• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Whatever the Court rules won't matter if there isn't also a punishment for violating its ruling. The GOP does this shit all the time. Draw up illegal maps, run sketchy election, get sued, lose the case but the election results stand, get ordered to draw new maps, draw different but still illegal maps, repeat.

Indeed. Without a mechanism to force re-elections or otherwise implement proper maps it won't get done.

"If the government shuts down, everyone just goes home right? I can do whatever I want!"

Wonder where he got that idea?

giphy.gif

ivajz

Special Counsel Examines Possible Role Flynn Played in Seeking Clinton Emails From Hackers

WASHINGTON—Special counsel Robert Mueller is examining what role, if any, former national security adviser Mike Flynn may have played in a private effort to obtain Hillary Clinton’s emails from Russian hackers, according to people familiar with the matter.

The effort to seek out hackers who were believed to have stolen Mrs. Clinton’s emails, first reported by The Wall Street Journal, was led by a longtime Republican activist, Peter W. Smith. In correspondence and conversations with his colleagues, Mr. Smith portrayed Mr. Flynn as an ally in those efforts and implied that other senior Trump campaign officials were coordinating with him, which they have denied. He also named Mr. Flynn’s consulting firm and his son in the correspondence and conversations.

The special counsel is investigating potential coordination between Donald Trump’s presidential campaign and Russia in the 2016 election.

Mr. Smith believed that some 33,000 emails that Mrs. Clinton said were personal and had been deleted had been obtained by hackers. Last year, in the final months of the presidential campaign, he made contact with what he said were five groups of hackers, two of which he believed were comprised of Russians, who claimed to have obtained the emails.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/specia...eeking-clinton-emails-from-hackers-1503694304

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
President Trump reached for comment as the full barrage of US, North Korean, Russian and Chinese nukes were en route to their targets.
"Good luck out there everyone."
*thumbs up*
*closes bunker door tightly*

Tomorrow:
*Wonders why fox and friends isn't on anymore*

Ogodei

Like most treason when you control all branches of government, it's frowned upon. Now about those tax cuts.

Meh, i don't think any GOPer sans Trump himself (or maybe Rohrbacher) is going to go out on a limb to save Flynn's ass. It's only Trump that the congressional GOP can shelter from this.

chadskin

Is this illegal or just frowned upon if its true?

It's probably less about collusion and more about potential obstruction of justice. Like, if Kushner was aware of what Flynn and Smith were doing and then, as reported, urged Trump to fire Comey, perhaps in an effort to protect Flynn and ultimately himself ... that could get interesting quickly.

No nuclear country has ever been invaded, right? So that makes them the most successful defense weapon ever. Case closed, maybe if everyone had nukes there would be no more war.

NBC News: Mueller Seeks Grand Jury Testimony from PR Execs Who Worked With Manafort

Special Counsel Robert Mueller issued grand jury subpoenas in recent days seeking testimony from public relations executives who worked on an international campaign organized by Paul Manafort, people directly familiar with the matter told NBC News.

This is the first public indication that Mueller's investigation is beginning to compel witness testimony before the grand jury — a significant milestone in an inquiry that is examining the conduct of President Donald Trump and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, among others.

It is also further indication that Manafort, Trump's onetime campaign chairman, could be in serious legal jeopardy.

According to one executive whose firm received a subpoena, Mueller's team is closely examining the lobbying campaign, which ran between 2012 and 2014. Some of the firms involved in the campaign received subpoenas for documents weeks ago, the executive said, and now the Mueller team is seeking testimony.
oppo's back, baby

Trump actually went out for a trip this weekend? Like, seriously? Dude. Come on. I assumed it was a joke because he does basically every weekend, but, goddamn. At least it's Camp David so there'll be no golf photos. At least I'm pretty sure there's no golf course there.
What's it like having a news addiction?
...Says another person spending time on PoliGAF.

Trump actually went out for a trip this weekend? Like, seriously? Dude. Come on. I assumed it was a joke because he does basically every weekend, but, goddamn. At least it's Camp David so there'll be no golf photos. At least I'm pretty sure there's no golf course there.
...Says another person spending time on PoliGAF.
Yeah I was joking before I saw the Camp David stuff.

With the Florida Senate special election coming up, I wanted to see how winnable the chamber is in 2018. Short answer: It'll be a slog.

Assuming Taddeo is successful and wins her special election, Democrats will be at a 24-16 disadvantage. They'd need five seats for a majority.

Potential targets for the Democrats are SD-36 (based in Miami-Dade), an open seat that went 56-42 for Clinton; SD-18 (based in Hillsborough) that went 51-45 for Clinton; and SD-8 (Alachau, Putnam, and part of Marion) which went for Trump by about 500 votes. The first two are low-hanging fruit (SD-36 moreso) while the third is as swingy as can be, but even winning all three would put them at a 21-19 disadvantage.

Beyond those, I'm looking at a trio of seats - SDs-20, 22 and 24 - that each gave Clinton 44-45% of the vote and Trump 51-52%. Winning these, and thus the majority would probably require a wave, although I don't think it would need a huge one. SD-16 (42-54 Clinton/Trump) is not much further off. None of the Dem-held seats seem to be in any danger, the worst went for Clinton by 13 points.

In a decent Dem year I could see them picking off one or two seats which would at least cut further into the GOP majority, but like everywhere else Democrats will need more than a decent year to win.

The Florida House will be even tougher, as even if Democrats picked up all the Clinton seats they'd still be at a 65-55 disadvantage. Still, that'd be better than their current 77-41. Oy!

So Trump's first real crisis is going to be what looks like the most catastrophic hurricane to hit the U.S. since Katrina/Wilma.

I'd argue Charlottesville was the first real one and he bungled that pretty badly, to put it lightly. Taking a trip this weekend and literally saying "good luck everyone" on the way out doesn't bode well for how this hurricane will reflect upon him, however.

I'd argue Charlottesville was the first real one and he bungled that pretty badly, to put it lightly. Taking a trip this weekend and literally saying "good luck everyone" on the way out doesn't bode well for how this hurricane will reflect upon him, however.
I think Trump elevated Charlottesville to a national crisis by siding with the Nazis.

Not to downplay the seriousness of the event, it's just that any other president would have easily just been like "Nazis are bad, don't kill protesters." I wouldn't consider it a crisis if it's that easy to get out in front of, but Trump is a special kind of stupid.

dakini

Jane Raybould's announced she's running against Nebraska Senator Deb Fischer in 2018

Democrat Jane Raybould, a member of the Lincoln City Council, said Thursday she plans to challenge U.S. Sen. Deb Fischer in the 2018 election.

Raybould said she wants to bring her business background and commitment to bipartisanship to the job. She said she is not happy with how congressional Republicans handled debate over the health care bill.

She also criticized Fischer, a first-term senator, for her vote to confirm Education Secretary Betsy DeVos.

“I have never shied away from a fight,” said Raybould, who is a vice president at her family’s grocery store business.

She cites her time on the Lancaster County Board, where she was the lone Democrat, as proof that she can work across the aisle. Raybould said she’s particularly proud of the board’s work with labor unions and others to reduce the county’s pension contributions.

On health care, Raybould said she would fight to maintain some provisions of the Affordable Care Act, such as mandatory coverage of pre-existing conditions and insurance subsidies for those whose incomes are under a certain threshold.

She said she wants a bipartisan group of the “smartest and the brightest” to come together to propose changes. She said she would look at a single-payer system or allowing people older than 55 to buy into Medicare, but did not endorse any specific changes in health care laws.

Raybould said she would be “fierce” on agricultural issues and would seek a spot on the Senate Agriculture Committee.

http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/...cle_50b260ae-aa54-50a5-a587-a6dc6ab24306.html

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I'm still worried he'll give one teleprompter speech about the hurricane and suddenly be presidential.

I think Trump elevated Charlottesville to a national crisis by siding with the Nazis.

Not to downplay the seriousness of the event, it's just that any other president would have easily just been like "Nazis are bad, don't kill protesters." I wouldn't consider it a crisis if it's that easy to get out in front of, but Trump is a special kind of stupid.
Yeah, that sort of felt like a problem that he turned into a crisis. A national, historic crisis that will probably be remembered long after he dies.

Jane Raybould's announced she's running against Nebraska Senator Deb Fischer in 2018

http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/...cle_50b260ae-aa54-50a5-a587-a6dc6ab24306.html
Best of luck to her, but I don't think she really has a shot.

Attacking Fischer as the tiebreaking vote for Betsy DeVos isn't a bad angle, though. I think even Trump voters would recognize DeVos as woefully unqualified based on her confirmation hearings.

It'd be really something if we could make Tennessee and Nebraska competitive next year. Revenge for Harold Ford, and for the only Dem-held Senate seat we lost in 2012 (not that Ben Nelson is worth crying over).

Ogodei

Yup. FEMA's not run by anyone right now.

Although that means the careerists are in charge, and not a guy who breeds horses and does disaster management as a hobby.

dakini

Best of luck to her, but I don't think she really has a shot.

Attacking Fischer as the tiebreaking vote for Betsy DeVos isn't a bad angle, though. I think even Trump voters would recognize DeVos as woefully unqualified based on her confirmation hearings.

It'd be really something if we could make Tennessee and Nebraska competitive next year. Revenge for Harold Ford, and for the only Dem-held Senate seat we lost in 2012 (not that Ben Nelson is worth crying over).

Yeah, I don't have high hopes. However, who knows where we'll be next year. Maybe, like you said, we'll be able to pull out a surprise win in a deep red state.

North Korea was bummed after being out of the news for a few weeks, I guess.

Trump, seriously, go back to the White House, my god. You look like an even bigger chump after what you said a few days ago.

lmao, and he picked -right now- to make the transgender ban official.

sangreal

Yup. FEMA's not run by anyone right now.

Although that means the careerists are in charge, and not a guy who breeds horses and does disaster management as a hobby.

FEMA has a confirmed head. Funny enough all the articles when you search for that are about how he is shockingly qualified for his job

I actually predict that response will be half competent because FEMA is not run by Michael Brown and cable will give Trump credit. Then he will start tweeting again.
I had this post half-typed out before, ha ha.

The FEMA and government response will be arguably adequate given the limits of what they can do (this storm looks like an unavoidable catastrophe).

Trump will be obsessed with self-congratulations.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maybe the hurricane is from China! Right? China! Who knows really, no one can know for sure, no one can, believe me. You have experts saying it might be global warming, others say El Nino, or La Nina! Who knows right? If they come from Mexico I don't think they'll get over the wall, right? They're not getting over it. But it could be North Korea, probably not, but it could be. I always say you have to know where a hurricane is coming from, if you want to go around it. You just have to, otherwise you'll head straight into it and probably not make it out the other side. Some people know that, I was a bit like a hurricane myself in the last election, Hurricane Trump, or Hurricane Donald I guess they would name it, but Hurricane Trump sounds much better right? I think so. Hillary never saw it coming, the Democrats never saw it coming, and here I was, and I won, just blew it away, all away. Nobody thought I would win, and then I won, they said I actually didn't want to win and that I would quit, but I'm still here folks, still here, I'm not quitting, I actually like this! We're doing so many things, every week, so many things. We should call this Trump season, and there's only one, all year, it never ends.

Before anyone wants to start a "is it global warming?" debate with anyone, I'll throw everything out there for you. Alas, this isn't China:

1) You can't directly attribute it, just like you can never pin one exact event. Trends and extremes are what to look at.
2) The Gulf waters are abnormally warm, which is party of a multi-year trend. This means more energy for storms, and obviously that doesn't help. A comparison might be Sandy where it intensified quickly because the waters were much warmer than they should have been.
3) Abnormal heat on the west coast is creating a big wall in the atmosphere to the west that will prevent it from coming on shore and weakening faster. Moreover, warmer weather in northern Canada indirectly creates a wall to the north.

I'd consider this the first "crisis." Depending on how big this natural disaster ends up. The rest have just been avoidable fuckups that seem to be scheduled daily.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Was the Katrina response really bungled because of Michael Brown? I would have figured it was bungled because of general government bureaucracy and people not prepared / taking the crisis seriously, which I imagine is more of an institutional malaise than an individual one.

Edit: And our government's inability to care about poor / black / poor black people.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Was the Katrina response really bungled because of Michael Brown? I would have figured it was bungled because of general government bureaucracy and people not prepared / taking the crisis seriously, which I imagine is more of an institutional malaise than an individual one.

Edit: And our government's inability to care about poor / black / poor black people.

A President with some modicum of control over his political allies and subordinates can exert a certain level of "get your asses in there and fix this" if things are looking too bad.
Trump definitely cannot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom