• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I really want Duckworth to run, but there's not really any signs of smoke or anything. From people where there's a definite sign of interest, I'd go with... hmm. Klobuchar if I just wanted a safe win in the bag, Harris if I wanted the closest plausible candidate to me (which is... not very close, but hey).

I hate this nonsense. It's like when left-leaning news outlets invariably endorse "moderate" Republicans in Congress (fuck you Sun-Times for endorsing Dold). He's one more vote for Speaker Ryan. Not to mention he voted for the AHCA.

his wiki page said:
But as of May 8, 2017, Curbelo had voted against his party just 11.8% of the time.[11] During this same period, he voted with Donald Trump's positions 93.8% of the time,[12] although Democrat Hillary Clinton defeated Trump in this district, in the 2016 presidential election, by a result of 161,555 votes to 115,529 votes.[13]
sums it up basically

Kusagari

Curbelo doesn't hate gays and believes in climate change because he basically has to.

These are the extent of his moderate credentials.

Let us all praise the moderate darling.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I got a whole lot wrong about the 2016 cycle, but one thing I did get right was that Walker would flame out early. Having lived in Wisconsin and seeing firsthand the extent to which he coasted on the utter incompetence of the Wisconsin Democratic Party I could tell he stood zero chance in a real race.

Yep. He NEVER answered a question. Never. He would beat around the bush as much as possible that it was obvious he couldn't handle national spotlight.

Somewhat.

Grand Juries have a few functions.

1) Indict. Really unlikely that it was convened for that purpose this early.

2) Authorize subpoenas. This can also be done by judges, but grand juries do it too, and it may happen so that claims of political chicanery are avoided.

3) Hear sworn testimony. I would think this isn't necessary since lying to the FBI itself is a crime, but there may be some reason to get testimony heard by a Grand Jury as well.

My guess is that it's all for the sake of #2, and they're amping up the requests of sensitive material.

Ogodei

Huh, and here i was just going to mention Jim Justice as a possible replacement for Manchin if you needed another Dem to win Senate in WV.

Can't imagine what would prompt him to do this, unless WV's just gone so far into suicidal despair that getting closer to a collapsing star is the preferred option to keeping a safe distance.

Ernest

Banned
Holy shit with the election predictions already!
Ease up, they're still forever away.

Anyhoo, here's shit that's happening NOW!

Report: Mueller Impanels D.C. Grand Jury in Russia Probe

Special Counsel Robert Mueller has impaneled a Washington, D.C. grand jury for his probe of Russia's interference in the 2016 election, the Wall Street Journal reported Thursday. This latest development, the Journal explained, is ”a sign that his inquiry is growing in intensity and entering a new phase." President Trump's lawyer Ty Cobb said in a statement: ”Grand jury matters are typically secret. The White House favors anything that accelerates the conclusion of his work fairly....The White House is committed to fully cooperating with Mr. Mueller." The president, however, has repeatedly called Mueller's investigation a ”witch hunt" and has publicly called into question the former FBI chief's credibility as an impartial investigator.

"Impanels"... sounds painful!

Yep. He NEVER answered a question. Never. He would beat around the bush as much as possible that it was obvious he couldn't handle national spotlight.

He can deliver prepared responses well, but knock him off the script and he sounds like a total idiot, like when he said he would look into the idea of a border wall with Canada when asked about it. Somehow the Wisconsin Dems have never figured this out.

Huh, and here i was just going to mention Jim Justice as a possible replacement for Manchin if you needed another Dem to win Senate in WV.

Can't imagine what would prompt him to do this, unless WV's just gone so far into suicidal despair that getting closer to a collapsing star is the preferred option to keeping a safe distance.

I believe Gallup found WV to be the state with the highest approvals for Trump (I want to say 60%).

DOWN

Banned
How protected am I if I scream at the top of my lungs the next time a coworker is telling everyone that the Democrats signed over our national parks as collateral to China under Clinton in the 90s?

I feel like Justice would be a pretty easy opppnent for Manchin actually. He could attack him as a party switching office hopper.

Like, jumping from winning the governorship as a Democrat to running for Senate as a Republican not even a year later would look really craven.

Incidentally, the governor of West Virginia doesn't have veto power to my recollection, so this would be a fairly cosmetic change - not to say Justice isn't a snake, though.

Nothing really needed to prompt him. Justice isn't really a Democrat or a Republican. He should really just go independent so he can stop switching parties.

Ogodei

He can deliver prepared responses well, but knock him off the script and he sounds like a total idiot, like when he said he would look into the idea of a border wall with Canada when asked about it. Somehow the Wisconsin Dems have never figured this out.

I believe Gallup found WV to be the state with the highest approvals for Trump (I want to say 60%).

Right, but they can't be that far into bizarro territory where their politicians think that shackling yourself to Trump now is going to do you any good in the future. One way or another, Trump has no future.

Incidentally, the governor of West Virginia doesn't have veto power to my recollection, so this would be a fairly cosmetic change - not to say Justice isn't a snake, though.

Party affiliation comes with all sorts of pulls though. Is Justice going to swing farther right along with this?

jtb

Banned
Justice running against Manchin would be a terrible look. Though didn't Manchin appoint himself to the Senate? I forget exactly how that played out.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can improper dismissal be impeachable?

Anything can be impeachable, the standard is up to Congress to determine. They could impeach Trump tomorrow based on his ongoing business dealings while in the White House if they wanted. The Constitution leaves them a ton of wiggle room in determining what constitutes grounds for impeachment.

Trump is going to fire Mueller soon. CNN reporting just confirmed the investigation is now following the money.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/03/polit...ssia-trump-one-year-financial-ties/index.html

If he does fire Mueller and his team we should expect the mother of all leaks. Mueller's at the point where he's bringing in a grand jury, so he's got enough to start issuing subpoenas and compelling testimony. That shit takes evidence.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
The Mueller news dropping today sure is nice to hear. Now we just need that bill to pass that protects him and I can sleep a little easier.

edit:

lol, holy shit I hadn't seen this before I posted. This is way better than "nice to hear".

Kusagari

Nothing really needed to prompt him. Justice isn't really a Democrat or a Republican. He should really just go independent so he can stop switching parties.

Yeah, I just find this weird considering how he's governed. He's shit on Republicans as much as he has Democrats while in office.

It's part of the reason I thought of the 2018 Senate run, because craven intentions like that would make sense.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, CNN's chyron is kind of amazing.

"CNN: Mueller Crosses Trump's Red Line as Russia Investigation Follows the Money"

Cross-the-Line-326x245.jpg

barber

Best timing.

Can we get a "you are fired!" on a tv speech? That would be one for the ages.
Edit: Not as in something good, but rather as the biggest shit storm possible. Trump is already pissed off with eGOP after the Healthcare debacle (which he probably also blames for his even worse poll numbers) and the Russia stuff, so I can see something happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom