• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dierce

Next time a republican mentions respecting the law or the constitution throw this shit right on their face. They are all morally corrupt hypocrites who have absolutely no basis for anything they claim to stand for.

Teggy

Went to play a little Uncharted and suddenly my iPad notifications are blowing up. Everything is just gross these days.

chadskin

https://lawfareblog.com/problem-donald-trumps-constitution-part-ii-prospect-arpaio-pardon

And while the president may well get away with the specific act of pardoning Arpaio, this action will not be without effect on future calls for impeachment. Unlike a pardon of himself, family members, or aides in the Russia matter, pardoning Arpaio would probably not result in the immediate demand for an impeachment inquiry. If, however, impeachment pressure increases, or a formal impeachment inquiry is launched on the basis of Russian “collusion,” obstruction, or on other grounds, an Arpaio pardon in the background will be highly damaging to the President’s position. It will immeasurably strengthen the hand of those arguing that Donald Trump does not have the requisite respect for the rule of law, or an understanding of the meaning of his constitutional oath, to be entrusted with the presidency.

Dierce

It's becoming quite clear now that orange turd is becoming even more unhinged at showing how much of a bigot he truly is and not caring about it. Things are only going to get worse unless he gets impeached.

Pixieking

Banned
None. White nationalists are just there for one another.

Thank you for being a friend
Traveled down the road and back again
Your heart is true your a pal and a confidant.
And if you through a party
Invited everyone you ever knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say thank you for being a friend.

Who knew Trump would take the Golden Girls theme to heart?

It's becoming quite clear now that orange turd is becoming even more unhinged at showing how much of a bigot he truly is and not caring about it. Things are only going to get worse unless he gets impeached.

Many foresaw this as his path after the healthcare failure proved him a clout-less nonleader in the actual duties of the office.

pigeon

Banned
Which scenario is that?

I mean, the worst case scenario has always been explicitly state-sanctioned violence against people of color and people of non-Christian religions (including Jewish people in both camps).

One major step towards this would be unofficial paramilitary groups and law enforcement groups engaging in violent acts designed to terrorize or oppress those people with the tacit or explicit support of the President, with the quiet support of the Republican congress.

That has now already come to pass.

What is the next step?

Imagine if Trump nominated Arpaio to replace Kelly
Don't even. I'd like to think he'd never get through senate confirmation... though that doesn't rule out a lower non-confirmed DHS job like the one they were gonna give Sheriff Clarke (Trump sure does like racist shitbird Sheriffs).

Diablos

Someone on MSNBC made a good point; the lack of a strong EPA will no doubt be a problem given where this hurricane is going to likely hit

What a time to be alive. Trump is bad for our health

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Don't even. I'd like to think he'd never get through senate confirmation... though that doesn't rule out a lower non-confirmed DHS job like the one they were gonna give Sheriff Clarke (Trump sure does like racist shitbird Sheriffs).

As pointed out on Twitter Arpaio is everything Trump wishes he was
https://twitter.com/Vahn16/status/901238645411074048

DIHXtmJUwAE_bSP.jpg

DIHXtmJV0AAw_Ac.jpg

It's actually kind of impressive how burying this stuff on the weekend is at softening the reaction to it

Like. Even me. Normally I'd be furious. But right I'm just drinking watching Game Grumps thinking "fuck it, I'll find time to be mad on Monday"

White supremacy is literally Donald Trump's only political ideology.
Really, people need to be better at pointing this out

He does this because he has nothing else. He has no economic ideas or agenda. He has no solid plans.

The narrative that he doesn't care about "social issues" needs to stop.. All he has is social issues. Because he has zero ability to work with congress and do anything else other than statements like this

Ogodei

Pardon admits his guilt though, so that's something.

Trump being too cowardly to do it in a grandiose manner is another thing.

Pardon admits his guilt though, so that's something.

Trump being too cowardly to do it in a grandiose manner is another thing.
Well he did literally say at the rally the other day "I'm going to pardon a racist criminal" and most of the media went ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, so he may as well have just pardoned him there.

kess

I'm trying to hold back on commentary regarding this administration's hurricane preparedness, but the cray cray diarrhea train of news the night before landfall IS NOT giving me hope for a measured, effective response.

Ogodei

Well he did literally say at the rally the other day "I'm going to pardon a racist criminal" and most of the media went ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, so he may as well have just pardoned him there.

Right, but he could've brought the "official pardon form" (or some bullshit like that) with him to the rally and made a big deal of it, instead of sending it out like a thief in the night after close of business on Friday during a hurricane.

Zolo

Yeah. I found it weird how people didn't react to him going "I'm going to pardon him at some point. Just not tonight because there's protesters outside."

I think pardoning Arpaio had like 22% support in Arizona. At a time when Trump's approval is careening downwards, rather than consolidating support, he's signalling that he values his core constituency of the most vile ethnonationalists in America over the moral spirit of the average American.

I'm mad now
I am too. I'm sorry, I wasn't really being serious. It's just that mostly I was always confused when people said "they are burying news on the weekend", as if a weekend would stop people from reacting to megaton announcements. Because I never thought it would make much of a difference. But after a long week and I had just committed to winding down it dawned on me "oh, this is why they do it".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom