• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
Squirrel Killer said:
Ugh, I'm gutted. Absentee ballots finally came in, and while I'm fine, one personal friend of mine went from a comfortable lead to a sizable loss, and another personal friend went from one vote back to 1,500. A third friend, whose race I had completely written off, did manage to hold on to a narrow victory.
huh? what races are those? sorry.

Marvie_3

Banned
Norm Coleman 1,118,485 - 42%
Al Franken 1,113,874 - 42%
93% reporting

Hennepin at 86% - Franken leads by ~85,000
St. Louis at 68% - Franken leads by ~21,000
Wright at 87% - Coleman leads by ~10,500
Stearns at 77% - Coleman leads by ~7,500
Sherburne at 90% - Coleman leads by ~9,700

Zeliard

Colorado, Florida, Indiana, Virginia, North Carolina, Ohio. All voted red in 2004, and all went blue this time around.

Friggin' crazy.

Son of Godzilla said:
Just scrolling over the map, that whole center part of the state is under reported and has Coleman leading decently.
Well, not all counties are equal. Some have voters in the hundreds, some have them in the hundreds of thousands. Still, feeling less confident than I did a few minutes ago.

MoneyBeets

Neo Member
sorry i'm sure this was posted already but were any of you guys bummed out by mccains speech? it actually made me misty-eyed a bit and temporarily killed my obama buzz

ToxicAdam

Zeliard said:
Colorado, Florida, Indiana, Virginia, North Carolina, Ohio. All voted red in 2004, and all went blue this time around.

Friggin' crazy.

I think we are going to see quite a lot of Obamacons in those states.

smurfx

get some go again
btw are there any videos of various news channels announcing obama winning the precidency? i was only able to watch the msnbc one. i want to watch fox news and others.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
speculawyer said:
WTF? GOP = PARTY OF FELONS confirmed.
ehhhh let's not get carried away. there's some skeletons on both sides of the aisle. I think the general theme here should be "Congress is no enemy of felons." :lol

AlexMogil

I watched a lot of Fox tonight between MSNBC and CNN.

Fox did a really good job. They told the election from the "What John McCain had to do next" handle as opposed to "What does Obama win next?" When Obama won, they were genuinely gracious, no meltdowns I saw.

And Shep Smith just jacked that fucker Nader.

segarr

Vestal said:
Just rewatched Keith Olbermann calling the election for Obama, he was choking up big time.. Would have loved to watch his face, it really seemed to mean alot to him.

Is there a video of this?

Hell, is there a video of EVERYTHING? I want to suck in every little peace of media from this. Seriously, does anyone remember in "I Am Legend" when Neville watches old news clips? I will literally do that for CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News if I could find all the material....:lol :lol :lol

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
EricM85 said:
This was funny, well played.

Congrats to Obama supporters, enjoy it. Hopefully we'll actually get a TRUE conservative in the next election. I'm really hoping this loss leads the GOP away from the neo-con bullshit they've been preching these past years and back to true conservativism.

It's going to take another big loss, after running a super far right candidate, before the Republican party is going to decide that they need a new approach.

MoneyBeets said:
sorry i'm sure this was posted already but were any of you guys bummed out by mccains speech? it actually made me misty-eyed a bit and temporarily killed my obama buzz

No. It was the first honorable and genuine thing he's done this entire campaign.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
SoulPlaya said:
To be absolutley fair, Nader brought up some great points. It's obvious, though, that he is getting desparate for attention.
yeh. I thought the reporter was just being outraged like fair and balanced people usually get when someone does anything remotely controversial.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Zeliard said:

Friggin' crazy.
give howard dean his dues. the man deserves some respect for his 50 state strategy.

mamacint said:
Well, not all counties are equal. Some have voters in the hundreds, some have them in the hundreds of thousands. Still, feeling less confident than I did a few minutes ago.

He seems to have a decent enough chance if he can stay within 12k while the red counties patch up.

Tobor

MoneyBeets said:

Maybe if his ungrateful, hateful supporters had shown some grace at the end. At least he tried to shush them and regain some dignity.

Chris R

Know this isn't the best spot, but what did everyone else think of the CNN hologram shit? I was loling all over the place when that came on the first time :lol

Diablos

Sooo it looks like when this is all said and done, we are looking at an electoral map of 378 O/160 M. Considering how divided this country is, that's a landslide as far as I can tell! This country was different when guys like Reagan were able to just swoop in and totally wreck the electoral map for Democrats. The country isn't like that anymore, both the last two elections and even the popular vote even this year (which is pretty much split right down the middle) prove this. So, yeah, you are looking at the makings of a modern day landslide, folks.

MoneyBeets

Neo Member
CharlieDigital said:
No. It was the first honorable and genuine thing he's done this entire campaign.

It killed me when he said something about putting the blame on himself and not his supporters...I wonder how their relationship will pan out in January

Is anyone else drunk?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
MoneyBeets said:

It's hard to watch (just about) anyone lose in such a public way. It's even harder to watch McCain because, in his concession speech, you could see that little glimmer of the old McCain that many of us liked and admired.

Askia47

We finally do something right....Obama is President. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hell Yes!!

Thanks to everyone in the struggle throughout history to make this happen. Thank God and the American people.

Pachael

Ventron said:
Disgusting. Rudd is completely disgusting.

He's trying to play politics for himself over this by attributing Howard's personal comments to the entire Liberal party? Expected from a government who hasn't been doing any good for this country since they were elected. He'd better be a bloody 1-termer.

Let me guess. Next election he'll try and avoid Rudd vs Turnbull (which he'll be decimated in) to make it all about Rudd vs. ghost-of-Howard. He's always been the bullshitter and I expect the next election to be no different.

No, Rudd's fantastic. He's for change, and Howard's against change 'When you change the prime minister, you change the entire country'. Or did you not get the memo last year?

Rudd will last at least two terms and he'll get along with Obama a lot better, they're almost from the same pod (fresh faces, young, ran on change against unpopular incumbent party).

Bagels said:
It's going to take another big loss, after running a super far right candidate, before the Republican party is going to decide that they need a new approach.

Mitt Romney is the answer. Now that they've seen a black guy get elected, there's no reason why a white Mormon can't be elected. He's their own Harvard educated intellectual that represents a shift towards centrist governance (at least compared to someone like Palin or Huckabee).

Most importantly, I think they need to just flat out ditch the far right socially conservative elements of their party. We are ready to move forward on many of these social issues (heck, most of the developed world has already).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Brobzoid said:
yeh. I thought the reporter was just being outraged like fair and balanced people usually get when someone does anything remotely controversial.

BS, Nader can bring up his wingnut "arguements" about the industrial military complex without calling Obama a house n$%(&T.

Takuhi

Ha! I'm hitting refresh on like seven different political blogs and news sites trying to keep up with the remaining races out there, but clearly I can get it all right off of NeoGAF. You're as good as any political commentators out there, random video-game fans.

Results for the other CA props on www.latimes.com, for whoever asked.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, another reason people might've been willing to vote for Stevens is that if he is forced to step down, then Palin names the replacement and the Republicans keep that seat.

Clevinger

Brobzoid said:

Nader didn't say anything controversial, he said something stupid like he always does.

Rindain

Banned
Will Missouri even bother holding a recount of the presidential results? It certainly looks like the race will be only a few hundred apart once all precincts are in.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Squirrel Killer said:
Ugh, I'm gutted. Absentee ballots finally came in, and while I'm fine, one personal friend of mine went from a comfortable lead to a sizable loss, and another personal friend went from one vote back to 1,500. A third friend, whose race I had completely written off, did manage to hold on to a narrow victory.
who?

Marvie_3

Banned
Norm Coleman 1,138,926 - 42%
Al Franken 1,138,009 - 42%
94% reporting

Hennepin at 90% - Franken leads by ~90,000
St. Louis at 68% - Franken leads by ~21,000
Wright at 87% - Coleman leads by ~10,500
Stearns at 89% - Coleman leads by ~9,500
Sherburne at 90% - Coleman leads by ~9,700

MoneyBeets

Neo Member
Bagels said:
It's hard to watch (just about) anyone lose in such a public way. It's even harder to watch McCain because, in his concession speech, you could see that little glimmer of the old McCain that many of us liked and admired.

Yeah. And that frosty ass Cindy McCain afterward! I wanted to smack a ho.

Dude it's hilarious that your name is "Bagels"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom