• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That Ossoff poll is music to my ears.

Joeytj

Banned
Help me out, PoliGAF. I'm trying to do a takedown of Tulsi Gabbard for some Berner friends on facebook. Being academics, they're sticklers for "reputable sources" and rebuffed a post from Alternet.

How's this one? https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/11/tulsi-gabbard-is-not-who-you-think-she-is.html

This is from DailyKos, but it's very well researched with links from reliable Hawaiian journalist and written in advance of Gabbard's 2012 run to replace Mazie Hirono, back before there was any Bernie vs Hillary fights in Kos or rivalry like that between progressives. She's shady AF, and proof than many Bernie supporters didn't really care about Clinton's own past or policies as much as the fact that she was simply Bernie's rival.

I can't say that her conversion to progressivism hasn't been "genuine", but too many progressives give her too much benefit of a doubt for someone who, in 2004, was still saying this about Democrats supporting gay people:

When HONOLULU asked Gabbard in an e-mail to clarify his former relationship with Butler's Krishna group, Gabbard's daughter, state Rep. Tulsi Gabbard Tamayo, sent us an angry e-mail in response. "I smell a skunk," Tamayo wrote. "It's clear to me that you're acting as a conduit for The Honolulu Weekly and other homosexual extremist supporters of Ed Case."

It's one thing to be against gay-marriage à la Obama, Hillary or Bernie pre-2009, it's quite another to be one of the most ferocious opponents of gay marriage anr rights in Hawaii and the nation during the early 2000s.

If they're going to focus on current and up and coming Dems who want to try and gain in 2018 and 2020 I think that would frankly be a great idea. Now is the time to start making those demands. "These issues have to be a part of your 2018 platform or the black community of your district is not going to support you"
Basically they need to make every candidate say they support BLM or hang out at their own despair. They can really make themselves a force in 2020 that they weren't able to be last year.

It begins.
this inspired me to go poke around the map because I was curious about close districts and I was surprised that AL-2 was only won by about 9 points by the Republican incumbent. I kind of assumed most of the southern states outside the "trending purplish" category each had their one black district and the rest would be overwhelmingly Republican but that's surprisingly close for, well, a presidential candidate that should've been very exciting for Alabama Republicans and a district with a Cook PVI of R+16.

kirblar

this inspired me to go poke around the map because I was curious about close districts and I was surprised that AL-2 was only won by about 9 points by the Republican incumbent. I kind of assumed most of the southern states outside the "trending purplish" category each had their one black district and the rest would be overwhelmingly Republican but that's surprisingly close for, well, a presidential candidate that should've been very exciting for Alabama Republicans and a district with a Cook PVI of R+16.
Gerrymandering explicitly encourages them not to do this, and to instead spread and divvvy things up and lower their overall margins.

Gerrymandering explicitly encourages them not to do this, and to instead spread and divvvy things up and lower their overall margins.
I mean, not sure what this has to do with my post, which was just pointing out that there's a district in AL that might be winnable. Do you think I don't know how gerrymandering works?

Unless you're misunderstanding my post, but packing is part of gerrymandering. You pack as many of the voters you don't like into one district and then spread out whatever is left, which is why SC, MS, LA, etc all have one massively black majority district while the rest are all Republican.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What poll?

whyamihere said:
There it is. If true...

GA-6 poll (GBA Strategies)

https://perma.cc/WLZ3-B6SH

Ossoff (D): 50
Handel (R): 48

A full 88 percent of Ossoff voters say they are certain to vote for him, and Ossoff voters overwhelmingly say they are certain to vote in June. As mentioned above, Handel's voters are less solid or certain in their support. While weak Handel voters are unlikely to move to Ossoff in this highly polarized electorate, their determination to vote at all in the runoff election is lower than
that of Ossoff voters.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

@realDonaldTrump
Of course the Australians have better healthcare than we do --everybody does. ObamaCare is dead! But our healthcare will soon be great.

Martha Roby refused to back Trump after Access Hollywood and the person she beat in the primary ran as a Trump-loving Independent. It's not trending blue.

kirblar

I mean, not sure what this has to do with my post, which was just pointing out that there's a district in AL that might be winnable. Do you think I don't know how gerrymandering works?

Unless you're misunderstanding my post, but packing is part of gerrymandering. You pack as many of the voters you don't like into one district and then spread out whatever is left, which is why SC, MS, LA, etc all have one massively black majority district while the rest are all Republican.
I think your expectations of the margins in the "non-packed" districts is off is what I'm saying. Yours seem to be too high. (even in Alabama.)

studyguy

jtb

Banned

Gerrymandering requires both packing and distributing the remaining voters in efficient margins.

You need to ensure your own votes are efficiently allocated (minimizing wasted votes, to the extent that it wont' jeopardize your own political fortunes), while simultaneously guaranteeing your opponent's votes are poorly allocated. After all, even the most packed district is capped at, what, 800k? So often there's going to be a fair amount of leftover voters and it's often better to just distribute those among the remaining districts than give the Dems another packed district.

anyways, I think we're all on the same page. Don't know why I just typed all that out.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Martha Roby refused to back Trump after Access Hollywood and the person she beat in the primary ran as a Trump-loving Independent. It's not trending blue.
ohhhhh NYTimes wasn't showing write-ins as votes, causing me to mistakenly believe there wasn't a third party candidate.

studyguy

C_Fe6eoW0AEnEDf.jpg

giphy.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The house vote should be good for ossof. People are pissed. If he wins it will send a message to the house and moderates will block everything. That vote is critical.

jtb

Banned
if AHCA remains every bit as awful and odious and unpopular as it currently is, the "moderates" in the house will lose their job regardless

they will either fold or take a token "No" vote once Ryan whips the votes. I just don't see what political incentive they have to do otherwise

After that tweet, it's clear Sarah Huckabee was lying through her teeth earlier. Wish the press would focus on how WH spokespeople can't get their stories straight and keep lying to us. How can anyone trust these people?

And no one asked about her father's racist dumbass tweet earlier. Nor did they ever ask about the civil war comments. The press is still failing us.

Teggy

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/05/us/politics/senate-russia-trump-associates.html

WASHINGTON — The Senate Intelligence Committee, seeking to accelerate its broad investigation into Russian meddling in the presidential election, has asked a number of high-profile Trump campaign associates to hand over emails and other records of communications and dealings with Russian officials and businesspeople.

Among those who said they had received the requests were Roger J. Stone, an informal adviser to President Trump, and Carter Page, a businessman and former foreign policy adviser to the Trump campaign. Paul Manafort, the former campaign chairman, and Michael T. Flynn, the former national security adviser, were also sent letters, said the officials with knowledge of the investigation. Representatives for both men declined to comment.

Recipients to list all the meetings they had with Russian officials or business people from June 16, 2015, through Jan. 20, 2017. It set a May 9 deadline for a response.

Then, by May 19, the committee requested that the recipients hand over records of all communications — including emails, text messages and phone logs — with Russian officials or business people from the same period. It also asks them for information on any of their financial or real estate holdings related to Russia and to list any meetings they know of between other Trump campaign associates and Russians.

Why would any of these guys hand over incriminating emails instead of just deleting them?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
http://news.trust.org/item/20170505193112-iouja/

EXCLUSIVE-Saudi Arabia, U.S. in talks on billions in arms sales -U.S. sources

WASHINGTON, May 5 (Reuters) - Washington is working to push through contracts for tens of billions of dollars in arms sales to Saudi Arabia, some new, others in the pipeline, ahead of U.S. President Donald Trump's trip to the kingdom this month, people familiar with the talks told Reuters this week.

Teggy

Deleting emails to the point a group like the FBI, or NSA, can't access them is incredibly difficult.

If you delete them, they can still be recovered, and then that raises questions why you deleted them

They could have deleted them long ago - does anyone have enough cause to get a warrant to dig through their computers? I don't see how you just ask for this stuff. They have to get a warrant and surprise these guys. Roger Stone could drop his laptop in a garbage can on the way to get coffee and no one would know.

Hindl

They could have deleted them long ago - does anyone have enough cause to get a warrant to dig through their computers? I don't see how you just ask for this stuff. They have to get a warrant and surprise these guys. Roger Stone could drop his laptop in a garbage can on the way to get coffee and no one would know.

Emails don't just exist on a single laptop. And time doesn't matter, the FBI could find shit you deleted on an old hard drive from 2002 if they wanted. That's why when you recycle computer parts you drill a hole in the hard drive.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
And no one asked about her father's racist dumbass tweet earlier. Nor did they ever ask about the civil war comments. The press is still failing us.
In fairness, if you're part of the White House press corps, do you really waste your question on a tweet by some loser who doesn't even hold a government position? I would suggest not wasting time on asking the White House, even if it happens to be Huckabee's daughter taking questions, about that nonsense. You're not going to get anything of value out of it.

http://news.trust.org/item/20170505193112-iouja/

EXCLUSIVE-Saudi Arabia, U.S. in talks on billions in arms sales -U.S. sources

WASHINGTON, May 5 (Reuters) - Washington is working to push through contracts for tens of billions of dollars in arms sales to Saudi Arabia, some new, others in the pipeline, ahead of U.S. President Donald Trump's trip to the kingdom this month, people familiar with the talks told Reuters this week.

omg. its like a joke.

Teggy

Emails don't just exist on a single laptop. And time doesn't matter, the FBI could find shit you deleted on an old hard drive from 2002 if they wanted. That's why when you recycle computer parts you drill a hole in the hard drive.

Then why are they asking for the emails? What are the odds of them handing over incriminating info? Shouldn't they just use other methods to get them?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Then why are they asking for the emails? What are the odds of them handing over incriminating info? Shouldn't they just use other methods to get them?

Because you should ask first, especially since he claims he is cooperating. Then move on to stricter methods like subpoenas. Not to mention they were put on notice months ago not to destroy anything as it could be requested.

Deleting stuff after being told not to can be a crime in and of itself, obstruction. Also, not handing stuff over when you are supposed to.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I love how people think Carter Page hitting delete in his fucking gmail account is going to outmaneuver the FBI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom