• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any interesting AHCA tidbits today?

It's going to be at least a few weeks before the senate is even close to a final plan, if it ever even gets that far.

They have to craft this carefully to balance the requirements of reconciliation with pleasing the Freedom Caucus in both the House and Senate. They also have to grapple with one disastrous CBO report on the House bill hitting eventually, along with another potentially disastrous CBO report of the final Senate bill.

It's going to be awhile (if it even happens)

Who's the worst female senator that they'll throw onto this thing?

@ElizLanders

NEW: sr White House official tells me they are adding women to the 13- person, all-male working group in Senate on healthcare bill-- @cnn

studyguy

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/861997810111131648
This is an interesting answer coming from a former U.S. attorney general about Russian interference in our election
C_ZuRo-W0AUD3qZ.jpg:large
I forgot Ashcroft existed. Thanks for the hot take though...?

Diablos

It's passing.

It's going to be at least a few weeks before the senate is even close to a final plan, if it ever even gets that far.

They have to craft this carefully to balance the requirements of reconciliation with pleasing the Freedom Caucus in both the House and Senate. They also have to grapple with one disastrous CBO report on the House bill hitting eventually, along with another potentially disastrous CBO report of the final Senate bill.

It's going to be awhile (if it even happens)
Love you guys

Lol.
I give it 50/50
Maybe 60/40?

Nice that women are being added to the group.

Labrador's running for governor of Idaho. I hope Democrats put up a decent candidate, here and in his district.
We did win it in 2008 but the Democrat was totally worthless and voted against every meaningful Obama bill at the time before losing in 2010. He even got endorsed by the Tea Party.

I'll be out of here by then, though, hopefully. I might register as a Republican to try and keep him from being able to Brownback this place.

We did win it in 2008 but the Democrat was totally worthless and voted against every meaningful Obama bill at the time before losing in 2010. He even got endorsed by the Tea Party.

I'll be out of here by then, though, hopefully. I might register as a Republican to try and keep him from being able to Brownback this place.
To be fair, Minnick did reject that endorsement.

If he wants to run again, sure, not like we could do any worse.

Looks like Gretchen Whitmer will be the Dem candidate for governor in Michigan.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...gest-5-9?t=1494352071975#update-1494352071000

MI-Gov: On Tuesday, Democratic Rep. Dan Kildee announced that he would stay in the House rather than run for governor next year. Kildee’s decision likely leaves ex-state Senate Minority Leader Gretchen Whitmer, who is close to labor groups, as the Democratic primary frontrunner. However, Whitmer faces a challenge from Abdul El-Sayed, the former director of Detroit's health department. Abdul El-Sayed, who would be America’s first Muslim governor, is an untested candidate, but he does have an interesting profile and may be able to gain some traction if he can get his name out. A third notable Democrat, businessman Shri Thanedar, filed a few weeks ago, but has yet to announce he’s in.

Do they even have a chance to do so? The seats up for reelection in 2018 are heavily gerrymandered and quite safe, no?

Gerrymandering actually makes wave elections easier since you create a bunch of barely winnable districts instead of dominant ones.
gerrymandering-1024x760.png

Notice in this picture how close the margins are in either of the unfair district maps. A wave ends up tipping every district the other way.

To be fair, Minnick did reject that endorsement.

If he wants to run again, sure, not like we could do any worse.
I mean, sure, a pile of actual labrador shit would be better than Labrador. I just don't have great expectations for my own district.

Looks like Gretchen Whitmer will be the Dem candidate for governor in Michigan.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...gest-5-9?t=1494352071975#update-1494352071000
Nice! El-Sayed doesn't seem like he'd be a bad candidate either but I really like Whitmer.

oof.

http://bluevirginia.us/2017/05/northam-healthcare-privilege-not-right

A bombshell dropped today in the Virginia Governor Election courtesy of a six-year-old debate question asked of Ralph Northam during his 2011 State Senate reelection campaign against Republican Ben Loyola. The question: “Do you believe that health care is a right or a privilege?” To which, as per the video below, Northam responds:

I believe it’s a privilege.

And let me clarify that.

If people can get up in the morning and go to work like I can, then it needs to be a privilege. They need to work for their health insurance, for their benefits.

If they’re disabled, I will take the shirt off my back to help them.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBSbHi-MFXU

Oh former Governor and Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne is going to be at my university on Friday, which isn't too surprising since he's given enough money to have his name show up a few places. I get extra credit in one of my classes to go meet him, though, so I'll probably have to not badger him about hating the environment.

edit: this news is especially timely with Perriello's new ad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kad9lGbc_xI

Teggy

It's certainly super suspicious, but has anyone come up with a good explanation for exactly why he's doing this?

I don't remember the exact details, but there are limits on how you are allowed to spend money to respond to a political candidate vs. one in office. I'll try to dig up something about it.

Here:

Filed on January 20th, 2017, the letter states that, while not an official announcement for reelection, Donald Trump has filed an FEC Form 2 in order to "ensure compliance with the Federal Election Campaign Act." This is an unprecedented, although legal, move for the President to make. Barack Obama did not file for his 2012 re-election bid until April 2011. Having filed (even if not formally announcing a bid) as a candidate, Trump would be able to coordinate with PACs and other similar organizations.

More importantly, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations would no longer be able to engage in "political speech" which could theoretically affect the results of the 2020 U.S. Presidential Election without running the risk of losing their nonprofit status. The move effectively bars interest groups from creating nonprofits which they could funnel money into for the purposes of opposing Trump's initiatives. This will likely create chaos for political opponents of Trump such as George Soros, who has sunk significant amounts of money into various nonprofit groups with the intent of opposing Trump's government. How 501(c)(3) organizations will comply with the FEC's regulations when participating an actions which qualify as political speech remains to be seen.

Slacker

This is why Tom Perriello is a much better option!

I think about anyone is a better option than someone who calls himself a Democrat but voted for George Dubya TWICE. I can almost forgive the first time. Almost. But in 2004 we knew what a disaster we had on our hands. That is a vote that cannot be explained.

teiresias

Whoops, yes indeed. Surprising statement from a Democrat but I suppose the Republicans can't get every stupid person on their side.

How is this surprising in the least this statement is from 2011 right after Democrats had just been routed in Congress over the Obamacare debate but please let's clutch our pearls over what someone said as campaign messaging in that political climate compared to now.

studyguy

https://twitter.com/bencjacobs/status/862007135089152001
Ben Jacobs (@Bencjacobs)
Spicer says Trump is not making an announcement about Paris climate agreement until after G7 meeting

So basically whoever speaks to Trump last decides his policy for this.

https://twitter.com/mikememoli/status/862007641966600192
Mike Memoli (@mikememoli)
"The president does not want to smear a good man" -- @PressSec, on POTUS views of Gen. Flynn

Trump made the "right decision" hiring Flynn and despite the "heads up" they got from Yates, Spicer is currently defending the fuck out of keeping Flynn on.

Any interesting AHCA tidbits today?

Paul Ryan stated it could take a month or so to pass in the Senate, but I also saw that it could take more-so. The Senate is awaiting for the CBO report to pass. I guess it depends on how much worse it is. They might have to change to the point the Freedom Caucus might not accept it.

How is this surprising in the least this statement is from 2011 right after Democrats had just been routed in Congress over the Obamacare debate but please let's clutch our pearls over what someone said as campaign messaging in that political climate compared to now.

I'd prefer not to have a person who voted for Bush twice who believes that healthcare is a privilege who once floated switching parties as governor of a state three times won by Democrats.

Guess who stood by his vote for the ACA?

I'm all for solidifying the ACA if it stands but if the GOP does manage to destroy it then I think single payer is the only place to go.

It needs to be good enough for every person to feel the effects of it.

kirblar

The cult of associating healthcare with employment is real.
I'm all for solidifying the ACA if it stands but if the GOP does manage to destroy it then I think single payer is the only place to go.

It needs to be good enough for every person to feel the effects of it.
The situation in the UK makes me doubt the effectiveness of single-payer on reduction of influence from GOP destruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom