• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
I don't buy it. In a non-gerrymandered house and a Senate map that was maxed out, Dems could do it by muscle memory.

But in these times and this map, I don't think we can afford to sleepwalk through this. Certainly not when the stakes are this high.

Oh, sure. I don't think we should do it. 70% is not good enough odds.

But that's not the same thing as saying I don't think she's mostly correct. Hillary almost won! There's literally no room for Trump to underperform his 2016 levels and still win the presidency. And he's probably going to underperform his 2016 levels because he sucks, the GOP spent most of this year fighting for a super unpopular policy they then failed to pass, and also they're all traitors.

We should work on evolving and doing better, but we should also be conscious of the reality of the election. This wasn't a blowout. Hillary nearly won, and she also outperformed almost every Democratic Senator and Representative candidate in doing so, so it's not like everybody else was running a way better strategy.

But that's not the same thing as saying I don't think she's mostly correct. Hillary almost won! There's literally no room for Trump to underperform his 2016 levels and still win the presidency. And he's probably going to underperform his 2016 levels because he sucks, the GOP spent most of this year fighting for a super unpopular policy they then failed to pass, and also they're all traitors.

We should work on evolving and doing better, but we should also be conscious of the reality of the election. This wasn't a blowout. Hillary nearly won, and she also outperformed almost every Democratic Senator and Representative candidate in doing so, so it's not like everybody else was running a way better strategy.

I just posted numbers to prove this.

jtb

Banned

True, though 2020 is a different story from 2018. I have much more faith in Dems ability to fuck up and still win in 2020.

But we know Dems don't turn out in midterms + gerrymandering + maxed out senate map, etc. etc. So I think 2018 is a significantly steeper degree of difficulty, without the assist of a presidential challenger to cohere things like 'party messaging'.

It's significantly easier for Hillary to win the presidency than it is for Dems to win the house. (The blue wall wasn't a total myth!) After all, Trump won more house districts than Clinton did, even with the realignment in the suburbs and sun belt.

kirblar

"If Hillary is how we do with a bad candidate...." is where I've been at for a while. (I don't think we had a "good" one in 2016 thanks to Hillary dissuading anyone from making an internal attempt)

Ogodei

The institution of slavery itself was the primary cause of the civil war. The southern states violated the Missouri Compromise when they tried to expand slavery to new territories in the west and every major presidential candidate dedicated a significant amount of their campaign laying out their plans for slavery/secession. The "slave question" dominated all of national politics before states actually started seceding.

Meant to say "in addition to" in my post, you're right.

Woah... A guy I went to school with is running for Congress! http://cortforcongress.com/

I remember being envious of his holographic Charizard card in the 4th grade... crazy how times change. I also remember him having a very visible and heated debate/argument with our high school's AP History teacher. (That teacher ended up being a Trump supporter, which makes sense in retrospect, lol)

Anyway, hope he does well! Anything to help make Missouri more blue!

PBY

Banned
Is there a chance that the D 2020 candidate isn't running against Trump? BC I think thats fairly likely.

UberTag

Is there a chance that the D 2020 candidate isn't running against Trump? BC I think thats fairly likely.
Does he have to return his 2020 campaign donations in that event or is he able to freely spend those on his lawyers?

But man, it was a pretty good dramatic reading (also I don't disagree).

I wish they'd done a Glenn Beck one, too. I saw one one time in a bookstore and read the back and was like "holy shit I'm so curious." But obviously I'm not giving him money, sadly they just have that partial Ben Shapiro one.

And yeah it's great.

Teggy

Lolol

DGGuWN_UwAAZXVD

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Vixdean

“Can you imagine the leverage you would get for drug prices and insurance prices if you were negotiating for 5 million people?”

Can you imagine the leverage if you were negotiating for 300 Million?

Yeah, but if the government does it, that's tyranny!

See - this is where we diverge. Its not bullshit. There is a sect of the Ukraine army that are Nazis. Its a fact. You can disagree as to their significance or relative importance in this discussion - but its a reality.

You are aware there are (neo-) Nazis in US armed forces, yes? Should we stop providing weapons to everyone in our military?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

jtb

Banned
Is Jeff Flakes the first of many or a lone wolf?

A lone wolf. He's already a never-trumper so he's not going out on a limb here, and he's vulnerable next year. Heller's already thrown in the towel.

It's just theater driven by fear that Trump will bury him.

jtb

Banned
For as long as Trump's policy agenda is driven by the GOP, and not the other way around, the party will never turn on Trump. The party needs Trump - because the base is much more closely aligned with Trump than a generic GOP congressperson - more than Trump needs the party.

And since Trump has no ideological leanings whatsoever and will never develop any (outside of racism, which he shares with the GOP), that dynamic will never flip.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
He's got a race coming up soon so it's not clear. When someone who isn't trying to save their skin defects, we could retroactively say Flake was the initial drip.

I've been expecting some defections, if only to save their own ass, any time now.
Collins and Murkowski are the first two to consistently stand up to Trump. So technically they are the first two "defections". By demonizing them, Trump also created a situation where they now have less incentive to continue to cooperate.

McCain did too, but I don't honestly know what he plans to do long-term. And frankly, he should be focused on spending time with his family and playing the long-odds on his cancer.

The issue with Flake is he is one of the most conservative candidates in the Senate, but he could still vote against some issues he complained about. If he does, then expect that to be the framework for the ultra-conservative wing of the party to follow. For example, not approving unqualified appointments, voting against getting rid of the filibuster, demanding more regular decorum, and the real test, voting for any type of action against Trump.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I just realized.

Kelly is now the most powerful person in the administration. Imagine if he quit next week.

Maybe this is actually a purge and Trump and Bannon are going to get rid of all generals by appointing them to posts' they'll quit from or be fired from soon after.

I just realized.

Kelly is now the most powerful person in the administration. Imagine if he quit next week.

Maybe this is actually a purge and Trump and Bannon are going to get rid of all generals by appointing them to posts' they'll quit from or be fired from soon after.

I dunno, judging by the briefing today McMaster might've started drinking the kool-aid.

Chichikov

Is Jeff Flakes the first of many or a lone wolf?
It's all about getting re-elected.
Most Republicans believe that going against Trump is going to hurt them more than supporting him, if they stop believing that, they'll go against him.
So my guess is that he won't be the last one, but I doubt we'll see something really organized unless Trump favorability drops to unprecedented levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom