• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a conservative ideological perspective or from a GOP political perspective, it's really shitty. It doesn't give them room on tax cuts, it puts them even more on the hook for market collapse, and it doesn't particularly cut the welfare state. That's why I think the conference bill will be something bigger.

But that conference bill would then have to go back through the whole process again. Also keep in mind that they're still taking their recess and they still have to start working on taxes and the budget.

Kusagari

But it will link them to the inevitable collapse of the market. You can't blame Obama while touting your victory at the same time.

That's what I don't get.

Trump's plan to do nothing and just sabotage the markets internally literally makes more sense.

With this they're getting on record with a vote on health care. That's all the public will see.

That's what I don't get.

Trump's plan to do nothing and just sabotage the markets internally literally makes more sense.

With this they're getting on record with a vote on health care. That's all the public will see.

They are up against a catch 22. Doing nothing and waiting means you failed in the eyes of the people who voted for you. No one is going to sit around waiting for the market to collapse and keep voting in republicans telling you it will collapse and screw you over and then replace it. Skinny will speed the process up though which jeopardizes them even sooner but also gives them a "win"

Eh, they own whatever happens with health care now. It doesn't really work to blame the former president after you pass something. You own it now.

Loudninja

They are up against a catch 22. Doing nothing and waiting means you failed in the eyes of the people who voted for you. No one is going to sit around waiting for the market to collapse and keep voting in republicans telling you it will collapse and screw you over and then replace it. Skinny will speed the process up though which jeopardizes them even sooner but also gives them a "win"
Which is not really a win such goddamn mess.

Barzul

HFC already said skinny repeal is no go. It's dead without them. It's why I see conference is the end goal and if that happens, healthcare doesn't happen this year. Senators will go on recess and congress prepares to start campaigning and who wants to have to deal with healthcare on the campaign trail?

The interesting thing will be whether the word obamacare is even used anymore by republicans. They are passing a "repeal" but they will probably still talk about obamacare ruining everything...mess

Hopfrog

A "win" at this point simply means "passing something with the word repeal in the bill". They could call it the Obama is the Greatest President Ever and Oh Yeah Repeal Reconciliation Act of 2017 and all that would matter is that they could campaign that they kept their promise to "repeal".

AndyD

aka andydumi
A "win" at this point simply means "passing something with the word repeal in the bill". They could call it the Obama is the Greatest President Ever and Oh Yeah Repeal Reconciliation Act of 2017 and all that would matter is that they could campaign that they kept their promise to "repeal".

Repealing the mandate is enough as that's the one thing that can resonate with an individual. "I don't have to buy insurance, but I can choose to."

But that conference bill would then have to go back through the whole process again. Also keep in mind that they're still taking their recess and they still have to start working on taxes and the budget.
It would, but now that Rand has had his clean repeal voted down and signaled that he's open to more, with him + Moran + Lee, they'd only need to pick off Murkowski or Capito to get a more aggressive Medicaid-cutting m bill through that would allow for their tax bill as well. And I just don't have that much faith in all three moderate darlings. One or two? Sure. But not all three.

Frank Thorp V‏Verified account @frankthorp 11m11 minutes ago
More
Replying to @frankthorp
Dem health care motion to send health care bill to committees FAILS (as expected) on a party line vote, 48-50.

Mavericking gone :-\

This process is literally, "We can't get anything else passed, so lets just piece this bill that covers a sixth of the economy together over 48 hours and vote on it". Just imagine if the Dems were doing this...

Cornyn apparently said on the floor that they should pass the skinny repeal and Congress should call it a day.

That would be political suicide. Proceed, Senator.

EDIT: Casey is my Senator and I like him but good lord the mans voice is coma inducing.

Wilsongt

This process is literally, "We can't get anything else passed, so lets just piece this bill that covers a sixth of the economy together over 48 hours and vote on it". Just imagine if the Dems were doing this...

Republicans would focus solely on the economy and not mention anything about people literally dying if Democrats did this.

People are literally. Going. To. Die. And all that oranged faced, disgusting xenophobe cares about is "winning"

kess

Someone needs to make a thread over on OT about the "Skinny Repeal" because half of the posters seem to think this is over.

Sometimes I think OT needs an all-encompassing civics thread - not political discussion and focus on actual races and policies, but just a primer on how government actually fucking works. Our education system has failed in that regard, and unfortunately, a lot of people lack the time or intellectual curiosity to learn on their own. (Strange, considering how this forum prides itself on being educated and liberal... but whatever.)

Hopfrog

tbf, Trump was going to do skinny repeal through executive action pretty much anyway.

This just means Congress can't get away with it.

This is what I keep trying to wrap my head around. They could have done what skinny repeal proposes in a much more opaque way that would have been harder to tie to them. Now, if they pass it, there will be a handy piece of legislation with a whole bunch of Republican names to attach to it that the Democrats can point to when the market fails.

They are either the cleverest and most arrogant politicians ever or the dumbest.

Sometimes I think OT needs an all-encompassing civics thread - not political discussion and focus on actual races and policies, but just a primer on how government actually fucking works. Our education system has failed in that regard, and unfortunately, a lot of people lack the time or intellectual curiosity to learn on their own. (Strange, considering how this forum prides itself on being educated and liberal... but whatever.)

Agreed.

Considering most of what I thought I knew I found out this year was meaningless agreements that can be overridden easily, I think we all need new civics education anyway.

sangreal

They'll all just quit the exchanges.

and people will blame the party that just repealed obamacare

actual skinny repeal makes zero sense. using it as a ploy to come up with a new bill in conference makes sense but then you have people like rand paul saying they wont support that

Dr. Worm

Banned

I would be willing to help make one of these, if it comes to this.

Though I don't think anyone here is ready to either write or read about the arcane Senate rules and whatnot.

A nice summary of what the skinny repeal would mean if all it does is remove the individual mandate. With information from the SCOTUS ACA ruling:

Mike Sacks‏Verified account
@MikeSacksEsq

So that "skinny repeal" of pretty much just the individual mandate has me thinking about the SCOTUS dissent in the 2012 Obamacare case.

Mike Sacks‏Verified account @MikeSacksEsq 28m28 minutes ago

Scalia, Kennedy, Thomas, Alito found the mandate unconstitutional, but believed it too integral to the ACA to let rest of law stand.

Mike Sacks‏Verified account
@MikeSacksEsq

The dissenters believed the ACA would be so catastrophically unworkable without the individual mandate that the whole law must fall instead.

Mike Sacks‏Verified account @MikeSacksEsq 23m23 minutes ago

They believed killing the mandate would bring "unnecessary risks and avoidable uncertainties...hostile to...safety & welfare of the Nation"

DFsE9HmWAAEG4gX.jpg

Mike Sacks‏Verified account @MikeSacksEsq 22m22 minutes ago

"If those risks and uncertainties are to be imposed, it must not be by the Judiciary." And true enough, the Senate's choosing to impose them

Mike Sacks‏Verified account @MikeSacksEsq 19m19 minutes ago

So should Senate GOP pass, and House GOP agrees to, and POTUS sign this "skinny repeal," who's responsible for its risks & uncertainties?

Atlagev

Abso-fucking-lutely. I work with mostly liberal-minded people with masters degrees, some of whom somehow don't know how often House seats are up for re-election, how the Supreme Court actually *works* ("Why can't they just step in and block Trump's executive orders?"), and actually think things like a flat tax are a good idea.

UCBooties

What do we think is going to happen should Dems have the White House, the House, and 50+ Senators after the 2020 Elections?

I'd guess a lot bills designed to shore up some of the law's coverage gaps and try to entice insurers and customers back to the exchanges. Maybe a big Medicaid expansion to try to throw a life preserver to some of the states that previously refused.

I doubt even in a scenario where the Dems have full control that we'd see a meaningful push for Single Payer. The Democrats are far too fractious and skittish for that.

But even if 2018 is a bloodbath I'm not confident in the House flipping. I think the most likely scenario is that there will be another very close Presidential election and if a Democrat defeats Trump they are going to come in to office faced with a wounded but still Majority Republican House and rely on one or two moderate GOP to throw in compromise votes in the Senate.

What do we think is going to happen should Dems have the White House, the House, and 50+ Senators after the 2020 Elections?

I hate to say it but the only way to save healthcare at that point might be to kill the filibuster. We aren't ever getting 8-10 Republican votes on healthcare. A lot of what would fix the ACA can't be passed through reconciliation and certainly a public option couldn't. Skinny repeal is basically a big fuck you to the entire system with not much gained at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom