• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to say it but the only way to save healthcare at that point might be to kill the filibuster. We aren't ever getting 8-10 Republican votes on healthcare. A lot of what would fix the ACA can't be passed through reconciliation and certainly a public option couldn't.

And then the Republicans will chicken little about Democrats killing democratic norms.

Irony died a sudden death last year.

kess

Lest we forget, Roberts used that case as a pretext to weaken congressional oversight and regulation vis a vis the Commerce Clause, so if the mandate is dead, Republicans have won on both counts.

I hate to say it but the only way to save healthcare at that point might be to kill the filibuster. We aren't ever getting 8-10 Republican votes on healthcare. A lot of what would fix the ACA can't be passed through reconciliation and certainly a public option couldn't. Skinny repeal is basically a big fuck you to the entire system with not much gained at all.

There really isn't another option at this point. And any rollout would have to happen nearly immediately. Not a 3-4 year plan like ACA went through.

GOP has thrown out all norms and operates in their own world. Dems trying to play by the rules will serve only to ensure the GOP keeps an iron grip on things like these.

Pretty much the only way to make healthcare progress will be to kill the filibuster and give it to everyone because, as we've seen, taking something away from someone when they've already had it for years is haaaard to do.

pigeon

Banned
and people will blame the party that just repealed obamacare

actual skinny repeal makes zero sense. using it as a ploy to come up with a new bill in conference makes sense but then you have people like rand paul saying they wont support that

None of the GOP repeal plans make any sense so I'm not sure that's a useful metric for gauging their willingness to do a thing.

Lest we forget, Roberts used that case as a pretext to weaken congressional oversight and regulation vis a vis the Commerce Clause, so if the mandate is dead, Republicans have won on both counts.

Could you go into this a bit more? I was under the impression that Roberts very particularly tried to avoid the Commerce Clause in his decision in that case and relied instead on the power of taxation, but I may be misinformed about that.

Maxim726X

If skinny passes, insurers are going to skyrocket premiums next month.

I should invest in BCBS or Aetna.

There really isn't another option at this point. And any rollout would have to happen nearly immediately. Not a 3-4 year plan like ACA went through.

GOP has thrown out all norms and operates in their own world. Dems trying to play by the rules will serve only to ensure the GOP keeps an iron grip on things like these.

Game theory. Gotta prove to them that you can play their game or they'll never change.

pigeon

Banned
Could you go into this a bit more? I was under the impression that Roberts very particularly tried to avoid the Commerce Clause in his decision in that case and relied instead on the power of taxation, but I may be misinformed about that.

Roberts avoided finding that the law was legal under the commerce clause, but found it legal as a tax instead.

The consequence of this was to generally weaken Commerce Clause power to regulate.

Maxim726X

Medicare for All is basically guaranteed to be front and center, in my view.

And the Democrats will have an equally embarrassing defeat.

So much needs to be fixed with the health care delivery system (and subsequent taxation) that it would never actually work.

So much needs to be fixed with the health care delivery system (and subsequent taxation) that it would never actually work.

So then what's your plan? Because at minimum, whatever the GOP passes here will need to be thrown out as soon as possible.

pigeon

Banned

The Medicaid expansion seems to have worked out fine and to be quite difficult to repeal.

That's the shitty thing about it. The ACA will be not be able to be saved even if democrats gain full control

Eh. I'd expect whatever democrats do next to be build on top of it. An obvious next step would be to expand Medicaid eligibility (raise income limits for single and married households) and change the name to get rid of the stigma "Medicaid" has. They also need to raise hospital reimbursement rates, as they're still quite low. Basically create a public option.

kess

John Roberts's art of war

John Roberts Saves Us All

Obama Wins the Battle, Roberts Wins the War

In 2005, Sen. Barack Obama spoke in opposition to Roberts' nomination, saying he did not trust his political philosophy on tough questions such as "whether the Commerce Clause empowers Congress to speak on those issues of broad national concern that may be only tangentially related to what is easily defined as interstate commerce." Today, Roberts did what Obama predicted he would do.
Roberts' genius was in pushing this health care decision through without attaching it to the coattails of an ugly, narrow partisan victory. Obama wins on policy, this time. And Roberts rewrites Congress' power to regulate, opening the door for countless future challenges. In the long term, supporters of curtailing the federal government should be glad to have made that trade.

It would be the pragmatic and sensible option but I don't know if centrist Democrats would be willing to abandon ideological commitments for the good of the party.

Well if we spend so much time saying we can't criticize or pressure elected officials to do the right thing because "purity tests" then yeah they'll likely stop it

Barzul

If you combine the growing politicization of the Court with the increasing use of the Senate filibuster, it is even easy to see the outlines of a future constitutional crisis. If we come to see Roberts and his colleagues as a kind of all-powerful super-legislature settling all final partisan disputes, how likely is the teetering Senate tradition of letting presidents pick ideologically congenial justices to continue? Imagine Republican senators, facing the constant threat of tea-party primary challenges, letting a second-term Obama replace a conservative justice. Hard, isn’t it?

The bolded. Fucking prescient.

I have never tasted alcohol and can't understand the fuss over it.

#teetotal
#funatparties

It effects the same neuroreceptors as xanax, as well as a few other ones. That's the basic draw. It's also the only legal way to experience an altered state of consciousness barring drinking too much cough syrup, I guess.

Legalize it all!

#RonNotRand

Hopfrog

How do some of you handle politics without booze?

That is a serious question.

Scotch and bourbon drinker here, by the way. Clear liquor cannot be trusted.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Alcohol is purely purely social for me. I think it would be dangerous for me if I ever let it become anything else

It effects the same neuroreceptors as xanax, as well as a few other ones. That's the basic draw. It's also the only legal way to experience an altered state of consciousness barring drinking too much cough syrup, I guess.

Legalize it all!

#RonNotRand

"A few other ones" try every major receptor involved in pleasure like mu opioid, dopamine, glutamate, and more.

There are lots of legal consciousness altering substances but they tend to be toxic or dumb (overdosing on dxm or anticholinergics for example).

Edit: can't forget cannabinoid either.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Phil Galewitz‏ @philgalewitz

..@SenJohnThune says thinks some Democrats would vote for "skinny repeal"..that eliminates indiv/employer mandate and med device tax.....

IN WHAT UNIVERSE

Hopfrog said:

Easily. I don't drink at all.

sphagnum

Banned

Alcohol tastes bad and I don't like losing my sobriety. I also have had alcoholic family members and don't want to go down that path.

Hopfrog

Alcohol tastes bad and I don't like losing my sobriety. I also have had alcoholic family members and don't want to go down that path.

I should have appended to that - a serious question but also partly tongue-in-cheek. I do realize that some people a. Do not like it and b. Have addiction issues/bad experiences with family members with addiction issues.

KingK

I drink maybe once a month with friends. I used to drink more, but I don't even really enjoy it much anymore and getting drunk just severely exacerbates my depression almost every time now. Beer is my favorite. Rum is my favorite liquor.

I smoke a lot of weed though. Which kinda sucks because I'm moving next week, and all the friends I have down there don't smoke but they drink all the fucking time.

And it dehydrates your skin.

I am fanatical about the maintenance of my epidermis. No smoking, no drinking, as little sunlight as possible, SPF 50 - the works. If I want to run for office, I have to look young.

kirblar

If you think people are drinking it for the taste you are wildly missing the point.

(my taste resembles Jake Gyllenhall's character in Zodiac, a reference no one ever gets)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom