• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I think I'm done with Jimmy Dore. Dude has absolutely gone off the deep end. Every one of his episodes nowadays focuses his ire on Hillary and Obama. He really, REALLY hates those two. To the point where he seems to think criticizing Trump is merely a "distraction". Ugh.

It would not surprise me if Jimmy and the Secular Talk guy are on the russian payroll.

Both have called the Russia investigation a distraction and both love love love to shit on the dems including Obama and Hilary

jtb

Banned
Sounds like Wray was part of some kind of nominations/recess package

Gillibrand scares me being on that list, because she's just reading the wind for 2020 hard.

What? You're scared that she's running for president or you're scared that she's not voting for another Trump shill?

kirblar

Gillibrand scares me being on that list, because she's just reading the wind for 2020 hard.
Her political instincts are terrifyingly good. It's why I swapped over to just embracing it. If we lost in part due to having a candidate who wasn't very good at this stuff, why not go full-throttle the other way?

Burr
Franken
McCain
edit: The abstentions.

Al or Joe for VP.

PBY

Banned
It would not surprise me if Jimmy and the Secular Talk guy are on the russian payroll.

Both have called the Russia investigation a distraction and both love love love to shit on the dems including Obama and Hilary

Not everyone is bought off by fucking Russia geeeeeez.

But yes, there's a faction on the left that spends an inordinate time shitting on liberals, not sure what you would expect from the YT.

jtb

Banned
Not everyone is bought off by fucking Russia geeeeeez.

But yes, there's a faction on the left that spends an inordinate time shitting on liberals, not sure what you would expect from the YT.

just TYT

Greenwald, on the other hand, is principled in his opportunistic hackery

There's a 30% chance Bernie, Kamala, and other Dems who want to be president just voted for a guy who will go to prison for obstruction of justice.

Just terrible political instincts.

How many appointees have actually been dedicated public servants with no hidden baggage/loyalty guarantees. Saying "if a Dem did all this, there would be zero approvals" is old hat, but it really is true how they're expected to give the benefit of the doubt every time, and are sad examples of partisanship if they don't.

Her political instincts are terrifyingly good. It's why I swapped over to just embracing it. If we lost in part due to having a candidate who wasn't very good at this stuff, why not go full-throttle the other way?

edit: The abstentions.

Al or Joe for VP.

Y'all keep thinking Franken isn't running...

Very surprised it wasn't more of a split vote. Going against -all- Trump nominees feels like it should be a given for any Democrat with higher ambitions at this point. It's easy to later admit "hey, the guy ended up being okay" but very hard to explain "wow, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary I'm shocked he ended up being a Trump puppet!"

Basically a string of Iraq war votes from here on.

jtb

Banned
Kamala:

DGLNzDIXcAIOhLm.jpg

I keep telling ya, she looks the part but she's not ready for primetime.

Paches

What would be a reason or 2 for being nervous about Gillibrand running? Just because she is from New York? I don't know enough about her actual policy positions or backstory to condemn her like it feels some do.

Very surprised it wasn't more of a split vote. Going against -all- Trump nominees feels like it should be a given for any Democrat with higher ambitions at this point. It's easy to later admit "hey, the guy ended up being okay" but very hard to explain "wow, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary I'm shocked he ended up being a Trump puppet!"

If Mueller came out tomorrow saying "yeah, they're all guilty of every accusation and more" and the GOP & Fox response was "yeah, ok, but it was worth it", Dems would still face a tsk tsking from the news if there was blanket noncooperation.

What would be a reason or 2 for being nervous about Gillibrand running? Just because she is from New York? I don't know enough about her actual policy positions or backstory to condemn her like it feels some do.

Blonde white woman from New York could smack of Hillary.

But Gilly not Hilly's political instincts could very likely overcome those comparisons.

PBY

Banned
Blonde white women from New York could smack of Hillary.

But Gilly not Hilly's political instincts could very likely overcome those comparisons.

Israel, although she backed down from her original stance on the BDS boycott, and I'm not sure anyone gives a shit to be honest.

I mean, she also worked at DPW, but this will only affect a small subset on the left.

Blonde white women from New York could smack of Hillary.

She also has not had a several decade long smear campaign against her.

Israel, although she backed down from her original stance on the BDS boycott, and I'm not sure anyone gives a shit to be honest.

I mean, she also worked at DPW, but this will only affect a small subset on the left.

I think the truth is most people either support Israel or they don't care. Its not a disqualifying position in this country.

I don't like it but that's just the way it is.

Like, that's actually a pretty good statement and something that would be wholly appropriate to say under any other circumstances, but I don't know why you take a chance on something like this when there's absolutely no need to go out on a limb. It wasn't even a close vote, either, so saying it was 100% symbolic or a protest vote is still safe.
If Mueller came out tomorrow saying "yeah, they're all guilty of every accusation and more" and the GOP & Fox response was "yeah, ok, but it was worth it", Dems would still face a tsk tsking from the news if there was blanket noncooperation.
You're not wrong, but this really reeeeeeeeeeeally sounds like a new Iraq war vote situation again where it cost Hillary the nomination in 2008. Not this one specific vote necessarily, but voting on absolutely any and all persons nominated by Trump in general.

Kamala:

DGLNzDIXcAIOhLm.jpg

I've read this twice now and am struggling to find where her statement sucks and why she's not ready.

Like are we all advocating protest votes for the sake of protest votes regardless of what it is we're protesting?

Can anyone explain why Mia Love has seemingly underperformed in every election she's ever contested? She represents an R+13 district but has never garnered more than 54% of the vote. Does that district have some ancestral Democratic leanings courtesy of Jim Matheson?

Or is it racism, which no one should endure regardless of party affiliation?

jtb

Banned
Because it's a completely meaningless vote for Kamala, and she still did the wrong thing. And her explanation of "Well, he said he'd be a good boy!" is weak, unconvincing shit.

I've read this twice now and am struggling to find where her statement sucks and why she's not ready.

Like are we all advocating protest votes for the sake of protest votes regardless of what it is we're protesting?

Why not? Dems should not be endorsing Republican FBI directors. It's bad politics AND policy

Can anyone explain why Mia Love has seemingly underperformed in every election she's ever contested? She represents an R+13 district but has never garnered more than 54% of the vote. Does that district have some ancestral Democratic leanings courtesy of Jim Matheson?

It's actually sexism, not racism from what I can tell.

Utah is far more driven by hatred of women than nonwhites.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Air Force to purchase bankrupt Russian airline's planes for Air Force One: report

Doesn't sound like the planes actually made it into Russian hands, but that's quite the headline.

..damn, that's actually pretty fucking smart. They get AF One early and way cheaper.

Because it's a completely meaningless vote for Kamala, and she still did the wrong thing. And her explanation of "Well, he said he'd be a good boy!" is weak, unconvincing shit.

Why not? Dems should not be endorsing Republican FBI directors. It's bad politics AND policy

Uh...the logical conclusion of your last statement would mean that any President whose party did not control the Senate could not get any cabinet members into government. I think I'll pass on that.

You're going to have to do better than shout lame platitudes. So far your advocating for protest votes simply to protest. Comey and Mueller are both republicans so I would disagree that simply putting one in charge at the FBI is bad policy, which is all that should matter politically, even if it doesn't.

While she was safe, maybe she felt a "no" vote wasn't needed. Ideally all politicians voted this way.

Uh...the logical conclusion of your last statement would mean that any President whose party did not control the Senate could not get any cabinet members into government. I think I'll pass on that.

This too. The results of more purity test bullshit.

You're not wrong, but this really reeeeeeeeeeeally sounds like a new Iraq war vote situation again where it cost Hillary the nomination in 2008. Not this one specific vote necessarily, but voting on absolutely any and all persons nominated by Trump in general.

Whoops, didn't mean to sound like I was excusing the votes due to media pressure. Most of these D senators seem to be too trusting and generally ignore what extremes the other party would go to in a inverse of these (legitimately serious) circumstances.

jtb

Banned
..damn, that's actually pretty fucking smart. They get AF One early and way cheaper.

You're going to have to do better than shout lame platitudes. So far your advocating for protest votes simply to protest. Comey and Mueller are both republicans so I would disagree that simply putting one in charge at the FBI is bad policy, which is all that should matter politically, even if it doesn't.

While she was safe, maybe she felt a "no" vote wasn't needed. Ideally all politicians voted this way.

This too. The results of more purity test bullshit.

Trump fired Comey. This is not some hypothetical generic GOP presidency where we're playing politics over the FBI nomination.

If you think the base doesn't want this, fine. I think all evidence points to the contrary.

I'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't understand how stupid it is to confirm Wray is too stupid to be president.

We need two facts here.

1. Trump fired his FBI Director for being unwilling to obstruct justice.

2. Trump nominated Wray for FBI director after saying this.

The dots are impossibly easy to connect here. Kamala and the rest voted for a guy who will possibly be an accessory to a criminal conspiracy.

The dots are impossibly easy to connect here. Kamala and the rest voted for a guy who will possibly be an accessory to a criminal conspiracy.
Dems should not be endorsing Republican FBI directors. It's bad politics AND policy
Yup. Not to try to beat the dead horse, but this exact sort of situation was litigated in the 2008 primaries. In a race so close, one of the few actual talking points against Clinton was her Iraq War vote. Her justification sounded extremely similar to that statement, even! "I trust these guys, so it'll be fine," essentially, which looks dumb as hell if it goes wrong later on. I didn't even hold the vote against her but I cannot deny the feelings others had.
Not saying that's a particularly productive tactic, but, well, yes? If you're pandering to Democratic primary voters, why not? Worked for Republicans for 8 years. Think of it as basic cost-benefit for future POTUS candidates-- There's a 0% chance of it bothering anyone and 0 possible votes lost in any primary for going against (or abstaining). If you end up being wrong, it's an instant non-starter for some of the left base.

lol Gillibrand.

T H I R S T Y

(This was the right move tho)

I think your spoiler is right.

I mean black people weren't even allowed to be Mormons until how long ago?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Whoops, didn't mean to sound like I was excusing the votes due to media pressure. Most of these D senators seem to be too trusting and generally ignore what extremes the other party would go to in a inverse of these (legitimately serious) circumstances.

Problem is, you can't blast Trump for ignoring norms and destabilizing the country politically, and then start doing the same thing and saying "well he started it!" as your reasoning. You can't run on being the adults in the room if your plan is to mimic Trump and the GOP.

Also, Comey might be the main reason that Trump gets impeached, so I'd say that republican worked out. Sec Gates probably saved the US hundreds of billions of dollars (and potentially trillions) moving forward by getting rid of cost+ military programs. That's another republican that worked out. I think people forget that the Republican party is divided even more ideologically than the Democratic party currently (crazy OT topics about pro-life Dem nominees notwithstanding)

EDIT:
Trump fired Comey. This is not some hypothetical generic GOP presidency where we're playing politics over the FBI nomination.

If you think the base doesn't want this, fine. I think all evidence points to the contrary.

Trump also fired Flynn (SecDef?), fired Reince (CoS) and Spicer (Press Sec), is about to fire Sessions (AG), and has Tillerson (SoS) on the verge of resigning out of frustration. Throw in Mooch and whoever the hell else I'm forgetting about.

I don't think this is an FBI issue. I think this might be a Trump issue.

jtb

Banned
Flynn, Spicer and Reince are not Senate confirmed positions. They're completely irrelevant.

Problem is, you can't blast Trump for ignoring norms and destabilizing the country politically, and then start doing the same thing and saying "well he started it!" as your reasoning. You can't run on being the adults in the room if your plan is to mimic Trump and the GOP.

Also, Comey might be the main reason that Trump gets impeached, so I'd say that republican worked out. Sec Gates probably saved the US hundreds of billions of dollars (and potentially trillions) moving forward by getting rid of cost+ military programs. That's another republican that worked out. I think people forget that the Republican party is divided even more ideologically than the Democratic party currently (crazy OT topics about pro-life Dem nominees notwithstanding)

I think you're missing the point; it's not about Republican or Democrat. This is about a position that should never have been vacant in the first place (!!!)

If Trump can fire Comey and get his preferred replacement no questions asked, then you've completely destroyed any pretense the FBI has of being independent, and the 10 year sentence is a complete sham. This is not a normal nomination! This is not business as usual!

And that's before you even get into the fact that he's almost certainly going to be asked to obstruct justice by the President.

Eh, I don't think the argument is "they started it" as much as "Trump fired the FBI director to obstruct the FBI's investigation of him."

I'm pretty happy to set a precedent of not confirming FBI picks from presidents who are obstructing justice.

I'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't understand how stupid it is to confirm Wray is too stupid to be president.

We need two facts here.

"possibly" is an odd (even though correct) word choice to use considering you're being so matter of fact with your comments.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. Is putting a republican in charge of the FBI bad policy? If it is, why is a republican being fired by a republican? It could be bad politics, but I quite frankly think the purity bullshit is a dangerous path that I want nothing to do with.

Not saying that's a particularly productive tactic, but, well, yes? If you're pandering to Democratic primary voters, why not? Worked for Republicans for 8 years. Think of it as basic cost-benefit for future POTUS candidates-- There's a 0% chance of it bothering anyone and 0 possible votes lost in any primary for going against (or abstaining). If you end up being wrong, it's an instant non-starter for some of the left base.

Has it? It got them elected. They haven't had one piece of conservative legislation to speak of and it's directly related to the fringes gaining control due to purity bullshit.

Imagine a public option on the precipice of passing but we're one vote short because a public option isn't liberal enough and the vote requires single payer.

Chumley

Banned

We need two facts here.

Yep. I don't trust this motherfucker at all. http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/01/politics/christopher-wray-fbi-director/index.html

Lindsey Graham had to ask him almost 3 times if he thought Mueller was on a witch hunt, and when he finally said no it was like it pained him to say it. And then he said he "doesn't know the law" regarding whether Trump can fire Mueller.

Eh, I don't think the argument is "they started it" as much as "Trump fired the FBI director to obstruct the FBI's investigation of him."

I'm pretty happy to set a precedent of not confirming FBI picks from presidents who are obstructing justice.

Hence the circumstances would be legitimately serious if a democrat did it, not like "a democrat DARED to nominate a supreme court justice in an election year!"

ShOcKwAvE

Even a brain surgeon could see that Trump nominated Wray to obstruct justice.

Couple of ideas:

1. Mueller doesn't appear like he'll take shit from anyone. I think if he starts finding roadblocks laid by Wray, we'll find out.
2. Many in Congress have said that another major firing would cross a line. Even if that was just more hot air, the public and media uproar will be huge.

Kusagari

If Wray is found to have obstructed justice by 2020 and you voted for this dude after Trump canned Comey then you're done.

Everyone else in the primary will ravage you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom