• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, but they can't be that far into bizarro territory where their politicians think that shackling yourself to Trump now is going to do you any good in the future. One way or another, Trump has no future.

Sadly, WV probably is far enough into bizarro territory that hitching your wagon to Trump's has the potential to pay off despite all the bad news for him and his efforts to take away health care from a bunch of the state.

Reminder that WV was one of six states (plus DC) that went for Carter in 1980 and one of ten (plus DC) that Dukakis won in 1988. Election night coverage in 1992 basically treated Clinton winning West Virginia the same as him winning Massachusetts. Of course he would win such a strongly Democratic state. On the other hand, winning Vermont and New Jersey were treated as examples of Clinton pulling off wins in deep Republican territory.

Sadly, WV probably is far enough into bizarro territory that hitching your wagon to Trump's has the potential to pay off despite all the bad news for him and his efforts to take away health care from a bunch of the state.

Reminder that WV was one of six states (plus DC) that went for Carter in 1980 and one of ten (plus DC) that Dukakis won in 1988. Election night coverage in 1992 basically treated Clinton winning West Virginia the same as him winning Massachusetts. Of course he would win such a strongly Democratic state. On the other hand, winning Vermont and New Jersey were treated as examples of Clinton pulling off wins in deep Republican territory.

That was like 30 years ago. You might as well talk about the solid south going for Democrats.

“This is yet a further sign that there is a long-term, large-scale series of prosecutions being contemplated and being pursued by the special counsel,” said Stephen I. Vladeck, a law professor at the University of Texas. “If there was already a grand jury in Alexandria looking at Flynn, there would be no need to reinvent the wheel for the same guy. This suggests that the investigation is bigger and wider than Flynn, perhaps substantially so.”

Thomas Zeno, a federal prosecutor for 29 years before becoming a lawyer at the Squire Patton Boggs law firm, said the grand jury is “confirmation that this is a very vigorous investigation going on.”

“This doesn’t mean he is going to bring charges,” Mr. Zeno cautioned. “But it shows he is very serious. He wouldn’t do this if it were winding down.”

Another sign the investigation is ramping up: Greg Andres, a top partner in a powerhouse New York law firm, Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP, has joined Mr. Mueller’s team.

Mr. Andres, a former top Justice Department official who also oversaw the criminal division of the U.S. attorney’s office in Brooklyn, wouldn’t leave his private-sector job for a low-level investigation, Mr. Zeno said.

“People like Greg Andres don’t leave private practice willy-nilly,” Mr. Zeno said. “The fact he is being added after couple of months shows how serious this is and that it could last a long time.”

Mr. Andres couldn't be reached for comment.

Not
fucking
around

Justice running against Manchin would be a terrible look. Though didn't Manchin appoint himself to the Senate? I forget exactly how that played out.
Manchin didn't appoint himself when Byrd died, he appointed Carte Goodwin. Then he ran in the special election in 2010 to serve the rest of Byrd's term, and was elected to a full term in 2012.

how do I get jury duty
By registering to vote!

So uhh...Trump is going to see all this right before the rally with Jim Justice.

This might be one for the ages.
Justice:

tumblr_nahh7dl6mX1twe13wo1_500.gif

That was like 30 years ago. You might as well talk about the solid south going for Democrats.

That's the point. Things change. It's just interesting watching old TV coverage (well, I think it's interesting) and looking at it both in light of how it contrasts to now and how it relates to what came before. WV going Democratic in 1992 was seen as a foregone conclusion. VT going Democratic was a big deal because it was only the second time ever. Now WV is the state where Trump is most popular and VT is the state where he's least popular per Gallup (ignoring margin of error). You can see a lot of elements of today's political map emerging in 1992.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm somewhat surprised at how fast this Mueller thing is going. I agree with royalan--this leak seems like a trap for Trump. Like they're daring him to go after firing Mueller.

kirblar

Dems are at 69% on some form of Marijuana legalization? Definitely the untapped "duh" issue. (and the sure fire "HOW YOU DOING FELLOW KIDS" issue to use.)

Dems are at 69% on some form of Marijuana legalization? Definitely the untapped "duh" issue. (and the sure fire "HOW YOU DOING FELLOW KIDS" issue to use.)

What are the estimates for nationwide pot use and total tax dollars that could be raised upon federal law changes? I know that the estimate grows when you consider the lack of money we would have to spend on preventing current illicit sales.

I really have no idea why this issue hasn't been tapped harder either. Though public perception seems to be changing at a pace faster than the politics of it wants to admit.

kirblar

What are the estimates for nationwide pot use and total tax dollars that could be raised upon federal law changes? I know that the estimate grows when you consider the lack of money we would have to spend on preventing current illicit sales.

I really have no idea why this issue hasn't been tapped harder either. Though public perception seems to be changing at a pace faster than the politics of it wants to admit.
I think there's an age/gender gap here that's been causing issues w/ getting on top of it.

I wonder if nobody wants to pull the plug on all the jobs at DEA that would go with legalization.

We've seen in Colorado that legalization works in creating a legal market that's prioritized over the black market. It's like I told my parents years ago, if I can go get it at a place where it was grown with love and care and is top quality, why would I meet some sketchy guy to buy inferior product? A major contributing factor to the opiod epidemic is that so much legal weed comes from California and Colorado to the rest of the country that the cartels weren't making money and razed their marijuana fields to plant poppies. It's the cash crop of like, 11 states when you include it despite its illegality.

Not to mention the oodles and oodles of tax revenue that it brings in with a sin tax.

I just don't see why anyone hesitates on this at all So I assume it's gotta be a case of not wanting to downsize a federal agency.

I wonder if nobody wants to pull the plug on all the jobs at DEA that would go with legalization.

We've seen in Colorado that legalization works in creating a legal market that's prioritized over the black market. It's like I told my parents years ago, if I can go get it at a place where it was grown with love and care and is top quality, why would I meet some sketchy guy to buy inferior product? A major contributing factor to the opiod epidemic is that so much legal weed comes from California and Colorado to the rest of the country that the cartels weren't making money and razed their marijuana fields to plant poppies. It's the cash crop of like, 11 states when you include it despite its illegality.

Not to mention the oodles and oodles of tax revenue that it brings in with a sin tax.

I just don't see why anyone hesitates on this at all So I assume it's gotta be a case of not wanting to downsize a federal agency.

The DEA is a huge reason it's not moving for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom