• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The FBI does not have unlimited resources. I would prefer they chase actual crimes rather than highly dubious cases of corporate espionage in racketeering enterprises.
Those are both.... actual crimes.

It's almost like you have argued yourself into a corner, built your house there, then set it on fire, then asked the fire department of the local jusrisdiction who's authority you don't recognize to put it out.

Do federal prosecutors really need a recommendation from FBI to arrest Hillary over emails?

It is crazy that they are leaning ob this story again to excuse firing Comey

benjipwns

Banned
Those are both.... actual crimes.

It's almost like you have argued yourself into a corner, built your house there, then set it on fire, then asked the fire department of the local jusrisdiction who's authority you don't recognize to put it out.
But one shouldn't get the FBI's assistance is prosecuting their case. It's like how you can't get your drug dealer arrested for false advertising because he promised you it was 100% pure grade hemlock and it was only 98% pure. That's gotta be a civil suit.

The alternative is anarchy.

benjipwns

Banned
I should probably tweet Tulsi with my idea of the bipartisan appointment of Hillary Clinton as FBI Director. She sounds like the kind of person who can personally make real change happen. (Tulsi, not Hillary.)

That way the background check can get to the bottom of Benghazi. Not to mention finally find out what the deal was with those e-mails we kept hearing about. And then we can lock her up and get back to building the wall to keep out Russian hackers.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Tom Winter‏Verified account @Tom_Winter

NBC News: Multiple FBI insiders say they believe James Comey was fired because he would not end Russia investigation, Pete Williams reports.

Note this comes from people within the FBI. These people aren't going to stop their investigation.

INBOX: Sasse and McCain Announce Opposition to President's Nominee for Trade Representative

https://twitter.com/bencjacobs/status/862441528781938690

McCain second no of the day. Hopefully his bff joins him.

And Collins, McCain, and Graham voted against repealing a methane regulation earlier today. I expect Flake and Heller will be the next to oppose, if the trend continues. Cruz may not realize his seat is even somewhat vulnerable yet.

To follow up on whyamihere's nugget about 3 GOP reps in trouble, here are the numbers:

Blum trails generic Democrat 32-47

Upton down 37-41

Poliquin behind 43-44

Against unnamed opponents I might not sweat those numbers too much if I were Upton or Poliquin, but Blum's days seem numbered. Could see Iowa having a big backlash against Trump and the GOP - Republicans got full control of the state government and predictably they're trying to turn it into another Kansas.

Nafai1123

Banned
Why exactly would impeachment hearings after the 2018 midterms be a bad thing? Seems like it would hurt the GOP more than Democrats considering they would need to find a new candidate to run if Trump is impeached (and would severely hurt his re-election chances either way).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
To follow up on whyamihere's nugget about 3 GOP reps in trouble, here are the numbers:

Blum trails generic Democrat 32-47

Upton down 37-41

Poliquin behind 43-44

Against unnamed opponents I might not sweat those numbers too much if I were Upton or Poliquin, but Blum's days seem numbered. Could see Iowa having a big backlash against Trump and the GOP - Republicans got full control of the state government and predictably they're trying to turn it into another Kansas.

Fred Upton is representing the 6th district (southwest Michigan), a rural area along with Kalamazoo, a college town. I guarantee if they find a pro-life democrat to run there, it's an easy win.

Blader

And Collins, McCain, and Graham voted against repealing a methane regulation earlier today. I expect Flake and Heller will be the next to oppose, if the trend continues. Cruz may not realize his seat is even somewhat vulnerable yet.

Cruz's seat isn't really vulnerable, but his judgement is so poor he would never know even if it was anyway.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I get the impression that Comey was well-liked by the people who worked under him

Apparently everyone outside the NY field office would walk through flames for the dude. There's a reason you see so many FBI sources popping up to talk about the firing.

Why exactly would impeachment hearings after the 2018 midterms be a bad thing? Seems like it would hurt the GOP more than Democrats considering they would need to find a new candidate to run if Trump is impeached (and would severely hurt his re-election chances either way).
Because Vermin Supreme will actually have a shot.

Cruz's seat isn't really vulnerable, but his judgement is so poor he would never know even if it was anyway.

He has made an absolute clown of himself the past year or so. I think his failures are combined with his support of the Trump agenda is going to really hurt him in 2018.

jtb

Banned

Impeachment is inherently undemocratic. Election in 2020 accomplishes the same outcome, without the enormous expense of political capital.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Note this comes from people within the FBI. These people aren't going to stop their investigation.
If I learned anything from the X-Files it's that it is super easy for an assistant director to stop an investigation if some pols are breathing down their neck. Even if it is about orange little men little green men trying to take over the earth.

Plinko

Impeachment is inherently undemocratic. Election in 2020 accomplishes the same outcome, without the enormous expense of political capital.

But necessary in extreme circumstances. This is an extreme circumstance.

I'm vaguely worried that if the investigation winds up getting both trump and pence jailed, and the speaker is a dem following a wave election (pelosi again?), that the conservative media goes in on depicting this as stealing the presidency and kasich or some other sociopath with manners leverages it into a republican re-branding for 2020.

But I hope we are blessed with the opportunity to trade our current worries for that one.

I'm not seeing why Democrats shouldn't move to impeach if they get the House/Senate in 2018. If they can flip moderates and undecided voters into voting for them under that message the only people who are going to be raising hell are Trump supporters and Republicans. It looks pretty clear you cannot reason with Trump's most overzealous supporters and Republican politicians are just about going to cry and scream about anything Democrats do.

It sounds like the only reason not to impeach would be "It's bad optics" which is silly at this point given how damaging this administration has been on top of the Republican party itself.

Wilsongt

It's sad the economy is somewhat stable.

Normal, everday people don't follow this shit going on because it doesn't directly affect them. They're more concerned with what celebs are doing, or taking care of their kids and homes that they fail to see or acknowledge the sheer level of corruption and ineptitude happening in Washington.

Actually you can probably make a pretty good argument that Trump doesn't happen if Obama had actually put Bush on trial for torture.

A black guy putting a Southerner on trial would lead to David Duke instead of Trump. Still should've looked into it but the odds of the country not having a racist objection to this are worse than my chances at a 3 way with Eartha Kitt.

Vimes

So is the electoral college.

Not disagreeing with you per se, just pissed off about it still.

Fred Upton is representing the 6th district (southwest Michigan), a rural area along with Kalamazoo, a college town. I guarantee if they find a pro-life democrat to run there, it's an easy win.
For sure.

We were talking about how gerrymanders can backfire earlier. Case in point - Michigan. Upton won by 22.2%. If he's in trouble, so are Bergman (14.8%), Amash (21.9%), Walberg (15%), Bishop (16.9%) and Trott (12.8%). That's one-quarter of the necessary swings for Democrats to lose the House in one state, a state that Trump won.

Spreading your voters too thin is all fine and dandy until you end up with like 300 House Democrats and there's an impeachin'-a-foot.

Nafai1123

Banned

Alternatively, letting this issue go to the wayside gives the GOP the potential to rebrand and reform the discussion going into the 2020 election, aided by an evolved and refined propaganda distribution platform.

I'm vaguely worried that if the investigation winds up getting both trump and pence jailed, and the speaker is a dem following a wave election (pelosi again?), that the conservative media goes in on depicting this as stealing the presidency and kasich or some other sociopath with manners leverages it into a republican re-branding for 2020.

But I hope we are blessed with the opportunity to trade our current worries for that one.

Yeah, I can kind of see this concern, but if in fact the investigation gets Trump AND Pence jailed, I'm not sure how the GOP successfully rebrand themselves in that amount of time when they were demonstrably standing next to the fire pouring gasoline onto it.

Democrats still need republicans to join in for impeachment. It would be much better if the cloud continued to hang over him in a presidential election over a failed impeachment attempt.

Yeah, I can kind of see this concern, but if in fact the investigation gets Trump AND Pence jailed, I'm not sure how the GOP successfully rebrand themselves in that amount of time when they were demonstrably standing next to the fire pouring gasoline onto it.
That would be such an unprecedented clusterfuck I don't think anyone would know what would happen next.

benjipwns

Banned
Democrats elected in 2018 take office in 2019. Democrats will already be running for President at this point, likely including many Senators.

They also won't have the seats to convict. So they spend a year or more bringing the charges and doing the trial and we're already into 2020 at minimum. The GOP could have dropped Trump!

And if you succeed, then you have President Pelosi, do your candidates all stand aside so she can run for re-election?

It's a logistical nightmare. Instead you just keep the cloud of scandal active.

I've seen some evidence (but its been years) that there was significant disapproval of both Clinton's actions and Republicans prosecuting his impeachment, and it got taken out on Gore. (Which led to Lieberman.)

This is basically why they didn't impeach after 2006. 2008 accomplished the same thing and was seen as far more legitimate because the "people decided" rather than months of people hearing all the impeachment garbage they hate because they hate scandal just generally more than specifically.

Democrats still need republicans to join in for impeachment. It would be much better if the cloud continued to hang over him in a presidential election over a failed impeachment attempt.

Yeah impeachment won't happen. But also if Trump is alive, he's running for reelection. I want him to have a serious primary challenge in addition to more "culture of corruption" stories to really turn his ass into Bizarro World Jimmy Carter.

The problem with the ISVC is that it requires either red states to get on board (unlikely given the advantage the EC college confers on their party) or you have to convince multiple swing states to give up all the sweet cash they get on election years.

Plinko

For sure.

We were talking about how gerrymanders can backfire earlier. Case in point - Michigan. Upton won by 22.2%. If he's in trouble, so are Bergman (14.8%), Amash (21.9%), Walberg (15%), Bishop (16.9%) and Trott (12.8%). That's one-quarter of the necessary swings for Democrats to lose the House in one state, a state that Trump won.

Spreading your voters too thin is all fine and dandy until you end up with like 300 House Democrats and there's an impeachin'-a-foot.

I'd be shocked if Amash lost. He is one of the very few speaking out against Trump, and seems to generally want to hear both sides of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom