• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like fictional presidents in comedies are going to have to behave like Terrence and Phillip from here on out if they want to remain outrageous with respect to reality. Trump has blown the doors wide open on satirical president characters.

teiresias

I'd prefer not to have a person who voted for Bush twice who believes that healthcare is a privilege who once floated switching parties as governor of a state three times won by Democrats.

Guess who stood by his vote for the ACA?

I mean I agree Tom Periello is the much better option here, but at the end of the day this is VA and I'm going to vote for the Dem regardless. I just get tired of people being willfully ignorant about political realities a decade ago or even back in the 90s and 80s when examining political rhetoric.

I mean, Sanders is still not a Democrat. Time to burn him at the stake.

I feel like fictional presidents in comedies are going to have to behave like Terrence and Phillip from here on out if they want to remain outrageous with respect to reality. Trump has blown the doors wide open on satirical president characters.

The most mind bending thing for me recently was that the Trump show on Comedy Central had the impersonator go "I'm President! Can you believe it? Can you believe I'm President??" and then Trump said it verbatim the next week!

How can you possibly one up someone who will do the worst thing you can possibly think of every single time?

Blader

Perriello is actually a good candidate, and not just a better alternative to Northam.

She's a good candidate.

I really hope we do well in gubernatorial races this year and next. Just from Clinton states we could go from 6 Dem trifectas to 18 if we swept everything.

Gubernatorial races are our best pickup opps next year, compared to House and Senate races. And there are a ton of them. The upside to the GOP having a majority of governorships? Lots of GOP governors exiting all at once.

I mean I agree Tom Periello is the much better option here, but at the end of the day this is VA and I'm going to vote for the Dem regardless. I just get tired of people being willfully ignorant about political realities a decade ago or even back in the 90s and 80s when examining political rhetoric.

I mean, Sanders is still not a Democrat. Time to burn him at the stake.

But again -- the political realities also existed when Perriello stood by his vote for the ACA and barely lost. I'm more willing to support someone with that conviction on the necessity of healthcare versus, you know, this.

I also don't like Sanders isn't a Democrat! I also didn't vote for him.

The most mind bending thing for me recently was that the Trump show on Comedy Central had the impersonator go "I'm President! Can you believe it? Can you believe I'm President??" and then Trump said it verbatim the next week!

How can you possibly one up someone who will do the worst thing you can possibly think of every single time?
Trump killed it and then grabbed it by the pussy.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I disagree.

Letting Nixon go, letting Bush go—I think those are mistakes. We can talk about the political optics, or we can understand that perhaps it is unpopular but it is the right thing to do to treat the president as equal to other citizens. That in the eyes of the law, even the president has to be accountable.

There's a saying for that in Chinese that says even son of heaven should be punished if he committed a crime.

I'm in your camp as well. Letting it go without repercussions is a significant mistake that only allows it to happen again. At least targeting his family for fraud, racketeering and so forth. He might have immunity but not family.

kirblar

I was going to rewrite that to be less mean, but that's good to hear.
I mean, I've been railing against the uniquely American and stupid view that employment and health care for eons now. I'm not sure why you would have expected otherwise. "People who can work should work" is fine, "People who don't work shouldn't get health care" is not, but our stupid system has so entrenched the link between the two. I don't think Northam's attitude is particularly surprising or unique among Ds or Rs unfortunately, and it's pretty indicative of the gigantic issues we have w/ selling things like the ACA to the general public.

At a state level, the big thing I need assurances from the candidates on is that they'll continue to push for the Medicaid expansion (which McAulliffe tried and failed to backdoor), and hopefully we'll have more leverage after the election in November. Beyond that, I don't really have any further expectations on that front, since it's primarily a federal issue.

tbm24

I think the White House is becoming lazy if their main way to smear Sally Yates is to just say she's a democrat so of course she's not Trustworthy.

that feel when you're running in the Democratic primary and your opponent is a Republican

hotseat-tom-perriello.jpg

I'm surprised Obama hasn't explicitly endorsed Perriello since coming off vacation.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'd prefer not to have a person who voted for Bush twice who believes that healthcare is a privilege who once floated switching parties as governor of a state three times won by Democrats.

Guess who stood by his vote for the ACA?

Damn, Northam voted for Bush twice? Did at least he say if he voted for Obama twice?

I see he's a self described "fiscal conservative/social liberal" too.

I'm glad the obama camp intervened here by putting Perillo up. I would ask what Kaine, McAuliffe, and Warner were thinking propping up Northam, but it's really not a surprise from those guys.

dramatis

It Was Cultural Anxiety That Drove White, Working-Class Voters to Trump

The Atlantic did a study.
In the wake of Trump’s surprise win, some journalists, scholars, and political strategists argued that economic anxiety drove these Americans to Trump. But new analysis of post-election survey data conducted by the Public Religion Research Institute and The Atlantic found something different: Evidence suggests financially troubled voters in the white working class were more likely to prefer Clinton over Trump. Besides partisan affiliation, it was cultural anxiety—feeling like a stranger in America, supporting the deportation of immigrants, and hesitating about educational investment—that best predicted support for Trump.

This data adds to the public’s mosaic-like understanding of the 2016 election. It suggests Trump’s most powerful message, at least among some Americans, was about defending the country’s putative culture. Because this message seems to have resonated so deeply with voters, Trump’s policies, speeches, and eventual reelection may depend on their perception of how well he fulfills it.
Partisan identification strongly predicted how white, working-class people would vote. Self-described Republicans were 11 times more likely than their non-Republican peers to choose Trump. Researchers found that partisanship is most pronounced among the young: Among white working-class Americans under 30, 57 percent identified as Republican or Republican-leaning, compared to 29 percent who identified as Democratic or Democratic-leaning. By comparison, only slightly more than half of seniors 65 and over were Republicans or Republican-leaning, compared to over one-third who were Democrats or Democratic-leaning.
Controlling for other demographic variables, three factors stood out as strong independent predictors of how white working-class people would vote. The first was anxiety about cultural change. Sixty-eight percent of white working-class voters said the American way of life needs to be protected from foreign influence. And nearly half agreed with the statement, “things have changed so much that I often feel like a stranger in my own country.” Together, these variables were strong indictors of support for Trump: 79 percent of white working-class voters who had these anxieties chose Trump, while only 43 percent of white working-class voters who did not share one or both of these fears cast their vote the same way.
While the analysis pointed to some interesting patterns around economic status, more research is needed to confirm them. The findings contrast with much of the coverage of the election: People who said their finances are only in fair or poor shape were nearly twice as likely to support Clinton compared to those who feel more economically secure.

Although demographic factors like gender, age, geographic region, and religion weren’t statistically significant predictors of who voted for Trump, some of the other information gathered in the survey offers a portrait of how white working-class Americans feel about their status in the world. Nearly two-thirds of the white working class say American culture has gotten worse since the 1950s. Sixty-eight percent say the U.S. is in danger of losing its identity, and 62 percent say America’s growing number of immigrants threaten the country’s culture. More than half say discrimination against whites has become just as problematic as discrimination against minorities.

Blader

If Labrador can be elected governor after telling his constituents that nobody dies from a lack of access to healthcare, then Idaho deserves him.

My Bernie supporting facebook friends are already trying to hype up a primary challenger for Nancy Pelosi. Good fucking luck.

Its weird how when Obama and Clinton are out of the picture they obsess over Pelosi.

They definitely don't deserve him but the GOP has such a stronghold it seems unfathomable he'd lose.
he can be stopped in the primary hopefully. I might register as a Republican so I can vote against him there, hopefully I'll be out of the state by the actual election though

never thought I'd say this but come on Brad Little

kirblar

My Bernie supporting facebook friends are already trying to hype up a primary challenger for Nancy Pelosi. Good fucking luck.

Its weird how when Obama and Clinton are out of the picture they obsess over Pelosi.
Weird how they just start attacking the next-most high-profile woman in the party!

Think about how much more good that energy and money could have been spent on a vulnerable Republican race than a Democrat who is going to win with over 70% of the vote (maybe even more) and be re-elected without even breaking a sweat.

The hell did Pelosi do?

Be a successful woman.

Yeah because she wields tons of power over the party. Seems like a smart plan if it works imo.

It's a shame with these press briefings, the press aren't asking hard questions about Michael Flynn. It was the first question and that was it. No one is asking why Trump allowed Flynn to sit in highly classified meetings after finding out he was compromised...

EDIT: Now someone asked it.

The hell did Pelosi do?

Said single payer shouldn't be in the Dems's 2018 platform, or like, something to run on in 2018 I guess? I don't think there is a 2018 platform, but it's what she was asked about. I assume the person who asked meant next platform.

kirblar

Yeah because she wields tons of power over the party. Seems like a smart plan if it works imo.
It's not a smart plan when you take the single most capable politician out of their job because she's a woman.

They blame her for thing not happening (because they are ignorant and sexist) while meanwhile she got a public option passed through the house and recently took Paul Ryan to the cleaners in the CR negotiations.
Said single payer shouldn't be in the Dems's 2018 platform, or like, something to run on in 2018 I guess? I don't think there is a 2018 platform, but it's what she was asked about. I assume the person who asked meant next platform.
She said in the WaPo interview that she supports it but that there aren't enough votes for it to pass the house. And of course, acknowledging reality makes people mad when they don't like what reality says.

Lol..... Spicer's defense is that, "we've moved on from it..." so they won't answer anymore questions about Flynn.

If only Democrats controlled at least one chamber in Congress...

Yes. It's unfathomable she's still the D leader in the house considering what's happened in the last 8 years.

Getting rid of competent party leaders and replacing them with random carpet bagging single issue nobodies is a one way ticket to Tea Party crazy town.

How about let's put our energy and money towards helping Democrats take vulnerable GOP seats and not kick out freaking Nancy Pelosi for doing nothing in particular

Sexist: Pelosi is a bad leader because she's a chick whoa

Also sexist I guess: I don't like the direction Pelosi is leading the party so I want her gone

It's not a smart plan when you take the single most capable politician out of their job because she's a woman.

They blame her for thing not happening (because they are ignorant and sexist) while meanwhile she got a public option passed through the house and recently took Paul Ryan to the cleaners in the CR negotiations.

She said in the WaPo interview that she supports it but that there aren't enough votes for it to pass the house. And of course, acknowledging reality makes people mad when they don't like what reality says.

Specifically it was this:

@samknight1
.@EvanMcS asks @NancyPelosi if single payer should be a Democratic Party platform in 2018.

"No," she says, without missing a beat

It's a shame with these press briefings, the press aren't asking hard questions about Michael Flynn. It was the first question and that was it. No one is asking why Trump allowed Flynn to sit in highly classified meetings after finding out he was compromised...

EDIT: Now someone asked it.

What is the next step for the FBI concerning Flynn? He wanted an immunity deal, but it seemed they didn't buy it. Now after Yates' testimony what is the next step. It seemed her testimony and all this new revelations like Obama personally warned Trump was more about the administration than Flynn.

Blader

Yes. It's unfathomable she's still the D leader in the house considering what's happened in the last 8 years.

She's an incredible fundraiser, a tough-as-nails legislator, and whips her caucus even better than Reid or Schumer whip theirs (or Ryan, for that matter).

Pelosi can't be in that job forever, and if we can find an even better minority leader or speaker, then of course I'm all for that. But it seems to me a lot of people who want Pelosi gone want her gone because she's old or because they misunderstand what her job is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom