• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Direct vote, not voting for delegates. Use ranked-choice voting. Dramatically telescope the voting process to reduce the costs and therefore the importance of the invisible primary. Abolish superdelegates. Frontload the states that were most marginal in the previous presidential election. Allow people to change party registration on the door, or if not held on the same day as the Repulican primaries, at least until the day before the Republican primaries are held.

So no caucuses, yes?

Primaries tend to produce the best candidate out of the bunch. The thing I like about 2020 already is that while a lot of people are going to run, it's not going to be a repeat of the 2012 GOP primary: a bunch of clowns running as the party tries to defeat a president that is hated by the party's base. Trump is certainly hated by democrats, but just a glance at the list of likely candidates shows an impressive group, unlike 2012.

I'm not worried. The only thing that concerns me is that Booker could potentially have some early advantages, and depending on how the cards fall he could be well positioned to win as other candidates strangle each other. I'd vote for Booker if he wins obviously, I just have concerns about his discipline. And assuming emails are still being hacked, I wouldn't want to risk the farm on his ability to not get caught in some shit.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Stephen Miller has picked a crazy, pedantic fight with Jim Acosta.

Primaries tend to produce the best candidate out of the bunch. The thing I like about 2020 already is that while a lot of people are going to run, it's not going to be a repeat of the 2012 GOP primary: a bunch of clowns running as the party tries to defeat a president that is hated by the party's base. Trump is certainly hated by democrats, but just a glance at the list of likely candidates shows an impressive group, unlike 2012.

Dems don't have the book deal crowd. Our low pollers tend to be issues people looking for visibility.

Dan

OMG, he's jumping on this ludicrous point to play the victimization card.

Cosmopolitan bias!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Direct vote, not voting for delegates. Use ranked-choice voting. Dramatically telescope the voting process to reduce the costs and therefore the importance of the invisible primary. Abolish superdelegates. Frontload the states that were most marginal in the previous presidential election.

I'll never understand the push for ranked-choice voting. All it will do is allow the people obsessed with a candidate to skew the vote by putting the closest-ranked candidates at the bottom of the chart. If you get enough in that small group, it really skews the vote.

bgbball31

What. The. Hell. Was. That?

To steal Ryan Lizza's tweet,

"Press: nobody will top Scaramucci's performance in the briefing room.
Miller: Hold my beer."

Barzul

fuck Stephen Miller. Seriously I think from that performance I hate him more than anyone else in the administration.

Please tell me that bill dies in Congress.

Drensch

Is it possible that these letters from children are just letter from adults that support Trump and they are best that they can find?

Dan

Now Sarah Huckabee Sanders is reading some random letter from a child who wants to mow the White House lawn because he adores Trump. And they're going to invite him to the White House to hang out with the groundskeeper... and this somehow is evidence that the American dream is alive and well.

Dan

Trump did not lie about the Boy Scout phone call. He totally received vague comments through vague communications with vague members of the Boy Scout leadership in the vague aftermath of his speech.

studyguy

While we're on the topic of immigration. Reminder that California has had a farmhand labor shortage going on half a decade now. Getting worse under Trump.

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-farms-immigration/

Before we go into "Pay people more then to do the work" please read the story, it's literally wages going up and growing ops becoming unsustainable along with pressures from Trump administration pushing labor force even further down. Even the bright spots like Napa wineries are paying dudes $20 an hour and it's still not enough to attract labor. The final solutions being simply to go all in on automation, which in the end crowds out smaller growers and just leaves massive operations that can afford it. This is just CA though, nevermind the rest of the country.

In the last five years, he has advertised in local newspapers and accepted more than a dozen unemployed applicants from the state’s job agency. Even when the average rate on his fields was $20 an hour, the U.S.-born workers lost interest, fast.

“We’ve never had one come back after lunch,” he says.

“I think we can eliminate, I’m just guessing, 85% of the labor on these new vineyards,” he says, reducing pruning costs from $300 per acre, on average, to $80. He plans to keep spending more on machinery, like his $350,000 tractor-like vehicle that shakes grapes off the vine and catches them before they fall to the ground.

Now, he’s replanting entire ranches for clients interested in machine-managed vineyards.

Goehring’s long game is hundreds of acres of wine grapes harvested without ever touching human hands. If that doesn’t work, he’d reluctantly replace it all with almonds.

“If we have to, we’d go there,” he says. If filled with nut trees, his entire property could be managed, he says, by three employees.

Direct vote, not voting for delegates. Use ranked-choice voting. Dramatically telescope the voting process to reduce the costs and therefore the importance of the invisible primary. Abolish superdelegates. Frontload the states that were most marginal in the previous presidential election. Allow people to change party registration on the door, or if not held on the same day as the Repulican primaries, at least until the day before the Republican primaries are held.

That sounds like a really exploitable primary.

The more I see people like Miller the happier I am that the country is becoming more diverse at a rate that not even their intolerant and racist policies can stop.

Slacker

Sanders is soooo bad at taking these prepared talking points and not making them sound robotic

That was ridiculous even for her.

Reporter: "Does prez think white people are discriminated against in college admissions."

Huck: "No idea what you're talking about."

Reporter: "Is the justice department moving resources to look at discrimination against white college applications."

Huck: (reads prepared statement on issue)

Dan

The attempt to rationalize Trump signing a bill that he believes is unconstitutional is pathetic.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So no caucuses, yes?

Sure. I think there are two admirable things about caucuses. The first (and lesser) is that if your candidate clearly doesn't stand a chance, you can reallocate yourself, meaning your vote isn't wasted - they actually use IRV already. But the second (and much more important) is that they're a deliberative process - you get to meet your fellow citizens and try and persuade them of the virtues of your candidate. It makes you an active participant in your political system, rather than a passive voter.

I think that the first can be adequately moved into more conventional election procedures by using IRV. The second would be lost by moving to conventional procedures and there's nothing you can do about that directly, but I think opening the Democratic Party up and making its internal procedures more democratic would suffice as compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom