• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Can you explain what libertarianism is to me?"
BIPtBM6.gif

pigeon

Banned
Christie thing seems like a rumor.

Interesting: A few GOP Senators now privately discussing what they can do, beyond mere statements. Eg, withhold votes for Trump nominees...

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/862400683273846784

"Discussing."

Three GOP senators can stop all Senate business entirely until they get what they want.

They obviously know this. There's a reason McCain, Graham and Collins killed the methane CRA today (although Collins may have just actually liked the regulation).

There's nothing to discuss. It's just a question of how long they are willing to collaborate with evil.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
John Podesta's account was phished in March.

And I'm still missing what the plan of this whole conspiracy was supposed to be. It still looks like the Underpants Gnomes business plan to me.

1. Release boring e-mails.
2. ???
3. Putin becomes President.
You honestly don't see how mass email dumps through Wikileaks was a calculated attempt to deligitemize the Clinton campaign, which was already hurting from an email scandal? Most people probably couldn't tell you the difference between Clintons email server, the dnc emails, and podesta's emails. Hell I'd argue that was the point of mass releases who cares what's in it it's a "bad look".

Or you "benji-don't-see" how

Edit: hell trump himself appeared to not know the difference when he asked Russia to "find 30,000 missing emails"

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
If you're waiting for elected Republicans to 'do the right thing' you will always be disappointed. That ship sailed long ago. What's left is public pressure, media pressure, and a rogue FBI.

benjipwns

Banned
You honestly don't see how mass email dumps through Wikileaks was a calculated attempt to deligitemize the Clinton campaign, which was already hurting from an email scandal? Most people probably couldn't tell you the difference between Clintons email server, the dnc emails, and podesta's emails. Hell I'd argue that was the point of mass releases who cares what's in it it's a "bad look".

Or you "benji-don't-see" how

Edit: hell trump himself appeared to not know the difference when he asked Russia to "find 30,000 missing emails"
So this was the master criminal conspiracy: have Russia acquire Democratic e-mails while you win the GOP nomination (obviously guaranteed) then Russia gobetweens Wikileaks to release the e-mails (which will obviously be heavily damaging) and you go directly to White House (because you obviously have nothing on your end that could hurt you)?

What the deal with the single painted red finger nail?
In memory of his mother.

kirblar

I'm just gonna say it

People love states

Violence is fundamental to scarcity which is fundamental to the universe, and cannot be escaped

(Except for gay space communism of course)
Yeah, my reaction to the Libertarians complaining that "state action is violence" (rather than simply acknowledging it as such) is basically "So? Isn't that the point?"

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So this was the master criminal conspiracy: have Russia acquire Democratic e-mails while you win the GOP nomination (obviously guaranteed) then Russia gobetweens Wikileaks to release the e-mails (which will obviously be heavily damaging) and you go directly to White House (because you obviously have nothing on your end that could hurt you)?

In memory of his mother.
I don't know what the master plan was, or even if there was one at all. What I do know is it should be clear to someone of your intelligence how releasing dumps of "boring emails" was intended to damage her campaign. Why do it if you expect it will have no effect?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, my reaction to the Libertarians complaining that "state action is violence" (rather than simply acknowledging it as such) is basically "So? Isn't that the point?"

My answer to "the state has a monopoly on violence" is "I'd rather not everyone have access to violence thanks"

pigeon

Banned

In memory of his mother.

They thought it would hurt Hillary and make it harder for her to run the country once she won.

Is Benji denying that the Russians tried to mess with the election by undermining Clinton?

That's two people I've heard say that today. Absolutely baffling to me, especially with the Russian metadata all over the files, the IC backing it up, and evidence of them doing the same in France (where even more Russian metadata was found).

pigeon

Banned
Is Benji denying that the Russians tried to mess with the election by undermining Clinton?

That's two people I've heard say that today. Absolutely baffling to me, especially with the Russian metadata all over the files, the IC backing it up, and evidence of them doing the same in France (where even more Russian metadata was found).

The libertarians and lib-adjacent really soaked up the Wikileaks thing about the CIA being able to disguise themselves as Russia.

benjipwns

Banned
I don't know what the master plan was, or even if there was one at all. What I do know is it should be clear to someone of your intelligence how releasing dumps of "boring emails" was intended to damage her campaign. Why do it if you expect it will have no effect?
They thought it would hurt Hillary and make it harder for her to run the country once she won.
The point I'm looking for here is where a criminal conspiracy involving Donald Trump is necessary to any of that?

And why anyone thinks we should be focused at all on a hypothetical crime that hypothetically harmed Hillary Clinton's campaign when there's you know, actual people being hurt and stuff. Might as well debate the primaries that Bernie had stolen from him again.

Yes, libertarians support state violence.

My answer to "the state has a monopoly on violence" is "I'd rather not everyone have access to violence thanks"
The latter is always the situation. The state's claim to its legitimacy in performing violence is the philosophical debate.

pigeon

Banned
The point I'm looking for here is where a criminal conspiracy involving Donald Trump is necessary to any of that?

And why anyone thinks we should be focused at all on a hypothetical crime that hypothetically harmed Hillary Clinton's campaign when there's you know, actual people being hurt and stuff. Might as well debate the primaries that Bernie had stolen from him again.

Yes, libertarians support state violence.

The latter is always the situation. The state's claim to its legitimacy in performing violence is the philosophical debate.

The state derives its just powers from the consent of the governed, duhhhh

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Nowhere. But it is absolutely necessary to the continued legitimacy of the republic that it be determined if something like this happened or not.

pigeon

Banned
Nowhere. But it is absolutely necessary to the continued legitimacy of the republic that it be determined if something like this happened or not.

You go to espionage with the useful idiots you have, not the useful idiots you wish you had

Blum and Poliquin trailing wouldn't surprise me, Obama won both districts. When people talk about "exasperated Trump supporters" that's exactly who they mean. Rural, working-class whites desperate enough to gamble on Trump.

Upton's district was only 50-49 Romney, too. Went 51-43 Trump in 2016.

benjipwns

Banned
Okay, but how?

Our politics are constantly interfered with by foreign powers. Every election is subsumed with discussions about them. This goes back to the very founding elections even!

At worst here we have a foreign power that directly targeted and harmed one of our political candidates for one of our political offices. And they couldn't even get access to her e-mails, just her lackey. I'm not impressed at all. Judicial Watch got more of her e-mails than Russia ever did. (Officially.)

It just seems like a desperate attempt to deny the legitimacy of Donald Trump as President. Why excuse the voters who elected him? Let alone give their agency, their complicity, away and grant the power of that legitimacy to a foreign state that we were "officially" semi-buds with until recently.

It's all the circumstantial evidence that makes this different. Tillerson as SOS, the anti NATO comments during the campaign, the members of the campaign meeting with Russians.

pigeon

Banned
Okay, but how?

Our politics are constantly interfered with by foreign powers. Every election is subsumed with discussions about them. This goes back to the very founding elections even!

At worst here we have a foreign power that directly targeted and harmed one of our political candidates for one of our political offices. And they couldn't even get access to her e-mails, just her lackey.

It just seems like a desperate attempt to deny the legitimacy of Donald Trump as President. Why excuse the voters who elected him? Let alone give their agency, their complicity, away and grant it to a foreign state that were "officially" semi-buds with until recently.

I mean, I think this is the problem. Since you view all government as illegitimate, the different levels of legitimacy escape you. For those of us who can see in color, green and blue look different.

benjipwns

Banned
I mean you want to talk personal ties with foreign states in both the public and private sectors exploited for political gain and profit and influencing foreign policy:
Bush.
Rumsfeld.
Cheney.

Nafai1123

Banned
Okay, but how?

At worst here we have a foreign power that directly targeted and harmed one of our political candidates for one of our political offices. And they couldn't even get access to her e-mails, just her lackey. I'm not impressed at all. Judicial Watch got more of her e-mails than Russia ever did. (Officially.)

It just seems like a desperate attempt to deny the legitimacy of Donald Trump as President. Why excuse the voters who elected him? Let alone give their agency, their complicity, away and grant its power and legitimacy to a foreign state that we were "officially" semi-buds with until recently.

Understanding how big data analytics and targeted kompromat propagation occurs can help us contend with and combat it in the future. Understanding how that targeting took place, who/what was involved, and how it was so easy to do is vital to preserving our sovereignty moving forward as a nation. Not just for the US, but around the world. Our country proved incapable of defending itself from cyber-warfare targeting the fundamental system of our democracy. There is nothing more important than stopping that from happening again and holding those in charge of it responsible.

What was released is irrelevant. What matters is how easy it was to systematically target specific voter groups/areas and influence them to the point that they were able to swing an election in the favor of someone everyone thought would lose. The ramifications of this are absolutely terrifying, and I'm baffled that people seem more focused on what was released than how it was released.

None of this excuses the voters who got him elected. They were morons easily influenced by bullshit. But in order to better prevent this from happening in the future, we must understand how they were targeted and manipulated, and how that knowledge can be put to good use in the future.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Those people doing bad things and these people doing bad things are not mutually exclusive.

Also, if I had a nickel every time... I'd buy a boat had name it the SS Whataboutism

pigeon

Banned
Actually you can probably make a pretty good argument that Trump doesn't happen if Obama had actually put Bush on trial for torture.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Because Barack wouldn't have gotten a second term and we would have president Romney.

[/speculative historical fiction]

benjipwns

Banned
Those people doing bad things and these people doing bad things are not mutually exclusive.

Also, if I had a nickel every time... I'd buy a boat had name it the SS Whataboutism
The FBI does not have unlimited resources. I would prefer they chase actual crimes rather than highly dubious cases of corporate espionage in racketeering enterprises. One place they can start is with all those indictments they failed to file eight years ago.

Actually you can probably make a pretty good argument that Trump doesn't happen if Obama had actually put Bush on trial for torture.
I fully endorse Trump putting both in prison. If he has to run the FBI himself, so be it. I trust he will then indict himself. He looks honest to me. He probably should get a hat that says it though so I can be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom