• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how he smashed flip phone, and somehow an amateur-tier kendo stick-looking-thing was available in his office-- Simultaneously hilarious and creepy! Doing it in one take and cutting up the backdrop adds authenticity. Would have been funnier if it was before the part of the primaries where it wasn't extremely evident that Trump would get the nomination.

Senate blocking recess appointments is a GOP Obama-era tactic and is just procedural bullshit. But hey, they used it in the Senate minority, so fair's fair.

Commence the Trump golfing jokes! I'm sure there are plenty of video clips of him talking shit about Obama golfing. We're so fucked if there's a national emergency. Imagine being the poor staffer that has to hunt down Trump out on the course and tell him something terrible. Much respect to the media for piling on oppo the day before he left for vacation.

Trumps immigration bill is such a waste of time I'm glad he and his dumb staff are focusing on it instead of doing stuff that actually will pass congress and hurt people.

jtb

Banned
Someone please comfort me and tell me why Sherrod Brown is in a stronger position than Feingold in 2010 or Daschle in 2004.

I'm still shook by Feingold's loss in 2016 :(

Wilsongt

I wonder if anyone explained to Cheeto Fuhrer that when Congress is in recess that it doesn't mean the president goes on vacation?

Oh, wait. Of course not because he is surrounded by idiots.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I love how Fox News desperately tries to make "Calexit" a legitimate possibility because they know how devastating it would be to democrats.

DGYQalsXkAAp3-t.jpg:large

#winning

Thaedolus

He can still fire anyone, just can't replace that person without a Senate confirmation.

More difficult, not impossible.
There's a bill to protect special counsels but it hasn't been voted.

He'd have to fire Sessions and Rosenstein and keep going until someone agreed to fire Mueller for cause. It's an extremely unlikely almost impossible event and if this happened, the government would come to a grinding halt until Trump is removed from office. He's probably getting this explained to him daily. It's not going to happen.

Thaedolus

How low do you guys think trumps approval rating would have to drop for a republican senate to convict?

25%?

It depends on how open and shut the treason case is, if there is a pee pee tape, how much of the rumors of his financial crimes and mob connections turn out to be true, if any of the whack job theories about underage sex trafficking are true...

He's certainly guilty of obstruction of justice and abuse of power, it just seems like those don't matter at this point. But if it can be shown he's not only a career criminal but a pervert, on tape, then he's for sure donezo. But he'd probably resign first

How low do you guys think trumps approval rating would have to drop for a republican senate to convict?

25%?

It depends with whom his approval drops. If the Republican primary electorate is still polling in the high 80s, even with everyone else at 10-15%, they'll keep backing him. Because the lesson they've learned over the last decade is that those are the voters they're really accountable to.

Blader

Nixon's approval ratings were 24-25 percent, and his disapprovals in the mid-60s, when he resigned. For Trump's approvals to go that low means his approvals among the base would need to crater too.

People should stop shitting on Bernie for the way he votes. It's a bit needless and useless now.

Bernie is one of the highest-profile Democrats in the country, is a part of Senate Democratic leadership, and is one of the biggest potential 2020 candidates. How he votes now is going to, deservedly, come under 1000x more scrutiny than how he voted up until 2-3 years ago.

chadskin

Two Republican House Intelligence Committee staffers traveled to London earlier this summer to track down the former British intelligence operative who compiled a controversial dossier on President Donald Trump and Russia, according to three people familiar with the matter.

The previously unreported trip underscores the importance of the 35-page dossier Christopher Steele wrote last year to Congressional probes into possible collusion between Moscow and the 2016 Trump campaign.

It has also inflamed simmering tensions between House and Senate investigators as they pursue parallel probes into the Trump-Russia connection. House Intelligence Committee Republicans did not tell Democrats on the House panel, the Senate Intelligence Committee nor special counsel Robert Mueller’s office that the investigators were pursuing Steele.

The House staffers left their contact information at two addresses associated with Steele, a former agent for Britain’s MI6 foreign intelligence service. One of those locations was Steele’s lawyer’s office, where the former spy was meeting with his counsel when the House investigators showed up.

Senate officials—whom NBC News has reported were negotiating their own interview with Steele—fear the aggressive move could spook Steele and derail his potential cooperation with their own probe.
The London trip has also angered Democrats in both chambers of Congress, who were not consulted by their colleagues before the investigators knocked on Steele’s door. Democrats fear House investigators are more interested in discrediting the dossier than trying to substantiate its allegations.

Some Republicans, meanwhile, distrust their Democratic colleagues—suspecting them of maintaining a back channel to Steele to discuss the allegations in the dossier, something the Republicans say would be inappropriate.
Adding to the tensions is a third investigation by the Justice Department-appointed special counsel, Robert Mueller, which covers much of the same ground.

The Senate panel is “taking pains” not to conflict with Mueller’s investigation, according to one of several officials who spoke to POLITICO and who confirmed that assessment.

The House panel, meanwhile, is checking in with Mueller when it pursues witnesses, but is not concerned with staying out of Mueller’s lane.

“We’re not putting the brakes on our investigation just because Mueller wants something,” the congressional official said.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/04/trump-steele-dossier-russia-241299

Idiots.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So republicans are actively trying to hamper the investigation behind the scenes. Beautiful. I still say their actions point to many more Republican politicians being either A) complicit in this, or B) scared Russia will leak what they hacked from the RNC.

It should be illegal for any actions to take place by members of the committee without full committee approval.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
People should stop shitting on Bernie for the way he votes. It's a bit needless and useless now.

It's especially weird given that on both the recent votes he's received flak for, he's been on the right side. Not aggravating your closest ally and not voting to make the FDA more closely intertwined with the pharmaceutical industry are both good things!

"If" there's an obstruction of justice or money-laundering charge, I don't think it will be murky enough for Republican Congresspeople to be eyeballing approval ratings when considering whether to impeach and convict. Either they're going to tell the country it's okay for the President to flagrantly obstruct justice, or not.

Collusion investigation itself is more likely to end in a Comey-esque stern dressing down.

Also please don't speculate on issues generated entirely from disinformation campaigns

Someone please comfort me and tell me why Sherrod Brown is in a stronger position than Feingold in 2010 or Daschle in 2004.

2010 and 2004 were substantially less favorable than Democrats than 2018 looks to be, like if Feingold had been in Baldwin's seat I guarantee you he would be running for reelection right now. If some bad polls for Brown start coming out, then you should worry.

Senate blocks Trump from making recess appointments over break

I think by doing this, they have prevented Trump from being able to fire Sessions, only to replace him with someone who can fire Mueller. Though I may be wrong.

Not quite accurate. If Trump fires Sessions, Rosenstein is acting AG and can fire Mueller. If he won't, Trump can fire him and then the person under him is acting AG and can fire Mueller. Repeat until someone on the chain agrees. You don't need to confirm a new AG because there's no difference between an acting AG and a confirmed one.

Of course, Trump repeating the Saturday Night Massacre would be a big deal!

I don't see how the renewal of the user fee program makes the FDA any more intertwined. It just doesn't dissociate it further, and in the process slow down pharmaceutical, biologic and device approvals unless I suppose the federal government plugs that gap. But his vote really meant zero to passage anyway so whatever.

Not during a democratic presidency like in 2010 or in a year where a republican wins the presidency like in 04

2010 and 2004 were substantially less favorable than Democrats than 2018 looks to be, like if Feingold had been in Baldwin's seat I guarantee you he would be running for reelection right now. If some bad polls for Brown start coming out, then you should worry.
All of this and Mandel is generally viewed as a brat even amongst Gopper voters.

Sherrod is capable of winning over white working class and the union voters that still exist in Ohio. The one person that would have hands down beaten Sherrod was Kasich.

Of all the Dems that are in vulnerable states, Sherrod should probably be lower on the lists of ones to worry about unless more polling shows us a reason to be concerned.

Not quite accurate. If Trump fires Sessions, Rosenstein is acting AG and can fire Mueller. If he won't, Trump can fire him and then the person under him is acting AG and can fire Mueller. Repeat until someone on the chain agrees. You don't need to confirm a new AG because there's no difference between an acting AG and a confirmed one.

Thanks for clarifying :)

Part of me wants him to try, just for shit storm he would bring down on himself.

So republicans are actively trying to hamper the investigation behind the scenes. Beautiful. I still say their actions point to many more Republican politicians being either A) complicit in this, or B) scared Russia will leak what they hacked from the RNC.

It should be illegal for any actions to take place by members of the committee without full committee approval.

Have you ever considered Occam's Razor here?

They might simply be dumb.

Anecdotally speaking, from what most of my DC friends tell me, this is most likely the truth.

JP_

Banned
Is there any evidence of this dem backchannel or is this just your typical right wing conspiracy?

Anecdotally speaking, from what most of my DC friends tell me, this is most likely the truth.
Or both. Just think back to all the hearings where republicans showed a clear bias toward finding out more about the leaks and basically didn't care or tried to downplay anything pointing to Russia collusion or even interference.

Plinko

I don't know if I'd say dumb, but just highly and blindly partisan.

Rosenstein can already fire Mueller because Sessions has recused himself from the investigation. Replacing Sessions is a way to go around Rosenstein.

Thaedolus

I don't see how the renewal of the user fee program makes the FDA any more intertwined. It just doesn't dissociate it further, and in the process slow down pharmaceutical, biologic and device approvals unless I suppose the federal government plugs that gap. But his vote really meant zero to passage anyway so whatever.

Wait what? Last I heard FDA funding renewal passed. Actually super relevant to my job because I have a submission about to go in to them and if the reviewers all get shit canned it will delay a major launch.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Wait what? Last I heard FDA funding renewal passed. Actually super relevant to my job because I have a submission about to go in to them and if the reviewers all get shit canned it will delay a major launch.

It did pass; that was part of what the conversation was about.

EDIT: beaten like a mule, this is what happens when I go for a coffee mid-post

Rosenstein can already fire Mueller because Sessions has recused himself from the investigation. Replacing Sessions is a way to go around Rosenstein.

Right, true. But Trump can't fire Rosenstein because Sessions has that authority. If Trump wants Mueller gone, he'd need to fire both of them at least.

Ernest

Banned
Is Schindler mostly full of shit, because I would fucking LOVE for this to be true - a nice cherry on top of yesterday's news:

John Schindler
✔
@20committee

#NSA friends tell me they have Hannity in OPERATIONAL calls with known RIS agents. Team Mueller has it all. He is going down. SAD!

Just think about this. If Trump literally did nothing for the past 6 months and avoided media as much as possible at this point his approval rating would actually be high. Economy is doing well and usually that's all that matters. Pretty much everything going against Trump is self inflicted...

It's especially weird given that on both the recent votes he's received flak for, he's been on the right side. Not aggravating your closest ally and not voting to make the FDA more closely intertwined with the pharmaceutical industry are both good things!

I'll never get how anyone would expect any country to put their allies ahead of their own interests, it makes zero sense.

And Bernie makes statement votes when he knows the outcome, it's toothless and meaningless.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't be surprised if hannity knowingly participated in disinformation campaigns (see Seth rich garbage) but he would have gotten his direction from the trump camp not the Russians directly.

fake edit:
|OT5.2| I'll trade you my mint Joe Scarborough for your Jim Justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom