• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not for primarying Pelosi but it's clear after the AHCA debacle that the Tea Party has completely taken over the House and its wishes are Paul Ryan's command. A similar move from the left to threaten party leadership obviously has a similar outcome in mind.

Holmes

TBH maybe single payer isn't best to run on in 2018 but 2020 is a different story.

Also Northam isn't a Republican lol. He's as much of a Republican as Elizabeth Warren is. Tea!

Though his statement on health care was disappointing.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
She's an incredible fundraiser, a tough-as-nails legislator, and whips her caucus even better than Reid or Schumer whip theirs (or Ryan, for that matter).

Pelosi can't be in that job forever, and if we can find an even better minority leader or speaker, then of course I'm all for that. But it seems to me a lot of people who want Pelosi gone want her gone because she's old or because they misunderstand what her job is.

I wonder who the next Pelosi will be...
Can anyone come close to filling her position?

Blader

There are plenty of repugnant House Republicans in California districts (e.g. Devin Nunes, Darell Issa) who are more deserving targets of Dem activism next year than Nancy Pelosi, the woman who brought you a cap-and-trade bill and a healthcare bill with a public option.

Pelosi is not in charge of recruiting candidates or organizing campaigns. That's the DNC and DCCC. Pelosi's job is to get votes on bills.

Pelosi's job

- Fundraise, which she is a pro at, being the #1 biggest Democrat fundraiser in Congress, pretty much entirely because she needs no funding at all to win re-election

- Whip up the Democrats to vote or not vote, and plan strategic votes so vulnerable Democrats don't have to vote for thing that will lose them elections

- Troll Paul Ryan

Not Pelosi's job

- Determine what is the overall Democrat platform

- Directly help get Democrats elected, she just prevents them from voting themselves out of a seat and also fundraises for them because she doesn't need campaign money.

- Lead the Democrats in any way outside of the House

Wow the hatchet job that Jacobin did on Gillibrand is REALLY bad. lol. Wow.
None of that seems so unfair to me?

I didn't think "Gillibrand has changed her positions frequently and is very chummy with Wall Street" was a controversial stance to take. I guess it might be unfair to attack her over Israel because every American politician sucks on that?

Anybody trying to primary Nancy Pelosi because they think that she's somehow responsible for Dems electoral woes is exposing themselves as a know-nothing, full stop. She leads the Democratic caucus in the House, and she's EXTREMELY good at that, but that's ALL she does. Trying to make a statement about how the party is run by running against her is just... dumb.

And honestly it sorta says all you need to know about the self-identified Bernie wing? I don't mean progressives who supported Sanders or anything like that, I mean the diehard cult of personality types who're trying to seize the progressive label for themselves. TYT, Goodman, this new batch of clowns agitating against Pelosi of all people. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

pigeon

Banned
I don't really have a problem with people primarying Pelosi. I just don't think they'll win. I suspect Pelosi is extremely popular in her district.

But it would be nice if people who said she was bad could give even one actual reason for thinking that!

studyguy

What would you arguably change regarding Pelosi anyway. It's not like she whips votes on a whim. Whatever comes from the top down of the DNC to her in the house, she'll inevitably end up following that lead, it's not like she's going to upend a house vote for no reason against the interests of the DNC.

She's been massively effective at whipping votes recently, what specifically do you want from a change? If you swap out Pelosi, the freshman representative isn't exactly going to overtake her role as minority leader whip anyhow.

Man some lefties sure love the same targets and talking points of right wingers
At some point you fight so hard against the establishment you seem to forget that you have... like, actual goals.

Plus, in the US at least, the right wing media narrative is really hard to escape from. Even if you're left leaning. So if you're the kind of person to look for a target and you're not terribly picky, it's easy to be influenced against the right's enemies (if for a different core reason).

kirblar

What would you arguably change regarding Pelosi anyway. It's not like she whips votes on a whim. Whatever comes from the top down of the DNC to her in the house, she'll inevitably end up following that lead, it's not like she's going to upend a house vote for no reason against the interests of the DNC.
WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU THINK THE DNC DOES?!?!?!?!

I'm not for primary challenging pelosi or forcing her out but she is getting older and she'll need to be replaced eventually. I think her current role and where we are at now would be a good time to start to try and elevate someone else. She's good at her job but I think it would also be a good time for the party to try and get younger and have someone be elevated and get some experience

Like assuming we do achieve what we want, win the house in 2018 and the presidency in 2020. Is she really going to stay on as house leader through 2022? She'll be 82 by then. Not saying it's impossible but I don't think we can keep relying on the same people forever

kirblar

I'm not for primary challenging pelosi or forcing her out but she is getting older and she'll need to be replaced eventually. I think her current role and where we are at now would be a good time to start to try and elevate someone else. She's good at her job but I think it would also be a good time for the party to try and get younger and have someone be elevated and get some experience

Like assuming we do achieve what we want, win the house in 2018 and the presidency in 2020. Is she really going to stay on as house leader through 2022? She'll be 82 by then. Not saying it's impossible but I don't think we can keep relying on the same people forever
The issue is that the last second in command just came at the queen and missed. Agreed that age is a concern, simply due to time not being on her side, but whoever takes that position will have large, difficult shoes to fill.

studyguy

WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU THINK THE DNC DOES?!?!?!?!

The dems in the house aren't going to whip votes without checking the rest of the god damn party. I mean come on look at what's going on with the republicans in the house and senate now trying to come together on the healthcare vote along with the greater arms of the RNC working under them as well to push narratives. People aren't walking off metaphorical cliffs in their careers because they really buy into the AHCA, the greater consensus is going to win out within each party.

Again I ask what people expect booting out the minority leader of the house will accomplish other than kneecapping dems in the house.

It's... broadly accurate?
Yeah, especially since it's mostly just a bunch of links to things she's done that the left doesn't like I don't see why it's so bad.

This is where I"m at.

Here is article on the primary challenger they were sharing and applauding.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...ot-a-challenger-and-1493224950-htmlstory.html

Nancy Pelosi just got a challenger and he's a 'pretty hard-core' Bernie Sanders supporter

San Francisco attorney Stephen R. Jaffe is a lifelong Democrat and he intends to do what no Democrat has been able to do so far: make it to a runoff election against House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.

Jaffe, 71, is an employment attorney who became a volunteer for the Bernie Sanders presidential campaign last year.

"I was a pretty hard-core Bernie supporter," said Jaffe, who gave money to the campaign and volunteered during the Nevada caucuses. He was one of two attorneys who filed for an injunction on behalf of Sanders supporters in the California primary, requesting "re-votes" and an extension of the voter registration deadline. (The request was denied.)

Jaffe said he was "devastated" by Sanders' loss to Hillary Clinton in the primary season and that Sanders, in part, inspired him to run. He says he supports single-payer healthcare and criticized Pelosi for raising money from corporations and special interests.

Pelosi, the highest-ranking Democrat in the House, has never faced a serious challenger on the left in her liberal San Francisco district. Preston Picus, another Sanders supporter who ran as a no-party-preference candidate, came the closest when he received 19% of the vote in November, according to the California Target Book.

The issue is that the last second in command just came at the queen and missed. Agreed that age is a concern, simply due to time not being on her side, but whoever takes that position will have large, difficult shoes to fill.
I don't disagree, but like let's say due to age pelosi retires in 2020; that job will be even harder to fill should we ( incredibly optimistic assumption) have the house and presidency and then need to whip votes to get major legislation through.

That'll be a much more difficult ask for someone to do then with no experience than what we'd be asking for them to do now

Setting up a clear line of succession is a pretty dramatically different animal than trying to Cantor her.

Not that that's a major concern apparently. 19% looool

Tarydax

Banned

Don't you get it? Everything bad that's ever happened to the Democratic Party over the past 8 years is Nancy Pelosi's fault even though she's not the president or the head of the DNC!

http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...ot-a-challenger-and-1493224950-htmlstory.html

Another Bernie extremist, huh? Here we go again!

Edit: Oh ffs, he's one of the guys involved in the Nevada fiasco? He's gonna claim the whole thing is rigged when Pelosi stomps him into the ground.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

For fucks sake, 71 years old?
Can't you bernie-stans find someone who might not need to retire in 8 years?

Edit: Oh ffs, he's one of the guys involved in the Nevada fiasco? He's gonna claim the whole thing is rigged when Pelosi stomps him into the ground.

*sigh*, it gets even better.

kirblar

The dems in the house aren't going to whip votes without checking the rest of the god damn party. I mean come on look at what's going on with the republicans in the house and senate now trying to come together on the healthcare vote along with the greater arms of the RNC working under them as well to push narratives. People aren't walking off metaphorical cliffs in their careers because they really buy into the AHCA, the greater consensus is going to win out within each party.

Again I ask what people expect booting out the minority leader of the house will accomplish other than kneecapping dems in the house.
I agree that booting Pelosi is stupid. I disagree that she is beholden to invisible masters at the "DNC" (who change all the time!) and not her house caucus.

lol the fact that the left hates Pelosi just makes me think the party can't run a woman for president in the foreseeable future and win

Too many are willing to believe right wing smear campaigns.. I'm sure Warren or Gillibrand would be next.

The far left sure does own a lot of these
latest

This is a super charitable interpretation of motives and probably grants too much credence to their strategic thinking.
I mean they're clear about it though?

They want single payer, if the most prominent elected Democrat loses a primary for inadequately supporting single payer, they can push the rest of the leadership into supporting single payer because they'd be afraid of more primaries. They'd probably go after Schumer too but he literally just got reelected.

This is just what the Tea Party did and as we just saw with the AHCA where the logic was that "moderates" wouldn't support the Freedom Caucus approved bill but they did because the Freedom Caucus has control of the Republican leadership.

So let's get rid of competent people and prop up Tim Canovas and call it victory?
I just said I don't support primarying Pelosi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom