• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
According to some generational theory, Gen X supposedly fits into the role of a "lost" generation. Going by the theory they would have grown up in the shadow of the Baby Boomers but not fully benefited from the wealth the Boomers had locked up and refused to pass along. Compared to the next wave, Gen X would have been there to personally see the greed taking over, and"fuck you, got mine" starting to grip society. They would have a hazy awareness of what it was like before, and feel cheated by having it snatched away just as they arrived.

They are supposedly the "latch key kid" generation, often growing up when the traditional family was disintegrating and having to raise themselves. They didn't benefit from the social environment that middle class Boomers did.

As part of Gen X, I can say that matches my personal experience, latch key kid and all. Again, according to Strauss Howe generational theory, Gen X would be a group of wanderers, often highly artistic and philosophical because they had to find a way to come to grips with the world on their own. They have the potential to act as mentors to the following generations when the crash the Baby Boomers helped engineer finally hits.

I do know at least that everyone I know that's my age is pretty much a pillar of white hot rage at what's going on. To say they are politically activated is an understatement.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The Daily Caller @DailyCaller
Dershowitz: ‘Ethnic And Racial Composition’ Of Mueller’s Jury Pool Stacks Deck Against Trump (link: http://trib.al/ackec6V) trib.al/ackec6V
lol
centuries of blacks being judged by all white juries > ok
One white dude gets a multi ethnic jury > THE DECK IS STACKED

And I'm surprised that there hasn't been a massive drop among the Silent Generation yet.
It's percent of eligible. Even if half of them died the remaining ones can still turn out at similar rates.

Ernest

Banned
Overall, how liberal is Generation X? Nobody ever talks about them. If Millennials follow the same turnout path as Gen X did, then 2020 should see a huge surge among Millennial voters. They're also turning out higher than Gen X was twelve years in since they started polling them. Maybe we'll finally see that mythical demographic changes we've been hoping for.
As a Gen Xer myself (born in '72), I have the say that we're sorta liberal, but we're kinda more racist than the generations flanking us, as unlike both boomers and millennials, racial issues weren't something that we grew up considering, so, progressively, we're a little behind the curve on than front. But unlike boomers, we're far less rigid as to societal norms. We're far more "post modern" than either generation, meaning we see things in a less binary fashion, where there aren't easy "yes/no" answers to issues.

Axios says Stephen Miller is being considered for that role. Trump loved his Acosta performance apparently.

Welp. But I guess it was inevitable that the guy bearing the closest resemblance to Joseph Goebbels would eventually get the job...

C5Cla3uVYAAyx7r.jpg

How long you guys think Miller would last as comms chief? I give it a couplef of months. he's going to be like Jack Nicholsons character from a Few Good Men, eventually he's just going to explode with his inner feelings.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/...t-trump-cotton-sasse-pence.html?_r=0&referer=

Republican Shadow Campaign for 2020 Takes Shape as Trump Doubts Grow

WASHINGTON — Senators Tom Cotton and Ben Sasse have already been to Iowa this year, Gov. John Kasich is eyeing a return visit to New Hampshire, and Mike Pence’s schedule is so full of political events that Republicans joke that he is acting more like a second-term vice president hoping to clear the field than a No. 2 sworn in a little over six months ago.

President Trump’s first term is ostensibly just warming up, but luminaries in his own party have begun what amounts to a shadow campaign for 2020 — as if the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue weren’t involved.

The would-be candidates are cultivating some of the party’s most prominent donors, courting conservative interest groups and carefully enhancing their profiles. Mr. Trump has given no indication that he will decline to seek a second term.

But the sheer disarray surrounding this presidency, the intensifying investigation by the special counsel Robert S. Mueller III and the plain uncertainty about what Mr. Trump will do in the next week, let alone in the next election, have prompted Republican officeholders to take political steps that are unheard-of so soon into a new administration.

Asked about those Republicans who seem to be eyeing 2020, a White House spokeswoman, Lindsay Walter, fired a warning shot: “The president is as strong as he’s ever been in Iowa, and every potentially ambitious Republican knows that.”

But in interviews with more than 75 Republicans at every level of the party, elected officials, donors and strategists expressed widespread uncertainty about whether Mr. Trump would be on the ballot in 2020 and little doubt that others in the party are engaged in barely veiled contingency planning.

#somuchwinning

Anyone else notice ever since he was diagnosed with cancer McCain has been being critical of Trump?
Voted no on the HC bill
Basically said Trump was weak
Disagrees with the wall
Seems like McCain is returning to his pre Sarah Palin influence state

Drakeon

Anyone else notice ever since he was diagnosed with cancer McCain has been being critical of Trump?
Voted no on the HC bill
Basically said Trump was weak
Disagrees with the wall
Seems like McCain is returning to his pre Sarah Palin influence state

He's out of fucks to give, it would appear.

Blader

How long you guys think Miller would last as comms chief? I give it a couplef of months. he's going to be like Jack Nicholsons character from a Few Good Men, eventually he's just going to explode with his inner feelings.

He'll probably make it to the end of the year, but I don't know how much longer than that. The same for Sanders too. This administration can't help but shit on itself on a daily basis, and it's the press secretary and comms director who will take the blame for it in Trump's eyes.

If Bannon goes at some point, that'll especially leave Miller on weak footing, because then his only other prominent ideologue ally would be Sessions, who is on the outs with Trump already.

chadskin

Yeah but he "hit back" and gave a televised zinger to the dummy from the fake news media!

Which is kind of odd because the Mooch actually wanted more relaxed, less confrontational relations with the fake news media. It's almost like they have no real strategy... 🤔

Miller for comms director? REALLY?

Trump is the guy who gets everyone killed in the Mass Effect 2 suicide mission because he has no idea who to give what responsibilities to.

Axios says Stephen Miller is being considered for that role. Trump loved his Acosta performance apparently.

Figured he would get the job after that. He did and said pretty much everything Trump would have wanted him to and executed it in a way that his base would actually like rather than the sort of fumbling jokey way Spicey did.

He'll probably make it to the end of the year, but I don't know how much longer than that. The same for Sanders too. This administration can't help but shit on itself on a daily basis, and it's the press secretary and comms director who will take the blame for it in Trump's eyes.

If Bannon goes at some point, that'll especially leave Miller on weak footing, because then his only other prominent ideologue ally would be Sessions, who is on the outs with Trump already.

Yeah, nobody can last because at some point, you'll be asked to do something as impossible as "look left and right at the same time" and then when you inevitably can't, you end up on the shit list.

Ogodei

I really don't see why Gillespie would have an advantage unless the state's "D-R-D-R" cycle is too embedded in the average centrist's mind. Or that a bunch of Periello supporters are really cheesed off, but i'd doubt that too because Periello played it so much nicer than Bernie did.

Plus you figure Stewart supporters might be mad on the other side that they're getting this GOPe cuck instead of their neo-Confederate boy.

Otherwise you have a state where moderate R's really don't like Trump and Northam's playing that up pretty hard.

I really don't see why Gillespie would have an advantage unless the state's "D-R-D-R" cycle is too embedded in the average centrist's mind. Or that a bunch of Periello supporters are really cheesed off, but i'd doubt that too because Periello played it so much nicer than Bernie did.

Plus you figure Stewart supporters might be mad on the other side that they're getting this GOPe cuck instead of their neo-Confederate boy.

Otherwise you have a state where moderate R's really don't like Trump and Northam's playing that up pretty hard.
The trend in Virginia was always that the gubernatorial election went against the party in the White House, but T-Mac bucked that in 2013.

Northam is also (supposedly) having trouble shoring up support on the left over his stance on pipelines, hopefully that doesn't kill him.

Blader

Of all the many lessons to learn from Trump's election, one of them has to be to never assume Republicans will do anything but vote for whomever the nominee ends up being. GOP voters will always fall in line, no matter what.

dramatis

I was listening to the Gabfest where someone described Miller as the word 'Actually' in human form.

Guy's not prepared to be in front of a camera, to be honest.

What up peoples

Took a pretty long GAF break after last year, but I guess I'm back!
Welcome back to hell in politics

Ogodei

I was listening to the Gabfest where someone described Miller as the word 'Actually' in human form.

Guy's not prepared to be in front of a camera, to be honest.

Welcome back to hell in politics

Comms chief is not press secretary, remember. You can keep Huck-Sanders in front of the cameras (who is bad, but still a league above Jim Jim Jim) and just have Miller crafting the strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom