• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Scarlet

AppleMIX said:
It's not my fault half my state is retarded. :p

Don't feel too bad. 2/3 of mine was. I was literally one in a thousand. :(

wyomingsux.png

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I went to bed nervous, so this is a very pleasant surprise. The way it was meant to be, but I feared wouldn't.

Awesome work Obama.

Gruco

Banned
Squirrel Killer said:
Personally, I'd give more credit to Obama for making Dean's 50 state strategy work. No way Hillary pulls out this big of a win. Obama had the charisma and personal connection to be able to raise enough money and volunteers to make the strategy work.
Call it a team effort. Dean got the early infrastructure in place and Bams provided the popular appeal and the operating efficiency to finish what Dean started.

Seth C

BakedPigeon said:
Landslide? He won by 5 million votes. Not what I would call a landslide.

Ya I know he cleaned up on the EV, I guess I would just like to see Americas election system change. I can dream right? Once again congrats Obama.

edit - i am probably talking out of my ass actually, i havent seen the latest overall poll. disregard my comments, sorry.

The key here is that we elect out President based on EVs, so by that definition he has achieved a landslide. Obviously, the popular vote total would be a different sort of landslide entirely.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
CharlieDigital said:
Mitt Romney is the answer. Now that they've seen a black guy get elected, there's no reason why a white Mormon can't be elected. He's their own Harvard educated intellectual that represents a shift towards centrist governance (at least compared to someone like Palin or Huckabee).

Most importantly, I think they need to just flat out ditch the far right socially conservative elements of their party. We are ready to move forward on many of these social issues (heck, most of the developed world has already).

Do you think they can win without the super-devoted religious nutjob base? It's really interesting to me that Palin was such a double-edged sword for McCain. On the one hand, she fired up his base - Sean's discussion of the ground game on 538 constantly makes mention of the fact that McCain had zero volunteer support until Palin came along. However, the polls all showed that McCain kept bleeding other supporters (presumably more moderate Republicans. My mom, a moderate who perhaps leans slightly to the right, completely bailed on McCain after the Palin pick. She HATES Palin) as they learned what a joke Palin is.

The problem is, how do you get moderate Republicans, quasi-Libertarians, and Evangelical Christians to all support the same guy? McCain picks a moderate veep, say Lieberman, and he loses the Evangelicals. Pick Sarah Palin and you lose the moderates and the quasi-Libertarians.

I'm not sure that Romney is the answer. On paper he sounds good - socially conservative, but with some business know-how and some appeal to moderates. But looking at the primaries, his support was always lukewarm at best. I guess you can't halfway appeal to each of the core Republican groups, you've got to get some of them excited about you, enough so to drag all the others along.

I'm super interested to see what the Repubs do next.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This McCain guy conceding is much better than that McCain guy from yesterday. His audience is a bunch of fucking idiots though.

I guess he's learned the lesson. To thine own self be true.
Greenpanda said:
i am one angry guy

ban suicide?

Tobor

EricM85 said:
Exactly. We need to ditch this Ayers shit we tried to do during this election and embrace intellectual conservatism. We need another Buckley.

Which means ditching Palin, and telling Jindal to shut up about exorcisms.

I'd love nothing more than a Republican/Democrat discourse on actual issues, instead of boogeymen and irrational fears.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
CharlieDigital said:
Mitt Romney is the answer. Now that they've seen a black guy get elected, there's no reason why a white Mormon can't be elected. He's their own Harvard educated intellectual that represents a shift towards centrist governance (at least compared to someone like Palin or Huckabee).

Most importantly, I think they need to just flat out ditch the far right socially conservative elements of their party. We are ready to move forward on many of these social issues (heck, most of the developed world has already).

Do you think they can win without the super-devoted religious nutjob base? It's really interesting to me that Palin was such a double-edged sword for McCain. On the one hand, she fired up his base - Sean's discussion of the ground game on 538 constantly makes mention of the fact that McCain had zero volunteer support until Palin came along. However, the polls all showed that McCain kept bleeding other supporters (presumably more moderate Republicans. My mom, a moderate who perhaps leans slightly to the right, completely bailed on McCain after the Palin pick. She HATES Palin) as they learned what a joke Palin is.

The problem is, how do you get moderate Republicans, quasi-Libertarians, and Evangelical Christians to all support the same guy? McCain picks a moderate veep, say Lieberman, and he loses the Evangelicals. Pick Sarah Palin and you lose the moderates and the quasi-Libertarians.

I'm not sure that Romney is the answer. On paper he sounds good - socially conservative, but with some business know-how and some appeal to moderates. But looking at the primaries, his support was always lukewarm at best. I guess you can't halfway appeal to each of the core Republican groups, you've got to get some of them excited about you, enough so to drag all the others along.

harSon said:
I voted against the Proposition but please continue to characterize an entire race of people.

It's just that that's what the numbers reflect.

I find the ironing delicious; a group that had its rights, as humans, stripped from them as slaves and after decades of fighting for civil rights, finally reaches a symbolic level of racial equality, now turns around -- by a large margin -- and decides to strip the rights of another minority group.

It's sad in a funny way.

Shirokun

Diablos said:
Obama won, but I'm still really disappointed in the youth vote, since I represent that age bracket obviously. Utterly pathetic. And it is worrying even looking ahead, because not every election will be this huge; youth voters have the potential to make all the difference in close elections -- 2000 or 2004 would have gone for Democrats if people in my age range would have taken a few minutes out of their day to pull a lever/push a button. Why oh why does my generation and the one before it have such a problem showing up on election day... :\ You wait in a line and vote. It's not hard. It's not challenging. It's not scary. You don't have to do anything but stand in line and vote.

If they didn't vote, they probably didn't care all that much, which means that they probably didn't research candidates enough to make an educated decision.

I'm disappointed in my generation as well, but it would be more disappointing if young people came out en masse and voted on a whim.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Bagels said:

Like you said, the problem is the Republican primaries, if Romney could get out of that, he would have a real shot.

EricM85

Tobor said:
Which means ditching Palin, and telling Jindal to shut up about exorcisms.

I'd love nothing more than a Republican/Democrat discourse on actual issues, instead of boogeymen and irrational fears.

Tobor

Bagels said:

Jindal. He's the Repubs only hope, unless a Latino republican superstar can emerge in the next 8 years.

Ten-Song

Greenpanda said:
I'm a stupid shithead, I'm a stupid shithead, I'm a stupid shithead, I'm a stupid shithead, I'm a stupid shithead, I'm a stupid shithead, I'm a stupid shithead, I'm a stupid shithead, I'm a stupid shithead.

Fixed.

Dead Man

Ventron said:
Disgusting. Rudd is completely disgusting.

He's trying to play politics for himself over this by attributing Howard's personal comments to the entire Liberal party? Expected from a government who hasn't been doing any good for this country since they were elected. He'd better be a bloody 1-termer.

Let me guess. Next election he'll try and avoid Rudd vs Turnbull (which he'll be decimated in) to make it all about Rudd vs. ghost-of-Howard. He's always been the bullshitter and I expect the next election to be no different.
What was he supposed to say? He can't say Howard needs to answer, he is now a private person. Howard was a member of the Liberal party at the time of the comments, which were spoken as the leader of the party, hence the current leadership needs to deal with the consequences of those comments. It's not very complicated. And get your pro-Liberal BS out of this thread :lol

Takuhi

MoneyBeets said:
All I read is from fivethirtyeight:

Youth vote pathetic as usual

This is really misleading. You vote is up one percent as the percentage of the electorate, which is fairly significant in an election with huge increases in turnout among all groups. It's also an accomplishment considering that the youth vote had already risen significantly in 2004.

MSNBC said:
Early reports are indicating that the youngest members of the country's electorate voted Tuesday in higher numbers than in the last presidential election — and they voted more Democratic. Youth turnout appears to be exceeding 2004 levels, which was itself a year with a big surge in voters ages 18 to 29.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27525497/

Seth C

EricM85 said:
Exactly. We need to ditch this Ayers shit we tried to do during this election and embrace intellectual conservatism. We need another Buckley.

Personally I think they need to be fiscal conservatives (really though, not just words) with balanced budgets, vastly reduced federal governments, reduced government involvement, and more state power. That would be a party to give us a different choice. Right now they just spend shit tons of money, create stupid new positions in government, run up the debt, and are only "conservative" as such that those are who they try to appeal to, dishonestly.

yuna55

Guy Legend said:
Waiting for Missouri before I go to sleep....

Same here. And I have to be out the door at 8:30 am for work and might not get home from work until midnight. And I'm sick and should probably call in, but won't. But I want my state to pull it's head out of it's ass!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom