• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what it looked like up close, too!

Seriously, Kirk barely won in the 2010 off-year wave, and while moderate, didn't really stand a chance. Duckworth just had to be non-Republican.

She kept her head down, and capitalized on Kirk's desperation to not be associated with Trump. Then he said Dumb Racist Thing and she didn't have to worry at all.

As I said last night, I think Kirk's fuckup was related to brain damage from his stroke, I don't buy that the Kirk of 2010 would have pulled that shit.

pigeon

Banned
As I said last night, I think Kirk's fuckup was related to brain damage from his stroke, I don't buy that the Kirk of 2010 would have pulled that shit.

No offense, but this is the most amazing defense of a white person who says an obviously racist thing I've ever seen. Literally you think it's more likely his brain malfunctioned than that he's racist.

jtb

Banned
I think whatever 2020 candidate runs should be able to prove that they can win an election.

I think this was one of Hillary's big liabilities as a candidate: she never had to fight to win an election. (2000 New York is still, well, New York)

So I like Gillibrand and Sherrod Brown. And, tbh, Tim "Damaged Centrist Neoliberal Goods" Kaine.

I think whatever 2020 candidate runs should be able to prove that they can win an election.

I think this was one of Hillary's big liabilities as a candidate: she never had to fight to win an election. (2000 New York is still, well, New York)

So I like Gillibrand and Sherrod Brown. And, tbh, Tim "Damaged Centrist Neoliberal Goods" Kaine.

Which race qualifies Gillibrand to you, her House race? Would Sanders be eligible under this filter?

The only actual front runners as of today are Sanders, Biden and Warren, in that order.

Age won't be an issue when Trump himself will be 75.

This conversation is two years too soon, though.

jtb

Banned
Kirk was fucked long before the debate. Does it really matter if he's actually racist or just accidentally racist?

No offense, but this is the most amazing defense of a white person who says an obviously racist thing I've ever seen. Literally you think it's more likely his brain malfunctioned than that he's racist.

Of course it was obviously racist. But, I'm a nurse, and I have to give the benefit of the doubt to a medical condition that directly damages the tissue of cognition. My mother is also a nurse, for like 40 years, and she thought she saw a big change in his public demeanor and the kind of shit he'd say.

Now, whether it was an expression of genuine preexisting racial contempt he'd kept bottled up, or his brain fucking up and not realizing tge implications of what he said, idk! His intent was immaterial, it was racist as fuck and he deserved to lose for it, I'm just saying, I think the reason we heard him say it was primarily the stroke.

alternade

The only actual front runners as of today are Sanders, Biden and Warren, in that order.

If the party is serious about bringing in new voters, they wont out up another old white person.

I'm putting my money behind a Harris/Castro ticket.

pigeon

Banned

Trump has dementia. Age is an issue. How quickly we give up on all our standards in order to nominate the three worst Dem candidates because they're white.

Blader

When the president is 75 and you run someone in their 40s or 50s against him, you can make age an issue.

Just as long as that someone isn't another Mondale.

If the party is serious about bringing in new voters, they wont out up another old white person.

I'm putting my money behind a Harris/Castro ticket.

Castro should spend time in Congress before ever running for president.

jtb

Banned
Which race qualifies Gillibrand to you, her House race? Would Sanders be eligible under this filter?

Yes.

I don't know much about Vermont's electoral history, though, if anything, his impressive primary challenge showed that he was clearly a talented politician. So sure, why not. I think Sanders' liabilities lie elsewhere.

pigeon

Banned
The problem isn't even age, it's that Boomers are fucking terrible and they should stop running the country for God's sake.

Last I'd heard, the Castros didn't know Spanish, which is... not a GREAT look for a Latino candidate from Texas? So maybe get them Rosetta Stone or at least some significant time in a federal seat before we start kicking them around as 2020 moms.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Next week is gonna be fucking good.

C_E3JFZXkAETnVS.jpg

Plus Yates next week and they are getting ready for Trumps crew.

jtb

Banned
Who keeps pushing the Castros as the Dems "young bench"? Good lord. If one of them wants to be Vice President, they should at least win, I don't know, a Senate seat or something.

Like is this actually coming from the party, or do they just have really good press offices?

alternade

When the president is 75 and you someone in their 40s or 50s against him, you can make age an issue.

Just as long as that someone isn't another Mondale.

Castro should spend time in Congress before ever running for president.

We just elected the former host of Celebrity Apprentice so.................

Ogodei

That list of Senators gives me no hope that Obamacare is going to survive for much longer.

A hard-right solution wouldn't get 50 votes in the Senate, though there are a few "moderates" in the group, namely Portman and Gardner.

Frankly Cruz and Lee would want something worse than what the House put out, so it does seem the case that they might be trying to emulate the Freedom Caucus with their bill, figuring its easier to put something out that the rabid dogs like and get the moderates to fall in line. Let Collins and Moore-Capito vote no and Pence swings it through the goal.

Though Cotton, of that group, isn't going to like anything that's too harsh on Medicaid.

Edit: Biden might run, Sanders and Warren probably won't. Sanders will find a surrogate willing to run in his name, like Brown (although i don't know if Brown himself wants to throw down for this).

Harris, Gillibrand, Cuomo, O'Malley, Klobuchar, Booker, Castro, and Landrieu are the ones to watch aside from Biden.

Who keeps pushing the Castros as the Dems "young bench"? Good lord. If one of them wants to be Vice President, they should at least win, I don't know, a Senate seat or something.

Like is this actually coming from the party, or do they just have really good press offices?
They're handsome, well connected, have decent liberal credentials, and they're Latino. One of them served in the Obama admin, the other is a popular mayor. They're also twins, so they have some novelty factor going for them. I can see the appeal, but they're too manufactured right now. They need either some actual experience (nobody who isn't an old rich white man is gonna get the same kinda slack people gave Trump) or a messaging makeover or else they'll end up like Rubio.

That dude from western NY who didn't read the bill is being ripped to shreds by the local news around here. He's not my rep or even really that close to my area, but it's making news and people are furious at him.

too bad, so sad. Next time don't vote to strip health care from 25 million without making sure it doesn't cut huge funding from your district.

pigeon

Banned
This conversation really does show that it's way too early to discuss this question. Literally every possible candidate is being mentioned.

This conversation really does show that it's way too early to discuss this question. Literally every possible candidate is being mentioned.

It's gonna be hilarious when we're having these exact same discussions in 2019 because all these people end up running.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So update on the former cop who wants unseat de Blasio.

Mayoral candidate Bo Dietl admits Fox News hired him to dig up dirt on women making sexual harassment claims

Federal investigators looking into sexual harassment settlements and alleged intimidation tactics at Fox News are eyeing mayoral hopeful Bo Dietl's work for the network, according to reports.

The former private investigator admitted Thursday to the Wall Street Journal that he was hired by Fox News to investigate several women who made sexual harassment allegations against the company and its former chairman Roger Ailes.

Dietl said he was paid to discredit former anchor Gretchen Carlson and others who claimed they were victims of harassment.

Fox gave Carlson $20 million to settle her claims last year — leading to Ailes' ouster.

Last month, a lawsuit alleged Dietl ”illegally secured journalists' phone records and credit reports" at the behest of Fox News executives.

chadskin

Wide-ranging interview with John Podesta: http://www.spiegel.de/international...ohn-podesta-on-president-trump-a-1146317.html
SPIEGEL: You make it sound as though lots of people were responsible for Clinton's defeat -- the director of the FBI, the Russians -- and just not you. Hillary Clinton said similar things a few days ago in an interview with CNN. What mistakes did you make?

Podesta: No question: We made mistakes. We probably under-resourced Wisconsin. We were confident we would win there. We had a fairly full field team there, way more people than Obama did. But we didn't advertise there. We thought it wasn't necessary. Trump had no presence in the state, so we thought we didn't need any. But the National Rifle Association advertised heavily there. We underestimated that.

SPIEGEL: That can't be the only mistake.

Podesta: We were unable to get out of the loop that Trump created and that the media created of outrageous statement reaction, new outrageous statement counterreaction. That left an opening for a lot of people to think that this conversation really wasn't about them. And the media was thankful for a reality TV candidate. Most of the media turned into accomplices of Donald Trump.

SPIEGEL: There was another surprisingly successful Democratic Party contender: 75-year-old Bernie Sanders. Did he have a chance of winning the election?

Podesta: We took him seriously very early. There's the theory that he could have gotten some of these angry white working-class voters that went to Trump that Clinton couldn't get, and particularly the Obama Trump voters. That's true. He probably could have gotten a few of them. But not enough. We talked to him, early on. We wanted him to be part of our campaign. After the New York primary, which was in mid-April, after Super Tuesday, which was in early March, it was clear that he couldn't catch us. But he wanted to keep going. It was his decision.

Blader

We just elected the former host of Celebrity Apprentice so.................

This is part of the me-tooism I was talking about earlier. Just because they nominated a reality TV host doesn't mean we should counter with a guy from SNL. Just because they nominated a businessman with no experience doesn't mean we should counter with Mark Zuckerberg.

I know Franken's got more chops by now than just being on SNL, and no one is making a serious pro-Zuckerberg argument anyway, but the precedent Trump set is not a precedent I want this party to follow. I don't want Oprah, I don't want Tom Hanks, I don't want Bob Iger. I want a smart, cunning, well-spoken, young politician with some meaningful experience. Mayor of San Antonio is a good first step to a congressional or senate run; it is not, to me, a good first step to the presidency. And absolutely no one will care that Castro was HUD secretary either.

Last I'd heard, the Castros didn't know Spanish, which is... not a GREAT look for a Latino candidate from Texas? So maybe get them Rosetta Stone or at least some significant time in a federal seat before we start kicking them around as 2020 moms.

He was on Axelrod's podcast a few weeks back and this came up. He understands Spanish and is an okay speaker, but is not fluent. He said his mother discouraged them from speaking Spanish at home, which, who knew, could end up being a liability for him.

A hard-right solution wouldn't get 50 votes in the Senate, though there are a few "moderates" in the group, namely Portman and Gardner.

Frankly Cruz and Lee would want something worse than what the House put out, so it does seem the case that they might be trying to emulate the Freedom Caucus with their bill, figuring its easier to put something out that the rabid dogs like and get the moderates to fall in line. Let Collins and Moore-Capito vote no and Pence swings it through the goal.

Murkowski is probably a more likely no vote than Moore-Capito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom