• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Holy fuck this miller clip

tfw Jim won't let you live
Dwight-Schrute-Shakes-Head-and-Rolls-Eyes.gif

That Miller talk where he slams the fucking Statue of Liberty.....

Every fucking day. Every fucking day there's just something else that's disgusting and horrible from this piece of shit administration.

jtb

Banned
Sure. I think there are two admirable things about caucuses. The first (and lesser) is that if your candidate clearly doesn't stand a chance, you can reallocate yourself, meaning your vote isn't wasted - they actually use IRV already. But the second (and much more important) is that they're a deliberative process - you get to meet your fellow citizens and try and persuade them of the virtues of your candidate. It makes you an active participant in your political system, rather than a passive voter.

I think that the first can be adequately moved into more conventional election procedures by using IRV. The second would be lost by moving to conventional procedures and there's nothing you can do about that directly, but I think opening the Democratic Party up and making its internal procedures more democratic would suffice as compensation.

Isn't your second reason mutually exclusive with the concept of a secret ballot?

also, why should we combine the process of campaigning with voting into one prolonged procedure?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't your second reason mutually exclusive with the concept of a secret ballot?

No. You can always lie. I might have been a Hill$hill all along! You also don't have to speak - you can choose to remain silent, and that's okay. However, you still have to at least listen.

I mean, they conflict in caucuses, which are imperfect examples of republican democracy, but in general it's perfectly possible to have versions of republican democracy and the secret ballot at the same time.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wait I'm at work, what did he say about Liberty Island? The New Colossus ain't shit?
Basically, the poem associated with the Statue of Liberty doesn't matter because it wasn't there on day one. We should all ignore its message.

On the discussion of how primaries are done, I honestly think you should actually be a member of the party whose primary you wish to participate in. Same day registration sounds really easy to fuck with and astroturf. However, the deadline for registration should be reasonable unlike New York which had an insane deadline to register for the party. A month before the primary date seems reasonable to me..

I don't really see a problem with anything else beyond ending caucuses and doing mail in votes.

The stance makes sense if one considers the bill of rights was not in the constitution from day one either.

I don't know why we care what Stephen Miller thinks anyway. He's from California, which I think you'll find was NOT a state when the Constitution was adopted, which I'm pretty sure makes him not American. That's how this works, right?

Also, how the fuck is that guy only 31? He looks like he's been possessed by the ghost of a 57-year-old Nazi accountant.

Gruco

Banned
538 Aggregate hits a new low at 37. The downward trend is reallllly persistent.

I think the big story in the numbers is pretty simple. A lot of people want to give Trump the benefit of the doubt, or refuse to admit they were wrong. Steady drip of bad news + health care debacle + time would tear anything down, let alone a guy taking office at 45.

I don't see any reason to expect the point a month bleeding to stop. But that means we're sub 30 heading into the mid terms....

I don't know why we care what Stephen Miller thinks anyway. He's from California, which I think you'll find was NOT a state when the Constitution was adopted, which I'm pretty sure makes him not American. That's how this works, right?

Only if we can stop acknowledging the existence of Rhode Island by that measure, too.

If Trump loses to a Democrat in 2020, I wonder what their approval rating looks like. I could see polarization being bad enough that they don't see the usual high 60s that Clinton, Bush and Obama enjoyed at the start of their terms, but Trump is also just such a revolting person I imagine that contributed a much greater deal than just hardcore partisans digging in their heels.

kirblar

What's shocking about the 538 numbers is that there really hasn't been a huge upswing ever. It's a pretty slow, steady decline.
Spotlight effect.

Trump's numbers only ever went up once the media stopped paying direct attention to him.

Any time, either deliberately (RNC) or not (Debates, Access Hollywood, etc.) they always went down.

And in that office, you can't avoid the spotlight!

studyguy

If Trump loses to a Democrat in 2020, I wonder what their approval rating looks like. I could see polarization being bad enough that they don't see the usual high 60s that Clinton, Bush and Obama enjoyed at the start of their terms, but Trump is also just such a revolting person I imagine that contributed a much greater deal than just hardcore partisans digging in their heels.

If Trump loses in 2020, he literally won't exist to the party in 6 months time.

Wilsongt

Basically, the poem associated with the Statue of Liberty doesn't matter because it wasn't there on day one. We should all ignore its message.

Huh.

And we kept making the joke that it only applied to white people.

This administration is truly going to put The Onion out of business.

studyguy

I wonder how his cult of personality will react to that though.

He dragged the national party down so fucking hard I can't imagine anyone even gives a singular fuck about that cult. Like he's literally a losing proposition, better to just do what they usually do and leech off that anger with someone who isn't completely incompetent at the head.

Loxley

Republicans never bring up Bush Jr (well, aside from Lindsey Graham) and he looks like a goddamn saint to the GOP compared to Trump.

Once Trump is out of office it'll be like he never existed, as far as they're concerned. Guaranteed. They're going to try and sweep him under the rug in record time.

JettDash

Republicans never bring up Bush Jr (well, aside from Lindsey Graham) and he looks like a goddamn saint to the GOP compared to Trump.

Once Trump is out of office it'll be like he never existed, as far as they're concerned. Guaranteed. They're going to try and sweep him under the rug in record time.

The last GOP president that they will acknowledge is Ronald Reagan.

If Trump loses in 2020, he literally won't exist to the party in 6 months time.

Maybe? They'll still be forced to appeal to his nationalist base that's basically only upset he's feuding with Sessions.

Like I agree the eGOP will want to distance themselves, but I'm not sure the base will let them.

What about the preamble to the constitution? He have a problem with that?

This is the kind of person that needs to wake up tomorrow naked with no money on the other side of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom