• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

There is a lot of this. Take the recall of Gray Davis and election of Schwarzenegger. You see the same thing in reverse in red states, see Louisiana.

The difference is that Bobby Jindal put Louisiana on the brink of insolvency with his Norquist bullshit. What did O'Malley do to get Larry Hogan elected?

If a woman wins the Democratic nomination in 2020, does she pick a woman as VP, or is that a nonstarter at this point?

I don't think we'll see an all female ticket this soon. It would probably be someone from the Midwest. Franken or Brown would be my guess.

On another note, I would love to see a Franken/Pence debate, though a Franken/Trump debate would be even better.

kirblar

The difference is that Bobby Jindal put Louisiana on the brink of insolvency with his Norquist bullshit. What did O'Malley do to get Larry Hogan elected?
https://www.vox.com/2014/11/6/7159239/rain-tax

4) How does the tax work, exactly?
Under House Bill 987, the ten largest and most urbanized jurisdictions in Maryland need to impose impervious surface fees. The law does not specify the level of the fee, only that the counties in question must set a fee to raise enough revenue to finance cleanup projects needed to meet targets set out in the Chesapeake Clean Water Blueprint.

Consequently, the fee structure varies quite a bit from place to place. This variability has arguably contributed to the tax's unpopularity. Marylanders discover that not only are they paying an unwelcome fee, but that the amount of money they need to pay may be quite different from what a coworker or friend in another county is paying. This is just a result of administrative decentralization, but it comes across as arbitrary, unfair, or confusing to some.
Taxing only the largest deep blue areas and letting them set their own rates? That didn't go over well.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't care if Baker wins re-election. He'll have a veto-proof democratic majority that will keep any potential shenanigans to a minimum. I just hope to jebus he doesn't run against Warren, since it seems Massachusettians aren't really smitten by her. She's going to have enough trouble running against that shithead Curt Schilling.

Bishman

It's really annoying to see leftist thinkpieces and twitter threads crying about how Clinton megadonors are already lining up to anoint Kamala Harris as the 2020 nominee. Motherfuckers, I was on the Kamala train months before these Clinton donors did shit!

Kamala is lukewarm on health care? Gillibrand is a snake oil saleswoman?!
These leftist thinkpieces need to leave Kamala Harris alone. And Blader I've been on the Kamala train as well. They are going to piss off the black and young voters with this bullshit.

pigeon

Banned
I don't agree with the article and have no love for Ryan Cooper. I don't get why you're being so antagonistic. Everybody in this thread can agree that it's a bad look.

Because people aren't agreeing to that. That's the whole point.

Ironically, I actually mostly like Ryan Cooper. I just think this was kind of a racist thing to write.

and the GOP does have 4 more legislatures than the 34 listed: Montana, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and North Carolina.

So they could do it now if they wanted to. They won't because a Convention would be chaos that no-one would be able to control and god knows what would come out of it.

No, they're one state legislature away from doing it.

Also, they won't do it even if they had the chambers because of the unintended consequences, which is why a ton of Republican dominated chambers voted against it.

Turned it on for 2 seconds and couldn't take it anymore. I seriously can't listen to him without screaming at my TV like I'm watching a UFC fight

I don't care if Baker wins re-election. He'll have a veto-proof democratic majority that will keep any potential shenanigans to a minimum. I just hope to jebus he doesn't run against Warren, since it seems Massachusettians aren't really smitten by her. She's going to have enough trouble running against that shithead Curt Schilling.

Warren's approvals are fine and Republicans aren't flipping a Senate seat in Massachusetts in a midterm year with Donald Trump in the White House. She would beat Schilling with no trouble whatsoever and Baker isn't going to give up a safe governor's seat to take on an incumbent in the Senate in a bad cycle. I would worry about nearly every incumbent up in 2018 before I'd worry about Warren.

DGQUYDxVwAAcGN9.jpg:large

There's this weird phenomena on the left that with one shitty poll, it sticks in people's minds and they assume Democratic senators are massively unpopular.

She's going to have enough trouble running against that shithead Curt Schilling.

you know what I said about Baker? that goes double for Warren

(Schilling isn't actually running but every poll with a Warren/Schilling race had her up between 20-35. the actual announced candidates are both down 30+)

There's this weird phenomena on the left that with one shitty poll, it sticks in people's minds and they assume Democratic senators are massively unpopular.

This is apparently also true of Democratic senators.

I can't remember where I heard it (The Weeds, maybe), but there's an actual measurable effect where Democratic elected officials believe themselves and their positions to be less popular than they really are.

We need a party-wide confidence boost, I guess.

As I recall, the concern over Warren was mostly based on an unusual question about whether someone else "deserves a chance" which is really hard to interpret without the context of it being asked of other incumbents and seeing how they did. Conceivably someone could answer that someone else deserves a chance when they mean "I'm probably going to vote to re-elect but I'll hear her opponent out before deciding."

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Warren's approvals are fine and Republicans aren't flipping a Senate seat in Massachusetts in a midterm year with Donald Trump in the White House. She would beat Schilling with no trouble whatsoever and Baker isn't going to give up a safe governor's seat to take on an incumbent in the Senate in a bad cycle. I would worry about nearly every incumbent up in 2018 before I'd worry about Warren.

you know what I said about Baker? that goes double for Warren

(Schilling isn't actually running but every poll with a Warren/Schilling race had her up between 20-35. the actual announced candidates are both down 30+)

Huh. Oh, well in that case, good to hear.

Yeah the thought of the opposition being close having the numbers to amend the constitution is crazy

But at the same time this current Republican Party can't seemingly put together a budget they can agree on. I can't even fucking imagine how them even attempting something like this would go down

I thought they realistically need 38 to ratify anything? So yeah they can call for one but no Democratic Legislature would go along with whatever crazy proposals they come up with and they are out luck with the 1/2 control in the rest.

Calling for a convention just puts more of a spotlight on state houses as well. I know quite a few people from voter outreach groups that don't realize they have to vote for a state legislature as well as federal. But a giant "oh shit this thing that hasn't happened in decades might go down, and it'll be GOP lead!" narrative would probably do them more harm than any possible amendment they'd be able to pass.

I think if I was a GOP strategist, I'd be coasting on state houses. They've quietly been able to block federal action from the Dems for years because of it. No reason to risk that for some hail marys.

edit:

"To look at a real estate deal on April 14th, 2007 at the Trump Hotel *cough*room 207*cough* would be way outside the scope of the mandate."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom