• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Parl said:
Isn't that because barely any governments in the world recognise the Armenian genocide of 1-1.5 million? And maybe they think Obama will be more likely to have it officially recognised so then it becomes a commonly known part of history.

No, I'm thinking it's more likely to be because access to the poll skews heavily towards people who are more likely to be Obama supporters and the sample size of Armenian voters (38) is sufficiently small.

Plinko said:
Just when I think I can stop being worry-GAF for a day and relax, Obama's coal statement comes out.

One more day of this stuff. One more day.

Nothing's going to change no matter what they say now.

gkryhewy

BB, are you watching Scarbs this morning? I am staggered by the degree to which he doesn't get it.

He just went on a righteous rant on wanting a president who emphasizes his supporters rather than himself, who wants to surround himself with the finest advisors to help him make decisions, etc., etc.

Anyone who has been paying any kind of attention knows that this is Obama.

Some of these lines are just crazy. Its really silly that voting can take anywhere from 4 to 6 hours at some spots from what I'm reading on line. Just imagine how bad it will be tomorrow although ideally a lot more places should be open. You really are being disenfranchised if it takes that freaking long to vote. Every state should at a minimum have a period of early voting so you aren't placed into a crazy situation on election day.

gkrykewy said:
BB, are you watching Scarbs this morning? I am staggered by the degree to which he doesn't get it.

He just went on a righteous rant on wanting a president who emphasizes his supporters rather than himself, who wants to surround himself with the finest advisors to help him make decisions, etc., etc.

A pretty common Republican position at this point is to try to burn down both houses because they are unhappy with their candidate and they are staring at the prospect of a loss.

Parl

iapetus said:
No, I'm thinking it's more likely to be because access to the poll skews heavily towards people who are more likely to be Obama supporters and the sample size of Armenian voters (38) is sufficiently small.
Makes sense. I didn't bother to check the source.

gkrykewy said:

Absolutely. The entire argument is fundamentally unsound. Blinders the size of Texas.

PPP north carolina stats:
Obama led 55-45 among those who said they had already voted
among those planning to vote on election day John McCain leads 56-42.

PPP Florida stats:
Obama has built up a a 56-43 lead among early voters
John McCain has a 54-42 lead among those folks planning to vote Tuesday

the discrepancy...it is vast.

Leonsito

kkaabboomm said:

PPP Florida stats:

I fear McCain will get FL :(

woeds

kkaabboomm said:

PPP Florida stats:

That's closer than I would've liked...

Haunted

iapetus said:
http://www.iftheworldcouldvote.com/results

Interesting (to me) snippets:

Armenia is 100% for Obama. Go Armenia!
Nowhere in the world votes for McCain. The closest is Venezuela, where he has 43.2% of the vote.
The UK (including my vote) is 92.6% pro-Obama (probama?).
Forgetting Macedonia, eh?

Still, rather proud of the 92+% my fellow Germans produced.

Look at the outcome of that vote and think which president would improve your standing/status in the eyes of the world, USA. Think,
McFly,
think!

hc2

Haunted said:
Forgetting Macedonia, eh?

Still, rather proud of the 92+% my fellow Germans produced.

Look at the outcome of that vote and think which president would improve your standing/status in the eyes of the world, USA. Think,
McFly,
think!

We don't need no standing, we got bombs.

Diablos

Zogby's gonna jinx this shit! Quick, Zogby, go back to putting McCain in the lead since your polls are usually inaccurate!

Early voting in FL vs. people intending to vote on election day is very telling; Obama may lose it.

Leonsito said:
I fear McCain will get FL :(

I've never really thought of this state as a win for Bams. It has served a purpose, though: It has forced McCain defend what should have been a given. If anything it help spread McCain's campaign too thin : )

Also, I've been waiting for this time for almost 8 years! I can't believe that it's starts in less than 24 hours. If Obama wins I'm hitting the bars all week. It'll be one of the proudest moments for me as an American. And thus, I'll celebrate it accordingly :D

Vestal

Freedom = $1.05 said:
I've never really thought of this state as a win for Bams. It has served a purpose, though: It has forced McCain defend what should have been a given. If anything it help spread McCain's campaign too thin : )

Also, I've been waiting for this time for almost 8 years! I can't believe that it's starts in less than 24 hours. If Obama wins I'm hitting the bars all week. It'll be one of the proudest moments for me as an American. And thus, I'll celebrate it accordingly :D

Ill be doing the same but with either outcome..

If he wins! CELEBRATION!
If he loses.. Drown myself in a bottle of Jack so that I am comatose for the next 4 years.

Monocle

camineet said:
40 hours until Obama becomes President-Elect, give or take a couple hours.
Here's hoping. Don't dare uncross those fingers until the results roll in.

A+ for whoever came up with the thread title, by the way.

Diablos

If Obama can't win FL, I hope he can still take OH. That will basically secure his victory.

He should be able to win one of the two.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
gkrykewy said:

Why don't these assholes stop digging themselves further and just tone in down a bit? They're not doing anyone, especially the country, a favor. It's now clear that there's 98% chance Obama will be our next President. Yet these shits are still doing what they can to try and convince people to hate him, for reasons pulled out of their asses. Not very patriotic.

grandjedi6 said:
11khai9.jpg

Its time for me to drift off to sleep though so I'll finish that last bit tomorrow I suppose
Wait WHAT!?!

I'm on one of those lists? :lol :lol
That's total surprise to me. I mostly lurk here. But I see poligaf wasn't so "big" back then.

woeds

Diablos said:
If Obama can't win FL, I hope he can still take OH. That will basically secure his victory.

He should be able to win one of the two.
He doesn't even need to. Guys, if you feel a bit anxious and want to be reassured then visit this site and play around: http://www.270towin.com/

NM+CO+PA is enough. Everything else (NC, FL, IA, VA, OH) is extra

Chrono

Banned
So when will Obama/Biden start announcing cabinet members? Will there be some announced this month?

I can't wait to see who's the Secretary of State, I have a feeling it'll either be Kerry or Hagel.

Diablos

woeds said:
He doesn't even need to. Guys, if you feel a bit anxious and want to be reassured then visit this site and play around: http://www.270towin.com/

NM+CO+PA is enough. Everything else (NC, FL, IA, VA, OH) is extra
That's why I said it secures his victory. He's way over the top if he wins OH, too. It's like... electoral insurance. :D

New Quinnipiac University polls:

FLORIDA: Obama 47, McCain 45
OHIO: Obama 50, McCain 43
PENNSYLVANIA: Obama 52, McCain 42

Date range is Oct. 27-Nov. 2nd.

Souldriver said:
Wait WHAT!?!

I'm on one of those lists? :lol :lol
That's total surprise to me. I mostly lurk here. But I see poligaf wasn't so "big" back then.

I'm not even on the list and I made the top 10 for the past two Poli-threads. :lol

P.S. Saw Jon King's PA layout last night. Southeast of PA is solid DEM and contributes to a third of PA's votes. No way will McCain win the state. :D

for those thinking the nov 4 voters will chose McCain in NC and FL

look at this:

in FL, 54% of 2004 voters have already voted, and this is where Obama leads 55-44

in NC, 74% of the 2004 voters have voted already and this is where Obama leads 53-46

IN florida, 4,107,894 people had already voted till yesterday, the total in 2004 was 7,640,319

IN NC, 2,573,899 people had already voted as of November 1st!, the total in 2004 was 3,552,449

Kildace

Fragamemnon said:
New Quinnipiac University polls:

FLORIDA: Obama 47, McCain 45
OHIO: Obama 50, McCain 43
PENNSYLVANIA: Obama 52, McCain 42

Date range is Oct. 27-Nov. 2nd.

Tightening. In my pants.

What will ensure an Obama win in Florida, Georgia and NC is

1. The African-American turnout
2. The Youth vote
3. The Hispanic vote
4. The Jewish vote (fL only(

woeds

artredis1980 said:

look at this:

in FL, 54% of 2004 voters have already voted, and this is where Obama leads 55-44
in NC, 74% of the 2004 voters have voted already and this is where Obama leads 53-46
IN florida, 4,107,894 people had already voted till yesterday, the total in 2004 was 7,640,319

IN NC, 2,573,899 people had already voted as of November 1st!, the total in 2004 was 3,552,449
Wow, I didn't realize early voting was that popular this year. Bring on the hopium :D

for McCain to win in NC, he would have to have NC's come out and vote in a number nearing 2.1 million on ELection day, that means the total of 4.8 million TOTAL, thats 1.7 million more than those who voted in 2004, which is impossible

For McCain to win in FL, he would have to FLs to come out and vote in a number nearing 5 million on Election day, that means a total of 9 million TOTAL, thats 2 million more than those who voted in 2003, which is impossible

Haunted

iapetus said:
As evidenced by the 80+% Obama received on that site... from US citizens. :p

Although that result would make for some awesome tuesday night entertainment. :lol

A further note. McCain has no money left for his ground game, Obama has more than 100 million for his ground game. he has a number greater than 250,000 volunteer his GOTV effort in all battleground states, McCain does know what he has coming for him, the Old geasers in florida will look at the long line and go back home

artredis1980 said:

look at this:

wow thanks that's good info to have!

Listen, why have GAF been focusing so much on the % of the early vote as a % of 2004's total voters? It is extremely difficult to predict turnout. Wouldn't the more relevant measure be the % of early vote as a % of the TOTAL registered voters?

Haunted

artredis1980 said:
A further note. McCain has no money left for his ground game, Obama has more than 100 million for his ground game. he has a number greater than 250,000 volunteer his GOTV effort in all battleground states, McCain does know what he has coming for him, the Old geasers in florida will look at the long line and go back home
Nah, old geezers have nothing better to do anyway. There's no one more relentless than old people with an agenda.

I'd be more worried about the youth vote turnout, although the enthusiasm hype train doesn't seem to run out of steam, thankfully. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom