• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
Interestingly, Kelly personally called Sessions to assure him that his job is safe. I wonder how much longer that will remain true.

I find it more a possibility for trump to just say I PARDON EVERYONE SO LETS MOVE ON than him to fire sessions and try to get Muller out.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The DEA is a huge reason it's not moving for sure

Even under my ideal drug legalization scenario, there would still be a need for a sizeable DEA. Drugs like Heroin or Fentanyl are simply not, and will likely never be, candidates for legalization.

There would be a downsizing of the department over many years though. The department should ideally transition into addiction treatment and education with (actually) fact based information. Subsidizing mental health might be more effective.

Barzul

I forget who said this but the legacy of Trump's presidency will be hardening of soft norms. Congress has typically deferred easing sanction power to the executive for example, past presidents have been able to can special prosecutors but have never actually done it bar Nixon(?). Now Congress is working on a bill to add judicial review and more protections for special prosecutors. I think this is a good thing ultimately but a shame we elected a president so terrible it was needed.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I'm so nervous he's going to get rid of Mueller after today's developments.

Even under my ideal drug legalization scenario, there would still be a need for a sizeable DEA. Drugs like Heroin or Fentanyl are simply not, and will likely never be, candidates for legalization.

There would be a downsizing of the department over many years though. The department should ideally transition into addiction treatment and education with (actually) fact based information. Subsidizing mental health might be more effective.

Like I'm' right there with you accept I disagree wholeheartedly that drugs like heroin shouldn't be legalized. If you want to keep sales illicit, that's one thing, but use should absolutely be decriminalized. I honestly would rather it be legal and taxed and then have all the money raised spent on getting people off of addiction. We spend billions upon billion on the prevention of sales and usage never drops. Further more, I don't feel like people who do drugs are criminals. They're people with addiction problems. I feel like making the consumption and purchase of something like heroin legally punishable is actually the less humane way of dealing with the heroin addict.

In short, my vision of a drug policy is, one where we re-purpose the DEA so that it's a self funded addiction clinic for the nation.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Top Dem Wants Congress to Investigate Trump Transcript Leaks

Like I said earlier, it's one thing for the broad strokes to leak and the entire transcript recorded by the NSC.

It shows that people with access to that information are really worried about someone as inept as Trump handling foreign affairs.

On the other hand, I understand why Mark Warner wants an investigation. As it would be a huge fucking concern if it happened to any other president.

I forget who said this but the legacy of Trump's presidency will be hardening of soft norms. Congress has typically deferred easing sanction power to the executive for example, past presidents have been able to can special prosecutors but have never actually done it bar Nixon(?). Now Congress is working on a bill to add judicial review and more protections for special prosecutors. I think this is a good thing ultimately but a shame we elected a president so terrible it was needed.
Yeah. Other things I think we might see are giving more teeth to the various ethics rules and regulations and perhaps a requirement that presidential candidates disclose the past 5-10 years of their tax returns.

Suikoguy

Like I'm' right there with you accept I disagree wholeheartedly that drugs like heroin shouldn't be legalized. If you want to keep sales illicit, that's one thing, but use should absolutely be decriminalized. I honestly would rather it be legal and taxed and then have all the money raised spent on getting people off of addiction. We spend billions upon billion on the prevention of sales and usage never drops. Further more, I don't feel like people who do drugs are criminals. They're people with addiction problems. I feel like making the consumption and purchase of something like heroin legally punishable is actually the less humane way of dealing with the heroin addict.

In short, my vision of a drug policy is, one where we re-purpose the DEA so that it's a self funded addiction clinic for the nation.

Putting people in Jail for using illegal drugs does not solve anything, that I agree with.
Compulsory addiction programs that may or may not include incarceration during treatment would be one alternative.

Off the top of my head, i'd also like to see Mushrooms/LSD legalized in some way. The possibility of treatment for psychological conditions from Mushrooms and LSD are significant. Perhaps for use under controlled conditions, with licensed attendant/guide? Pharma grade Ecstasy also seems pretty safe with proper consumer education.

Kusagari

Abby D. Phillip‏Verified account @abbydphillip 54m54 minutes ago
More
Per a Dem official, @WVGovernor Jim Justice didn't notify his staff that he would be switching parties at Trump's rally tonight.

Justice: SURPRISE BITCHES

Allard

It shows that people with access to that information are really worried about someone as inept as Trump handling foreign affairs.

On the other hand, I understand why Mark Warner wants an investigation. As it would be a huge fucking concern if it happened to any other president.

It should be investigated, and I am glad the Dems are the ones spearheading this one. As interesting and revolting as that transcript was coming from Trump there is a reason we don't usually get private conversation transcripts. They are created to protect the integrity of the conversation and not to be published publicly. There are many things about the president himself that shouldn't be considered business as usual, that doesn't mean people behind the scenes should get the ability to change how they do business as usual in response, it undermines not just the president but the whole foreign affairs departments now and in the future.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Neither is Gillibrand.

It almost goes without saying that the left really don't like Gillibrand.

At least amongst most progressives I know, Harris is accepted as the least-bad option of those who've shown hints of running. I don't think her background is problematic as long as she addresses it; it's much more excusable than Booker, Patrick, and Gillibrand.

Putting people in Jail for using illegal drugs does not solve anything, that I agree with.
Compulsory addiction programs that may or may not include incarceration during treatment would be one alternative.

Off the top of my head, i'd also like to see Mushrooms/LSD legalized in some way. The possibility of treatment for psychological conditions from Mushrooms and LSD are significant. Perhaps for use under controlled conditions, with licensed attendant/guide? Pharma grade Ecstasy also seems pretty safe with proper consumer education.

It sucks we're discussing pie in the sky scenarios while hoping for something obvious like legal pot to come to fruition. O well lol

pigeon

Banned
DGVjGQGVwAAJqzw

This...seems like a big deal.

I feel like you're dancing around the point here with regards to this article deliberately taking aim at black progressive politicians.
It's specifically referring to the comments about how the left is taking aim at black Democrats and pointing out the substantive criticisms being made of those three. I mean, criticizing Booker and Patrick isn't even that controversial, plenty of people were saying running Patrick for president would be a terrible idea in this thread because of working with Bain, and Booker has some fans but isn't really a favorite in this thread either, which is much more sympathetic to his brand of politics than the left. I don't even hold any strong opinions on Harris but any time she's criticized it inevitably turns into the "far left" already getting into "purity testing" her or whatever.

If Bullock and Hickenlooper start being groomed by Obamaworld for a run I'm sure they'll face the same sort of scrutiny.

Like the left circles I follow fucking love Sawant and Lumumba and hate Cuomo.

avaya

DGVjGQGVwAAJqzw

This...seems like a big deal.

The problem is even if those intercepts have him on the phone actually colluding I don't think they are admissible in court. They need other corroborating evidence. I could have this wrong and it wouldn't matter....

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Harris is probably in the best position to take the left flank of the notables who are clearly running, but I think she has three key weaknesses, which are:

1. The Mnuchin funding issue.
2. Her track record as AG.
3. Her lukewarm healthcare stance.

All of those can be relatively easily fixed. If she avers big money donations and announces she won't be using a PAC, comes out as substantively in favour of singlepayer, and talks criminal justice reform, she can play off the former as not knowing better (as it's broadly speaking a single incident) and the latter two as 'evolutions', but they're relatively understandable ones.

Her history isn't as developed as Gillibrand, who comes across as a snake oil saleswoman, nor does she have ties quite as difficult for the left to swallow as Booker or Patrick. It's a good position to be in.

Of couse, Sanders' support was always a mix of the left and voters more motivated by anti-establishment sentiment than any coherent ideology, and I think pretty much any Democratic politician will struggle to capture the latter, and Harris especially so by virtue of the ease and comfort of her upbringing and her life to date. But there's no clear candidate who can get that second group as well as Sanders could, so that's not really a criticism of her so much as it is of the whole Democratic frontline.

I wish Jacobin, TYT, etc. would hold Republicans to the same high standards they hold Democrats~

I mean TYT is garbage arbage trash, but I think Jacobin is of the opinion that all Republicans are evil, and with Democrats, they want to hold their feet to the fire to be better.

It sucks we're discussing pie in the sky scenarios while hoping for something obvious like legal pot to come to fruition. O well lol

Don't be too pessimistic, psilocybin is in phase 3 trials for cancer related anxiety/depression, and I'm sure there are trials for LSD/etc. (too lazy to look up on clinicaltrials.gov). Ketamine is gonna be done with phase 3 trials with what seems like good data. Hopefully there will be a nice psychiatric renaissance (though all of these treatments would be at a center/hospital where you can be observed and coached through it).

On opiates: opiates are pretty addictive and have a crappy therapeutic index but generally cause little bodily harm unlike alcohol/nicotine (nicotine is a decent bit more addictive than any other mainstream drug) baring any impurities. A lot of problems with opiate harm could be curtailed by legalization/regulation before even getting into why opiates are so addictive and why it would be very difficult to put the opiate genie back in the bottle.

Maengun1

If someone told me 2 years ago I'd be this thankful for and supportive of Joe Manchin in 2017.....whew lol

I assume this Jim Justice/Trump stunt is part of some sort of attempt to push him as well ...imagine the shitshow if they got him to flip on ACA

I wish Jacobin, TYT, etc. would hold Republicans to the same high standards they hold Democrats~

jacobin's actually been fairly consistent as far as i've read, it's mostly TYT (and the intercept) that are hypocritical gutter trash (no offense meant to the canadian neogaf user)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom