• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Republicans engaged in this sort of hand-wringing angst from 1933-1953. Those radio stations might've carried some lit-as-fuck think pieces about their failure to capture the white working class

Pixieking

Banned
Mmmm... "We've not won as many seats as I would've liked" is not the same as "We haven't won any seats". I mean, there is room for nuance here.

Iowa HD-82:
2016: Trump (57.76%), Clinton (36.54%)
2012: Obama (49.74%), Romney (47.90%)

Tonight:

Miller, D (54.74%)
Harris, R (45.26%)

Barzul

Iowa HD-82:
2016: Trump (57.76%), Clinton (36.54%)
2012: Obama (49.74%), Romney (47.90%)

Tonight:

Miller, D (54.74%)
Harris, R (45.26%)
Maybe voters are finally realizing Trump will not do shit for them. They're probably the social conservative economic liberals that make up a sizeable chunk of midwestern WWC. BRCA for example was a bit of betrayal.

Some graphs from Thomas Piketty et al.
mshiw5H.png

PNwcDdY.png

Fix this before it's too late.

@baseballballot
By my calculations, Ds have now overperformed Clinton by an average of 7.5 pts in special elections; Rs have underperformed Trump by 3.6.

@baseballballot
(To those who prefer to measure by margin, that means 2017 Dems have posted margins 11.1 points better than Clinton's.)

@baseballballot
If 2012 is more your jam, Ds are overperforming Obama by 4.7; Rs underperforming Romney by 4.4. A margin swing of 9.1 toward Ds.

@baseballballot
This would work out to a national House vote that's 55.7% Democratic, 42.5% Republican. That's roughly consistent with generic ballot polls.

hot damn

Its fucking wild how fast this flipped

Fuck Reagan
It was Reagan, and then it was Bush, and then it was Clinton, and then it was Bush, and then it was Obama. But this mostly happened under Obama.

But it's nobody's "fault" anyway. It just happened. Our society is prosperous. Our wealth is innumerous. People made money. Nobody thought to try and share some of it.

I mean there is this whole anthropogenic climate change thing going on... wealth inequality is just going to determine who suffers most and soonest.

Yeah, climate change is the biggest for sure. Political will to fix income inequality gets harder every year (or rather, the political entrenchment of the wealthy gets stronger), but there will be a point of no return on the environment where it will be physically impossible to stop the change.

I mean there is this whole anthropogenic climate change thing going on... wealth inequality is just going to determine who suffers most and soonest.

Yeah, climate change is the biggest for sure. Political will to fix income inequality gets harder every year (or rather, the political entrenchment of the wealthy gets stronger), but there will be a point of no return on the environment where it will be physically impossible to stop the change.
You know, I actually saw the sequel today, and it was pretty good. It's a tie for me regarding which is more of a defining issue. :p

It's early, but tonight might be the first sign that Iowa (and the rural Midwest) isn't gone for good.

These states swung hard for Trump because they were willing to give him a chance, but that doesn't mean they won't snap back now that it's clear what a loser he is.

Also I realized there actually was a special election in a state legislative seat that swung from Dem to GOP, but we didn't contest it. Some southern state, I want to say Mississippi or Louisiana.

In any case, 13-point margin would surely be enough to overcome the gerrymandered maps. Then again that one guy said we'd only pick up two seats.

A 6% swing from 2012 Iowa results (what IA HD28 was tonight) would give Dems a gain of 7 in the Iowa Senate (of the 25 seats that are up in 2018) and would swing the chamber back to Dems on a 27-23 margin. A 30% swing from 2016 Iowa results (what IA HD28 was tonight) would give Dems a gain of 11 seats of the 25 up in 2018 for a 31-19 majority in the state senate.

If we're to extrapolate these Missouri numbers, we get some interesting data from both. I'll first use MO HD50's -4.15 margin. I'm also just going to add up all the numbers here as Democrat and Non-Dem, so lumping in the Green+Lib+Other vote with Republicans to get a two party vote.

MO HD 50

2016 was Clinton, 37%, Non-Clinton, 63% (-26%)
2012 was Obama, 37.65%, Non-Obama, 62.35% (-24.7%)
2012 was McCaskill, 48.66%, Non-McCaskill, 51.34% (-2.68%)

A uniform swing statewide would've given Clinton a 21.85% swing, resulting in:

Clinton, 48.26%, Non-Clinton, 51.74

A uniform swing statewide would've given Obama a 20.55% swing, resulting in:

Obama, 54.68%, Non-Obama, 45.32%

And more important, a uniform swing statewide would've given McCaskill a -1.47% swing, resulting in:

McCaskill: 54.06%, Non-McCaskill: 45.94%

Now, if we're using MO SD28 with a D-19% margin...

2012 was McCaskill, 43.90%, Non-McCaskill, 56.16% (-12.26%)

And more important, a uniform swing statewide would've given McCaskill a -6.74% swing, resulting in:

McCaskill: 51.43%, Non-McCaskill: 48.57%

With that kind of swing we might have a shot at the Iowa House too.

Can't be assed to figure out how many seats though, Ballotpedia doesn't list the margins, just the vote totals.

With that kind of swing we might have a shot at the Iowa House too.

Can't be assed to figure out how many seats though, Ballotpedia doesn't list the margins, just the vote totals.

Bookmark this

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...ts-by-congressional-and-legislative-districts

A 6% swing from 2012 would give us 40 seats (lol), not taking into account incumbency advantages. That's not happening. So, probably the best thing to do is some marriage between 2012 and 2016 numbers.

We've got "Fire Rokita" signs all over town, so I guess he decided he'd quit instead.

(god, I hope he goes down in flames, but it's Indiana, so....)

It's a tough district. There isn't really a Dem base. Even in 2008, when Obama won the state:

Indiana_presidential_election_results_2008.svg

There's almost no Dem bases of support. I think the only county that Obama won that year in the district was Tippecanoe, which he lost in 2012 and Hillary lost in 2016. It's actually a fairly impressive gerrymander.

(This was 2016. Yeesh.)

Indiana_Presidential_Election_Results_2016.svg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom