

CO-6 now tossup. Kander Clone Jason Crow seems a pretty good candidate!

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
WSJ article about Senate Committee asking for documents and interviews with 4 Trump associates RE: Russia. Page is just completely stupid.

Is this old? Said updated but wasn't sure if I've seen it.

No I posted it a page ago. It happened this past week they are getting ready for interviews in the coming weeks.

jtb

Banned
How much Parlimentarian fuckery will we see from the GOP to get this thing passed through reconciliation? Or is it worth nuking the filibuster over?

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/332025-senate-gop-vows-big-changes-for-obamacare-bill

It seems like the job for the Senate has gotten much harder. They are waiting for the CBO report and I think waiting to see if the bill satisfy the rules. I think those will settle the fact if they start over. However, I believe if the CBO report is much, much worse they will scrape the bill altogether because otherwise they would have to do a lot more work to change it.

Looks like they don't really want to do it and were hoping it failed in the house. I'm still not really thinking this ever makes it out of the senate. This article doesn't seem particularly confident.

How much Parlimentarian fuckery will we see from the GOP to get this thing passed through reconciliation? Or is it worth nuking the filibuster over?

They're not going to bother with all of that for a bill with only a 17% approval rating. If making a bill that fits into reconciliation is too challenging, they'll just not do it, require 60, and blame the Democrats for the failure.

Slizeezyc

The Parli has been around through Dem/Rep majorities so seems like the fuckery could be minor. The filibuster question is probably impossible to answer. Based on the unpopularity of this legislation, I imagine that's suicide, and it's not really a guarantee you can get the 51 either way via reconciliation anyway right now.

kirblar

This thing is absolute poison in its current form and McConnell cares about his ass most of all, not Trump's.

They'll do their own thing once the CBO score comes out.

What's wrong with Spicy

lol@ The Trump administration taking credit for low unemployment.

lol @ celebrating cinco de mayo when you're deporting innocent illegal aliens. Fuck off.

Slizeezyc

Is the 17% approval just people saying they want good and affordable healthcare for all!? If so, it's silly why it's so hard to get something as it seems both sides (BOTH SIDES!) do think healthcare is a right. Shouldn't Republicans literally just do the opposite of this and BAM 83 percent approval!?

I just don't understand the calculus on this. I never have since this whole ordeal started months ago, and it continues to baffle me. It's like the math was we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. We made a show for years of repealing, and now the "show" isn't enough even though it had worked well to this point for them. But now let's put our name on something shitty, and hey if it doesn't pass, people will just forget and we can pretend it's not still not our fault at all. Like, maybe that works for Trump (and really only sort of), but that's been shown it does not work for random politician X who isn't always in the news.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm glad in the calming light of a new day we're all seeing that the Senate isn't using this garbage bill and that they'll be making their own. As everything has indicated for weeks and some of us were saying yesterday.

And at the end of the day I suspect the Freedom Caucus will fuck up their plans once again.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Reporter : something about defunding the drug office

Replacement spicer: i would not site polotico as a source

That's not a denial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom