• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
That's interesting.

I don't know much about him, and I'm sure I disagree with him on plenty of issues. But at the minimum you've got to have some respect for somebody who is willing to stand by and defend his choices rather than running away from them.

Stop feeling sympathy with fucking quislings

Crocodile

What the fuck is up with MSNBC becoming CNN lite with all these conservatives getting their own shows. Nicole Wallace? Really?

I'm ok with this? Wallace is fine. I have no problem watching or listening to conservatives who aren't fucking insane even if they occasionally say things that make me facepalm (minimum requirement is that they are sincerely anti-Trump and his administration since Trump and those around him are uniquely full of shit).

The rumors they might give Hugh Hewitt his own show, CNN might as well give jack Kingston his own show so they can compete.

HH however could be shot into the Sun for all I care. Fuck that guy!

Scuttlebutt is that whoever's in charge right now is trying to pick them up because conservatives get higher ratings. Not even kidding.

I posted an article about it last week I think but its the most liberal parts of MSNBC's lineup that are flourishing. If MSNBC wants more ratings, they should move to the left.

benjipwns

Banned
Ernie Johnson from Inside the NBA is a Republican, you don't trust him either?
Even better...so is Kenny Smith. Partly. He endorsed Gary Johnson, but has done stuff for other libertarian-lean Republicans like Bill Weld.

And Charles flirts with it from time to time, was more so in the past when he wanted to run for governor. He did endorse Kasich though. (Who Ernie said he wrote in for the general election iirc)

That just leaves....

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Stop feeling sympathy with fucking quislings

Who the fuck is talking about sympathy?

We should fight every day to take his seat from him. His views on a lot of things are shit.

Doesn't change what I said. I have more respect for someone who actually believes something enough to defend it than I do for the rest of the Republicans who run away from the question and don't even bother to defend the dogshit decision they made. Doesn't have to be much respect at all, by the way. But it's more than zero.

If Republicans were all on TV talking about why the AHCA is a good bill and how it will make things better, they would still be morons but at least it would be something we could debate. What they're doing now is nothing at all. Just voting through a pile of shit and they know it, so they hide from the cameras and just lie about what the bill even says.

DonShula

I can't believe I'm saying this, but after a shaky start Huck Sanders was actually not terrible at the podium. Everything she said was 100% horseshit of course, but unlike Spicer she wasn't a complete asshole the whole time. I wouldn't be surprised it Sean decided it's time to spend more time with his family soon.

I agree. She shovels it without the theatrics, while still mouthing off back to the reporters. Trump would probably dump Spicey for her
if she looked like a contestant from one of his pageants.

chadskin

Agents were stunned that Mr. Trump would fire Mr. Comey in the midst of an F.B.I. investigation into whether any of the president’s associates had conspired with Russia to swing the election in favor of Mr. Trump. Some said in interviews that news of the firing felt like a gut punch. Others wondered whether they would be able to continue the inquiry.

One senior F.B.I. official said that the president had severely damaged his standing among agents, many of whom are conservative and supported Mr. Trump as a candidate. Agents were angered by the way Mr. Trump fired Mr. Comey, who learned of his dismissal from television reports while he was in Los Angeles. They called it disrespectful.
Agents, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to candidly offer their assessments of F.B.I. morale, said they respected Mr. Comey as their director. They said they believed he had the bureau’s best interests in mind and had tried his best to guide them through a difficult past year, even if he had misstepped in the Clinton investigation.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/...ts-wonder-about-future-of-russia-inquiry.html

Ogodei

I'm impressed that you did all this but it could stand for some creativity :p Iron Range sounds fancier than Northeast Minnesota for example. Still, impressive work doing it for all 435.

The gerrymandering's part of the problem there. A lot of states have sub-regions that could make for cool names for congressional districts, but a lot of them just go wherever, hence a lot of the "North Denver Metro" type names, because they don't even conform to a single suburb or anything.

Did try to give the more outlandish districts more outlandish names, like the Latino Belt(s) of Southeast Texas, whose purpose is blatantly obvious, or the one in Maryland simply dubbed "urban sprawl."

barber

Rough stuff...

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/862368572013760512

C_e_o_0XgAo0S8i.jpg:large

So more or less:
Negative 244 of 406 : 60.1%
idiot / incompetent / liar / unqualified /ignorant / egotistical / asshole / stupid / arrogant / bully / narcissist / disgusting / clown / dishonest

Positive 146: 35.96%
leader / president / strong / businessman / trying / business / successful / great / American / good

Not sure 16 of 406: 3.94%
racist / bigot

benjipwns

Banned
We should fight every day to take his seat from him. His views on a lot of things are shit.
Can we leave him as a token Republican House member at least. He's all I've got in this harsh world.
California Republican Congressman Devin Nunes calling Amash "Al Qaeda's best friend in Congress"; As Friedersdorf of The Atlantic notes, "Amash voted against the reauthorization of the Patriot Act, favored a measure to repeal indefinite detention, and opposed reauthorization of the FISA Amendments Act."
Amash opposed President Donald Trump's 2017 executive order to temporarily curtail Muslim immigration until better screening methods are devised. He stated: ”Like Pres. Obama's executive actions on immigration, Pres. Trump's executive order overreaches and undermines our constitutional system."
He supported a repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act
Amash and fellow U.S. Representative Ted W. Lieu (D-CA) introduced a bill[75] to block the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) from financing its Cannabis Eradication Program through civil asset forfeitures

Plus demographic changes.

D+16 fits pretty closely with the special election results we've seen too. Just have to keep the momentum up.
Yup. Doesn't feel that way because they've all been held in these D/R+a billion-ass districts, but if*** this held through November no gerrymander alive would stop us.

I'll crunch how many seats we'd get over 2016 if we won by 16 points.

I know it's irrational because it's bullshit, but part of me is genuinely worried about a false flag attack at this point. It seems fitting that only someone propped up by the conspiracy theory crowd would be the one to actually make fiction a reality.

Allard

Yup. Doesn't feel that way because they've all been held in these D/R+a billion-ass districts, but if*** this held through November no gerrymander alive would stop us.

I'll crunch how many seats we'd get over 2016 if we won by 16 points.

Gerrymandering in this particular wave would actually be a detriment, they are designed to max out seats during normal wave years. 16 point shift in such a scenario would dramatically change potential house makeup in 2018 (should voters ACTUALLY get out and vote this time and maintain this average). At this point the thing I am most interested in hearing about is Gubernatorial and state legislative elections, those things gerrymandered too in a lot of states, I'm curious if we might see some similar national whiplash there.

I know it's irrational because it's bullshit, but part of me is genuinely worried about a false flag attack at this point. It seems fitting that only someone propped up by the conspiracy theory crowd would be the one to actually make fiction a reality.

They aren't competent enough to pull that off without leaving an obvious trail or Trump spilling the beans in a heated 2am Twitter rant.

Trouble

Banned

You really think Trump & Co. have the competence to pull that off?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
But they don't call it racist, they call it honest.
"Racial realist" is the new go to term I have heard from self identified white supremacists. Coincidentally "climate realist" is also the new term for climate science denial.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Trump can barely tie his own shoes without elbowing himself in his own (very small) dick.

If he tried to pull off a fake terrorist attack he'd probably accidentally demolish Trump Tower with him in it.

studyguy

The best PressSec for the current administration is basically one who just refuses clarify anything I suppose. Huckabee Sanders is exceptional at that. Even trying to stay on message with the WH is impossible atm when it's thrown in their face the next day. Just not saying anything is better.

Slacker

I worry about that too, but not as much as I worry about a real attack. Trump is the best "bulletin board material" terrorist groups could ever ask for, so provoking a response out of him is very much in their best interests.

With the false flag situation I'm slightly less worried knowing the amount of people that would have to be involved and the likelihood of them all keeping their mouths shut.

I mentioned on here last month a Texas Rangers pitcher got demoted to the minors as a punishment for violating some team rule. Everyone of course wanted to know what he did, but we never found out, probably because everyone involved has a tremendous amount of respect for the team's manager and other leadership.

Conversely, when Trump exhales slightly louder than normal, it's leaked to the press by 21 different sources. He commands zero respect whatsoever, and the idea that someone would risk their career and/or freedom to help him stage a false attack seems like a mighty stretch.

In other words, don't worry, our president is too incompetent to screw up in that specific way! ;)

I mean they've literally been trying to make it stick for almost a full day now and it's still not really. Maybe if he didn't have like 38% approval more people would believe him.

Yeah it's coming off more pathetic than his usual. He really thought everyone would give him a cookie for this move.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
If democrats complain about sessions, price, de vos, and Pruitt will trump fire them too? Because we can arrange a complain in.

We won't even be mad when he fires them, scouts honor! Unless he wants us to pretend again, for his tweeting pleasure.

benjipwns

Banned
"Racial realist" is the new go to term I have heard from self identified white supremacists. Coincidentally "climate realist" is also the new term for climate science denial.
"Race realist" is pretty old actually. Been around since the early 2000s at least, David Duke I think started using it. There was a magazine that specialized in it. Though now a google search just goes to voat, reddit, alt-right and Trump related articles so you can't find any of the great old stuff from the before times.

The Time Cube guy oddly enough had basically the same theory.

It's based on evolution you see.

cory December 3, 2015 at 4:44 pm
One of my favorite passtimes is to dabate race denyers. It's so easy when truth is on your side. However, the race denyers are like religeous fanatics ignoring evidence and common sense. It's so frustrating!

edit: oh oh here, it was James Watson that started the kerfuffle that introduced me to the term...here's known racist John Derbyshire's piece from the time:
http://www.johnderbyshire.com/Opinions/HumanSciences/raceiq.html

"Race realist" is pretty old actually. Been around since the early 2000s at least, David Duke I think started using it. There was a magazine that specialized in it. Though now a google search just goes to voat, reddit, alt-right and Trump related articles so you can't find any of the great old stuff from the before times.

The Time Cube guy oddly enough had basically the same theory.

It's based on evolution you see.

edit: oh oh here, it was James Watson that started the kerfuffle that introduced me to the term...here's known racist John Derbyshire's piece from the time:
http://www.johnderbyshire.com/Opinions/HumanSciences/raceiq.html

Yeah, learning that one of the three people instrumental to discerning the DNA double helix (Rosalind Franklin got screwed, I always include her) also believes that the contents of that helix dictate the intellectual inferiority of black people was one of the sadder discoveries I've made in the last few years.

I've heard "race realist" since at least when I was in high school (2005/06ish), btw, so yeah, it ain't new by any stretch. Alt-right is the new hotness.

So I'm aware analysis like this is kind of meaningless because any swing in a Dem wave wouldn't be uniform, but just to put this in perspective, Republicans won the generic House vote by a 1.1% margin.

If you turned that into a 16% win for the Democrats, we would hold 245 House seats, a gain of 51 over our current number.

And just so you can cry about what could have been, we'd have 57 seats in the Senate had we won by this margin in 2016, including pick-ups in Georgia, Arizona and Kentucky. Ted Strickland still loses lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom