• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
An Inconvenient Sequel
Ah. That is an awful name btw. I blame Al Gore...

For everything. We probably wouldn't be much further along fighting climate change if he had been president, but I can't help think how different the arc of the world might have been had those chads not been hanging.
Or, you know we abolished the EC

chadskin

Roger Stone with a hot scoop on InfoWars:
“I have confirmed from sources from inside the White House, the Israeli government and Israeli intelligence that the Israelis have intercepted email communications from General McMaster to George Soros, informing him of everything that’s going on inside the White House,” reported Infowars correspondent Roger Stone. “…I have double checked this with two different sources very high up in Israeli intelligence, and I actually expect the Israeli ambassador to the US to confirm this.”

Ithil

Roger Stone with a hot scoop on InfoWars:

Gotta love how they just blatantly make up these dumbass stories as soon as they pick a "target" to serve up as a distraction for the base. Suddenly they're getting all these EVIL SOROS CONNECTIONS for McMaster, conveniently as soon as they have decided to prop him up as the new target.

The thirst to get rid of McMaster is real. I'm not sure why, but it's real! It is really worth tanking one of the more (comparatively) stable parts of the administration over Loretta Lynch's security clearance, especially when there was no actual compelling reason to turn her away other than a misunderstood Bill Clinton booty call at an airport tarmac? I mean, she was cleared on the unmasking. Not sure what else they want from her.

kess

It's cute how the local Tribune paper keeps trying to synchronize its headlines to whatever the issue du jour is from the White House and watching the messaging get diverted every day by Trump's spastic attention span.

Diablos

Lindsey Graham is on CBS basically saying that unless the world steps in and stops NK then the US will. Time for talking is running out. We tried the same stuff for 30 years and it didn't work. Blah blah.

All of this rhetoric reminds me of the cheerleading we heard for war after 9/11 but perhaps with even more resolve because there's the possibility of an ICBM with a nuke on it.

Ugh, if Hillary was always destined to lose I'd take any other Republican over Trump right now if only because they'd deal with the NK situation at least somewhat rationally.

Wilsongt

Trump waving his nuclear dick on Twitter.

Oh well. As long as some rich people can profit off of war, it doesn't matter what happens to everyone else.

Lindsey Graham is on CBS basically saying that unless the world steps in and stops NK then the US will. Time for talking is running out. We tried the same stuff for 30 years and it didn't work. Blah blah.

All of this rhetoric reminds me of the cheerleading we heard for war after 9/11 but perhaps with even more resolve because there's the possibility of an ICBM with a nuke on it.

Ugh, if Hillary was always destined to lose I'd take any other Republican over Trump right now if only because they'd deal with the NK situation at least somewhat rationally.

I mean, Lindsey Graham is a bigger hawk than actual hawks.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That's not hard, hawks are quite small birds. Even the largest rarely exceed 4ft wingspans.

dramatis

The thirst to get rid of McMaster is real. I'm not sure why, but it's real! It is really worth tanking one of the more (comparatively) stable parts of the administration over Loretta Lynch's security clearance, especially when there was no actual compelling reason to turn her away other than a misunderstood Bill Clinton booty call at an airport tarmac? I mean, she was cleared on the unmasking. Not sure what else they want from her.
It's about revenge, isn't it? Because he fired "one of them"?

tbm24

Trump is something else. I have no doubts once the Trump saga is over another policitican won't be able to bullshit as hard as Trump does on a daily basis, but for the life of me I don't understand how people keep letting him fucking do it.

Ernest

Banned
Trump is something else. I have no doubts once the Trump saga is over another policitican won't be able to bullshit as hard as Trump does on a daily basis, but for the life of me I don't understand how people keep letting him fucking do it.
He makes his supporters feel like they're in on his bullshit with him.
That's the only explanation that makes sense.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Like everyone else I'm quite unnerved by the NK developments but I feel like some of the WW3/apocalypse sentiments are a bit overboard.

If we nuked North Korea into oblivion, it would be horrible because Seoul and/or Tokyo might be reduced to rubble. It would be a historic tragedy. But I very much doubt anyone would actually go to bat to defend North Korea. Is China or Russia really going to start a nuclear war with the US over North Korea?

Like everyone else I'm quite unnerved by the NK developments but I feel like some of the WW3/apocalypse sentiments are a bit overboard.

If we nuked North Korea into oblivion, it would be horrible because Seoul and/or Tokyo might be reduced to rubble. It would be a historic tragedy. But I very much doubt anyone would actually go to bat to defend North Korea. Is China or Russia really going to start a nuclear war with the US over North Korea?

I mean, less than 100m died in WW1 and WW2 combined (Not counting Spanish Flu deaths).

A nuclear exchange with NK would lead to 100m deaths.

Lo-Volt

Hat tip to the OT: Paul Manafort's home raided before dawn by FBI agents in late July according to The Washington Post

The Washington Post said:
...Manafort’s allies fear that Mueller hopes to build a case against Manafort unrelated to the 2016 campaign, in hopes that the former campaign operative would provide information against others in Trump’s inner circle in exchange for lessening his own legal exposure.

The significance of the records seized from Manafort’s apartment is unclear.

Manafort has provided documents to both the Senate Judiciary Committee and the Senate and House intelligence committees. The documents are said to include notes Manafort took while attending a meeting with Donald Trump Jr. and a Russian lawyer at Trump Tower in June 2016...

If we nuked NK with no actual nuclear aggression from them (threats don't count), we would basically become the #1 most hated country on the planet and our alliances would be devastated instantly. If the US is willing to throw around some bombs with no regard for diplomacy, why trust us?

This isn't going to happen (no nukes are going to be exchanged any time soon), but "it's no big deal in international politics if we nuke NK" isn't really what would happen if it did happen.

If we nuked NK with no actual nuclear aggression from them (threats don't count), we would basically become the #1 most hated country on the planet and our alliances would be devastated instantly. If the US is willing to throw around some bombs with no regard for diplomacy, why trust us?

This isn't going to happen (no nukes are going to be exchanged any time soon), but "it's no big deal in international politics if we nuke NK" isn't really what would happen if it did happen.

But if we preemptively attacked, we wouldn't use nukes, right? And if we didn't use nukes, what would happen?

I'm very uneducated on this stuff, and while I successfully walked back from being terrified about the end of the world, this whole thing makes me anxious as hell.

It's a tough district. There isn't really a Dem base. Even in 2008, when Obama won the state:

Indiana_presidential_election_results_2008.svg

There's almost no Dem bases of support. I think the only county that Obama won that year in the district was Tippecanoe, which he lost in 2012 and Hillary lost in 2016. It's actually a fairly impressive gerrymander.

(This was 2016. Yeesh.)

Indiana_Presidential_Election_Results_2016.svg

For the longest time, Dems won the State House more often than not (while getting crushed in the State Senate) and were able to force compromise maps. Then R's took the House in 2010 and the result was ridiculously gerrymandered maps to add to the existing R advantage. I don't see how we can overcome this unless SCOTUS strikes down partisan gerrymandering because even if we get the governorship (and I doubt we will in 2020) the legislature can override a gubernatorial veto with a simple majority vote.

The other thing notable about the 2016 map is Clinton only winning four counties. Of those four, Marion (Indianapolis), Monroe (Bloomington/Indiana University) and Lake (Gary/Northwest Indiana) would go Democratic under any circumstances. St. Joseph (South Bend/Notre Dame) is the only competitive Indiana county she pulled off.

NeoXChaos

For the longest time, Dems won the State House more often than not (while getting crushed in the State Senate) and were able to force compromise maps. Then R's took the House in 2010 and the result was ridiculously gerrymandered maps to add to the existing R advantage. I don't see how we can overcome this unless SCOTUS strikes down partisan gerrymandering because even if we get the governorship (and I doubt we will in 2020) the legislature can override a gubernatorial veto with a simple majority vote.

The other thing notable about the 2016 map is Clinton only winning four counties. Of those four, Marion (Indianapolis), Monroe (Bloomington/Indiana University) and Lake (Gary/Northwest Indiana) would go Democratic under any circumstances. St. Joseph (South Bend/Notre Dame) is the only competitive Indiana county she pulled off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_strength_in_Indiana

They have not won the State Senate Since 1977

We'd use regular warfare if we attacked first, specifically aiming at Pyongyang to attempt to end the conflict in a few days.

It's basically off the table though. NK is a bad guy in a cop show who is cornered with a hostage (SK basically has a gun pointed at it at all times).

Would NK ever actually pull the trigger on the hostage, though? Doing that opens up a big can of worms that NK can't deal with and knows they can't deal with.

Kim's found a way to rile up a big country and make himself and his country seem more important than they are. He's doing everything possible to annoy and antagonize without actually taking it past a point where he starts to get hurt by it. He's an opportunist, using Trump to get attention and importance because Trump is stupid and reacts badly to threats.

Theorymon

So with all the worries about nuclear escalation going on in OT, what's poligafs take? I'm not as knowledgeable on North Koreas geopolitics as I should be, but I'm under the impression that they like to sabre rattle a lot. Hopefully Trump's stupidity won't lead to a lot of unneeded carnage though...

Teggy

My Congresswoman, Niki Tsongas, isn't going to seek reelection. This is MA suburbs so I don't expect an issue holding the seat.

Would NK ever actually pull the trigger on the hostage, though? Doing that opens up a big can of worms that NK can't deal with and knows they can't deal with.

Kim's found a way to rile up a big country and make himself and his country seem more important than they are. He's doing everything possible to annoy and antagonize without actually taking it past a point where he starts to get hurt by it. He's an opportunist, using Trump to get attention and importance because Trump is stupid and reacts badly to threats.

The Kim family wouldn't survive if anyone ever took action against them. They'd get torn apart like Gaddafi. So I do think there could come a point after a military strike where Kim thinks "I'm gonna die, let's see how spitefully I can go out."

So with all the worries about nuclear escalation going on in OT, what's poligafs take? I'm not as knowledgeable on North Koreas geopolitics as I should be, but I'm under the impression that they like to sabre rattle a lot. Hopefully Trump's stupidity won't lead to a lot of unneeded carnage though...

I think nuclear attacks are incredibly unlikely. I think NK doing anything is unlikely. But if we attacked them, we're on a razor's edge as to what happens after that.

Blader

NK likes to saber rattle, but now that they have working ICBMs and miniaturized nukes that can fit on those missiles, they're rapidly reaching the point where they can credibly back up their threats.

shem935

Banned

My worst worry is that Trump gets a false alarm late in the night and they have to make a snap decision. Beyond that I don't expect him to actually motivate a forceful military action without it leaking in advance.

North Korea and Kim's rule are only able to survive due to China. China certainly doesn't want a war right on their border, and especially does not want a war that will hurt their exports by forcing them to pick a side.

China says "cut the crap or no more food and money for you" and what's Kim supposed to do? China could take over NK right now if it wanted (if it wasn't an international incident for them to try it right now).

Maxim726X

But if we preemptively attacked, we wouldn't use nukes, right? And if we didn't use nukes, what would happen?

I'm very uneducated on this stuff, and while I successfully walked back from being terrified about the end of the world, this whole thing makes me anxious as hell.

No, that would be foolish.

The ball, as it always has been, will be in NK's court. If they're really foolish enough to attack the US in any way then the international community would condone an appropriate reaction. If they use a nuke? They're history, but it certainly wouldn't be the cause of WW3.

Fox318

War with Korea is War with China and thats the ball game.

Nothing is happening.

studyguy

My opinion is 140 characters isn't enough to explain a nuanced stance on NK aggression or threats. More to the point, getting into a pissing contest of ever escalating threats with NK is meaningless. My only worry is what happens when Trump inevitably shoves himself in a corner when he threatens NK action and they act on those threats by launching another test or something, painting Trump as weak.

I'm super annoyed by atheists who purposely misinterpret "I come not to bring peace, but a sword."

This is an insanely easy thing to interpret and shows Jesus in a terrible light in proper context. Jesus is saying "fuck your family, I'm more important."

... You don't need to try to make that worse than it is.

jmdajr

Trump's tell is so obvious now. Who knows wtf made him go unhinged yesterday.

The dude can't help himself. Twitter will be his downfall or at least keep making his life a fucking mess.

My opinion is 140 characters isn't enough to explain a nuanced stance on NK aggression or threats. More to the point, getting into a pissing contest of ever escalating threats with NK is meaningless. My only worry is what happens when Trump inevitably shoves himself in a corner when he threatens NK action and they act on those threats by launching another test or something, painting Trump as weak.

I was explaining this to a friend. I'm not particularly worried about what NK can do to us, but I'm always cautious about whatever Trump thinks he can do to them without considering any actual consequences.

dramatis

I guess I join in the general opinion that NK seems more rational than Trump, and the key factor in ensuring nothing happens is Trump not getting ahead of himself.

What I really hope is not a thing like the transgender ban announcement where he just states his policy on twitter and everyone else in the government has to walk that back. If he does that with a strike announcement it's going to be too late to walk that back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom