• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evlar

Banned
chaostrophy said:
Judging from the photos of massive lines I'm seeing, it seems like Chicago is very well equipped as far as polling places go. I heard that the place I voted at has 500 registered voters to handle for the day. Is that a relatively small amount? I noticed another polling place just a couple of blocks away.
Yeah, that's tiny.

artredis1980 said:
how were the crowds in

1. PA
2. VA
3. NC
4. FL
5. CO
6. OH
7. NM
8. IN

I can't speak for today in FL but I drive pass the courthouse here in downtown Tallahassee every day on my way to and from work. It is the early voting location for most of Leon county. I voted when early voted started. I waited about 15 minutes. Since then I have seen the line wrap around the front of the building and into the courtyard. It must have been at least an hour's wait, double on the weekends. I got longer every day as today drew nearer.

the eNeME

Neo Member
Caj814 said:
Hammeramic.jpg

I didn't realize the forum would even allow avatars at these dimensions to go through.:lol
Jesus! is that the size it was on your screen? On mine it was small... Like in the link i posted...

But whatever, it's fixed now either way.

Caj814

TomServo said:
QQ?

I don't like either candidate. I think both will be a disaster. McCain will be less of a disaster, if only because of an opposition Congress. Obama will be an unmitigated disaster, but the upside is that we might actually return to smaller government and following the Constitution in the wake of such a mess.

I really don't give a damn which one of them wins. If anything, I passed my vote along to my family, who've fallen into the lesser-of-two-evils trap and are voting for McCain.

Honestly, the last President I would have been proud to cast a vote for is Eisenhower.
av0d2qjpg.gif

Drinky Crow said:
and his 70% tax rate on the rich, as well as the christian appeasement ("...under god") that occurred under his presidency? you suck at libertarianism! i ask that you relinquish your moniker so as not to tarnish the great name of tom servo, and take up one we can all accept, like archie bunker or augusto pinochet.

:lol

Sharp

TomServo said:
QQ?

I don't like either candidate. I think both will be a disaster. McCain will be less of a disaster, if only because of an opposition Congress. Obama will be an unmitigated disaster, but the upside is that we might actually return to smaller government and following the Constitution in the wake of such a mess.

I really don't give a damn which one of them wins. If anything, I passed my vote along to my family, who've fallen into the lesser-of-two-evils trap and are voting for McCain.

Honestly, the last President I would have been proud to cast a vote for is Eisenhower.
"Opposition congress" does not magically turn an awful president into a good one, or even one who is mediocre to poor. If things are going well it helps prevent rash decisions from making things much worse quickly, but right now things are going terribly. An opposition congress just keeps everyone in gridlock at a time that the government should be doing something. In particular, I have no idea how the hell you could believe that McCain would more closely adhere to the constitution than a constitutional law professor, especially after he appointed a VP who clearly knows virtually nothing about either the constitution or our judicial system.

shidoshi said:
+1 for Obama in NE, even though there's no chance in hell of him winning this state.
Given the way your state awards its electoral votes, he can still win an electoral college vote even if he loses the state.

the eNeME said:
Jesus! is that the size it was on your screen? On mine it was small... Like in the link i posted...

PhanterLotus explained it: you're avatar can only be 90x120 pixels in dimensions. Yours was way to long, even if the forum resized it.

Glad you changed it, or you'd be permanently stuck with a shitty avatar given to you by the mods. ;)

I voted early.

I had hoped that various commitments (work, and judging a table-top tourney in the evening) would keep me from the drama and obsession of watching all day...

But my second son was born yesterday (hooray!) and now I'm surfing all day inbetween caring for him and my wife! :lol

And no, I did not name him Barack or Obama...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
the eNeME said:

No, it was smaller but still way too long (and the filesize was too big). He just posted the original, un-resized version of your old avatar. Your new one looks good though, good job.

CBS News:

Ohio: Ohio wait times are upto 4 hours in some locations

Florida: Florida has longer lines than early voting, unprecedented turnout

Pittsburg, PA: Voters getting robocalls that democrats will only vote on November 5th

Virginia: NAACP filed a lawsuit to allow more hours for voting because of machine issues but the judge refused, he did allow however to use curbside voting and if you are in line at 7pm you will be allowed to vote, even if you get to the machine at 10

Ohio, Virginia, Florida and Colorado will have the highest number of provisional ballots

Ignatz Mouse said:
I voted early.

I had hoped that various commitments (work, and judging a table-top tourney in the evening) would keep me from the drama and obsession of watching all day...

But my second son was born yesterday (hooray!) and now I'm surfing all day inbetween caring for him and my wife! :lol

And no, I did not name him Barack or Obama...

You named him Hussein???

That's just mean.

charlequin said:
+2 FOR THE NEXT LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD Y'ALLS

(Also Kerry for Senate, No on Eliminate MA State Income Tax, Yes on Decriminalize Marijuana, Yes on Banning Greyhound Racing.)

We did a celebratory terrorist fist-bump on the way out of the polls.
Decriminalize marijuana is on the ballot?! Holy shit, Massachusetts here I come!

Barrett2

artredis1980 said:
CBS News:

Pittsburg, PA: Voters getting robocalls that democrats will only vote on November 5th

Virginia: NAACP filed a lawsuit to allow more hours for voting because of machine issues but the judge refused, he did allow however to use curbside voting and if you are in line at 7pm you will be allowed to vote, even if you get to the machine at 10

Ohio, Virginia, Florida and Colorado will have the highest number of provisional ballots

What the fuck is wrong with Ohio? Why is that state so ass-backwards every major election?

Drinky Crow said:
and his 70% tax rate on the rich, as well as the christian appeasement ("...under god") that occurred under his presidency? you suck at libertarianism! i ask that you relinquish your moniker so as not to tarnish the great name of tom servo, and take up one we can all accept, like archie bunker or augusto pinochet.

:lol

Drinky Crow said:

51oya1.gif

Tamanon

Banned
Well McCain picked a crappy state in Colorado to hold a rally TODAY.

Apparently they're already at 70% turnout from early voting only.:lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
artredis1980 said:
CBS News:

lawl I will shit bricks if Pittspuke inbreds actually fall for that shit.

rhino4evr

artredis1980 said:
CBS News:

Ehh...the early voter lines were much longer in S.Florida. Most people waited at least 2-4 hours. Some 8. Early voting does not save you time, unless you mail in yout ballot.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
lawblob said:
What the fuck is wrong with Ohio? Why is that state so ass-backwards every major election?

We don't have enough money to run proper elections. Maybe if all our jobs hadn't been outsourced to CHINA

Sysgen

Sharp said:
"Opposition congress" does not magically turn an awful president into a good one, or even one who is mediocre to poor. If things are going well it helps prevent rash decisions from making things much worse quickly, but right now things are going terribly. An opposition congress just keeps everyone in gridlock at a time that the government should be doing something. In particular, I have no idea how the hell you could believe that McCain would more closely adhere to the constitution than a constitutional law professor, especially after he appointed a VP who clearly knows virtually nothing about either the constitution or our judicial system.

How do people think this way? I've heard it numerous times and it makes no sense. The whole point of our system is checks and balances. The Republicans may lose their ability to even filibuster. How is this good unless your a left wing democrat?

TomServo

Drinky Crow said:

How about Nero?

Maybe proud was too strong of a word.

I'm also not a libertarian.

EDIT: Man, I've got GAF riled up this morning. Where did I say McCain would follow the Constitution? Maybe it's tough for you numbskulls, but I don't like either one of them. I genuinely don't give a shit who wins, because both of them are horrible, and our country will be worse off because of them.

I voted for McCain for the lulz, and that's exactly what I'm getting. Thanks!

+1 Obama in PA. Line only took about 20 minutes to get through, but that was because my name falls between N-Z. The A-M line was out the door and around the block.

Hmm, unprecedented turnout. Good thing or bad thing?

Good: more people could mean more Obama supporters, since he inspired people to go and he has a great GOTV program.

Bad: the majority of people who have voted before today were Obama supporters, so today maybe a lot of the McCain supporters are in the lines.

+1 Obama - San Francisco, CA.

I got in line at 7:15 AM, though it was still about a 45 minute wait until I was able to start filling out my ballet. The polling place was a small home garage. Still, I can't complain. I feel for those who have to deal with 4-8 hours in line to vote.

Afterwards, I exercised my right as an American to get a free tall coffee from Starbucks. :lol

DrEvil

not a medical professional
That kid on MSNBC is in the tank for McCain... the girl is an Obamagirl though.. lmao.

ECOCONY, HEALTH CARE, WAAARR,

It's all their LEAADDERSS

The Girl is much smarter (well, she's 13, he's only 11).. but still, hilarious the difference.

edit: lol she wants to be a journalist, and he wants to be the president.. go figure.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sysgen said:
How do people think this way? I've heard it numerous times and it makes no sense. The whole point of our system is checks and balances. The Republicans may lose their ability to even filibuster. How is this good unless your a left wing democrat?

The Supreme Court is still conservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom