• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why we say the South won the peace. The Lost Cause is actually the dominant narrative of the Civil War as taught in American high schools. Most people are taught propaganda. It's a testament to their innate moral character that most of them still come out saying the war was obviously about slavery.

Yeah, I bought the "it wasn't about slavery" racket until college. The South definitely won the battle of rhetoric. Even small things like calling CSA forces "veterans" and shit like that just pushes the idea that the Civil War was complicated. It really wasn't!

pigeon

Banned
I constantly said they are neither the focus nor the crux of my argument. People in this thread have pressed me to show evidence that it exists, and I have.

I've left it at that.

This is not an accurate reading of your own behavior in this thread.

I'll leave it at that!

PBY

Banned
This is not an accurate reading of your own behavior in this thread.

I'll leave it at that!

Its really hard to not respond to direct attacks claiming that I'm spreading pro-Russia bullshit, when the underlying claims are true. But agree, we should leave it.

pigeon

Banned
To my credit, we actually never got through the Civil War in my US History class because our teacher was bad.

I mean, that's a really bad teacher. The Civil War is like the second thing you cover in US History. What did you do, spend three months on the War of 1812?

That's why we say the South won the peace. The Lost Cause is actually the dominant narrative of the Civil War as taught in American high schools. Most people are taught propaganda. It's a testament to their innate moral character that most of them still come out saying the war was obviously about slavery.

This is pretty much my experience. There was a lot of effort in school to portray the causes of the Civil War as very complicated and having a lot to do with states' rights and economic and cultural differences between North and South. See also Grant's reputation as a failed president (which is thankfully, albeit slowly, changing).

I took a class on the Civil War in college. The main theme of the first lecture was pretty much "seriously though, it was about slavery."

SexyFish

Banned

I will let the liberals answer for their own sins in this regard. (There are many.) But we conservatives mocked Barack Obama's failure to deliver on his pledge to change the tone in Washington even as we worked to assist with that failure. It was we conservatives who, upon Obama's election, stated that our No. 1 priority was not advancing a conservative policy agenda but making Obama a one-term president—the corollary to this binary thinking being that his failure would be our success and the fortunes of the citizenry would presumably be sorted out in the meantime. It was we conservatives who were largely silent when the most egregious and sustained attacks on Obama's legitimacy were leveled by marginal figures who would later be embraced and legitimized by far too many of us. It was we conservatives who rightly and robustly asserted our constitutional prerogatives as a co-equal branch of government when a Democrat was in the White House but who, despite solemn vows to do the same in the event of a Trump presidency, have maintained an unnerving silence as instability has ensued. To carry on in the spring of 2017 as if what was happening was anything approaching normalcy required a determined suspension of critical faculties. And tremendous powers of denial.

Trump tweets are gonna be good later today.

So Scaramucci also had an interview with the BBC where he compared the American revolution to the start up of UBER and where he states that he and Donald detest back stabbing they prefer "front stabbing". Has that interview been published?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just got in and saw the Scaramucci news.

So he basically was just an attempted diversion to distract from the health care bill, right?

chadskin

Trump tweets are gonna be good later today.

DGGL_ksUQAE4m9A.jpg

MJ Lee‏Verified account @mj_lee 12m12 minutes ago
More
MJ Lee Retweeted MJ Lee
Sen. Hatch, asked if they'll vote again health care: Not unless there's a "reasonable chance of success." (@tedbarrettcnn)

#tiredofwinning

Ogodei

Yeah, I bought the "it wasn't about slavery" racket until college. The South definitely won the battle of rhetoric. Even small things like calling CSA forces "veterans" and shit like that just pushes the idea that the Civil War was complicated. It really wasn't!

Part of that was about soothing tensions at the time, like allowing Confederate war dead to be interned at Arlington Cemetery.

watershed

Banned

Flake wrote a whole book about the state of the republican party. He says he wrote it in secret without telling even his staff because he didn't want them to dissuade him from writing or publishing it.

It's an interesting thing. He says he is choosing to be candid now because of how bad the republican party has become. But he's also running for re-election in Arizona where a "maverick"-like streak may actually benefit him. He's in trouble on that front.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...n-trouble-sen-jeff-flake-really-in/480665001/

Mofo, you still following the President! Dude just out here trying to sell books as the principled conservative. Trump's already coming his seat so he's getting back.

Seriously, dude is so full of shit. I'm embarrassed he is my senator. He wants to be the new "maverick" in Arizona.

Kusagari

Flake is trying to carve up this image as some moderating voice when he's one of the most conservative Republicans in the Senate and has never taken a single courageous vote.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Flake is trying to carve up this image as some moderating voice when he's one of the most conservative Republicans in the Senate and has never taken a single courageous vote.

Ugh, I get where you are coming from, but you can't take back some of the stuff he wrote.

This seems more than lip-service.

sphagnum

Banned
I feel like I was the only one who had good US history teachers in high school, and both were conservative.

The second one loved Ronald Reagan but he made us read The Jungle.

The term Moderate Darling captured in graphic form.

Flake's not even a Moderate Darling, really. At least Murkowski put her money where her mouth was at least one time when it counted.

Edit: I had one good history teacher, a few "eh" ones that just kinda taught us the textbooks, and one that stated he believed The Reformation was the most important event in world history (this was World History Honors, btw).

kirblar

I feel like I was the only one who had good US history teachers in high school, and both were conservative.

Why on earth would you feel that?

There are plenty of good history teachers around the country- the issues w/ neoconfederate stuff are systemic.

GrapeApes

I mean, is he saying he wasn't one of those Republicans? I thought he was admitting they did a shitty thing and he was part of it.
I think he's trying to run as being a Maverick. He did a shitty thing and probably would have continued to do shitty things if the President wasn't trying to take his seat. This is just apologizing after the fact because you're afraid of future consequences.

If by 2017 the conservative bargain was to go along for the very bumpy ride because with congressional hegemony and the White House we had the numbers to achieve some long-held policy goals—even as we put at risk our institutions and our values—then it was a very real question whether any such policy victories wouldn’t be Pyrrhic ones.
Like how can your square his words with his actions. Dude voted for a shit bill everyone hated just for a political victory.

I had a great US History teacher (also a conservative but she wasn't crazy). It was just the state specific Mississippi Studies class that sucked.

Ugh, I get where you are coming from, but you can't take back some of the stuff he wrote.

This seems more than lip-service.
It's politics. the guy is a scam artist and this op ed is a pile of shit too.

---
I had decent US History teachers but they all ultimately sucked for not delving into how the country really treated and continues to treat black people and all minority groups. You basically have to go read some external sources to get some knowledge on race in this country in 95% of US Histoy classes.

Kusagari

DW-Nominate ranks Jeff Flake, based off his voting record, as more conservative than every Republican in the Senate not named Ted Cruz, Mike Lee and Rand Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom