• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Democrats have a 17 point edge on Healthcare over the GOP.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/poll-democrats-lead-health-care-gop-economy-n775706

which_party_would_do_a_better_job_-_democrats_republicans_chartbuilder_484cebb40030a138f999046f560f4d45.nbcnews-ux-600-480.png

Better not run on health care in 2018. Maybe we can do some TV spots of children watching Trump say nasty things?

I think most voters when they hear "economy" think "tax cuts durrhurr"

I think it is more to do with most Americans linking economy with the success of big businesses. Republicans talk about the economy a lot and have close ties to big businesses and wealthy people, plus campaign on tax cuts helps too.

Guess we'll see what happens as Dems have both lost & gained seats when in the positive.

The president's party almost always loses House seats in midterm elections. The only recent exceptions were 2002 (Bush still enjoying very high approvals post-9/11) and 1998 (voter anger at Republicans for impeaching Clinton, who was popular). Before that you have to go all the way back to 1934 (voters supporting the New Deal while blaming Republicans for the Depression) to find an exception.

So, Democrats making gains is practically a given. But of course there's a huge gap between gaining a handful of seats and capturing the chamber.

Ryuuroden

Dems need to stop focusing on distractions like Russia in the media, let Mueller and the investigation committee's do their thing and start pushing messages on how much trump and the republicans are failing to bring back jobs and how much they are enriching the rich and stealing money from the middle class. There are plenty of examples of their failings to hold up. Play the economic populism game because unlike the republicans, dems are not just talk when it comes to helping the working class.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Dems need to stop focusing on distractions like Russia in the media, let Mueller and the investigation committee's do their thing and start pushing messages on how much trump and the republicans are failing to bring back jobs and how much they are enriching the rich and stealing money from the middle class. There are plenty of examples of their failings to hold up. Play the economic populism game because unlike the republicans, dems are not just talk when it comes to helping the working class.

Right now their focus should be on this giant pile of shit bill.
The Russia story is self-perpetuating, it will stay in the news on it's own.

kirblar

Right now their focus should be on this giant pile of shit bill.
The Russia story is self-perpetuating, it will stay in the news on it's own.
It's the new Colin K./BLM for people to complain that the Dems are "focusing" on it because they see it on CNN/MSNBC and think that they're mouthpieces for the "liberal" media.

Ogodei

This is the right thing to do IMO.

More continuing to cling to his naive beliefs that it's only sincere disagreements holding us apart. The rest of it was good, but he's still too damn conciliatory to the GOP.

You've got no reason to be polite, Barry! Flame on!

Holy crap, the non-Hispanic white population( European Americans basically) didn't even grow .

I guess the studies of white Americans dying is true.

Among the many, many fucked up things about the healthcare debate, its worth noting that the GOP is actively working to kill off their main voting base faster.

The GOP having a seven point lead in dealing with the economy after the Great Recession makes me want to bang my head bloody.

Obama and the GOP didn't do much together and the economy improved some. Seems like doing virtually nothing is a sufficient strategy hence their 7 pt lead. Just stay out of the way and don't make things worse than it otherwise would've been.

sangreal

Obama and the GOP didn't do much together and the economy improved some. Seems like doing virtually nothing is a sufficient strategy hence their 7 pt lead. Just stay out of the way and don't make things worse than it otherwise would've been.

Except for the trillion dollar stimulus, quantitative easing, etc. etc.

studyguy

Anyway the stars are aligning. We have senators who could fold already, we have the house waiting to eat what the senate shits out and the president gungho behind it.

Shit's done.

Diablos

Technically, it's not actually dead at all. This isn't a repeal land replace bill, it's just a tweak bill
Tweaked like a zombie ant, sure.

This bill kills Medicaid and I am quite concerned about how everything will be funded since all of the taxes are basically gone.

If low income people get a tax credit who is paying for that? How is this even sustainable?

Maxim726X

So this went from 'zero chance' to 'probably a done deal' in a few weeks.

Say what you want, but the Democrats would never have the balls. Republicans just get shit done... Even if it's heinous .

Say what you want, but the Democrats would never have the balls. Republicans just get shit done... Even if it's heinous .

I mean, Dems had the "balls" to pass the ACA in the first place. For which they're unduly paying a massive price for. House even managed to pass a public option.

People saying it had no chance of passing were, uh, at best overly optimistic. There was no real clear reason to think Cassidy was any different from MacArthur (and, in fact, a reasonable argument that he has less to lose).

Maxim726X

I mean, Dems had the "balls" to pass the ACA in the first place. For which they're unduly paying a massive price for. House even managed to pass a public option.

I mean pass something that so brazenly disenfranchises so many for the benefit of their donors... Which will be spun into a failure by the democratic party, somehow.

Ogodei

because Dems follow procedure while GOP constantly rewrites the rules of the game.

Next time the chambers align with the president, ram through Medicare for all, kill the Hyde Amendment, and pass massive tax hikes within 100 hours. No more fooling around.

I mean pass something that so brazenly disenfranchises so many for the benefit of their donors... Which will be spun into a failure by the democratic party, somehow.

Ah yes, I see. That's definitely true, then. I do think it would be puzzling for them to pass this, then blame the Dems. I could see that working if this fails, then they just sit and let the ACA self-destruct.

But an active passage and signature like this? We're truly lost as a country if people decide to pin that on Dems. That would be the final nail in the coffin for me.

because Dems follow procedure while GOP constantly rewrites the rules of the game.

Next time the chambers align with the president, ram through Medicare for all, kill the Hyde Amendment, and pass massive tax hikes within 100 hours. No more fooling around.
That will have to be accompanied by increasing SCOTUS, then. Because you better believe the GOP will fall back on the ultra conservative court system they got to pack to block any potential legislative progress.

Shit's fucked almost beyond repair.

Edit: DP, whatever.

And then a cycle or two later your replacements come in and say no more fooling around and gut all that stuff while passing all their own dream bills. Eventually, the country just becomes an unstable mess.

is it true that most aspects of the AHCA wont become active until 2020, just in time to sour a potential dem pres

Hospitals have been pretty clear that they are going to aggressively cut costs by closing facilities, not accepting Medicaid, etc ahead of any actual cuts. This is going to really hurt people before the actual provisions kick in.

And then a cycle or two later your replacements come in and say no more fooling around and gut all that stuff while passing all their own dream bills. Eventually, the country just becomes an unstable mess.

You heard it here folks. Unless we allow a minority of an already unrepresentative chamber to painlessly block legislation using a maneuver that was created entirely by accident the country will become an unstable mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom